PDA

View Full Version : This is how you woo a free agent

ChiSox14305635
12-29-2004, 05:53 PM
From Tom Verducci's winners/losers column in CNN/SI on 12/14:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/tom_verducci/12/14/winners.losers/index.html

Matt Mantei
The reliever called the Cubs and offered to pitch for them for the minimum salary, $312,000. The Cubs inexplicably had to think about it. In the meantime, the Red Sox invited him to Boston, flew him in first class, decorated his hotel room with world championship Red Sox pennants and balloons and a bucket of locally brewed beer on ice. They also flew in manager Terry Francona to meet him. Mantei immediately signed for $750,000.
A Cubs team that had a crappy bullpen at best, and they get picky? Brought to you by the same ownership that could've had Beltran, but were too cheap to open up the massive pocketbook they have.

NSSoxFan2
12-29-2004, 06:05 PM
:maggs
"I called the Cubs to play for $312,000 too!"

pudge
12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
You really have to wonder how true a story like that is.

Rocklive99
12-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't doubt the Red Sox portion of it, I have many friends in Boston who say that Epstein does that too all the FA, including Wade Miller

santo=dorf
12-29-2004, 08:29 PM
You really have to wonder how true a story like that is.
I recall hearing reports that Mantei called "The Genius" Jim Hendry willing to play for the minimum, but the Cubs weren't interested. But who's to say Mantei will be any good next year?

beckett21
12-29-2004, 08:31 PM
I recall hearing reports that Mantei called "The Genius" Jim Hendry willing to play for the minimum, but the Cubs weren't interested. But who's to say Mantei will be any good next year?
So what if he is no good? They would have had nothing to lose, unlike the Sox did with Koch. League minimum? Are you kidding me?? If that were true they should have jumped all over that.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Ah, it's nice to see that the Cubune is back to their cheap ways of running the cubs. Have they signed anyone yet other than a few of their players such as Nomar and Hollandsworth? :smile:

soltrain21
12-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Ah, it's nice to see that the Cubune is back to their cheap ways of running the cubs. Have they signed anyone yet other than a few of their players such as Nomar and Hollandsworth? :smile:

I knew it was going to happen. They have the fans hooked for another couple of years. They won't have to spend any more money for a while.

kittle42
12-29-2004, 09:54 PM
I thought the best way to woo a free agent was to bring Benny the Bull to the airport.

Whitesox029
12-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Ah, it's nice to see that the Cubune is back to their cheap ways of running the cubs. Have they signed anyone yet other than a few of their players such as Nomar and Hollandsworth? :smile: The net change to the Cubs this winter is minus Moises Alou and minus Matt Clement. That's it.

Whitesox029
12-29-2004, 10:31 PM
So what if he is no good? They would have had nothing to lose, unlike the Sox did with Koch. League minimum? Are you kidding me?? If that were true they should have jumped all over that. I wouldn't have even paid Koch league minimum if I'd known what a bum he'd be

santo=dorf
12-29-2004, 11:10 PM
The net change to the Cubs this winter is minus Moises Alou and minus Matt Clement. That's it.
Don't forget Henry Blanco!!!!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2004, 03:38 AM
From Tom Verducci's winners/losers column in CNN/SI on 12/14:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/tom_verducci/12/14/winners.losers/index.html

A Cubs team that had a crappy bullpen at best, and they get picky? Brought to you by the same ownership that could've had Beltran, but were too cheap to open up the massive pocketbook they have.
:reinsy
"Wooing a free agent should not be neccessary. The free agent wooing me, now that makes sense. Besides, is he paying me, or am I paying him? That's right. Sometimes you nickel and dime peons really know how to make me giggle. Keep it up and see if I don't cut payroll in 2006."

beckett21
12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't have even paid Koch league minimum if I'd known what a bum he'd be
No kidding. Talk about stealing money...

beckett21
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
I thought the best way to woo a free agent was to bring Benny the Bull to the airport. :roflmao:

:yup:

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
The Cubs are probably alot more profitable when thier payroll is down. They will Sellout reguardless. The worse they are the happier I am.