PDA

View Full Version : Fundamentals Construction Begins

margiss
12-31-2004, 12:17 PM
While reviews are mixed on the idea of the new Fundamentals area, I thought I would provide an update on its construction.

Clearly construction is now underway. I passed by yesterday to see some of the outfield gridwork being removed and by day's end, most of the billboard sign in LF is now gone. A gap is now visible where the eventual Fundamentals area will be constructed.

I welcome others to post updates as milestones are reached as I don't get by the park that often in the winter.

Baby Fisk
12-31-2004, 12:22 PM
I welcome others to post updates as milestones are reached as I don't get by the park that often in the winter.Photos would be cool too.

That's "photos"...not to be confused with "selfish editorializing". :cool:

C-Dawg
12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Yes, the horizontal latticework in that area is gone, as well as the billboard. I went by this morning about 10AM, and was surprised to see them working; a guy was up on top on the light pole, which had been "chopped off" at the height where the horizontal lattice had been. When I went by on my way home (about 2PM) the light pole was entirely gone.

I took a slow drive around the park but couldn't see any other work going on; no pallets of green seats or anything like that. Just the fenced-in area and the big rental crane outside LF for the Fundamentals construction.

CHISOXFAN13
12-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Yes, the horizontal latticework in that area is gone, as well as the billboard. I went by this morning about 10AM, and was surprised to see them working; a guy was up on top on the light pole, which had been "chopped off" at the height where the horizontal lattice had been. When I went by on my way home (about 2PM) the light pole was entirely gone.

I took a slow drive around the park but couldn't see any other work going on; no pallets of green seats or anything like that. Just the fenced-in area and the big rental crane outside LF for the Fundamentals construction.
While driving home the other day, I got a decent look at the toop of the club level and there are no seats in the section at all so the green seats are obviously on their way soon for that section.

Park looks a little strange right now without the latticework in left field, but this is part of the construction that will be fun to watch develop.

HomeFish
12-31-2004, 05:42 PM
I'll be passing by on Sunday. Perhaps I will take some pictures.

Brian26
12-31-2004, 05:52 PM
Park looks a little strange right now without the latticework in left field, but this is part of the construction that will be fun to watch develop.
Now all they have to do is build some brick 3-flats behind left field and put some rickety make-shift bleachers on top and maybe a hot dog stand and fire station on the ground level and then we'd have a real ballpark!

OEO Magglio
12-31-2004, 05:54 PM
I'll be passing by on Sunday. Perhaps I will take some pictures.
Please do homefish, I'm interested to see how it looks.

soxnut
12-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah I drove by the park last night. It reminded me of when the park was first being built, while they were putting UP the lattice structure.

DSpivack
01-01-2005, 02:01 AM
why did they just begin this construction?

ewokpelts
01-01-2005, 09:42 AM
there were fireworks at midnight last night...maybe it had something to do with construction beginning

Gene

I want Mags back
01-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Please do homefish, I'm interested to see how it looks.
Here's the link to what it will be

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/fundamentals_638x358.jpg
view in park

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/renovations.html
view from Ryan

Will be really pretty out there, even if we don't play in it

OEO Magglio
01-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Here's the link to what it will be

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/fundamentals_638x358.jpg
view in park

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/renovations.html
view from Ryan

Will be really pretty out there, even if we don't play in it

Ya, I've seen those and agree it looks pretty cool. I just like seeing how the park looks during the construction.

JUribe1989
01-01-2005, 04:53 PM
That looks really nice. It reminds me of what they have at SBC park in San Fran. In left field they had a mini diamond where kids could play. It makes the baseball field more family friendly and I think that is always a good idea.

CHISOXFAN13
01-01-2005, 05:23 PM
They've been doing work behind left field since November. Im assuming that work needed to be done before the actual construction began

Shingotime!!
01-01-2005, 06:08 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws...als_638x358.jpg (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/fundamentals_638x358.jpg)
view in park

Lol, if you look closly at the score board Ivan Rod. is having a monster day.

lths06
01-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Look at this pic http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/renovations.html and then imagine a home run deck in right. Now there is one fine ballpark:cool:

zach074
01-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Do you think they will let me go into the fundamentals area?:D:

JUribe1989
01-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Is this new fundamentals thing in left going to be done by Opening Day?

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Photos would be cool too.

That's "photos"...not to be confused with "selfish editorializing". :cool:
Are you kidding? The fundamentals thing is a joke! Why don't they build something for the average fan like me? Screw kids! Wah, wah, wah, etc.

Sincerely,
The Average Sox fan :whiner::whiner::whiner:

StockdaleForVeep
01-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Will beer be allowed on the wiffleball field and some of us who had dreams of baseball can play a quick 9?

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/214300/214324/Products/7707642.jpg
"I'll take Ben davis!"

CallMeNuts
01-02-2005, 09:05 AM
From the drawings, it looks like a breeze from the lake will be able to flow through the Fundamentals area. The lake breeze used to be blocked by the billboards. Will this adjustment make the Cell a little more pitcher friendly? In right can they louver the billboards?

ewokpelts
01-02-2005, 10:06 AM
From the drawings, it looks like a breeze from the lake will be able to flow through the Fundamentals area. The lake breeze used to be blocked by the billboards. Will this adjustment make the Cell a little more pitcher friendly? In right can they louver the billboards?well...since they got rid of most of thier right handed power, it shouldnt affect them too much....
Gene

Flight #24
01-02-2005, 10:17 AM
From the drawings, it looks like a breeze from the lake will be able to flow through the Fundamentals area. The lake breeze used to be blocked by the billboards. Will this adjustment make the Cell a little more pitcher friendly? In right can they louver the billboards?
That's a very interesting point. I wonder if that factored into the Lee trade decision? If you cut out some of the LF carry for HRs due to the wind coming into the park through FUNdamentals, smallball/Ozzieball could be even more important, and adding pitching, D, and a more balanced O at the expense of a very good power hitter who's not very adept at the little things that make smallball productive could be a necessary change.

Just a thought, but I'd be surprised if given the experience of the added roof, they didn't at least investigate what the likely effect of opening up the LF wall would be on flyballs.

SoxBoy14
01-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Wow. You're giving the front office more credit than they deserve. They're not that creative. Creativity is spent on finding ways to save $ and fool the fans. If JR knew they were this creative, he's fire them.

HomeFish
01-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I have learned that there is terrible traffic on the Dan Ryan today, so, therefore, I will be taking an alternative route today which will not take me past US Cellular Field.

Sorry. If the construction is still around next weekend, I'll make sure to get some then.

GiveMeSox
01-02-2005, 01:45 PM
I can count the number of times the wind blows off the lake in summer on my hand.

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Wind works in funny ways in a ballpark, I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Who knows what the effect will be. But man do I hope it does make it a more pitcher friendly park. This is a joke what we got going right now.

johnny_mostil
01-02-2005, 03:06 PM
well...since they got rid of most of thier right handed power, it shouldnt affect them too much....
Gene
Uh, NO THEY DIDN'T! :angry: They replaced a 30-homer man with a 25-homer man and Timo Perez with Scott Podsednik. Valentin was a lefthanded power hitter. The team is still, basically, lumbering righthanded sluggers spiced up with a couple of speed guys. They will still hit two hundred home runs, which is still a lot.

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Uh, NO THEY DIDN'T! :angry: They replaced a 30-homer man with a 25-homer man and Timo Perez with Scott Podsednik. Valentin was a lefthanded power hitter. The team is still, basically, lumbering righthanded sluggers spiced up with a couple of speed guys. They will still hit two hundred home runs, which is still a lot.
Pods -- 10
Rowand -- 20
Thomas/Everett splitting DH role -- 35
Konerko -- 35
Dye -- 27 generous as well, assuming he stays healthy (which for him is a relative term)
Uribe -- 20 maybe
Crede -- 20 maybe
Catchers -- 12
Bench -- another 10

That's 189 right there. With a lot of question marks. Dye is always hurt, Crede is very iffy for 20, most likely 17 or so, Rowand and Uribe never had those kinds of years before (for various reasons, not that they can't repeat), but they're not sure things for 20.

That's still a solid amount of homers. I don't know what the Twins have been hitting the last few years, but I highly doubt it's that high. It's all about emulating them...we're not gonna be a great offensive team. We haven't been day-to-day the last few years, only on the final totals. We have to just score runs that count and get 'em when we need 'em. If that happens, then there's no question losing that power won't hurt us. But really what have we done to become that kind of team other than getting some speed in one guy and losing two 30 homer guys? We're still basically the same team on offense. The starting rotation has to carry us, that's all there is to it.

OEO Magglio
01-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Pods -- 10
Rowand -- 20
Thomas/Everett splitting DH role -- 35
Konerko -- 35
Dye -- 27 generous as well, assuming he stays healthy (which for him is a relative term)
Uribe -- 20 maybe
Crede -- 20 maybe
Catchers -- 12
Bench -- another 10

That's 189 right there. With a lot of question marks. Dye is always hurt, Crede is very iffy for 20, most likely 17 or so, Rowand and Uribe never had those kinds of years before (for various reasons, not that they can't repeat), but they're not sure things for 20.

That's still a solid amount of homers. I don't know what the Twins have been hitting the last few years, but I highly doubt it's that high. It's all about emulating them...we're not gonna be a great offensive team. We haven't been day-to-day the last few years, only on the final totals. We have to just score runs that count and get 'em when we need 'em. If that happens, then there's no question losing that power won't hurt us. But really what have we done to become that kind of team other than getting some speed in one guy and losing two 30 homer guys? We're still basically the same team on offense. The starting rotation has to carry us, that's all there is to it.

Why is Crede iffy to hit 20?? He had a horrid year last year and he still hit 21. I think Aaron is a lock for 25. Juan is a lock for 20 maybe 25. Assuming Dye is healthy all year he'll hit 30. Also Scott hit 12 last year and considering he's playing half his games at the cell now, you'd have to think he hits atleast 15(even though I hope he doesn't have a long ball swing, I'd be happy with him hitting less homers).

Brian26
01-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Uh, NO THEY DIDN'T! :angry: They replaced a 30-homer man with a 25-homer man and Timo Perez with Scott Podsednik.
Timo's still on the team.

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Why is Crede iffy to hit 20?? He had a horrid year last year and he still hit 21. I think Aaron is a lock for 25. Juan is a lock for 20 maybe 25. Assuming Dye is healthy all year he'll hit 30. Also Scott hit 12 last year and considering he's playing half his games at the cell now, you'd have to think he hits atleast 15(even though I hope he doesn't have a long ball swing, I'd be happy with him hitting less homers).
Podsednik said he got homer happy last year and will try to get away from that. If he hits more than 10, that's probably bad news for us.

This is just speculation. I'm a huge Uribe fan, but the guy never hit more than 10 in Colorado. I don't think he's a "lock" so to speak, for anything. I would reasonably expect 16-19 homers from him. I'm a Rowand fan as well, but the fact is, he's only got one good year under his belt. He still has to prove he can do it again. I don't think we're going to be an anemic offense, but like I said before, the pitching is really going to have to come through.

GregoryEtc
01-02-2005, 07:44 PM
In right can they louver the billboards?
:reinsy
"I love the billboards! ..oh you said louver."

Whitesox029
01-02-2005, 08:50 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws...als_638x358.jpg (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/fundamentals_638x358.jpg)
view in park

Lol, if you look closly at the score board Ivan Rod. is having a monster day. Not to mention Schilling having a monster year. 1.65 ERA?? That would be incredible....unless this is supposed to be like April 20 when he will have only started 3 times or so. But then why would Soriano have 16 HR already?:D:

Homefish can you take pictures while driving? You should pull over first.:tongue: Or leave early and get off the Ryan to take pictures from all angles...:nod:

Flight #24
01-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Podsednik said he got homer happy last year and will try to get away from that. If he hits more than 10, that's probably bad news for us.

This is just speculation. I'm a huge Uribe fan, but the guy never hit more than 10 in Colorado. I don't think he's a "lock" so to speak, for anything. I would reasonably expect 16-19 homers from him. I'm a Rowand fan as well, but the fact is, he's only got one good year under his belt. He still has to prove he can do it again. I don't think we're going to be an anemic offense, but like I said before, the pitching is really going to have to come through.
Rowands a young player, in his first real fultime stint, and he's got great work ethic. I'd bet it's more likely that he hits MORE, not less. Crede can't really play any worse, any improvement out of him is going to mean 25 or so HR. Uribe - he's only had 1 year with more than 300 ABs prior to '04, altough he did only hit 6HR in that season (and in Coors - surprising). But his 01 & 03 HR #s project to around 18 with 500ABs, so it's not surprising that he'd develop a bit more power as he matures and continues in the low to mid 20s, at least as long as he plays half his games in USCF.

IMO, they'll hit somewhere between 190-210 HRs (not allowing for injuries/trades). That'll keep them in the top third of MLB, which should be fine for run scoring if they have more balance and better OBP at the top. Now if the Fundamentals change turns USCF from Coors east into Dodger stadium east, then the #s will be down but the balance will mean the team is more successful than it would have been with Lee but without Pods/Duque/AJ (or whoever they sign).

JKryl
01-02-2005, 10:36 PM
JR was waiting for the 1st of the year to write the check. He probably found out that the bank wouldn't post the interest until then.

Hangar18
01-03-2005, 10:59 AM
I actually took pics the other day ......... but cant get them to
upload for some reason :angry:

Jjav829
01-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Are you trying to upload them to the WSI Photo Gallery?

A.T. Money
01-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Email them to me and I'll host them for you.

BainesHOF
01-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Mark my words. The new Fundamentals area is a major mistake. It wrecks the symmetry of the park, crowds the left-field concourse and general open-air feel of the outfield, and might even feature the continuing ping of aluminum bats.

The cynical purpose of it is to be a TV advertisement to get parents to bring kids to the park. God forbid you bring kids to a game to watch it.

Flight #24
01-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Mark my words. The new Fundamentals area is a major mistake. It wrecks the symmetry of the park, crowds the left-field concourse and general open-air feel of the outfield, and might even feature the continuing ping of aluminum bats.

The cynical purpose of it is to be a TV advertisement to get parents to bring kids to the park. God forbid you bring kids to a game to watch it.
Reality: Kids nowadays, especially younger ones do not have the attention span to sit through a baseball game. Heck - even older ones have short attention spans due to the onslaught of MTV, video games, etc. You need other things to get them to bug their parents to take them (or conversely to get parents to think that bringing them will be fun for more than an hour). You can wish it wasn't so, but that doesn't change the fact that it is so. For the Sox to realize that and act on it is just smart business. They're also doing it in such a way that it will (hopefully) lead to those kids getting more into the game and developing the ability to sit and watch it.

A similar area doesn't wreck Pac Bell, and I'm sure that's not the only park with this type of area.

chisoxlady
01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Usually it's best to market to your strengths. South side = families; North side = parties

Get them while they are young. Start a new generation of White Sox fans. Lord knows, we need all we can get.

Hangar18
01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Are you trying to upload them to the WSI Photo Gallery?
Jjav, YES, the problem is actually at my end, my software wont let me
email the pics to myself, but will get this fixed shortly.
ATMoney, YES, I will email you the pic ...... if you can then upload it for me.
Thanks, Give me about 15Mins ........ Thanks Guys

Rocky Soprano
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Usually it's best to market to your strengths. South side = families; North side = parties

Get them while they are young. Start a new generation of White Sox fans. Lord knows, we need all we can get.
Very well said.

I think a lot of people here forget that you want to market yourself to the FUTURE White Sox fans.

This is for them, not for everyone.

NardiWasHere
01-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't see the problem with building this thing. I'm against all the disney-type stuff thats going around the MLB these days, or the "Spiderman on bases" kind of ideas. This is different however, its an area for kids devoted to baseball... i was talking to my buddy the other day and we said, we would have loved to play whiffle ball on a little diamond inside of the park if this was around 10 years ago or so... At least its not like a Coca-Cola slide or somthing, its a place for kids to develop an interest for the game..

Hitmen77
01-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Mark my words. The new Fundamentals area is a major mistake. It wrecks the symmetry of the park.....
Yes, you are absolutely right. U.S. Cellular Field is held in high esteem by fans nationwide for its symmetry. Ballparks built in the last 15 years w/ assymetrical designs have been utter failures. USCF's bland symmetry should be preserved and serve as a model for building a successful modern baseball stadium.

Chisox003
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Yes, you are absolutely right. U.S. Cellular Field is held in high esteem by fans nationwide for its symmetry. Ballparks built in the last 15 years w/ assymetrical designs have been utter failures. USCF's bland symmetry should be preserved and serve as a model for building a successful modern baseball stadium.
I agree 100%...Aside the symmetry problems, now we must deal with more parents bringing their kids to games, thus resulting in more fans...I for one want the park empty so I can choose my own seat without having to step over those damn kids every game....Why would we ever want young fans coming to games? Knock 'er down!

Rocky Soprano
01-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I want the park to be empty so they can let upper deck fans back into the lower deck.

Tekijawa
01-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I just want to see Hangar pics...

Parrothead
01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
I really don't think that the Kids area will help attendance at all (but green seats will). While kids will have a good time at the Fundementals area, it is still the parents who have to bring the kids. Most parents work during the week and kids have to go to school prior to summer break, so bringing kids during the week is most likely out. Weekend tickets are at a minimum $24 per seat prior to summer and $28 after that and even more for the NYY, BOS and LA. With the economy as it is today not many parents have that much disposable income to spend over $100 for a game more than maybe one game a month.

batmanZoSo
01-03-2005, 07:27 PM

Good god...all these years one of the top 3 complaints about this park has been symmetry. I know it's been one of mine. Ballparks just weren't meant to be symmetrical. Outside of Kansas City, I can't think of one revered ballpark that isn't lopsided.

zach074
01-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Good god...all these years one of the top 3 complaints about this park has been symmetry. I know it's been one of mine. Ballparks just weren't meant to be symmetrical. Outside of Kansas City, I can't think of one revered ballpark that isn't lopsided.
I'm not a big fan of Kaufman, I dont know what it is but i just dont like seeing a home run ball land in a patch of grass or a fountain. It seams to Spring Training to me.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
we all know at some point the sox will start charging for use of fundamentals.

batmanZoSo
01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
:reinsy
You're hired.

kittle42
01-03-2005, 08:30 PM
I really don't think that the Kids area will help attendance at all (but green seats will). While kids will have a good time at the Fundementals area, it is still the parents who have to bring the kids. Most parents work during the week and kids have to go to school prior to summer break, so bringing kids during the week is most likely out. Weekend tickets are at a minimum $24 per seat prior to summer and $28 after that and even more for the NYY, BOS and LA. With the economy as it is today not many parents have that much disposable income to spend over $100 for a game more than maybe one game a month.
Tickets cost the same or more for other teams, and parents seem to find time to attend a good deal of those teams' games.

Parrothead
01-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Tickets cost the same or more for other teams, and parents seem to find time to attend a good deal of those teams' games.
True but for some reason the attendance has been a factor at Comiskey and cost has been part of the reason. For proof check out the attendance on 1/2 price Mondays / Tuesdays and Kids Day on Sundays. The attendance is higher on these days.

soxnut
01-04-2005, 12:11 AM
True but for some reason the attendance has been a factor at Comiskey and cost has been part of the reason. For proof check out the attendance on 1/2 price Mondays / Tuesdays and Kids Day on Sundays. The attendance is higher on these days.

People,regardless of the product will always go for a deal. People will pay less or try to get something for nothing in almost all areas of product/service purchasing. And the economy is so bad since we're all in soup lines, noone should be thinking about going to baseball games anyway.

A.T. Money
01-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I sent Hangar my email....awaiting the pics.

Hangar18
01-04-2005, 10:09 AM
I sent Hangar my email....awaiting the pics.
ATMoney, I just sent you the Playpen Picture, let me know if you dont get it.

Rocky Soprano
01-04-2005, 10:12 AM
I can host some too, if needed.

rockysoprano21@yahoo.com

chisoxmike
01-04-2005, 10:12 AM
And the Fan Deck. Its only a matter of time.:mad:

Hitmen77
01-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Where are the pictures? Did someone upload them to the Photo Gallery? I can't find them there.

CubKilla
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
And the Fan Deck. Its only a matter of time.:mad:
They already are. The White Sox Organization announced in '04 that the Fan Deck will be rented out for "corporate and/or party functions".

chisoxmike
01-04-2005, 12:32 PM
They already are. The White Sox Organization announced in '04 that the Fan Deck will be rented out for "corporate and/or party functions".
I just saw that, the prices are OUTRAGOUS!

<LI>Enjoy an all inclusive package including three hours of unlimited chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, potato chips, popcorn, beer, soda and water - $13,500

Non-catered, cash food & bar - $7,500

Realist
01-04-2005, 12:41 PM
The steep price of renting the Fan Deck may be a blessing in disguise. When the fan deck is not rented out, it will be open to the public just like it has been since it first opened. If it were much cheaper to rent out, it would be rented out a bunch of the time. I don't forsee many days when the fan deck won't be open to the public.

anewman35
01-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I just saw that, the prices are OUTRAGOUS!
You should be happy about that, on days when people don't pay the price, it'll be open for anybody.

chisoxmike
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Believe me, I'm glad. I love the fan deck and I would hate it if it was bought for a game by some company only to have everyone not even watch the game.

All I was saying is that I've heard of weddings not even cost that much money.:o:

SpringfldFan
01-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Does anyone think some huge company could just cough up the bucks and rent the thing for the whole season?

chisoxmike
01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Does anyone think some huge company could just cough up the bucks and rent the thing for the whole season?:reinsy
"I like the way you think!"

Realist
01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Does anyone think some huge company could just cough up the bucks and rent the thing for the whole season?
"The White Sox Interactive Fan Deck"

Hey... that has a nice ring to it.

C'mon George, stop being so cheap and open your wallet! We need a place to party!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Tekijawa
01-04-2005, 01:44 PM
So are there actually any pictures out there that I was told existed? Or are they already posted and just flying under the radar?

Jjav829
01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
So are there actually any pictures out there that I was told existed? Or are they already posted and just flying under the radar?
We hid them in a random thread on the boards. Enjoy the search! :cool:

Seriously, I think we're just waiting for A.T. Money to check in.