PDA

View Full Version : Former Sox Update; Reed to start in '05

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
From SI.com, former White Sox top prospect Jeremy Reed is already being named a starting outfielder for the Seattle Mariners in 2005.

Mariners GM Bill Bavasi said that in order to step into the bidding for a highly paid starter, he might have to move payroll. With rookie Jeremy Reed penciled in as an outfield starter, Randy Winn could be expendable and his $4 million salary put toward pitching. Bavasi said last week he won't move Winn "unless there's a heck of a deal."
-- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

doublem23
12-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Those are some pretty bold predictions. 3.17 ERA? Pitching home games at Coors Central? 97 RBI for Rowand? .274 for Crede?

soxfan26
12-29-2004, 02:23 PM
A similar story (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sea/news/sea_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925265&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp) on MLB.com says Reed may start in CF, but says Winn will shift to LF moving Ibanez to DH.Following the recent press conference introducing Beltre to the Seattle media, general manager Bill Bavasi suggested that Winn would return to left field next season, Reed would play center field and Raul Ibanez would switch from left field to designated hitter.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2004, 02:24 PM
From SI.com, former White Sox top prospect Jeremy Reed is already being named a starting outfielder for the Seattle Mariners in 2005.Gosh, I hope someone here will take it upon themselves to track Reed's stats and rub them in our faces.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Those are some pretty bold predictions. 3.17 ERA? Pitching home games at Coors Central? 97 RBI for Rowand? .274 for Crede?
Let a kid dream, won't ya? :smile:
Buehrle has flirted with an ERA under 3.20 a couple of times. He can win 20 games if the offense doesn't go into month long slumps.
Rowand batting 2nd (and probably 3rd until Thomas gets back) all season long behind Podsednik, and just playing a full season, will allow him to prove just how good he can be. If Ray Durham can drive in 75 as the leadoff man, 97 RBIs ain't so bad for a # 2.
As far as Crede goes... wishful thinking. He needs to get his act together and he needs to toughen up. I hope something changes and he turns into the hitter we were all hearing about.

Hangar18
12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
I have a feeling hes going to be special for the Mariners. Ironic since
weve needed Pitching since 2001, and our RF became expensive, we end
up Trading Reed to acquire the Pitching we ignored, and had to spend
to acquire Jermaine Dye. The baseball gods are laughing now .......
as are the Fiscal Gods ....... Id love to have Jeremy Reed in RF/CF instead
of Jermaine Dye

GAsoxfan
12-29-2004, 02:33 PM
of Jermaine Dye
I'd rather have Dye/Garcia than Reed/decent #3 pitcher making $8M (i.e. clement)

kittle42
12-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Gosh, I hope someone here will take it upon themselves to track Reed's stats and rub them in our faces.
Who would be so ridiculous as to do that?

Brian26
12-29-2004, 02:37 PM
LOL. I guess being optimistic is better than the usual pessimistic attitude that permeates around here (myself included). I can't decide which of those three is most impossible :D: The .274 for Crede will happen when hell freezes over, I can tell you that.

fquaye149
12-29-2004, 03:05 PM
LOL. I guess being optimistic is better than the usual pessimistic attitude that permeates around here (myself included). I can't decide which of those three is most impossible :D: The .274 for Crede will happen when hell freezes over, I can tell you that.
that doesn't bode well for hell. I'd give crede a 5% chance of touching .274. What are the current odds on hell freezing over?

RKMeibalane
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
What are the current odds on hell freezing over?
Approximately 7.2% as of this morning.

RKMeibalane
12-29-2004, 03:24 PM
The .274 for Crede will happen when hell freezes over, I can tell you that.
I think he meant to type .247 instead. There are too many questions about the Sox offense right now to have any idea how players will perform. We still don't know when Frank will be back, nor do we know which Konerko is going to show up. And then, of course, there's Everett. What kind of shape will he be in when ST starts?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Crede won't hit over .270, but if he does, we need to come back to this thread in 9 months.

jake27
12-29-2004, 05:32 PM
I think hell will freeze over when a team being down 0-3 in a best of 7 series comes back a wins. Huh? Wait? It already happened?!? :cool:

WinningUgly!
12-30-2004, 01:47 AM
that doesn't bode well for hell. I'd give crede a 5% chance of touching .274. What are the current odds on hell freezing over?

:bandance:http://www.gdnctr.com/hell_freezes.jpg:bandance:

Foulke You
12-30-2004, 02:19 AM
I'd rather have Dye/Garcia than Reed/decent #3 pitcher making $8M (i.e. clement)
I agree. Sorry Hangar, but what exactly has Reed done on the MLB level to gain such faith that he will be a star? Freddy Garcia is a huge cog in the White Sox rotation for the next 3 years, and I'll bet my next paycheck that barring injuries, Dye has more RBIs in 2005 than Reed will get in the next 2 years. It was a good trade for the Sox even if Reed ends up being a solid player. We have our stud pitcher and we have our outfielder. All is right with the world...if only we could get a good second baseman...:cool:

JKryl
12-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Hell freezing over? How close are the Scrubs to winning it all?

TDog
12-30-2004, 11:34 AM
If Reed were starting in right for the Sox, he would be considered a question mark in these parts. Even if he does have Buddy Bradford or Nyls Nyman tools.

Hangar18
12-30-2004, 11:46 AM
I agree. Sorry Hangar, but what exactly has Reed done on the MLB level to gain such faith that he will be a star? Freddy Garcia is a huge cog in the White Sox rotation for the next 3 years, and I'll bet my next paycheck that barring injuries, Dye has more RBIs in 2005 than Reed will get in the next 2 years. It was a good trade for the Sox even if Reed ends up being a solid player. We have our stud pitcher and we have our outfielder. All is right with the world...if only we could get a good second baseman...:cool:

I hope so ...........

Gammons Peter
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
From Rotoworld

No final decision will be made until March, but Mariners manager Mike Hargrove is leaning toward using Jeremy Reed as his primary center fielder.
"(Reed) doesn't have to go out and have a great spring to win it," Hargrove said. "But it will make it tougher on me and on him and on everybody if he goes out and has a bad spring." If Reed starts, Randy Winn would play left field and Raul Ibanez would act as the DH. The Mariners could put Winn and Ibanez back at last year's positions against lefties and use Bucky Jacobsen as the DH. Jan. 12 - 4:20 am et

Should be interesting to see how he does this year. Are you rooting for him or against?

MUsoxfan
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Old news. I'll neither cheer or boo him.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
December Reed Thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43444&highlight=jeremy+reed)

34 Inch Stick
01-12-2005, 05:51 PM
I have no feeling for him either way. I do not want anyone to fail as long as success is not in conflict with White Sox success.

Frater Perdurabo
01-13-2005, 09:33 AM
of Jermaine Dye

While on one level I too miss Reed (or at least the idea of the "projected" Reed) batting second in the Sox order, you do realize that if the Garcia trade had NOT been made, all things being equal, the 2005 starting outfield would be Reed, Podsednik and Rowand? And Clement or Odalis Perez likely would be in the rotation instead of Garcia.

Frater Perdurabo
01-13-2005, 09:35 AM
It's too bad Kenny wasn't smart enough to convince the Mariners to take Borchard instead of Reed.

munchman33
01-13-2005, 09:37 AM
of Jermaine Dye
Yeah, but getting a guy like Garcia in free agency would cost at least 3-4 times what Dye cost us.

JRIG
01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
It's too bad Kenny wasn't smart enough to convince the Mariners to take Borchard instead of Reed.
Don't you remember what KW said? Borchard is an untouchable!

He just needs one more year of seasoning in AAA.

Frater Perdurabo
01-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Don't you remember what KW said? Borchard is an untouchable!

Yeah, I remember. :angry:

Brian26
01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Approximately 7.2% as of this morning.
Hahaha. :D:

DaleJRFan
01-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Gosh, I hope someone here will take it upon themselves to track Reed's stats and rub them in our faces.
I am really looking forward to keeping track of Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson's stats when they hit the bigs in 06/07 after the Sox decline arbitration to Dye and Pods. The Sox have a ton of minor league OF talent. Reid was expendable.

Dadawg_77
01-13-2005, 01:24 PM
While on one level I too miss Reed (or at least the idea of the "projected" Reed) batting second in the Sox order, you do realize that if the Garcia trade had NOT been made, all things being equal, the 2005 starting outfield would be Reed, Podsednik and Rowand? And Clement or Odalis Perez likely would be in the rotation instead of Garcia.
I am not sure Lee is dealt if Garcia isn't here and Reed is or Lee wouldn't have been traded for Podsednik. For the sake of argument, I rather have Perez then Garcia and Clement = Garcia. And I still think the Sox would have signed Dye from the money Mags leaving freed up.