PDA

View Full Version : Second Base Options

fledgedrallycap
12-30-2004, 09:50 AM
I was just checking out a rotoworld blurb that referenced available 2-baggers, and was just curious as to what everyone's preference would be....

Mark Grudzielanek
Alex Cora
Miguel Cairo
Tadahito Iguchi
Stay w/ Willie and get me a Catcher!

Tekijawa
12-30-2004, 09:53 AM
I'd like to follow up my answer and say that I think that the Sox are done making moves until-mid season if at all....

fledgedrallycap
12-30-2004, 10:27 AM
I voted for Cora due to his flexibility and lack of information about the Japanese player... I don't know if 2B is the most pressing need of this team, it just seems like it's one of the few positions that has remaining options on the FA Market.

JKryl
12-30-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm kind of surprised that so many are voting for an unknown in Iguchi, when we have a real need for a catcher. Obviously, I voted for the latter.

12-30-2004, 10:33 AM
None of those guys are an huge upgrade over Willie. While AJ would be a huge upgrade over Ben (although I do like to root for Ben) We invested so much in a good pitching staff, we need to have a veteran catcher to support them

34 Inch Stick
12-30-2004, 11:18 AM
We will be waiting until late January and do some bottom feeding with remaining players who are desperate for contracts.

fledgedrallycap
12-30-2004, 11:24 AM
We will be waiting until late January and do some bottom feeding with remaining players who are desperate for contracts.
White Sox Baseball: Outlet Shopping since 1901

fledgedrallycap
12-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Bruce Levine didn't have much to report on ESPN 1000, basically confirming previous reports in Kenny's interest with the Japanese 2B, even presenting a contract (who knows the amount) and AJ P. rumors are still hangin around.

FedEx227
12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
We need a better catcher before we run out and get an unproven/unknown 2nd basemen.

munchman33
12-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I'd like to see Grudzalanek. He has the good OBP we need from a two-hole guy, and shifts Aaron into a run-producing role.

munchman33
12-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm kind of surprised that so many are voting for an unknown in Iguchi, when we have a real need for a catcher. Obviously, I voted for the latter.
Because Iguchi has had tremendous success in Japan. If we sign him cheap, it is low risk with high reward potential.

DickAllen72
12-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Here is the line on Cora:

Career BA: .246 Career OBP: 314 Career SB/CS: 18/11

Here's a scouting report on Cora from ESPN:

Cora is a slap hitter, but he occasionally will hit a low inside fastball like a three-iron into the right-field corner and beyond. He can be overpowered by hard throwers and has a rough time handling breaking pitches. Though he has totaled only 128 at-bats versus lefties over the last three seasons, he has hit .305 against them over that time. Though slow for a middle infielder, Cora is an excellent second baseman. He also can fill in at shortstop, though his arm is not strong enough to play there on an everyday basis.

Willie Harris is a better player and has much more of an upside than Cora. Willie's big weakness is he can't hit lefties, so a platoon of Willie and Miguel Cairo, who hits lefties quite well would work out great.

Chisox003
12-30-2004, 07:41 PM
I'd like to see Grudzalanek. He has the good OBP we need from a two-hole guy, and shifts Aaron into a run-producing role.
I thought about Grudz too but it looks like the D-Rays are gonna snatch him...

eastchicagosoxfan
12-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Willie fits this team. Plenty of potential, tantalizing glances, but otherwise an underachiever. Stick with Willie. Ben Davis and Jamie Burke, although the same can be said about Davis, could certainly be upgraded. Neither has played a full season behind the plate.

ewokpelts
12-30-2004, 08:18 PM
:ralomar: after july 31