PDA

View Full Version : Jason Giambi

tsamdog
12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
With the Yankees signing Tino Martinez to a one year deal, it is fairly evident as to their direction with Giambi. Should the Sox offer Paulie an extension, and if denied, would they look in Giambi's direction and subseqently effort to move PK and his salary? There have many posts concerning risk/reward with regard to AJ, El Duque, etc.... Would Giambi be the ultimate risk?

Rocky Soprano
12-31-2004, 12:54 PM
No thank you!

There is a reason why the Yankees are getting options. I rather keep Konerko and hope he has another great year.

soltrain21
12-31-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't want that cheater. He won't be that great anymore since he is off the roids, anyway.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Keep Konerko, and work with him on an extension. I expect Giambi to fall apart this year. I'll always associate steroids with Lyle Alzado. I hope this current batch of steriod-users don't face the same future Alzado did, but it wouldn't surprise me. You make a deal with the Devil, He's going to come looking for payment.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 01:02 PM
STAY AWAY.

His contract is nuts. His steriod use is nothing but bad. And oh yeh, he sucks now without the juice.

sullythered
12-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Absolutely not. Giambi is done. I repeat, done. He is the poster child for chemical-inflated numbers, and will not produce anywhere near Pauly's output in coming seasons. Plus, he turns 34 next week.

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2004, 01:08 PM
I find it hard to see any team signing Giambi unless they are desperate. First of all, I can't seem to find a reason that a team would want to take a risk that high for a salary Giambi might want. But then again, because of the steroids, his market price will most likely plummet. Bottom line is that I find it hard to see any team wanting him unless he was cheap and they were desperate. Then again, stranger things have happened, and who knows what the future holds for Giambi.

Personally, I don't want him on the team even if he was still hitting well. His reputation is tainted, and so is his career.

S.S. Lumber Yard
12-31-2004, 01:09 PM
How could you even entertain such a disgusting idea? That fake Giambi, the loser, took away an All Star roster spot form Paulie. I think I speak for most Sox fans when I say, **** Giambi!

Moderator edit: Let the swear filter do its job.

Knucksie
12-31-2004, 01:15 PM
Absolutely not. Giambi is done. I repeat, done. He is the poster child for chemical-inflated numbers, and will not produce anywhere near Pauly's output in coming seasons. Plus, he turns 34 next week.
Although he would be a fitting image on a "chemical-inflated numbers" the poster child/headliner would have to be Brady Anderson.

Maybe we should trade PK and Rowand for Vazquez and some can't miss prospects (or more likely some cash), sign Giambi to play first, bring Anderson out of retirement to play OF. Then, we could make a mid season deal with the surging Cards, sending Garland and our remaining prospects (Sweeney, Anderson, etc.) for Robbie Alomar, a minor league catcher and more cash.

Knucksie
12-31-2004, 01:17 PM
How could you even entertain such a disgusting idea? That fake Giambi, the loser, took away an All Star roster spot form Paulie. I think I speak for most Sox fans when I say, **** Giambi!

Moderator edit: Let the swear filter do its job.
Didn't he also take away an MVP from Frank?

FightingBillini
12-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Although he would be a fitting image on a "chemical-inflated numbers" the poster child/headliner would have to be Brady Anderson.

Maybe we should trade PK and Rowand for Vazquez and some can't miss prospects (or more likely some cash), sign Giambi to play first, bring Anderson out of retirement to play OF. Then, we could make a mid season deal with the surging Cards, sending Garland and our remaining prospects (Sweeney, Anderson, etc.) for Robbie Alomar, a minor league catcher and more cash.
:tealpolice:
You're new here, kid, so we will just give you a written warning. Teal is used for sarcasm. That is not teal.

sullythered
12-31-2004, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Knucksie]Although he would be a fitting image on a "chemical-inflated numbers" the poster child/headliner would have to be Brady Anderson.

Good call.

S.S. Lumber Yard
12-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Didn't he also take away an MVP from Frank?
:angry:

soxfan26
12-31-2004, 01:33 PM
:threadblows: *****.

Risk
12-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Hell no.

Risk

SOXintheBURGH
12-31-2004, 01:49 PM
You're joking right?

veeter
12-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Can we stop saying we need to move Paulie and his salary???!!! First of all Giambi has an even higher salary and he sucks. Second of all you can't get rid of every good player. The Sox great core has been cut in half, that's enough!!! The necessary dollars have been cut.

soltrain21
12-31-2004, 02:22 PM
The Sox great core has been cut in half, that's enough!!!

Whoa whoa whoa...that great core didn't really win us anything.

A. Cavatica
12-31-2004, 03:07 PM
I already suggested in an earlier thread that if we moved Konerko in an RJ/Vazquez deal, we might be able to get Giambi for next to nothing. I think the Yankees will unload him at all costs. I would hope we'd consider trading Konerko if the return was Giambi + cash + another good player.

Remember, Reinsdorf has demonstrated no fear whatsoever of signing "garbage" players, as long as they're cheap enough. Heck, we got Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar twice. As we learn who else was on steroids, the fact that Giambi was isn't going to matter as much. And Giambi's lefthanded bat and OBP skills are quite valuable even if his power numbers are half what they used to be.

California Sox
12-31-2004, 03:24 PM
You make a deal with the Devil, He's going to come looking for payment.
Or as Joaquin Phoenix said in 8mm "Dance with the devil, devil don't change. Devil changes you."

Brian26
12-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Absolutely not. Giambi is done. I repeat, done. He is the poster child for chemical-inflated numbers, and will not produce anywhere near Pauly's output in coming seasons. Plus, he turns 34 next week.Hell, Giambi is 10 times the gamble Mags would be. Giambi may never play again. I trust a knee injury over some crazy bacterial/internal-infection.

Brian26
12-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...that great core didn't really win us anything.
Were Mags and CLee expected to pitch every 5th day too? Just because the rest of the team didn't live up to expectations, its not a reason to split the team up. I agree with the decision to let Mags go, but I'm not sold on this Caballo for Podsednik trade (even after getting El Duque with the leftover cash).

johnny_mostil
12-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Hell, Giambi is 10 times the gamble Mags would be. Giambi may never play again. I trust a knee injury over some crazy bacterial/internal-infection.
How about "benign brain tumor"? That was the latest diagnosis, probably a side effect of certain substances.

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Heck, we got Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar twice. As we learn who else was on steroids, the fact that Giambi was isn't going to matter as much. And Giambi's lefthanded bat and OBP skills are quite valuable even if his power numbers are half what they used to be.
It matters to me. I don't want a cheater playing for the team that I love.

FedEx227
01-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Ew, no thanks...

that trade is ugly.

Why would we want Giambi who has an even bigger salary than Konerko, and more than likely will never play good/at all again.

Plus he would look bad for the organization...

which is why we should get Jose Conseco and all of his awesome arm braces :smile:

RKMeibalane
01-01-2005, 11:11 AM
:threadsucks

SuperSteve
01-01-2005, 07:04 PM
STAY AWAY.

His contract is nuts. His steriod use is nothing but bad. And oh yeh, he sucks now without the juice. I agree completely.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Were Mags and CLee expected to pitch every 5th day too? Just because the rest of the team didn't live up to expectations, its not a reason to split the team up. I agree with the decision to let Mags go, but I'm not sold on this Caballo for Podsednik trade (even after getting El Duque with the leftover cash).
and when your great core got into the playoffs their one year they couldn't hit for ****.

Brian26
01-01-2005, 09:08 PM
How about "benign brain tumor"? That was the latest diagnosis, probably a side effect of certain substances.
Good grief. It's now moving from scary to sad. I wonder how much of it is truly related to the "supplements".

Brian26
01-01-2005, 09:10 PM
and when your great core got into the playoffs their one year they couldn't hit for ****.
It's a shame that those 3 games against the M's will always be remembered for the pop-ups by the big 4 hitters. Terrible way to end a fun season. Actually, the really enduring memory from that series is how much of a dick Piniella was when he walked out to talked to Cameron at first base.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Good grief. It's now moving from scary to sad. I wonder how much of it is truly related to the "supplements".
The tumor is in the pituitary gland. Clomid, one of the drugs Giambi admitted to taking in his BALCO grand jury testimony, could have caused it (or made it worse). Also, human growth hormone, another one of Giambi's favorite toys, is secreted by the pituitary, and apparently something called "acromegaly" can result from extra HGH, which is, again, a pituitary growth. It's 95% likely Giambi is hoist with his own steroidal petard.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 09:51 PM
It's a shame that those 3 games against the M's will always be remembered for the pop-ups by the big 4 hitters. Terrible way to end a fun season. Actually, the really enduring memory from that series is how much of a dick Piniella was when he walked out to talked to Cameron at first base.
Funny, I most remember Carlos Garcia's illegal bunt single and the umpires standing around with their thumbs in their, uh, pockets ignoring it instead of calling him out and sending the runner back where he came from.

Baby Fisk
01-03-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm just wondering is there ANY athlete that someone out there won't propose as a player for the Sox? Somebody call O.J. Simpson's agent and find out if he can swing a bat. What about the goon who attacked Nancy Kerrigan? That guy could swing a mean pipe. I think Darryl Strawberry needs one more chance, don't you?

Jason Giambi? Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
01-03-2005, 11:07 AM
NO,NO,NO,NO,NO!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kravdog
01-03-2005, 11:44 AM
did you people forget that joey, i mean albert belle was a cheater (in our own park) before we signed him to play for US...or that we toyed with Jose Canseco for a while (well after he was admitting all sorts of issues, to put it nicely)??? the way it sounds, you people of great moral conviction wouldnt take Barry Bonds on this team...

i also think that a point that you are all missing is that we could possibly get giambi on a MINOR league contract, if the yanks are able to void his current one...not much of a gamble, IF we know for a fact that paully walnuts doesnt want to sign on for a longer tour of duty.

its amazing which things people around here choose to remember and which things that they dont...

first post---thought i'd make it a non-argumentative one!

doublem23
01-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Its threads like these that make me appreciate Kenny Williams and Ron Schueler.

sullythered
01-03-2005, 12:01 PM
did you people forget that joey, i mean albert belle was a cheater (in our own park) before we signed him to play for US...or that we toyed with Jose Canseco for a while (well after he was admitting all sorts of issues, to put it nicely)??? the way it sounds, you people of great moral conviction wouldnt take Barry Bonds on this team...

i also think that a point that you are all missing is that we could possibly get giambi on a MINOR league contract, if the yanks are able to void his current one...not much of a gamble, IF we know for a fact that paully walnuts doesnt want to sign on for a longer tour of duty.

its amazing which things people around here choose to remember and which things that they dont...

first post---thought i'd make it a non-argumentative one!

Never liked that malcontent Albert Belle. He didn't belong on our team. And I wouldn't take that peice of trash Barry Bonds on my team either. Without drugs, he's not half the player that he seems to be. I hated when wife-beater Wil Cordero played for the Sox, as well.

tsamdog
01-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Its threads like these that make me appreciate Kenny Williams and Ron Schueler.True statement. There are probably more levels of this discussion than most will ever know. I feel I need to clarify a couple of things before the thread meets its probable end. First, there was no intent to imply that Giambi would be 'better' than PK. In fact, my initial thought was to offer Paulie an extension. That point is shared by many posters; PK should be our first baseman for many years. The problem arises when efforts to lock our 'stars' to long term deals run amok. Then, we either watch them leave w/out compensation or we deal them too late in the ballgame to get anything worthy in return.

I appreciate the fact that Sox fans do not want 'cheaters'. Before we fly too close to the sun, though, we need to realize a couple of things. We have had 'cheaters' wear our uniform before, and if what comes out of Balco and other 'training centers' proves correct, we will be hearing of many more. Remember, JR asked Frank which superstar he wanted: Albert or Barry. Frank wanted Albert on the team; otherwise, we may be talking in a much different tone.

I agree that Jason Giambi may be a shadow of his former self. I appreciate reading the posts about the medical condition he now suffers from. I wasn't aware of the severity, and am now better informed. He will also be as vilified a baseball player as any since John Rocker, and rightfully so, but I do respect his guts to tell the truth (as a grand jury would require). Others did not...and will escape the venom of the summer to come. Cashman will do everything to void the man's contract. If he is unable to perform, the question I posed is moot. The Sox will continue to re-sign PK, and if not, look elsewhere for help. If Giambi does come back healthy....then someone will sign him to a minor league contract. I asked if that would be the biggest risk of all. I think it would.

Finally, I do apologize for any implication that I would prefer Giambi over PK. That was not what was stated; however, it may have been inferred. My bad.
Once again, my only desire was to initiate a thoughtful discussion about what is bound to happen. Names will be revealed; some will be given second chances.