12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/BirdWatcher/History.html

A fun read.

MUsoxfan
12-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Interesting, but really hard on the eyes

ewokpelts
12-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Interesting, but really hard on the eyesand no pic of him in a sox uni?
Gene

zach074
12-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Wow reading that made me miss him alot. I was obsessed when i was younger. I still remember the day he came back from the ankle injury, didn't Ozzie have a plane fly over the stadium with a banner for him? The sox should host a Robin Ventura day this year. Me love Robin!:whiner:

john2499
12-30-2004, 07:26 PM
I will never forget when he hit a grand slam off Goose Gossage to win a game back in '91. I woke up, my then girlfriend, with with a jubilant scream. I still have the paper from the next day. It read "Holy Batman Robin"....Ah the memories.

Whitesox029
12-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I will never forget when he hit a grand slam off Goose Gossage to win a game back in '91. I woke up, my then girlfriend, with with a jubilant scream. I still have the paper from the next day. It read "Holy Batman Robin"....Ah the memories. I used to have a tape of that game...I might still have it actually. One of the best Sox moments I have ever witnessed--see my WSI public profile.

NonetheLoaiza
12-30-2004, 07:45 PM
I miss him too. I still remember that '93 season very clearly, and I was only 9 at the time. I became a die-hard Sox fan before that season, and that team he was on was one of the reasons I am still a die-hard fan.

doublem23
12-30-2004, 07:52 PM
I miss him too. I still remember that '93 season very clearly, and I was only 9 at the time. I became a die-hard Sox fan before that season, and that team he was on was one of the reasons I am still a die-hard fan.
Agreed. I turned 10 during September '93 and that Sox team and season is forever etched in my head. Robin and Frank are two of the major reasons that I became a diehard Sox fan, and not a Cub fan like most of my family and friends, I believe.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-30-2004, 08:05 PM
I realize his career realy faltered after he left the Sox, but I really believe the Sox should have kept him. I don't think he ever felt comfortable playing in another uniform. I think he would have been a more productive player in his twilight had he remained in a Sox uniform. Sox fans appreciated his work ethic. Cubs fans appreciated Sammy Sosa. That's the difference between the fans. Dikta had his Grabowski's, the Sox had their Robin Ventura.

Chisox003
12-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Agreed. I turned 10 during September '93 and that Sox team and season is forever etched in my head. Robin and Frank are two of the major reasons that I became a diehard Sox fan, and not a Cub fan like most of my family and friends, I believe.
I was 7 that year and I can still remember the starting lineup and rotation....My entire family is Sox fans, but that year is the first year I can remember actually following the team...Is that the year Robin hit 2 grand slams in 1 game?

john2499
12-30-2004, 08:12 PM
I used to have a tape of that game...I might still have it actually. One of the best Sox moments I have ever witnessed--see my WSI public profile.
Wow, you weren't even 4 yet. I remember it as an upswing in the annals of the White Sox. They had a new stadium, 4 great draft picks, Bo Jackson was aboard, new uniforms. It was a precursor of excitement that arrived in the next couple of years.

doublem23
12-30-2004, 09:35 PM
I was 7 that year and I can still remember the starting lineup and rotation....My entire family is Sox fans, but that year is the first year I can remember actually following the team...Is that the year Robin hit 2 grand slams in 1 game?
No, that was in 1995. From the link that started this post,

HIGH: It's one for the record: on September 4, 1995 Robin becomes the 1st player in 25 years to hit 2 grand slams in 1 game and the 4th to do it in consecutive at-bats. To make it even sweeter, the game is in Texas...and the Rangers fans actually cheer him instead of booing as they have since the Nolan Ryan incident.

Corlose 15
12-31-2004, 01:42 AM
This is kind of funny, I turned 10 in August of the 93 season and other than Carlton Fisk, Robin Ventura was my favorite player. Its interesting that a few of us early 20 somethings really point to that year as a major year in our sox fandom.

In the same way it isn't all that interesting since the Sox don't win division titles all that often.:tongue:

P.S. That ALCS made me hate Roberto Alomar and stupid Juan Guzman.:angry:

tsamdog
12-31-2004, 09:04 AM
This is kind of funny, I turned 10 in August of the 93 season and other than Carlton Fisk, Robin Ventura was my favorite player. Its interesting that a few of us early 20 somethings really point to that year as a major year in our sox fandom.

In the same way it isn't all that interesting since the Sox don't win division titles all that often.:tongue:

Damn, I feel old now......My first Sox game was against Cleveland, and......
Rocky Colovito! :whiner:

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2004, 10:15 AM

Juan Guzman. That definitely flares up some hateful feelings against that Toronto team. I remember that I couldn't stand him.

zach074
12-31-2004, 10:28 AM
I was 5 when i became a huge Robin fan, i wasn't into following the team that much but I followed and admired Robin.

BRDSR
12-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Wow reading that made me miss him alot. I was obsessed when i was younger. I still remember the day he came back from the ankle injury, didn't Ozzie have a plane fly over the stadium with a banner for him? The sox should host a Robin Ventura day this year. Me love Robin!:whiner:
When I heard about/saw that ankle injury I think I was almost sick to my stomach on multiple occasions. One because it was such a gruesome injury, and two because I felt so bad for Ventura. Not so much that I was worried about the lineup and the season without him...I just felt bad for him. That was a terrible spring training.

SouthSideHitman
12-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Man, I was obsessed with Robin ever since I was old enough to follow MLB and the Sox. I own literally every Robin Ventura White Sox baseball card that I've ever come across (somewhere north of 150) and I remember as a kid how I would meticulously add Robin the the roster of every AL all-star team on my baseball video games. It's funny I was only 7 but 1993 was my favorite season too. That was before the strike so my family still split season tickets with another in the upper deck and I rememeber many a great Saturday night followed by Sunday afternoon of White Sox baseball. I even got to miss school to go to one of the ALCS games and remember that I was heartbroken that Robin didn't even get a hit in the big game. *Sigh*, memories.

sullythered
12-31-2004, 01:14 PM

For sure. I was 13 in '93 and that was definately right around the start of my ridiculously rabid sports fandom. Particularly our beloved PaleHose. It was also the year that I recieved my most prized possesion, my Pudge Fisk rookie card.

Lip Man 1
12-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Ventura hit his two grand slams at Texas on September 4, 1995.

Lip

BigEdWalsh
12-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I really like your idea of a Robin Ventura day. That'd be awesome! :bandance:
I hope too that Robin could be enticed somehow to rejoin the Sox organization in one capacity or another.