PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite White Sock? (sp)

WhiteSoxNation
01-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Whos ur favorite white sox on the active roster....

Mine's Juan Uribe, because he's fun to watch and swing w/ everything he's got. Sometimes misses :bandance: lol

NonetheLoaiza
01-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm an Aaron Rowand fan. Watching him go after balls in the outfield and especially the year he had last year, he is one of my favorites.

broker3d
01-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Rowand, second would be Buehrle.

HITMEN OF 77
01-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, this should come as no surprise to anyone, mine has to be Konerko.

voodoochile
01-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Sock?

Frank Thomas

MUsoxfan
01-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Rowand. Far and away my favorite player

LongLiveFisk
01-01-2005, 04:50 PM
1) Thomas
2) Rowand

Magglios_Girl
01-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Thomas

Buehrle

Rowand

Uribe

FGarcia34
01-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Freddy Garcia...Just wait and see the numbers this guy will put up next year.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-01-2005, 05:20 PM
El Duque. Rowand or Gload as far as guys that have played in the uniform.

soltrain21
01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Uncle Paulie!

Least favorite is Garland

PicktoCLick72
01-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Timo

cburns
01-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Shingo

munchman33
01-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Frank

SoxFan76
01-01-2005, 06:05 PM
I enjoy watching Frank hit.
I enjoy watching Buerhle pitch.
I enjoy watching Rowand play the game.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2005, 06:09 PM
1) Konerko
2) Buehrle
3) Thomas
4) Rowand
5) ..... A.J. Pierzynski :D:

SoxBoy14
01-01-2005, 06:10 PM
1. Thomas

2. Beuhrle

3. Uribe

Kuzman
01-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm all about the 2 that went to the All-Star game in 2002

SuperSteve
01-01-2005, 06:54 PM
It was Scott Schoeneweis. Now I would say Juan Uribe then Damaso Marte.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2005, 06:59 PM
It was Scott Schoeneweis. Now I would say Juan Uribe then Damaso Marte.
Just out of curiousity, why was it ever Schoe?

SuperSteve
01-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Just out of curiousity, why was it ever Schoe? Saw him pitch a few times. I remember seeing him in Minnesota when he was on the Angels. I really couldn't tell you why he was my favorite, just was. It may have been cause it was different. Anyone can like Frank, Mags, Kong, etc...but, Schoey is different. Most people don't even know who he is.

Chisox003
01-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Rowand and most of the time Uribe....Play the game hard, play it right....That said, its hard to not call Konerko, Buehrle, Frank, Crede etc.,favorites...I like em all....Especially when AJ signs

NonetheLoaiza
01-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I enjoy watching Frank hit.
I enjoy watching Buerhle pitch.
I enjoy watching Rowand play the game.
IMHO, watching Frank hit is one of the sweetest things in the world. When he gits a hold of one deep to left field, its an amazing sight. Throughout the years, he has remained one of my favorite players.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-01-2005, 07:41 PM
i'm surprised with all the people on this board you haven't been crucified for saying sock and not sox.

for me it's all about shingo

RKMeibalane
01-01-2005, 07:41 PM
White Sock? Is that you, Chip?

My favorite Sox player is Frank Thomas.

SoxFan76
01-01-2005, 07:42 PM
IMHO, watching Frank hit is one of the sweetest things in the world. When he gits a hold of one deep to left field, its an amazing sight. Throughout the years, he has remained one of my favorite players.
As a person who played baseball for many years (and admittedly not that good of a player), I always have enjoyed watching him hit. He just doesn't hit home runs. He's so multi-dimensional. Frank is so underappreciated as a hitter. I'm going to be pretty upset once he retires.

jabrch
01-01-2005, 07:42 PM
There's nothing better than a well pitched Mark Buehrle game...nothing... under 2 hours, and a win. I love it!

HomeFish
01-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I always have enjoyed watching him hit. He just doesn't hit home runs. He's so multi-dimensional.

"I'm a home run hitter"
"I'm just going to focus on hitting home runs from now"

Frank might be a good player, but he does manage to offend me sometimes. Still, watching him take a walk is a beautiful thing. The rest of the team should learn from that.

As for favorite, I'd have to say Timo. He is a joy to watch.

WhiteSoxNation
01-01-2005, 07:51 PM
i'm surprised with all the people on this board you haven't been crucified for saying sock and not sox.

for me it's all about shingo

Whos ur favorite white sox? doesnt sound rite. Unless i say who is ur favorite white sox player.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Whos ur favorite white sox? doesnt sound rite. Unless i say who is ur favorite white sox player.
sorry. the singular and plural of sox is sox.

same as fish. i caught a fish. i caught 4 fish.

bafiarocks03
01-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Willie Harris and Paul Konerko!!!

BRDSR
01-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Whos ur favorite white sox on the active roster....

Mine's Juan Uribe, because he's fun to watch and swing w/ everything he's got. Sometimes misses :bandance: lol
My favorite White Sock is the type that has a gray fabric on the toes and the heal and goes up right to the ankle bone on my foot.

Seriously, I've never known if "sock" is how we identify a single member who plays baseball for the collective White Sox. Does anyone know what the convention is? Mine is definitely Paul Konerko though.

Harris=God
01-01-2005, 08:12 PM
:weewillie

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Big hurt followed closely by mark buehrle

zach074
01-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Joe Borchard of course Ok joking aside it used to be Olivo but now i would say Buehrle, the guy strikes me as someone who loves to be a white sox player.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Joe Borchard of course Ok joking aside it used to be Olivo but now i would say Buehrle, the guy strikes me as someone who loves to be a white sox player.
how many times has buehrle said it's his dream to play for st. louis?

NowBatting19
01-01-2005, 08:24 PM
One Dog Jr. Willie Harris.

JGarlandrules20
01-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Garland
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

I definitely think Scotty Po will be on my favs list soon. I like how he plays.

SOXintheBURGH
01-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Marky Mark.

indychisoxfan
01-01-2005, 08:46 PM
I guess I'd have to say Frank Thomas, but only because my favorite is on his way out! Not far behind are Mark Buehrle and Juan Uribe.

stillz
01-01-2005, 08:57 PM
The Big Hurt is the most explosive hitter I've ever seen. He's my fave.

And ever since the drive to the division title in 2000, gotta say I was a big Jose Valentin fan. He liked being a white sox player and I like the way he played the game (errors and strikeouts aside)..

Get well, Frank! Good luck, Jose!

Takatsufan
01-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Shingo Takatsu. I like how you just never know where his pitches come from and how fast they are. Plus he has that amazing intro before he pitches at the Cell.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2005, 09:08 PM
My favorite sock is the one that has its exact match sitting in my sock drawer. That's not something to take for granted.
:wink:

I'm a fan of the Chicago White Sox. Collectively they all are my favorite. However I feel Mark Buehrle is the most talented ballplayer on the team today and Frank Thomas the most talented in franchise history.
:cool:

chisox117
01-01-2005, 09:10 PM
My favorite White Sox = Frank Thomas. I'd say that Konerko probably comes in a distant second to #35.
:gulp:

DVsoxfan
01-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Rowand and Buehrle

JUribe1989
01-01-2005, 09:18 PM
1. Aaron (Crash) Rowand
2. El Duque
3. Timo Perez
4. Shingo Takatsu
5. Mark Buehrle
6. Juan Uribe
7. Jermaine Dye
8. Scott Podsednik
9. Freddy Garcia
10. Neal Cotts

santo=dorf
01-01-2005, 10:28 PM
how many times has buehrle said it's his dream to play for st. louis?None, maybe once depending how well one twists his words. :rolleyes:

I remember him saying something along the lines of "This should put to rest any of that me wanting to play for St. Louis talk" after he signed a 3 year deal.

Mark is my favorite pitcher, but Frank is my favorite player.

konerko1413
01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
mines konerko, hes got a sweet swing, it looks like he puts no effort into the swing, plus hes always a threat to make an outstanding defensive play

Viva Medias B's
01-01-2005, 10:38 PM
:rowand

Be careful about using the phrase "White Sock," for you could find yourself likened to....

:chimp

...who used that phrase often.

Whitesox029
01-01-2005, 10:39 PM
:walnuts
:tongue:I'm here in '05 whether you like it or not!:tongue:
Hey that's a good sig I think to be saved for future use.

Deadguy
01-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Frank and Rowand. Both are friends, live in Vegas during the offseason, have strong work ethics, and are the best players on the team (when healthy).

nccwsfan
01-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Two time (should be three time) AL MVP and the most prolific hitter in Chicago White Sox history....

:hurt

No doubt about it.

Bisco Stu
01-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Hurt, it's been an honor to watch the Pale's greatest player all these years.

P: Burly

VivaOzzie
01-02-2005, 02:56 AM
My favorite is sweet Willie Harris...with a close second going to the huge chew residing in his cheek! (although im convinced it throws off his timing of pitchers, or possibly weighs him down)

k3baseball
01-02-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Frank.

or Aaron!

Or Willie

or good old #56.

Actually, I am looking forward to seeing how all the Sox compete this year. I think I like our depth.

Cowch44
01-02-2005, 03:09 AM
Reading all these makes me realize how much this team has changed.:smile:/:(: Well, I guess Freddy's my favorite player.

BigEdWalsh
01-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Shingo :d:

minastirith67
01-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Frank Thomas

Here's hoping for a sweet rebound!

flo-B-flo
01-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Aaron- hustling and coming into his own
Frank- still gives me goose bumps when I watch old replays.
Buehrle- innings, innings, innings
Marte- untapped potential
Uribe- just plays. fun to watch
And I believe Scott P. will be my kind of Sox player
GO-GO SOC I mean SOX!!

fquaye149
01-02-2005, 04:28 PM
My favorite player is Frank, of course...but out of all the up and comers I really like Buehrle, A-Row, and Scotty Po.

One player I like despite myself is Cotts. I think he's got a chance to be somebody...despite the overall sentiment of this board

BridgePortNative
01-02-2005, 04:30 PM
can I say enough?

TimoPerez
01-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Timo Perez

SOXSINCE'70
01-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm an Aaron Rowand fan. Watching him go after balls in the outfield and especially the year he had last year, he is one of my favorites.
I'll second that.Rowand is my favorite player to watch.:D: :D:

awesomefan
01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Awesome AARON ROWAND:wink:......looks like I'm not too alone. Lots of other A-Row fans. I love his batting style & concentration at the plate. Also his fielding & hustling on the basepaths. Aaron is an all around great player & I hope he sticks around for a long time. Everytime I really like a player, he gets traded ala Robin Ventura, Herbert Perry & Tony Graffanino, Carlos Lee.:angry:

awesomefan
01-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Just my opinion about the Sox/Sock controversy

I think I have seen it printed & heard the phrase White Sock.

Besides the word Sox is just another way to spell Socks....so to me socks is plural & sock is singular.

The team is called White Sox....an individual player is called a White Sock or it could be officially just White Sox either way.

It would be interesting to find out what the official word is on the White Sox/White Sock "thangy".

konerko1413
01-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Just my opinion about the Sox/Sock controversy

I think I have seen it printed & heard the phrase White Sock.

Besides the word Sox is just another way to spell Socks....so to me socks is plural & sock is singular.

The team is called White Sox....an individual player is called a White Sock or it could be officially just White Sox either way.

It would be interesting to find out what the official word is on the White Sox/White Sock "thangy".
the original name of the sox was the white stockings which can also be said as white socks, therefore to call one player a sock isnt wrong be cuz to the best of my knowledge, the team name was not officially reanamed the sox, but i could be wrong about the last part

Baby Fisk
01-03-2005, 11:03 AM
:worship: THE BIG HURT.

SuperSteve
01-03-2005, 07:01 PM
the original name of the sox was the white stockings which can also be said as white socks, therefore to call one player a sock isnt wrong be cuz to the best of my knowledge, the team name was not officially reanamed the sox, but i could be wrong about the last part The Chicago White Stockings are the Cubs, no? The St. Paul Saints was the original name of the current Chicago White Sox, no? Isn't the word Sox spelled that way because it was easier for immigrants in the early 20th century to read?

FWIW, not renamed the Sox? It's on their hats and uniforms...I don't know how much more official you could get. I have never seen them written "Socks/Sock/etc."

gobears1987
01-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Shingo, how much fun is it to watch steroid popping sluggers like Sammy Sosa miss at a pitch that doesn't register on the RADAR gun?

Frank Thomas, he is the reason I first became a Sox fan. I hope he can end his career in dignity.

Freddy Garcia, if you want to see Hawk say "He Gawn" over and over again then you want this man on the mound. I bought a home Freddy Garcia jersey right after he signed the 3 year deal and can hardly wait to wear it to a game.

voodoochile
01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
The Chicago White Stockings are the Cubs, no? The St. Paul Saints was the original name of the current Chicago White Sox, no? Isn't the word Sox spelled that way because it was easier for immigrants in the early 20th century to read?

FWIW, not renamed the Sox? It's on their hats and uniforms...I don't know how much more official you could get. I have never seen them written "Socks/Sock/etc."
Yes the flubbies were originally the White Stockings. When they changed the name, the new team stole it to gain immediate market recognition. It was then shortened to Sox by media people.

Sox was a commonly used shorter version for stockings back then.

I don't know the years this all happened.

SuperSteve
01-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes the flubbies were originally the White Stockings. When they changed the name, the new team stole it to gain immediate market recognition. It was then shortened to Sox by media people.

I don't know the years this all happened. I could have sworn that the word Sox was used in the newspapers first. At my school for example, Michigan State, the school was originally the Aggies, then a newpaper writer called a team the Spartans, and it stuck. I'll look it up sometime I am in the mood..:D:

Magglios_Girl
01-03-2005, 08:07 PM
I could have sworn that the word Sox was used in the newspapers first. At my school for example, Michigan State, the school was originally the Aggies, then a newpaper writer called a team the Spartans, and it stuck. I'll look it up sometime I am in the mood..:D:I could have sworn someone here said the newspapers started using "SOX" to either save space or not waste ink.

southsidegirl
01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Who really cares if it's "Sox" or "Socks." Assuming that we are all baseball fans(I don't see why someone who has never heard of the White Sox would be on this forum), we should know who someone is reffering to when they say "Socks."

BTW, my fav is Ozzie.

voodoochile
01-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I could have sworn that the word Sox was used in the newspapers first. At my school for example, Michigan State, the school was originally the Aggies, then a newpaper writer called a team the Spartans, and it stuck. I'll look it up sometime I am in the mood..:D:
It was first used in the newspapers, but it was also a word in common usage.

TornLabrum
01-03-2005, 09:08 PM

I don't know the years this all happened.
The original Whit Stockings got their name sometime before 1871. By 1871 they had joined the National Association, but were forced to disband for a couple of years after the Chicago Fire. Comiskey saw the club play when he was a kid and was a huge fan. The owner of the White Stockings, William Hulbert, was a co-founder of the National League (with the star pitcher he hijacked from the Boston Red Stockings--now the Atlanta Braves--Al Spalding). By the 1880s when they had a bunch of young kids on the team, the media rechristened them the Colts.

When Cap Anson was fired in the late 1890s, the papers took to calling them the Orphans or Remnants. They became the Cubs in 1904 when Frank Selee put together a team of young kids.

After the 1899 season the NL, which had consisted of 12 teams through most of the 1890s cut back to 8 teams and the Western League, which played its first season in 1894, decided it wanted to move into some of the vacated NL cities. Comiskey, who had bought the Sioux City franchise after 1894 and moved them to St. Paul wanted to move his club into Chicago, but the Orphans had territorial rights.

After intense negotiations, Comiskey was allowed to move to Chicago under two conditions:
1) That he not build his ball park north of 35th St (so he built it at an old cricket field on 39th--now Pershing Rd.--between Wentworth and Princeton.

2) That he not use the name Chicago in the name of his club (so he simply co-opted the former name of the orphans, the White Stockings).

The Sox were known as that through 1900 when the new American League was still a minor league and 1901 when it threw out the National Agreement and went to war with the NL.

In 1902 the press started shortening the name to White Sox for headline purposes, and the name later became official. The name "Sox" first appeared on a uniform in 1910.

Chrisaway
01-04-2005, 01:01 PM
1.now and all time Frank Thomas
2. Mark Buehrle
3. Aaron Rowand
4. Freddy Garcia