PDA

View Full Version : Another baseless rumor thread: Magg's to Cubs...PLAN C????

mikesouthside
12-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Read the Sun-Times and it said that He (Magg's) was intrested. Any new info about this possibility? I've been out of office and haven't been keeping up. Let me know. THANKS.

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
I got a feeling Maggs is saying that to piss of the Sox. If Maggs was smart he'd sign with an AL team so he can DH a bit to help his knee, but then again we all know maggs is not smart.

Hangar18
12-29-2004, 02:19 PM
This is old news ......

mikesouthside
12-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Hangar...you are right. Over the past few months I have been becoming disattached from my Magg's love. He's gone....move on. Thanks for the reality check..ha.

Erik The Red
12-29-2004, 02:38 PM
This is old news ...... Um, I think he knows that, hence him asking if there was any "new info".

Baby Fisk
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
disattached from my Magg's love.Call for you on line one, Mr. Kittle42.

DrCrawdad
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Read the Sun-Times and it said that He (Magg's) was intrested. Any new info about this possibility? I've been out of office and haven't been keeping up. Let me know. THANKS.

I just got a phone call from my Cubbie fan brother-in-law saying he heard that Magglio is interested in playing for the Cubbies.

:maggs
"Mr. Boras, you promise me I'd make more money with more years than the White Sox originally offered me."

:borass:
"Magglio, how many times do I have to tell you, a one year contract at 3 million and a team option for a second year is better than that 3 year 15 million a year contract the Sox offered you because 20% of that 15 million a year is differed."

:maggs
"Mr. Boras, I still no understand how one year at 3 millions upfront is better than 12 millions a year upfront for three years."

:borass:
"Where is the trust?"

Jjav829
12-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Of course he is interested. He is in trouble now. He'll have interest in any team willing to give him the money.

Kilroy
12-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Maggs is interested in playing for any team that will offer him a deal, no matter who. I don't think he's got any prospects at all...

AZChiSoxFan
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
ChiSoxTony are you out there? Can you check with your "source" at the union and fill us all in on where Maggs is going to sign?

kittle42
12-29-2004, 03:37 PM
ChiSoxTony are you out there? Can you check with your "source" at the union and fill us all in on where Maggs is going to sign?The contract between Maggs and the Cubs has already been signed and is just waiting for approval before it can be announced.

You know the best thing about those threads? Even after all that ridiculousness, someone else could come along (hell, even ChiSoxTony could come along) and do the same thing again and it would STILL get like 200 responses, half of which would actually give some bit of credit to the "rumor."

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 03:45 PM
I fully expect Maggs to go to the Cubs as they wont get Beltran and wont give up ML talent to get an outfielder. Fans would be up in arms if they went with Jeromy Burnitz and he's being ridiculous about his worth anyways. Magglio makes much sense for the Cubs. I dont think he'll be the same player anymore, if he can play at all for the first half of next year, but I expect to see him on the North Side.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I think Jim Hendry already has too many health issues and won't take the "risk" of signing Magglio. Last year the Cubs were a MASH unit. I see the Cubs bringing in Jeromy Burnitez or another left-handed, power-hitting, outfielder before they bring in Maggz.

For some reason, I see Magglio with the Yankees if Beltran stays with the Astros like I hope he does. Magglio in pinstripes.... again?

Jjav829
12-29-2004, 04:40 PM
For some reason, I see Magglio with the Yankees if Beltran stays with the Astros like I hope he does. Magglio in pinstripes.... again?Why would the Yankees have any interest in Maggs? They already have their right fielder (Sheffield) and they have multiple DH candidates in place (Giambi, Williams).

Jabroni
12-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Why would the Yankees have any interest in Maggs? They already have their right fielder (Sheffield) and they have multiple DH candidates in place (Giambi, Williams).Agreed, they don't Maggs. They want Beltran for CF so they can use Bernie Williams as their DH.

Chisox003
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Ive heard rumors about this for awhile but I just read at Yahoo that Mags is of course interested, but now the Cubs are also interested in signing him....Magglio will sign anywhere that gives him the money he wants, but what better way to get back at the Sox then to sign with.....I cant even say it....If they are out of the Beltran derby (since they cant move Sosa) Im almost certain Mags will be a northsider next year...Yikes :kukoo:

Shingotime!!
12-29-2004, 05:42 PM
I'd put money on him being a oriole or a met

Chisox003
12-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I'd put money on him being a oriole or a met
I hope so...

MeanFish
12-29-2004, 06:42 PM
What would be really funny would be if the Orioles played Boras AND Hendry, and somehow wound up with Sosa and Ordonez, both of whom have been in Baltimore's sights. Realistic? Hardly. But definitely interesting.

doublem23
12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
What would be really funny would be if the Orioles played Boras AND Hendry, and somehow wound up with Sosa and Ordonez, both of whom have been in Baltimore's sights. Realistic? Hardly. But definitely interesting.Then they'd better equip their center field with a rocket pack else that would be the worst defensive outfield ever.

Viva Medias B's
12-29-2004, 10:46 PM
I think Fredo will sign with the Orioles. Peter Angelos signs players no matter how banged up they are.

Clement's beard
12-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Looks like the Cubs will either get Beltran or Maggs. Here is a portion of the latest from the Tribune:

Conventional wisdom suggests the Cubs have fallen out of the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes because of their inability to find a taker for Sammy Sosa and clear some salary space.

But with the clock ticking down to the start of 2005, Beltran's agent said the Cubs still are players for Beltran's services and Sosa's fate is irrelevant.

"I don't know why people are writing the Cubs aren't in it because they have to trade Sammy Sosa first," Scott Boras said. "We're only talking about one more year [on Sosa's contract]. Who in their right mind would think you could not accommodate signing Carlos Beltran because of that?"

If the Cubs really want Beltran, they may have no choice but to pay him and Sosa in 2005. An unnamed Orioles official told the Baltimore Sun the team is not pursuing Sosa, while the New York Mets have turned their attention toward Beltran and first baseman Carlos Delgado.

Trading Sosa may be a bigger longshot at this point than signing Beltran, though both scenarios still are possible. As for Beltran and Sosa playing in the same Cubs outfield this year, Beltran likely would have to accept a relatively modest base salary in '05, which a signing bonus could offset.

The Cubs don't want to reach the luxury-tax threshold and also aren't willing to go more than six years on Beltran, who is expected to get in the vicinity of $14 million-to-$16 million per year. Boras said no signing is "imminent," which leaves the Yankees, Astros, Mets and Cubs as Beltran's likely destinations.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, en route to a family get-together, declined to discuss specifics of talks regarding Beltran, other than to say the Cubs still are "interested." Hendry hasn't had a face-to-face meeting with Beltran and Boras, as the Astros and Yankees have done, and as the Mets reportedly intend to do soon.

Houston is the only team with an approaching deadline because Beltran no longer can negotiate with the Astros after Jan. 8 because he declined arbitration.

Boras insisted nothing should be read into the fact that the Cubs aren't making plans to meet with him and Beltran together. He said he respects the Cubs ability to "fly below the radar" and pointed out the Cubs didn't show interest in Greg Maddux until around this time last year. Hendry didn't meet with Maddux face-to-face until a week before spring training and signed him on the day before pitchers and catchers reported.

"Jim and I have met five times between [the general managers' meetings] and the winter meetings," Boras said. "Too many face-to-face meetings can wreck a deal. We're in frequent communication and will continue to talk on a number of my players."

The Cubs also are interested in ex-White Sox outfielder Magglio Ordonez, who apparently is willing to sign a one-year deal with incentives to prove he's healthy. Ordonez told the Tribune last month the Cubs "would be a good place for me," and the Cubs think he would be a good fit in the clubhouse and would be motivated to prove the Sox wrong for failing to keep him.

If Beltran signs with either Houston or the Yankees, Ordonez, another Boras client, could fall to the Cubs, whether Sosa is on the roster or not.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2004, 02:30 AM
That's Boras making crap up so that when he tells Steinbrener "The Cubs are offering Beltran 7 years"; or he tells the Astros "The Cubs AND Yankees are both going to $18 mill per"; he can look credible.

This is the same guy that would say "I have 35 teams interested in my client".

I've defended him before but he can really piss me off at times.

As for the Cubs paying Sosa AND Beltran in 2005; GOOD LUCK.

Beltran = ASTRO.

gosox41
12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
I'd hate to see Magglio with the Cubs but read the same thing in today's Trib. I tihnk it's a very real possibility for them.

Best case scenario for Sox fans is Beltran signs with the Astros and Steinbrenner or the Mets go hard after Magglio. Personally, I hope he goes to the NL so I don't have the urge to boo him at the Cell as much.

Bob

gosox41
12-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Why would the Yankees have any interest in Maggs? They already have their right fielder (Sheffield) and they have multiple DH candidates in place (Giambi, Williams).
I thought Steinbrenner fell in love with him last April. I can see the Yankees doing it especially if Magglio isn't 100% yet. They can get him cheap for 2006. If they do void Giambi's contract then they automatically have an opening.

Bob

mikesouthside
12-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Does anyone really think that a NL team is going to dump money into Magg's? If his knee is still an issue why not start him off as a DH? I just don't get it. Magg's might be cocky but I don't think he's stupid. Going to the Cubs would spark alot of self inflicked ribbing and harassment. He will follow the money and I'm sure the Cubs won't open up the checkbook on another "gamble". I could be wrong, what the hell do I know...In my sick and twisted world I have the Sox winning the division every damn year and that never happens either. SAD. :cleo I tink Magglio go to Baltimore..ya. Call me now, I'll let you know. Onlee 5.99 a minute for all my juicy news.