PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals sign Roberto Alomar

santo=dorf
12-29-2004, 11:20 PM
So who are we going to to give them come July 27th? :redneck

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spwright1230,0,4203834.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Roberto Alomar, whose Hall of Fame career first sputtered with the Mets, has agreed on a one-year contract with the NL champion Cardinals, Newsday has learned. A person familiar with the situation said St. Louis manager Tony La Russa personally called to recruit Alomar, but the one-year deal, worth $500,000 plus incentives, is not guaranteed.

NonetheLoaiza
12-29-2004, 11:25 PM
seriously, i hope KW realizes that he did not help us at all last year, and that he should be done.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I can't wait until July when KW decides its time to reaquire him again.

MeanFish
12-29-2004, 11:59 PM
:KW:
"Eckstein and Alomar. Now those are real grinders on that Cardinal team."

Chrisaway
12-30-2004, 01:10 AM
So who are we going to to give them come July 27th? :redneck

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spwright1230,0,4203834.story?coll=ny-sports-headlinesHey thats my birthday. I do not want him as a present again.

Jabroni
12-30-2004, 01:23 AM
We could easily sign Cora now. St. Louis was one of his top suitors. That is, if you guys even want him.

Foulke You
12-30-2004, 01:48 AM
I may get flamed for this...but if they bat him low in the order, in the NL Central, I could see Alomar being a solid contributor to the Cards. I mean, Womack wasn't exactly Nellie Fox at 2B. They really need Alomar just to be solid defensively, and provide a tad of offense at the bottom of the order. They didn't exactly break the bank on him either. I think that is a solid pick up by the Cards. Could be talking about it as a steal if Alomar has a comeback year.

And yes, I think Alomar's playing days on the Sox are done. Finally.:D:

StockdaleForVeep
12-30-2004, 01:54 AM
Now didnt berto state he would like to stay with the sox to get 3,000 hits? Now did KW not even give him an offer or did he get stingy and Bert sought elsewhere.

Id like to see how berto would do full time for a full season with us, he isnt a kenny lofton thats only good for half a season.

wsoxfan
12-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Roberto Alomar sucks! he's should retire from baseball cause the last 2 seasons have showed he's done.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2004, 03:32 AM
We could easily sign Cora now. St. Louis was one of his top suitors. That is, if you guys even want him.
We call the shots? I think you meant that to be in teal.

Wouldn't that just be the wackiest thing in the world; before making a move KW would conduct a poll here on WSI and go with the popular decision.

I maybe stealing that idea from Bill Veeck :D:

doublem23
12-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Roberto Alomar sucks! he's should retire from baseball cause the last 2 seasons have showed he's done.
Can't blame a guy for milking money from people willing to pay him.

SuperSteve
12-30-2004, 04:25 AM
Can't blame a guy for milking money from people willing to pay him. I have to imagine he wants to prove that he can still play. I don't see it being about the money, because the deal is not guarenteed. So basically if he earns a spot, he should get the money. $500k is alot better than the contracts many players have been recieving.

I just wonder what happen with Bo Hart. What I remember of him, he is better than what Alomar is now. I could see Foulke You being right on Alomar, and I think it is a low risk/high reward move my the Cardinals.

idseer
12-30-2004, 10:46 AM
step back and look at the facts. he averaged over .260 last year. he's averaged over .260 the last 2 years. he's averaged over .260 the last 3 years.
he's a very good fielder.
he may not be what he once was, but he's probably about middle of the pack as far as 2nd basemen go.

Jabroni
12-30-2004, 10:55 AM
We call the shots? I think you meant that to be in teal.

Wouldn't that just be the wackiest thing in the world; before making a move KW would conduct a poll here on WSI and go with the popular decision.

I maybe stealing that idea from Bill Veeck :D:I just meant that this is good news if you guys wanted KW to sign Cora. St. Louis was his best option since all they had was Bo Hart at 2B. :tongue:

duke of dorwood
12-30-2004, 10:55 AM
I'd rather have him than Harris

Rocklive99
12-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Not bad for the money I guess. LOL, it's crazy to think how much he would've cost in his early days compared to now

DSpivack
12-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Eh, with the Cards as my 2nd fave team I'm not enamored with the move. I had figured Robbie Alomar was basically done, I thought they could get someone better. Jocketty is a good GM and I was happy with getting Mulder, but losing Womack (although I don't think he can reproduce last year's totals, but still), Renteria (Eck is decent but Edgar will prove to be a big loss), Matheny (offensive woe, but in the NL that pales in comparison to his defense and handling of the pitching staff; although I am confident that Yadier Molinacan more than handle the job) will be tough.

That said, the Cards haven't announced Alomar as their 2B, according to their website. The report came from a NY newspaper.