PDA

View Full Version : Boston silly rumor? Harrelson going to Devil Rays? ( from WEEI Boston )

Fenway
12-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Sean McDonough the former TV voice of the Red Sox told WEEI this morning that he waiting to hear back from Comcast concerning the White Sox TV position. He says that Ken Harrelson is mulling the Devil Rays job which is much closer to his home in Orlando.

If the White Sox job is not available he is in line to get the Washington job.

OEO Magglio
12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Sean McDonough the former TV voice of the Red Sox told WEEI this morning that he waiting to hear back from Comcast concerning the White Sox TV position. He says that Ken Harrelson is mulling the Devil Rays job which is much closer to his home in Orlando.

:(: I hope this isn't true.

Rocky Soprano
12-29-2004, 04:19 PM
What???? Harrelson leave the Sox? I dont see that happening.

BigDon77
12-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Hawk's gotta stay, he might be the only reason I watch this year

SoxyStu
12-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Good Riddance.

HITMEN OF 77
12-29-2004, 04:24 PM
I can't see Hawk leaving the Sox. It just wont happen. Having been here some 20 years, I just can' imagine the Sox without Hawk.

California Sox
12-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Wow. The only way this could possibly be good news is if he'd take DJ with him.

Sean McD is awful. Here's who I think the Sox should groom as their next color guy (but it would never happen): Jack McDowell. I would love to have Black Jack at the mike. But team him with Hawk. If we lose Hawk it could really be a dreary 2005.

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 04:26 PM
The last I heard Hawk was under a longterm contract that went long past this year.

EDIT: I just found it. He's signed through 2008.

wsoxfan
12-29-2004, 04:28 PM
I hope that's not true but I say the Sox should try and get Steve Stone. Hawk and Stone would be a entertaining combo and it would piss off Flub fans even more. Stone actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to baseball, just a suggestion...

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Sean McDonough the former TV voice of the Red Sox told WEEI this morning ....
I'll give you one guess who Sean McDonough's "source" is on this one.
:cool:

:moron
"I also happen to know Hawk is possessed by space aliens... but that's strictly off the record."

HITMEN OF 77
12-29-2004, 04:33 PM
The last I heard Hawk was under a longterm contract that went long past this year.

That's good news. Can he break that contract though?

Nick@Nite
12-29-2004, 04:37 PM
If Hawk comes out here, DJ can stay in Chicago.

Actually, I like the idea of a Hawk/Steve Stone combo... it'd be entertaining, that's for sure.

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 04:37 PM
That's good news. Can he break that contract though?
I haven't found anything on the terms.

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 04:40 PM

I'm sure the White Sox would accomodate him if he so desired, but I agree with PHG that this is probably Mariotti spreading BS about Hawk to try to run Hawk out of town now that Mariotti lost his radio gig and Hawk was gloating about it.

ode to veeck
12-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Yet another unsubtantiated trade rumor thread, even if I wouldn't really miss the Hawk at all

veeter
12-29-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm torn on Hawk. Part of me loves him and knows he wants the Sox to win more than anything. On the other hand I don't like how he's become so outspoken about personal matters like his fueds with Boers and Bernstein, then with Jay Marriotti. I also thought he was way out of line at last Soxfest when he stated that Maggs was gone after the year because he was going to test the market. That may have been true but it made Hawk sound like a loose cannon. I don't want my announcer to be in the headlines. I want him to announce games.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 04:55 PM

<pinching his nose to disguise his voice>
"Yes, Mr. McDonough. We at Comcast are very interested in your availability for the Sox job. We anticipate an opening very shortly. Wait by your phone."

15 minutes later, McDonough's phone rings again...

"Hey Sean! It's Jay! Did you hear the news? Harrelson is homesick for Florida and wants the Tampa job... or the one in Washington... err... I mean he wants to leave the Sox. Anyway, have you called Comcast about it yet? It would be your big chance to get back into play-by-play, don't ya think, huh, huh?"

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
i find it hard to believe he would leave the sox but i'd be sad to see him go. his home run call is legendary and it pisses off cubs fans a ton.

stillz
12-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Hawk leaving would devastate the TV broadcasts. He's as clever and astute as any play-by-play man in the game - knows when to talk and when to let the action speak for itself. I hope it ain't so. But yeah, if he goes, DJ should go too.

Definitely smacks of Mariotti BS.

eshunn2001
12-29-2004, 05:08 PM
We could replace Hawk with............. Marriotti. And hire Steve Stone and dump DJ.

AZChiSoxFan
12-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, Cruzer's cousin told me that he heard that Hawk is taking the announcing job with the A's.

MeanFish
12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Little did we know that Cruzer's cousin was a sox fan named Tony....

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Actually, I like the idea of a Hawk/Steve Stone combo... it'd be entertaining, that's for sure. It would be entertaining, but who would do the PBP? Both of those guys are color analysts.

I like Hawk some times, but most of the time he is like my grandfather. Quiet, boring, and pissed off.

Adding on, I doubt Hawk will leave now when the team is probably the best he's seen since 2000.

doublem23
12-29-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm torn on Hawk. Part of me loves him and knows he wants the Sox to win more than anything. On the other hand I don't like how he's become so outspoken about personal matters like his fueds with Boers and Bernstein, then with Jay Marriotti. I also thought he was way out of line at last Soxfest when he stated that Maggs was gone after the year because he was going to test the market. That may have been true but it made Hawk sound like a loose cannon. I don't want my announcer to be in the headlines. I want him to announce games.Don't blame Hawk for saying what the guy who signs his checks wants him to say.

:reinsy
Remember that "Diminshed Skills" clause? Well, Hawk's got one, too, and I ain't afraid to use it.

:tongue:

Jjav829
12-29-2004, 05:46 PM
He probably just wants to be able to talk about Lou Pinella's great managing skills for 9 innings.

:hawk
"Mmmm hmmm, Sweet Lou, the Devil Rays got themselves a manager."

This really wouldn't surprise me if true.

Jabroni
12-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Well, Cruzer's cousin told me that he heard that Hawk is taking the announcing job with the A's.Was Hawk on his cell phone at the airport? :tongue:

DVsoxfan
12-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Was Hawk on his cell phone at the airport? :tongue:
LoL :roflmao:

NSSoxFan2
12-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't see why any Sox fan would have anything bad to say about him. I know I am a huge Hawk fan. Just remember one thing, no one brings the kind of emotion that a Sox fan has to a broadcast better than Hawk, period. Our radio guys are the best in the biz, but Hawk is a great TV PBP. When the Sox are losing, no one mimics my emotions better than Hawk. And the same goes for when they are winning.

I really hope that these are just rumors.

HomeFish
12-29-2004, 06:03 PM
This cannot be allowed to pass. My already slim hopes for a Hawk/Farmer TV team would be completely crushed.

gf2020
12-29-2004, 06:06 PM

This makes it sound like that Sean had discussed it with Comcast previously.

Anyway, I hope Hawk stays. I can't live without "put it on the board...yes!."

If Hawk ditches out on us, they should get Roony and Farmer, pretty them up and throw them on television.

Rocklive99
12-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I like Hawk, but he seems to be losing it a little (last year, 'stretch' and 'get up' after every fly ball) and the silence/tone of the broadcast when the Sox are losing gets annoying. With that said though, I don't want Sean M, I was just thinking about how annoying he was after hearing him somewhere. Sean M and DJ would prob make me switch to Rooney and Farmer full time (I love them), or *gasp* make me pine for that SAP feature again

Brian26
12-29-2004, 08:05 PM

I hope this is BS.

It would be sad to lose Hawk. It would be a tragedy to hire Sean McDounough to replace him. Actually, that very notion makes this rumor seem like bologna. I've always thought John Rooney would move over to the tv booth when Hawk decides to leave.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-29-2004, 08:10 PM
I hope that's not true but I say the Sox should try and get Steve Stone. Hawk and Stone would be a entertaining combo and it would piss off Flub fans even more. Stone actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to baseball, just a suggestion...That's a heckuva a lot of ego in one booth.

mike squires
12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Hawk is 62. You would thnk he would be just about ready for retirement. I would think a year or two and he'd be ready to call it a day. He's had such a long affiliate with the Whitesox you would think he would let folks know this is it and give us a good send off. I just can't picture him saying Yeeeeeees for a team like Tampa...or any team for that matter.

Lip Man 1
12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
I worked with McDonough in the early 90's at the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, for ESPN. It was in December 1992. (My position on the telecast was a small one...) All I can say is the guy is the biggest SOB on the planet. Extremely conceited and he expected 'star' treatment.

His partner calling the game, Mike Gottfreid was the exact opposite. Down to earth, very friendly and willing to talk football with anyone.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
I worked with McDonough in the early 90's at the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, for ESPN. It was in December 1992. (My position on the telecast was a small one...) All I can say is the guy is the biggest SOB on the planet. Extremely conceited and he expected 'star' treatment.

His partner calling the game, Mike Gottfreid was the exact opposite. Down to earth, very friendly and willing to talk football with anyone.

Lip
Well don't leave us hanging, Lip. Who won the game?

I missed this year's Humanitarian Bowl. They changed the name and it will never be same for me. Okay, maybe it will...
:redface:

Daver
12-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Well don't leave us hanging, Lip. Who won the game?

I missed this year's Humanitarian Bowl. They changed the name and it will never be same for me. Okay, maybe it will...
:redface:
MCS Computer Bowl.

The turf is still blue.

:redneck

redandwhite
12-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Is the job as token Red Sox fan already taken?

Daver
12-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Is the job as token Red Sox fan already taken?
Yeah, but we can always use a back up.

Hell, we have fans from just about every other team posting here, why not have a couple from the Red Sox.

redandwhite
12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, but we can always use a back up.

Hell, we have fans from just about every other team posting here, why not have a couple from the Red Sox.
Thanks for the welcome, my freind.

:wink:

AMestan
12-29-2004, 11:03 PM
I used to like Hawk, until "Mindsets, thought processes, Pea Pod, Joe's got a lot of potential, Jerry's the most understood man in Chicago, what do think DJ"....Blah, Blah, Blah. If Hawk would do the game by himself we would all be better off. DJ is terrible. The whole telecast is nothing but hot hot air. They don't SHUT UP. I listen to the radio when the game is on, so I don't have to hear about the potential of Artie Munoz. When Hawk was with Drysdale he was great. Drysdale would keep him in check, it was a professional broadcast. DJ and Hawk forget who their audience is. DJ can't pronounce Damen Ave., DJ tells us how beatuiful the lake is, what an exciting city Chicago is, well we're we from Chicago so what are you telling us. If Hawk leaves with DJ it's a plus. Mc Doughana (check spelling) is a professional who will do a game correctly. He'll understand that his listeners understand the game and won't tolerate any Bull ****. Say what you want about Farmer and Rooney, they don't treat us as children and don't kiss up to Jerry half as much as DJ and Hawk.

mike squires
12-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Drysdale was the best. Hawk also knew his role with Don though and that was color man...and did a good job with that. With his experience he may have gotten a bit egotistical. If he goes I'll miss him.

Win1ForMe
12-29-2004, 11:42 PM
I have to say, this would be sad news indeed. First big Damon and now Hawk? Hopefully it's just a BS rumor.

And in no way do I want that Red Sox driveling dweeb in my broadcast booth.

Win1ForMe
12-29-2004, 11:47 PM
I also hope that this isn't some Comcast orchestrated force out. These are, after all, the same brilliant people that decided to replace Norm Van Lier with Stacy King.

Norberto7
12-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Sox games wouldn't be the same without Hawk...and who knows if Timo Perez wouldn't have scored that game winning run without Hawk's encouragement? He could be a couple wins over the course of a season...

soxnut
12-30-2004, 01:28 AM
I hope it's not true either. I love Hawk. If they want to replace Hawk, well as long as it's not Sean McD. Just what Comcast needs-- another vanilla personality on that channel.:(:

But I could see it happening. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to view Comcast Sportsnet yet, for the most part, it has got to be the most bland broadcasting personalities I have ever seen. If it wasn't for Mitch Robinson and Dan Jiggets, there would basically be no feeling or flavor of Chicago at all. I'm pretty disappointed with the station so far.

JoseCanseco6969
12-30-2004, 02:19 AM
I hope this is BS.

It would be sad to lose Hawk. It would be a tragedy to hire Sean McDounough to replace him. Actually, that very notion makes this rumor seem like bologna. I've always thought John Rooney would move over to the tv booth when Hawk decides to leave.
I agree, I couldnt imagine a sox game without the Hawk. It would just be like watching those horrible announcers on Fox. Please, please let these rumors not be true!!!!!!:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Nellie_Fox
12-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Help me out here, folks. Are there going to be Sox games on WGN next year, or am I pretty much shut out? Is Comcast just taking over the FoxSports games, or all of them?

TDog
12-30-2004, 03:51 AM
:(: I hope this isn't true.
Not unless they're interested in making him the GM. Sorry, I can never find the teal button.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2004, 03:54 AM
Help me out here, folks. Are there going to be Sox games on WGN next year, or am I pretty much shut out? Is Comcast just taking over the FoxSports games, or all of them? I'm almost 100% positive they're just taking the FSN games. The Bulls didn't lose their WGN games. The Sox and Bulls had the same deal with FSN and now with Comcast. I'm not too sure about the WCIU games, those I think will also stay because Comcast will also televise Cub games.

I almost forgot, this is my 300th post :D:

:bandance::bandance::bandance:
I'm now a proud member of the 300 club.

TornLabrum
12-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I'm almost 100% positive they're just taking the FSN games. The Bulls didn't lose their WGN games. The Sox and Bulls had the same deal with FSN and now with Comcast. I'm not too sure about the WCIU games, those I think will also stay because Comcast will also televise Cub games.

I almost forgot, this is my 300th post :D:

:bandance::bandance::bandance:
I'm now a proud member of the 300 club.
You are correct. The ratio of Comcast to WGN to WCIU games (produced by WGN) is the same as 2004.

SSN721
12-30-2004, 08:36 AM
I really hope this isnt true. At the end of last year one of the few things that would justify it in my head to watch this team was just to listen to Hawk. He has a deep attachment to the team and you can feel his desire to win in every broadcast. I just love how he always sems to reflect the mood of any Sox fan who is watching, and he knows when to be quiet and let the game itself play without commentary. I will dearly miss him if he goes and if he does I really hope they can manage to get Steve Stone. As much as we all dislike DJ he is certainly no Chimp, so all in all I suppose it has the potential to be a good braodcast team. If Hawk leaves. Which he better not.

gosox41
12-30-2004, 08:46 AM

I'l looooooovvvvvvvveeeee to see Hawk leave.

What about Steve Stone?

Bob

Jjav829
12-30-2004, 08:48 AM
I'l looooooovvvvvvvveeeee to see Hawk leave.

What about Steve Stone?

Bob
Stone would replace DJ, not Hawk. Hawk leaving would mean we would have to find a new play-by-play guy. It's too bad Len Kasper went to the Cubs. Not that he would have left the Marlins for the Sox, but it would have been nice.

mrwag
12-30-2004, 08:51 AM
My God. We could possibly be without Hawk AND Frank. This is like the end of White Sox baseball as we've known it for the last 14 years. How sad is that?:whiner:

gosox41
12-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Stone would replace DJ, not Hawk. Hawk leaving would mean we would have to find a new play-by-play guy. It's too bad Len Kasper went to the Cubs. Not that he would have left the Marlins for the Sox, but it would have been nice.

I could put up with DJ doing play by play if we got Stone. DJ may not be ready for it, but getting rid of Hawk and his giant ego would allow DJ to grow as a braodcaster.

Bob

Hangar18
12-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Can Someone please put this SILLY rumor to rest. Hawk Harrelson has been
a part of White Sox Baseball and White Sox Lore since 1983. He is one of the most Original and Entertaining broadcasters out there, and is a blast to listen to. He has come up with so many Hawk-isms and nicknames for players, its not funny. Hawk should have a lifetime Contract and should go Nowhere.

His persona is NOT known except for SOX fans because of the MEDIAS lust
for anything/everything cub.

Now, knowing how Stupid this Organization is, they would surely let him leave ...... only for him to become the cubs announcer.

daveeym
12-30-2004, 11:19 AM
That's a heckuva a lot of ego in one booth.
That's exactly what i was thinking. It looks good on paper but wouldn't work well on the field, would have been perfect for the last 3 years.

Jjav829
12-30-2004, 11:38 AM
I could put up with DJ doing play by play if we got Stone. DJ may not be ready for it, but getting rid of Hawk and his giant ego would allow DJ to grow as a braodcaster.

BobI couldn't. I'd sooner slam my head into a wall for 9 innings before I listen to DJ do play-by-play. Have you ever heard DJ do play-by-play before? It's awful. I'd rather listen to dead silence or those morons they put on SAP last year. They should move Rooney to the TV booth if Hawk leaves. Hell, give Willsy a shot. He'd be a better play-by-play guy than DJ.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I couldn't. I'd sooner slam my head into a wall for 9 innings before I listen to DJ do play-by-play. Have you ever heard DJ do play-by-play before? It's awful. I'd rather listen to dead silence or those morons they put on SAP last year. They should move Rooney to the TV booth if Hawk leaves. Hell, give Willsy a shot. He'd be a better play-by-play guy than DJ.
Have to Agree. You nailed it.

Dolanski
12-30-2004, 11:44 AM
I couldn't. I'd sooner slam my head into a wall for 9 innings before I listen to DJ do play-by-play. Have you ever heard DJ do play-by-play before? It's awful. I'd rather listen to dead silence or those morons they put on SAP last year. They should move Rooney to the TV booth if Hawk leaves. Hell, give Willsy a shot. He'd be a better play-by-play guy than DJ.
Hell yeah, Rooney is awesome. But I wouldn't want to break up him and Farmer, they have such good chemistry.

Oh, and not that it means anything since everyone these days seems to go back on their words concerning jobs and retirement (see Wannesedt, Keith Jackson, et al), but Stone already said the White Sox job is not something he would be interested in.

Mammoo
12-30-2004, 12:05 PM
I nominate North...he's a Sox fan and he's buddies with Owner Jerry!:tongue:

soxfan43
12-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Mike North is a huge douche bag. He's almost as bad as Mariotti. North used to host my teams hockey banquet in high school, he was terrible. he might have a bigger ego than Mariotti too if that's possible.

Kogs35
12-30-2004, 12:15 PM
I nominate North...he's a Sox fan and he's buddies with Owner Jerry!:tongue:
he was a rumored to be up for the job dj has now back in 2000 when wimpy left

HITMEN OF 77
12-30-2004, 12:20 PM
I know I'm in the minority here on this, but I like DJ. I think he's great in booth, his play by play is "OK", but I think he's so funny.

petekat
12-30-2004, 01:00 PM
why Farmer? he's such a tool. Rooney and Dj would be nice.

Hell yeah, Rooney is awesome. But I wouldn't want to break up him and Farmer, they have such good chemistry.

Oh, and not that it means anything since everyone these days seems to go back on their words concerning jobs and retirement (see Wannesedt, Keith Jackson, et al), but Stone already said the White Sox job is not something he would be interested in.

Lip Man 1
12-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Folks:

I don't think you are going to need to worry about Hawk leaving. However I can tell you that someone else connected with the Sox broadcasting end may be leaving and I got it from that person directly.

That's all I am allowed to say right now. If it happens you'll read about it I'd guess in a couple of weeks.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Folks:

I don't think you are going to need to worry about Hawk leaving. However I can tell you that someone else connected with the Sox broadcasting end may be leaving and I got it from that person directly.

That's all I am allowed to say right now. If it happens you'll read about it I'd guess in a couple of weeks.

Lip
I hope you didn't get this inside dope from ChiSoxTony's cellphone?
:wink:

Jerry_Manuel
12-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Folks:

Lip
Interesting scoop, Lip. That's sorta open ended though, do you mean an actual on air game caller?

I really don't count a guy like Wills as a Sox broadcaster.

dickallen15
12-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Lip worked with Sean McDounough at the Independence Bowl several years ago. I don't know if Lip is still working the Independence Bowl, but if he is, John Rooney definitely was this year, and if Lip heard it from the horses' mouth....................hmmmmmmmmmmmm

tsamdog
12-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Lip worked with Sean McDounough at the Independence Bowl several years ago. I don't know if Lip is still working the Independence Bowl, but if he is, John Rooney definitely was this year, and if Lip heard it from the horses' mouth....................hmmmmmmmmmmmm
ARGGGGHH! Rooney is as good as it gets on the radio. He even makes Farmio palatable. Hate the rumors.. :angry:

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Sox games wouldn't be the same without Hawk...and who knows if Timo Perez wouldn't have scored that game winning run without Hawk's encouragement? He could be a couple wins over the course of a season...
LOL. Great line.:D:

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:21 PM
he was a rumored to be up for the job dj has now back in 2000 when wimpy left
Rumored by who? Himself? North is an incompetent douchebag who has no business being affiliated with a major league baseball team in any capacity.

Lip Man 1
12-30-2004, 06:25 PM
I did NOT work the Independence Bowl this year. I have not spoken with nor contacted John Rooney. :smile:

Lip

dickallen15
12-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Rumored by who? Himself? North is an incompetent douchebag who has no business being affiliated with a major league baseball team in any capacity.It is true North had a sit down with JR. Hawk is buddies with North, and IIRC Hawk pushed for him. He almost got the job.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Rumored by who? Himself? North is an incompetent douchebag who has no business being affiliated with a major league baseball team in any capacity.
North was practically soaking his shorts for weeks, lobbying for the Sox TV color job during his midday show. Later he spent most of a week replaying over and over the "evidence" that Hawk Harrelson didn't like Darrin Jackson.

He is a troll and a mediot. That's why threads about North's latest bull**** always go straight into the WSI ****house.

mdep524
12-30-2004, 06:33 PM
ARGGGGHH! Rooney is as good as it gets on the radio. He even makes Farmio palatable. Hate the rumors.. :angry:
Agreed about Rooney. If he left it would be a very sad day for Sox broadcasts. :(:

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Agreed about Rooney. If he left it would be a very sad day for Sox broadcasts. :(:
Hope it's not true.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Speaking strictly for myself, I would be 1000-times more pissed about losing John Rooney than Hawk Harrelson.

Whenever I'm serious about watching a Sox game, I always turn down the TV volume and turn on my radio to listen to Rooney's call of the game. I get infinitely more information than any of Hawk's goofball (and often stale) faux homespun comedy schtick.

I want Mags back
12-30-2004, 06:44 PM
I hope that's not true but I say the Sox should try and get Steve Stone. Hawk and Stone would be a entertaining combo and it would piss off Flub fans even more. Stone actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to baseball, just a suggestion...
And he was a Sox for much longer than a cub
He so mad at the Flubs, it would be great for him

It would be greater for us.

I want Mags back
12-30-2004, 06:49 PM
It would be entertaining, but who would do the PBP? Both of those guys are color analysts.

I like Hawk some times, but most of the time he is like my grandfather. Quiet, boring, and pissed off.

Adding on, I doubt Hawk will leave now when the team is probably the best he's seen since 2000.
UR WRONG. HAWK HAS ALWAYS BEEN PBP. WIMPY AND THEN DJ WERE COLOR GUYS, AS WILL STONE

mdep524
12-30-2004, 06:49 PM
And he was a Sox for much longer than a cub
He so mad at the Flubs, it would be great for him

It would be greater for us.
Steve Stone should be in the Sox' front office, or at least dugout, if you ask me.

I want Mags back
12-30-2004, 06:57 PM

COMON TIMO, COMON TIMO,
COMON TIMO, COMON TIMO,

COMON TIMO, HERE'S THE THROW, SAFE, AND THE SOX WIN, YES!!

I WOULD HATE TO SEE HIS ENTHUASIM FOR STUFF LIKE THAT LEAVE.

Jjav829
12-30-2004, 07:24 PM
I hope he doesn't go, but I can definitely see Rooney leaving for bigger and better things.

winning ugly 72
12-30-2004, 07:41 PM
i agree hawk and stone would be great d.j. needs to go. i read in the paper during the stone drama on the north side that stone came to the cell to visit hawk during an off day for the cubs.

TornLabrum
12-30-2004, 10:45 PM
If Rooney happens to be the one leaving, one can only hope that Dave Wills replaces him. He did play-by-play for Kane County years ago and was excellent.

soxnut
12-30-2004, 11:38 PM
If anyone is leaving I'd have to say it's Wills. I remember at the end of the 2003 season on the last broadcast, Willsy hinted at the possibility of him leaving. I think he wants a job as a pbp guy, so I suppose if the opportunity came along, he'd go for it.

As I've stated earlier, it is is Hawk that is leaving and Sean McD is taking over, that would suck. He is just one of a dime-a-dozen generic sounding announcers, and Comcast already has enough of those, but I could see the dingbats at Comcast doing this.:angry:

Brian26
12-31-2004, 11:33 AM
Here's a surprising note:

2005 will be, hopefully, Rooney's 18th year with the White Sox! Wow, time flies. His first year was '88 when he did tv. He started on radio in '89 when Gary Thorne took over tv. In '90, Hawk returned and Thorne left.

Steelrod
12-31-2004, 05:58 PM
If a spot in the broadcast booth opens, would LOVE to have Paciorek back.

slavko
01-01-2005, 10:13 PM
None of the current announcers can sell the product. That's more important to the future of this team than minor differences in their mostly dull personalities and the depth of their esoteric baseball knowledge, which, while important to WSI people like us, is lost on the average listener. Willsy has the most potential of the bunch and is a heckuva PBP man, at least on non-baseball broadcasts. The TV and radio crews both need a shakeup. I hope the fall of this one domino starts something good in motion.

soltrain21
01-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Hawk has a dull personality?

mike squires
01-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Hopefully someone will ask Hwk about the rumors at upcomming Soxfest. I'd like to know what his answer would be...

Slats
01-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Who the heck told Hawk those glasses would be a good look for him?
:o:

Nellie_Fox
01-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Who the heck told Hawk those glasses would be a good look for him?
:o:He had just undergone some eye surgery at the end of last year (cataracts?) and the glasses were to protect his healing eyes, not a fashion statement. I suspect they'll be gone this year.

chisox77
01-02-2005, 11:53 PM
The legacy is rich: One-Dog, Big Hurt, Rockin' Robin, Black Jack, Ray-Ray, Maggs, El Caballo, etc.

Hawk has a colorful personality, and provides an interesting and insightful broadcast. But I would not mind a new color man to go with him - Steve Stone would be excellent, and Mike North would still take the job if it was offered, because his new morning show on The Score is awful - he should stick with sports and avoid most other topics.

Nellie_Fox
01-03-2005, 03:55 AM
Hawk has a colorful personality, and provides an interesting and insightful broadcast. But I would not mind a new color man to go with him - Steve Stone would be excellent, and Mike North would still take the job if it was offered, because his new morning show on The Score is awful - he should stick with sports and avoid most other topics.Stone's nasal whinings drive me crazy, plus I don't want a Cubs hand-me-down. Mike North? Ohmigawd, please. I would absolutely have to stop listening to and/or watching any Sox broadcast that included Mike North.

slavko
01-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Hawk has a dull personality?
One out of four. Proves my point.

JUribe1989
01-03-2005, 05:53 PM
I personally love Hawk just because I think I have been saying You Can Put It On The Board since I was 3

Tragg
01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
UR WRONG. HAWK HAS ALWAYS BEEN PBP. WIMPY AND THEN DJ WERE COLOR GUYS, AS WILL STONE
I only get to see 10-15 games a year and even I know they switch off - Hawk primarily does PBP but Jackson does a few innings as well.

John Rooney is the only real professional Sox broadcaster there is

slavko
01-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Hawk did color for Drysdale. Drysdale...toward the end of his time here didn't care and it showed. That was bad if the listener did care. Now Rooney IS professional, but he doesn't make the game come alive. I know that he's a good guy with no ego, but I've got to say it anyway. And Stone is a great analyst, but the poster that described him as whiny and nasal had it right. He has a better rep that he deserves because Cub fans have this tendency to exaggerate all that is theirs.

chaz171
01-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't see Hawk breaking a contract to go to another AL team. I don't see the legalities allowing it either.....

Rooney has done a variety of other sports for years. I don't see that changing.

Does Reinsdorf Hiring an outsider to handle broadcasts make any sense considering his recent decisions?

Rooney was for many years collecting two pay checks from the Sox. I truly believe he is and was Wayne Hagen! The only way I can see Rooney leaving the Sox is if the Chairman finally realized he was paying John Rooney Twice.......

chazberry
01-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Stone said some interesting asides while talking to Mac/Jurko/Harry concerning Chicago. i think he ends up with the Sox somehow. then the rumors about Kenny's job will begin!
Where Steve would fit, who knows. Hawk's our guy but DJ is so much better on his national gigs - what's up with that?
By the way, i love the radio broadcasts from Dave Wills and Beltin' Bill to the great call by Rooney and Ed (wish he still referred to the C-words as 'that other team').