PDA

View Full Version : Who bats second

eastchicagosoxfan
12-29-2004, 07:22 PM
I've seen a variety of suggested line-ups, most with Rowand in the two spot. However, from what I've heard through the media, Uribe will bat second. Without citing any evidence, I prefer Rowand batting second. What are the opinions out there?

zach074
12-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I would say Rowand, last year he proved himself unlike any other guy who could bat second.

OEO Magglio
12-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I've seen a variety of suggested line-ups, most with Rowand in the two spot. However, from what I've heard through the media, Uribe will bat second. Without citing any evidence, I prefer Rowand batting second. What are the opinions out there?
I think we'll sign Cora and he'll be batting 2nd, jmo.

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Rowand is a better OBP guy and I see Uribe as more of a power guy than Rowand. Rowand's also faster, so I'd agree with putting Rowand in the 2 spot over Uribe, who is better suited for the 6 spot.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm coming around to the idea that our catcher should bat #2. That way Willie Harris can bat #9... we can't afford to clog up the bottom of the line up.

:redneck

I have big expectations of Willie next season. Once he figures out how to steal first base we'll be serious contenders.

:redneck:redneck

Daver
12-29-2004, 08:22 PM
What's on third.

Shingotime!!
12-29-2004, 08:24 PM
i would feel comfortable with eathier in the 2 spot but i do not want to see Rowand in the 6 spot.

Pods
Rowand
Thomas
Konerko
Dye
Uribe
Crede
Davis
Harris

the 7-9 is horrible but can easily be fixed with cora and pierzynski

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 08:24 PM
First Base!

doublem23
12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
I have big expectations of Willie next season. Once he figures out how to steal first base we'll be serious contenders.

Maybe he can learn how to steal 2nd while he's at it. :rolleyes:

Daver
12-29-2004, 08:30 PM
First Base!
No,no,no.

Who's on first.

RKMeibalane
12-29-2004, 09:59 PM
However, from what I've heard through the media, Uribe will bat second.
Rowand is the most likely candidate to bat in the two spot. The only thing that might prevent that from happening is Frank's absence. Regardless, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything the media says about the White Sox. They rarely have a clue as to what's going on with this team.

nccwsfan
12-29-2004, 10:02 PM
No question that it should be Rowand, provided he can continue putting up the numbers.

NonetheLoaiza
12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Rowand has the best ability to make contact and move the runners over, however, he has to learn how to put a bunt down successfully. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your #2 hitter supposed to be able to make contact/do the little things to get the runner over and in? I would think Rowand would do a better job than Uribe at that.

Jabroni
12-30-2004, 12:30 AM
I'm coming around to the idea that our catcher should bat #2. That way Willie Harris can bat #9... we can't afford to clog up the bottom of the line up.

:redneck

:redneck:redneckIs there any way we can just use Ben Davis as a defensive catcher and let Ross Gload hit for him? I'd rather see that than Davis in our lineup.

I'm not even sure that should be in teal.

MeanFish
12-30-2004, 12:45 AM
We could always let Juan Uribe catch. He's got a good arm and is up on his spanish :)

SuperSteve
12-30-2004, 03:31 AM
Rowand is the only viable candidate to bat second. Uribe doesn't hit for enough average to bat second IMHO, and Willie would be too much like Podsednik (assuming Willie ever figures it out) to have him bat second. I think Dye should bat fourth, and would flourish with the protection of Frank and Kong around him. Crede, no way to batting second, same goes for Ben Davis.

beck72
12-30-2004, 07:02 AM
I see Uribe likely to hit #2, as it stands now. But if the sox get a guy like Iguchi or Cairo, they'd prob. hit there. Uribe can move runners over better than Rowand. I haven't checked the stats but I'm sure Uribe had more SH than Aaron

maurice
12-30-2004, 12:25 PM
I agree there's an excellent chance that we will see Uribe batting second. Not because that's smart, but rather because our manager was a frustrated, low-OBP SS who always wanted to hit at the top of the order.

Rowand or whoever plays 2B would be a better option. I like Rowand up in the order with Uribe (a streaky, low-contact guy) around #6.

ewokpelts
12-30-2004, 05:59 PM
I've seen a variety of suggested line-ups, most with Rowand in the two spot. However, from what I've heard through the media, Uribe will bat second. Without citing any evidence, I prefer Rowand batting second. What are the opinions out there?:ralomar:...after july 31 , of course!

OzzieBall2004
12-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Anyone hear Willie Harris on WSCR with Rosenbloom today? I heard the replay tonight, and he seemed upbeat (no surprise) about next season. He liked the moves and they asked him where he thought he should bat and he said 1st or 2nd, but said probably 2nd with SPod coming in. I wanna like this guy so bad, but he needs to produce. He said he needs to bump up his average and his SB's and he'll be alright. I really think having SPod and Raines around will help him, but I still would rather have Taguchi(?) or Cora. Cora doesnt blow me away, but at least you know what your getting that way.

DickAllen72
12-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Cora doesnt blow me away, but at least you know what your getting that way.

Yeah, a career .245 BA and a career .314 OBP with little speed.

I'll take a Willie/Cairo platoon at 2B any day. Iguchi or Polanco would be nice also.

k3baseball
01-02-2005, 01:02 AM
I'll take a Willie/Cairo platoon at 2B any day. Iguchi or Polanco would be nice also.[/QUOTE]

If we get AJ, I'd settle for a Willie/Cairo platoon.

RowandKicksAss07
01-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I would like to see Rowand in the two spot because then hes got frank paulie and dye behind him. If you put him sixth, i dont think our 7-9 could drive him in if he ever gets on or they might just pitch around him. The two spot in the order is very important because if Pods doesnt get on base, we need someone to start the rally going. I'd be more comfortable if we had Rowand there. I can't see Willie at this point hitting first or second. He's gotta prove he can do it consistently before he ever dreams of hitting up in the order again.

chisoxmike
01-02-2005, 02:06 PM
1. Podsednik
2. Rowand
3. Konerko (until Thomas comes back)
4. Dye
5. Evertte (until Thomas comes back, then you move Konerko to #4, and Dye #5, and Evertte goes on the bench)

6. Uribe
7. Davis/ Burke
8. Crede
9. Harris

*I'm not going to put down anyone that hasn't been signed yet, we've all been jinxing everything by putting players yet to be signed in Sox uniforms and in 2005 lineups. Please, all, lets stop doing this.

VivaOzzie
01-02-2005, 02:21 PM
How about Rowand batting 3rd? (assuming he puts up similar number as last season) Dye and Everett being interchangeable...but Frank batting 5th when healthy.

1. Pods
2. Uribe
3. Rowand
4. Paulie
5. Dye -----either
6. Everett -----way
7. Crede
8. Davis/Burke
9. Willie

eastchicagosoxfan
01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Frank? Batting fifth? :angry: That won't go over very well. That would be like putting Fisk in left field.

johnny_mostil
01-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Frank? Batting fifth? :angry: That won't go over very well. That would be like putting Fisk in left field.
It also makes no sense given the fact that he's usually got the highest OBP and OPS on the team. The degree to which White Sox fans and Chicago media go to dis The Big Hurt never ceases to amaze me.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-02-2005, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=eastchicagosoxfa]Frank? Batting fifth? :angry: That won't go over very well. That would be like putting Fisk in left field./QUOTE]

It also makes no sense given the fact that he's usually got the highest OBP and OPS on the team. The degree to which White Sox fans and Chicago media go to dis The Big Hurt never ceases to amaze me.I like Hurt in the three spot. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. In this age of tv, that's not a good thing. I think he should structure his time with the media. For instance, he could choose to speak after the game at the club media sessions exclusively. No locker room interviews. He could appear with Ozzie, in a much more controlled atmosphere, and have his thoughts together. Also, with Ozzie, he probably wouldn't have to answer many questions. Frank could pick and choose his spots,and always use a no comment response to questions he doesn't want to answer. I'm not being sarcastic, although it may sound that way. It's Frank's time, he should structure it. I think he would relate to the media better.

konerko1413
01-02-2005, 08:36 PM
i think both rowand an uribe would be excellent in both the 2 and 6 spot, but rowand's a better bunter, sso as for movin pods to third after he steals second, rowand is the man for that job

OEO Magglio
01-02-2005, 08:38 PM
i think both rowand an uribe would be excellent in both the 2 and 6 spot, but rowand's a better bunter, sso as for movin pods to third after he steals second, rowand is the man for that job
Juan's a better bunter then aaron.

PicktoCLick72
01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
I think there is very little difference Between Rowand and Uribe at the 2 spot but Aaron has more power so we should put him down there to give him more run producing opportunities.

Shingotime!!
01-02-2005, 09:16 PM
our whole team needs bunting lessons. yes, including Big Frank and Paulie. jk.

mcfish
01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
our whole team needs bunting lessons. yes, including Big Frank and Paulie. jk.Why "jk"? You make a very good point. There's no reason why Big Frank and Paulie shouldn't learn how to bunt with the rest of the team, even if they won't use it often.

danimal81
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
How about Rowand batting 3rd? (assuming he puts up similar number as last season) Dye and Everett being interchangeable...but Frank batting 5th when healthy.

1. Pods
2. Uribe
3. Rowand
4. Paulie
5. Dye -----either
6. Everett -----way
7. Crede
8. Davis/Burke
9. Willie
Me Likey this, espesciially if, at the beginning of the year, Uribe is doing well. The this really makes sense... Sorry, but Big hurt is hurt and getting a bit older, avg dropping maybe needs to get farther down in order.:cool:

BRDSR
01-03-2005, 03:15 PM
I like Hurt in the three spot. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. In this age of tv, that's not a good thing. I think he should structure his time with the media. For instance, he could choose to speak after the game at the club media sessions exclusively. No locker room interviews. He could appear with Ozzie, in a much more controlled atmosphere, and have his thoughts together. Also, with Ozzie, he probably wouldn't have to answer many questions. Frank could pick and choose his spots,and always use a no comment response to questions he doesn't want to answer. I'm not being sarcastic, although it may sound that way. It's Frank's time, he should structure it. I think he would relate to the media better.
I think everybody but the media is better off if Frank just refrains from speaking to the media like he's done in the past. That is definitely fine with me.

Jerome
01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
If Podsednik doesn't do better than his .313 OBP of last year, we're going to have to ask ourselves who will bat first.

mjharrison72
01-03-2005, 04:31 PM
If Podsednik doesn't do better than his .313 OBP of last year, we're going to have to ask ourselves who will bat first.After he gets a solid chance, and I mean a REALLY solid chance, at least 200 AB, and he's still not producing at the top of the lineup, I think Rowand is his clear replacement. Part of this team's problem is never letting the lineup gel at all, and I think Pods will prove he's worthy, even if his numbers aren't close to his rookie year, if he can swipe a base almost every time he gets on, as advertised.
-M

JUribe1989
01-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Here's what I think the lineup should be
1. CF Podsednik
2. LF Rowand
3. DH Everett/Thomas
4. 1B Konerko
5. RF Dye
6. SS Uribe
7. C Burke/Davis/Pierzynski (Assuming he's signed)
8. 3B Crede
9. 2B Harris (Hopefully Cora or Iguchi signed)

Thoughts?
I would also have Valdez getting more playing time.