PDA

View Full Version : POLL: To A.J. or not to A.J.?

OzzieBall2004
12-31-2004, 06:55 PM
I know there is already a thread, but I wanted to get a consesus on where everyone stood on this acquisition....

Personally, I like it. We desperatley need a consistent bat low in the order, and I can't see Davis getting it done all season. I know some people think he's a cancer, but who knows? maybe he'll shape up. Personally, I think guys like PK and Buehrle can put his a$$ in line if he acts up.

OEO Magglio
12-31-2004, 06:56 PM
I know there is already a thread, but I wanted to get a consesus on where everyone stood on this acquisition....

Personally, I like it. We desperatley need a consistent bat low in the order, and I can't see Davis getting it done all season. I know some people think he's a cancer, but who knows? maybe he'll shape up. Personally, I think guys like PK and Buehrle can put his a$$ in line if he acts up.
I'd love it if we do indeed get A.J. but I highly doubt he ends up on the White Sox, I hope I'm wrong though.

HomeFish
12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes. The Sox having a real offensive catcher would be a joyous occasion.

12-31-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm dying to know the contract offer....I'm guessing 2 years 4/5 million

voodoochile
12-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Yes. The Sox having a real offensive catcher would be a joyous occasion.
I thought the Sox already had 2 offensive catchers and that is why they were looking at AJ...:(:

Daver
12-31-2004, 07:09 PM
I thought the Sox already had 2 offensive catchers and that is why they were looking at AJ...:(:
I'm not sure I'd call AJ a catcher, more like a ballstop.

NSSoxFan2
12-31-2004, 07:12 PM
All it comes down to is this: is A.J. better than what we have right now? YES. I could care less how the team gets along, these guys are paid a lot of money to play baseball, deal with it and win.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 07:13 PM
What do you think I voted for? :D:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm dying to know the contract offer....I'm guessing 2 years 4/5 million
It's 2 or 3 years, around $3 mill per. It all depends on what the Devil Rays and the other mystery team involved are offering him.

My money would be on 3 years $9 mill. KW is probably going to the table with a 2 year offer but after what happened with Omar Vizquel, he will throw in that 3rd year and will up his offer to $3 mill per.

EMel9281
12-31-2004, 07:21 PM
I think, in all seriousness, we NEED AJ. As I see it, we have two catchers that would be in AAA if on any other team. Both, Davis and Burke spent time down in the minors last year. I think Ozzie would beat the a****** out of AJ if it surfaced in his clubhouse. Heck, some article out there about the offer said that AJ has acknowledged that he has been a jerk sometimes. Plus, he was in SF only 1 year. I would not discredit him based on what some "anonymous" pitchers said about him. He plays hard, day in and day out. He has the bat we need in the lower third. Frankly, I don't think Davis should start the year with the team. I am probably in the minority when I say this, but I think Burke is better than Davis. I would not expect anything better than .220-.240 from Davis. We can get at least .250-.270 from AJ.

Signing AJ = :D:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 07:23 PM
We can get at least .250-.270 from AJ.

Signing AJ = :D: He's a .294 career hitter with 220 career strikeouts in 1899 career at-bats.

And yes, signing AJ does indeed = :D:

OzzieBall2004
12-31-2004, 07:30 PM
shouldnt this be in teal? offensive/offensive?

veeter
12-31-2004, 07:30 PM
I really want A.J. simply because I think Big Ben is a terrible hitter. In fact I like Jamie Burke more than Ben. I think the team really likes Burke too. A small part of me wants Davis though, because I think he might have a little neanderthal gene in him that would not have sat and watched when Burke got hit by Hunter. I think he'd have, shall we say, disposed of Torii.

Shingotime!!
12-31-2004, 07:53 PM
I really want A.J. simply because I think Big Ben is a terrible hitter. In fact I like Jamie Burke more than Ben. I think the team really likes Burke too. A small part of me wants Davis though, because I think he might have a little neanderthal gene in him that would not have sat and watched when Burke got hit by Hunter. I think he'd have, shall we say, disposed of Torii. Couldnt you see Big Ben Davis pulling a "sunshine". if you have ever seen Remember the Titans you would know what im talking about. Torii comes running to the plate, Big Ben lowers his back and flips Torii over :whiner: . I would pay BIG money to see that!

Whitesox029
12-31-2004, 07:58 PM
All it comes down to is this: is A.J. better than what we have right now? YES. I could care less how the team gets along, these guys are paid a lot of money to play baseball, deal with it and win. Middle infielder is more important than catcher. Plain and simple. Sign Iguchi/Cora. Burke/Davis are adequate.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Couldnt you see Big Ben Davis pulling a "sunshine". if you have ever seen Remember the Titans you would know what im talking about. Torii comes running to the plate, Big Ben lowers his back and flips Torii over :whiner: . I would pay BIG money to see that!
Does Tori flip over untagged and lands on home plate and called safe or does Burke tag him out during the progress?

johnny_mostil
12-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Middle infielder is more important than catcher. Plain and simple. Sign Iguchi/Cora. Burke/Davis are adequate.
I am not a Willie fan, but Willie is less of a potential problem than the Dynamic Duo at catcher. Burke's a career minor leaguer with 130-odd major league at bats who couldn't beat out some pretty bad ballplayers with the Angels. Davis keeps losing his job, too.

There is no organizational depth at catcher. There isn't much in the middle infield, either. They need to work on both positions or we will all be very sorry come June/July.

Shingotime!!
12-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Does Tori flip over untagged and lands on home plate and called safe or does Burke tag him out during the progress? Sadly, Torri is safe, thus clinching a fourth straight division title for the twins. On a happier note, Torri breakes is collar bone and arm. Both teams empty their bullpens and dugouts, Buehrle teaches Santanta a lesson. While Willie bites off the ear of Silva. Kyle Lolshe and Garland have a cat fight over whose better but the Big Hurt saves the day kicking all those twins a$$'s. :angry: :angry: :angry:

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm pro AJ, so long as he does not mess up the chemistry of the team. I don't care what kind of money they spend to get him, as long as its not absurd. I just don't want him being a cancer in the clubhouse.

Daver
12-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Middle infielder is more important than catcher. Plain and simple. Sign Iguchi/Cora. Burke/Davis are adequate.
You have got to be kidding me.

This is not fantasy baseball we're talking about here.

Catcher is the single most important defensive position on the team.

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2004, 08:18 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

This is not fantasy baseball we're talking about here.

Catcher is the single most important defensive position on the team.
I'm going to have to totally agree. I would much rather have a good catcher behind the plate, than Willie Harris part Deux at 2b. Boston won the World Series with Mark Bellhorn playing 2b, but Varitek behind the plate. The Marlins had a fairly good 2b with them, but I Rod behind the plate. IMHO, most of the last World Series winners had good catchers calling games behind the plate.

OurBitchinMinny
12-31-2004, 08:34 PM
Im not totally against it, but the guy has been a prick. They are major league players and should be able to get over it, but it seems like there is always something wrong in the sox clubhouse. He is a good offensive catcher and is not a horrible defensive catcher. however if burke hits like he did last year (a big if) Id rather see them go after a MIF first. Plus he probably would be out to show the twins something. I dont think 2 years 4 mill (or whatever they offered him, most likely not the highest bidder) is going to do it. And the japanese guy is going to get more money elsewhere too.

BTW, pierzynski does look wrong in a sox hat

flo-B-flo
12-31-2004, 08:43 PM
AJ can play. Sign him.:rolleyes:

MikeKreevich
12-31-2004, 09:49 PM
He may be the dirtiest player in baseball. I remember him going out of his way to clip Konerko at firstbase.

WhiteSoxNation
12-31-2004, 10:19 PM
All it comes down to is this: is A.J. better than what we have right now? YES. I could care less how the team gets along, these guys are paid a lot of money to play baseball, deal with it and win.
Exactly, Would u rather have AJ (.294) hitter for a .203 hitter?

Slats
12-31-2004, 10:22 PM
I'd really like to know what Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras and Garland think about him. That's what will really count.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2005, 04:22 AM
I'd really like to know what Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras and Garland think about him. That's what will really count.
The first 4 are all professionals and won't have an opinion on him until they meet him and work with him. And as far as Garland is concerned, who cares what he thinks.

konerko1413
01-01-2005, 11:51 PM
i think ben davis will make a good 8 or 9 hitter, a.j. has no arm and big ben does, the money should be used to resign konerko to an extension