PDA

View Full Version : Tino Martinez returns to NY

Paulwny
12-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Signs one yr deal with the yankmees, $3mil
From Newsday/AP
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bba-yankees-martinez,0,7771696.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't like this at all for the rest of the AL.

Yankees w/ Tino: 4 World Series rings
Yankees w/o Tino: No rings

MUsoxfan
12-31-2004, 02:02 PM

Yes....but Devil Rays and Cards with Tino: No Rings

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes....but Devil Rays and Cards with Tino: No Rings
............ OH, it's a joke, haha, haha, ha.

fquaye149
12-31-2004, 03:04 PM

There MIGHT be more to the equation you're leaving out...

Brian26
12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Did the Yankees get rid of Tony Clark?

johnny_mostil
12-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Signs one yr deal with the yankmees, $3mil
From Newsday/AP
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bba-yankees-martinez,0,7771696.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines
Mon Dieu. The Yankees have lost their minds. Tino, Tony, Jaret.. they are going out and getting a whole slew of players who are likely to be just flat out lousy. Un-frappacino-believable. Hey, BOSS! Give Todd Ritchie $25,000,000! He could really use it!

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2004, 06:30 PM
I didn't have time to elaborate. Tino's LEADERSHIP, will help them get another ring. Not his offensive or defensive skills. They don't need his offense, they might need his defense.

fquaye149
12-31-2004, 06:43 PM
I didn't have time to elaborate. Tino's LEADERSHIP, will help them get another ring. Not his offensive or defensive skills. They don't need his offense, they might need his defense.
Sorry but I feel there were a lot more pieces to the pre-Giambi puzzle than Tino... Yes, he was a part, but so was Brosius, Cone, Pettite, Bernie, and so on.

Bernie's decline, the loss of Brosius and Cone, and Pettite's being stranded in the rotation didn't help at all.

Meanwhile, Tino's "leadership" did very little to help a pretty good St. L. team.

RKMeibalane
12-31-2004, 06:56 PM
Did the Yankees get rid of Tony Clark?
I don't know what happened with him. I thought they gave him the shaft late last season. He was providing solid production at the bottom of their lineup after Giambi went down, and then he didn't play again after they accquired Olerud. This accquisition is probably only a temporary stop-gap measure until the Yanks can find a way to trade for Carlos Delgado, because there's no way they're going to bring Giambi back.

StillMissOzzie
12-31-2004, 10:25 PM
This accquisition is probably only a temporary stop-gap measure until the Yanks can find a way to trade for Carlos Delgado, because there's no way they're going to bring Giambi back.
I agree, even if Tino now has the range of a fire hydrant at 1B, the Yankmees would rather park Giambi's ass on the bench than play him again after the way his 'roids admission embarrassed them. That is, if they can't void his contract altogether.

SMO

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Meanwhile, Tino's "leadership" did very little to help a pretty good St. L. team.
Let's be honest, the Cards' offense got them to the World Series. They had no pitching 2 years ago when Tino was there and last year somehow, someway their whole rotation had career years (except for Morris). Their offense ran into great pitching in the WS and we all saw what happened.

duke of dorwood
01-01-2005, 10:47 AM
The Yankee players are lots of things-but classless is not one of them/ He was brought back by the boss as a reminder of how to be a Yankee to the rest of the players in the wake of the Giambi thing.

ewokpelts
01-01-2005, 11:49 AM
The Yankee players are lots of things-but classless is not one of them/ He was brought back by the boss as a reminder of how to be a Yankee to the rest of the players in the wake of the Giambi thing.plus derek misses him....:yup:
Gene

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 01:53 AM

Yankees w/o Mattingly, 26 rings
Yankees w/ Mattingly, 0 rings!

fquaye149
01-02-2005, 11:00 AM
yankees w/ A-Rod....

Worst move of the century! Who needs him?

RKMeibalane
01-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Agreed. They aren't going to win anything as long as he's around.

Baby Fisk
01-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Agreed. They aren't going to win anything as long as he's around.Yup. Mattingly holds some kind of jinx over the Yankees. Poor Suckers! :cool:

JRIG
01-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Let's be honest, the Cards' offense got them to the World Series. They had no pitching 2 years ago when Tino was there and last year somehow, someway their whole rotation had career years (except for Morris). Their offense ran into great pitching in the WS and we all saw what happened.
But shouldn't Tino's leadership have willed the Cardinals' staff to career years in one of the two seasons he was there? Or do his magical leadership qualities only show up in New York, not Seattle, St. Louis, or Tampa Bay?