PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Page 2 predicts Yankees starters through 2010

Jjav829
12-30-2004, 08:09 PM
It's actually kinda sad to think that this could be somewhat realistic. The funny thing is that as the years go on, and the Yankees acquire bigger names, they predict them to continually drop each year. It's sort of a joke, but unfortunately there is some reality to it. FWIW, the only Sox player they have listed is Konerko who they have the Yankees acquiring as their first baseman next year.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/041231)

soltrain21
12-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Welp, better trade Konerko now.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-30-2004, 08:17 PM
that's a lot of $$ for konerko! :o:

chisoxmike
12-30-2004, 08:19 PM
:whatever:

:chunks

NonetheLoaiza
12-30-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm willing to bet that about 75% of that is going to end up being right. It's really sad. The plus is that they arent going to win the WS any time soon!

Brian26
12-30-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm willing to bet that about 75% of that is going to end up being right.
I'm willing to bet 75% of that won't happen.

dcb33
12-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Wow. I wish I could get a job at ESPN so I could get paid to come up with garbage like that all day...

We'd better win it all before Hot Carl Crawford signs with the Yankees... He always kills us!!!

doublem23
12-30-2004, 10:39 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks its funny. :dunno:

DSpivack
12-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I thought it unrealistic because it was too conservative. Payroll from $190 to $240 million from now until 2010? I won't be shocked if it gets to $300 million.

Chisox003
12-30-2004, 11:04 PM
What I like the most about this is their predictions on where they will finish each year....Is this a joke or am I missing something?

Jjav829
12-30-2004, 11:27 PM
What I like the most about this is their predictions on where they will finish each year....Is this a joke or am I missing something?
It's a joke, but unfortunately it isn't as far off as it sounds. I can easily see half of those players being Yankees sooner rather than later.

NonetheLoaiza
12-30-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm willing to bet 75% of that won't happen.
i forgot the teal on the first part...whoops...

HomeFish
12-30-2004, 11:38 PM

I think a lot of people don't realize that its a joke, based on some of the responses.

SOXintheBURGH
12-30-2004, 11:49 PM
I liked this

2010 Rotation:

Ben Sheets
Johan Santana
Mark Prior
Josh Beckett
Dontrelle Willis

Brad Lidge closing =

Under .500!!!

dcb33
12-31-2004, 12:11 AM
I think a lot of people don't realize that its a joke, based on some of the responses.Isn't everything on Page 2 meant to be satirical/humorous? I have always liked the "What were they thinking?" lists....

I find the thought of the Messiah being lured away from the Northside to the Evil Empire to be hilarious. I could just imagine watching Cubs fans and faithful Cubs minions in the press such as Murph and Mariotti lose their lunches while the Tribune Co. comes up with excuses as to why they weren't able to pony up the same amount of cash as King George to keep Prior.

doublem23
12-31-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm 100% sure Prior will be in New York the first time he can leave the Cubs. My uncle, a lifelong Cub fan, said that from the first time he saw Prior pitch.

FightingBillini
12-31-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm willing to bet that about 75% of that is going to end up being right. It's really sad. The plus is that they arent going to win the WS any time soon!
That last part shouldn't have been in teal.

FarWestChicago
12-31-2004, 03:29 AM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks its funny. :dunno:Correct, MM. To any of the rest of you who don't know ESPN The Tabloid Page 2 is their joke page, remove your Hangar tinfoil hat, crush it in your hands and throw it in the garbage. You seriously need to get some semblance of a grip on reality. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/kukoo.gif

MarkyBear
12-31-2004, 03:43 AM
George Steinbrenner ---> http://xtremezone.us/modules/Forums/images/smiles/kma.gif <--- ESPN

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2004, 11:24 AM
I know it was a joke and thought it was funny, hence my satirical comment. The thing thats funnier, as someone mentioned is that while it IS a joke, it isn't on the list of things that are never going to happen. As long as George has the reigns in NY, anything is possible.

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 02:56 AM
If the Yankees finish last with a rotation of Sheets, Santana, Prior, Beckett and Willis, I'd hate to see what Tampa Bay's rotation will be...:rolleyes:

SoxFanTillDeath
01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Correct, MM. To any of the rest of you who don't know ESPN The Tabloid Page 2 is their joke page, remove your Hangar tinfoil hat, crush it in your hands and throw it in the garbage. You seriously need to get some semblance of a grip on reality. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/kukoo.gif
My thoughts exactly...

gavindow
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm 100% sure Prior will be in New York the first time he can leave the Cubs. My uncle, a lifelong Cub fan, said that from the first time he saw Prior pitch.

Prior will never play for the New York Yankees, ever. When they were scouting him as a high school player (they wound up drafting him), they insulted his father.

He might be the only guy in Major League Baseball who will never, ever, play for the Yanks.

Hangar18
01-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Prior will never play for the New York Yankees, ever. When they were scouting him as a high school player (they wound up drafting him), they insulted his father.

He might be the only guy in Major League Baseball who will never, ever, play for the Yanks.
The Yanks insulted the Messiahs Father by offering a Bonus that was missing a couple ZEROs. Even as a HighSchooler, the Messiah wanted a few million, despite never having played College Ball. He waited and got his 10Million afew years later.
However, King George was very ANGRY that events turned out the way they did, and already has a contract drafted for when
the Chosen One is ready ......... King George never lets his man get away.