PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti Fired by WMVP

jlim
12-28-2004, 10:40 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-041228espn,1,5230038.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

He Gone.

Blueprint1
12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-041228espn,1,5230038.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

He Gone.
DARN I WAS GOING TO POST THE SAME THING

gf2020
Well, don't let the fact that he was never actually king of all chicago media get in the way of a good subject line:

"He gone!"...

From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-041228espn,1,5230038.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Long story short. King of the douches Jay Mariotti is getting fired from ESPN1000.

I especially like this quote:

Told Tuesday that Mariotti was off the air in Chicago, Harrelson couldn't hide his glee.

"I'm happy for the fans," Harrelson said, "because he's a vicious guy.

"I said he wouldn't have that [radio] job long and I don't think he'll be a columnist much longer. He never lets the truth get in the way of a story. The city will be a lot better off without him."

doublem23
:whiner:

:rolleyes: It was only a matter of time.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2004, 10:42 PM
YES!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Quick! Can we get him fired from the Sun-Times, too?

:windsock:
"You bastards! I thought WSI loved me!"

beckett21
12-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Interesting.

I'd be curious to hear Grobber's take on this.

Oh, and :supernana:

doublem23
12-28-2004, 10:44 PM
"I thought it was important that listeners get an even assessment of every team in town. I have to call it like I see it."
I'm sure he gets a good view of everything, too, with his lips pressed firmly against Sammy Sosa's ass.

God damn, he makes it sound like he's a martyr. What an egotistical maniac.

batmanZoSo
12-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Well, don't let the fact that he was never actually king of all chicago media get in the way of a good subject line:

"He gone!"...

From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-041228espn,1,5230038.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Long story short. King of the douches Jay Mariotti is getting fired from ESPN1000.

Told Tuesday that Mariotti was off the air in Chicago, Harrelson couldn't hide his glee.

"I said he wouldn't have that [radio] job long and I don't think he'll be a columnist much longer. He never lets the truth get in the way of a story. The city will be a lot better off without him."
This doesn't mean much unless he loses the column job like Harrelson's "predicting." Right now we're just back to where we always were. The column reaches a lot more people anyway. And it carries more water. Well, as any column does over radio blab anyway.

Erik The Red
It's a Festivus miracle!

SoxFan76
Farewell Mariotti. See ya Around..............the HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN!!!

RKMeibalane
12-28-2004, 10:48 PM
:hurt

"Finally!"

munchman33
12-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Oh, sweet justice!

Did they say who's gonna do mornings now?

SoxFan76
12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh, sweet justice!

Did they say who's gonna do mornings now?Does it really matter?

Erik The Red
12-28-2004, 10:51 PM
So this is why Silvy and Carmen were doing the show this morning. They better let at least Silvy hang on to this time slot. If they decide to air "The Herd" from 9:00 to noon, I'm gonna

:chunks

santo=dorf
12-28-2004, 10:51 PM
DARN I WAS GOING TO POST THE SAME THING
I was the only one who followed directions by posting it in the Roadhouse. :D:

:moron

"White Sox fans love me! They have 3 different threads in 3 different forums concerned about my job security."

:reinsy

"You're not fooling anyone pissant."

munchman33
12-28-2004, 10:53 PM
:threadrules:

I think this thread will get a record number of these.

santo=dorf
12-28-2004, 10:54 PM
from the Cubune article

:hawk
"I'm happy for the fans,because he's a vicious guy. I said he wouldn't have that [radio] job long and I don't think he'll be a columnist much longer. He never lets the truth get in the way of a story. The city will be a lot better off without him."

:worship: Hawk

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Is it even possible to have too many threads discussing Jay Mariotti getting fired?

Hell, I'm going to ask West to open up 3 or 4 more message boards just so we can have 3 or 4 more threads about it.
:thumbsup:

"You bastards! My objectivity was too great to let me keep my job! For example, when I called all of you 'smut Sox' fans..."

indysoxfan
12-28-2004, 10:55 PM
hit the road jack, and don't you come back, no more, no more, no more, no more:smile:

santo=dorf
12-28-2004, 11:03 PM
On a side note, if you click for the shop for White Sox gear link, you can get an authentic fitted hat for $9.99!

http://shop.chicagosports.com/store/sell?category=14317%2C541%2C4985&partno=MLB-NEWERA5950-007

Kogs35
12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
5 months too late but

http://re2.mm-b.yimg.com/image/755906455

"whoo hooooooooo"
http://re2.mm-a.yimg.com/image/300665128

"HA HA!!"

doublem23
12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Yeah, but this has nothing to do with anything that blew out of the Windsock, except for some crappy, macho, chest-thumping attempts from the idiot to save face.

Jjav829
12-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Good riddance. Maybe they'll find a capable host now. I wouldn't mind if they re-united Carmen and Silvy on a permanent basis.

Jabroni
12-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Oh, happy day!!! :supernana:

I'm going to miss him.

Daver
12-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Grobstien and Silverman?

lths06
12-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Best off-season move yet!!!:smile:

NonetheLoaiza
12-28-2004, 11:19 PM
finally...hopefully he loses the "column" he has with the sun times. the guy disgusts me. him and his neatly plucked eyebrows.

Jabroni
So...

Is Mariotti still the King of Chicago media?

cubhater
HEY HEY! GOOD BYE!:bandance:

tsamdog
12-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Well, at least he still has his Eddie Munster gig on Nick at Nite.......

voodoochile
12-28-2004, 11:23 PM
hit the road jack, and don't you come back, no more, no more, no more, no more:smile:Shouldn't that be...

Na Na Na Na
Na na na na
Hey Hey Hey
Good-Bye...

Hey Jay... Bite me, loser...

Is it too soon to dance? :supernana:

How about a drink first? :gulp:

Oh one more time...

Na Na Na Na
Na na na na
Hey Hey Hey
Buh-Bye...

I'm sorry, Jay. What part did you not understand was it the Buh?

Or was it the BYEIIIIIII?!??!

You suck and now you gone...:)

Jabroni
12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
I wonder if he will write in his column for the Sun Times that WSI mourned his loss from WMVP. :rolleyes: Remember when he said WSI posters agreed with his rips on the White Sox a few weeks ago? What a gas-bag.

MRKARNO
12-28-2004, 11:29 PM

"These Reinsdorfian schemes to get me out of the media are bound to fail. Now I'm going to go write another anti-Reinsdorf column"

"Good riddance! Even those rabid fans at WSI agree with me....for once"

soxnut
12-28-2004, 11:31 PM
It's about time! And now, finally there will be a sportsblab show worth listening to in that timeslot. I can't stand the idiots on the other station, and I mostly listed to JM's show when he wasn't on. It was so much more enjoyable.

He talks about integrity and all and treating each team the same, but could anyone imagine him on Cubba-U-G-N Radio and get away with slamming the Cubs, the same way he would slam the Sox on MVP?:rolleyes:

Foulke You
12-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Thank God that arrogant waste of space is off the air waves. I loved that "journalistic integrity" crap he was spewing. As the Hawkeroo said, he never let truth or facts get in the way of a story. So long, Jay. We "Smut Sox" fans will celebrate your firing. :gulp:

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Sports radio still sucks(except for the sox pre and post game shows on ESPN 1000 with Dave Wills) but I'm glad moron is off the air waves! :smile:

Whitesox029
12-28-2004, 11:50 PM

"I said he wouldn't have that [radio] job long and I don't think he'll be a columnist much longer. He never lets the truth get in the way of a story. The city will be a lot better off without him." On the downside, I loved hearing Hawk include him in picks-to-click and giving him on-air names like "Spinmaster" and "master of the BS."
Don't let the magic end, Hawk.

duke of dorwood
12-28-2004, 11:50 PM

WMVP Positive Note OF THE DAY

FightingBillini
12-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Though he lost his job, he is sitting at home, reading this thread, and smiling. This is only fuel for him. I can see him on Around the Horn tomorrow:
"The White Sox fans at WSI are obsessed with me. To them I am "Osama Sox-Laden". They hate me because I tell the truth. They would much rather spend time at their ballmall and eat the lies of the sinister Reinsdorf than believe the truth. They couldn't accept that they are horrible fans with a horrible ballpark with ugly blue seats, a huge and steep upper deck, and no character. I mean, they don't even realize they should fear for their lives going to a game there. It's a ballmall, so unlike the shrine. It lacks all the pure things in baseball, like bars outside, people pissing in the sinks, and spending $50 on luke warm Old Styles. It a crime-ridden hell hole. I mean, I went to a game recently and there were colored people there!! I quickly tossed them my wallet and ran away. You know, I have to provide for my family. I walked through the parking lots and there was broken glass everywhere. I felt like at that moment I would die at the hands of all these ignorant Sox fans who don't realize that if only Reinsdorf would have built the park in the south loop, and made it an exact replica of Wrigley Field, they would be smarter, make more money, lead better lives, attend more games a year, and see a winning team. It's because they buy into Reinsdorf's plan that they don't have a winning team. They go to games, drink all night, and then attack umpires. Maybe they wouldn't have to drink so much if they didn't have to watch a game at the worst ballpark in the history of baseball.They don't realize I am the good guy here. I am trying to help them."

DaleJRFan
12-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Good riddance. Maybe they'll find a capable host now. I wouldn't mind if they re-united Carmen and Silvy on a permanent basis.
Carmen rocks, Silvy SUCKS! I don't know how anyone can tollerate the sound of his voice and his overt cublove. Are they giving it back to Cornheiser? God, say it ain't so, anyone but Cornheiser.... Did he ever actually discuss sports on his show???

Does anyone know the reason they s***canned JM???? Was there a specific reason, or just because he is a bloated windbag who loves the sound of his own voice???

DaleJRFan
12-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Sports radio still sucks(except for the sox pre and post game shows on ESPN 1000 with Dave Wills) but I'm glad moron is off the air waves! :smile:
Give the spot to Willsie. Can we form a petition? :D:

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Carmen rocks, Silvy SUCKS! I don't know how anyone can tollerate the sound of his voice and his overt cublove. Are they giving it back to Cornheiser? God, say it ain't so, anyone but Cornheiser.... Did he ever actually discuss sports on his show???

Does anyone know the reason they s***canned JM???? Was there a specific reason, or just because he is a bloated windbag who loves the sound of his own voice???here

A source said Mariotti received a written edict last month ordering him to ease up on the Bulls and Sox. Station executives followed that up with oral reminders. Both sides finally had enough.
"We agreed that if I wouldn't agree to their editorial conditions, then I should leave," Mariotti said Tuesday.
"I'm not going to compromise my integrity to do favors on the air for the White Sox and the Bulls. When they ask me to treat two teams differently than the others, that's a red flag for me, and it has been happening quite a bit over the last few months."

With the station's Sox deal expiring after the 2005 season and its Bulls deal ending after the 2005-06 campaign, negotiations had reached a critical point. The station apparently felt it had to appease Reinsdorf

DaleJRFan
12-29-2004, 12:14 AM
evidentally, I cannot read! :?:

Thanks....

NonetheLoaiza
12-29-2004, 12:41 AM

Does anyone know the reason they s***canned JM???? Was there a specific reason, or just because he is a bloated windbag who loves the sound of his own voice???
Kornheiser was too busy, so I believe he stopped doing his show altogether. To tell you the truth, I liked his show in the morning. At least Kornheiser was a respectable journalist. Good riddance to the Moron. I'm glad I only spent about 5 minutes one morning listening to his show. He said something about the Sox that was baseless and completely absurd. I never turned that show on again...

MUsoxfan
12-29-2004, 12:43 AM
Kornheiser was too busy, so I believe he stopped doing his show altogether. To tell you the truth, I liked his show in the morning. At least Kornheiser was a respectable journalist. Good riddance to the Moron. I'm glad I only spent about 5 minutes one morning listening to his show. He said something about the Sox that was baseless and completely absurd. I never turned that show on again...

Actually I think he may still do that show. I'm pretty sure that WMVP wanted more of a local taste to it's shows since MJH were the only main local show. I won't miss the Moron. It's only Stern for me in the morning anyway

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Actually I think he may still do that show. I'm pretty sure that WMVP wanted more of a local taste to it's shows since MJH were the only main local show. I won't miss the Moron. It's only Stern for me in the morning anyway
kornhiser left cause he had his local show in d.c, pti, and he was creating his own tv show which is listen up thats why he left espn radio. when he wants to come back to national radio he will

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 12:51 AM
and HA HA! to mvp on spending money on the mariotti billboard. nice way of wasting money bwawawaawwa

owensmouth
12-29-2004, 01:00 AM
One thing it does show: ESPN wants very much to hold onto the White Sox/Bulls broadcasts.

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 01:09 AM
I wonder if he will write in his column for the Sun Times that WSI mourned his loss from WMVP. :rolleyes: Remember when he said WSI posters agreed with his rips on the White Sox a few weeks ago? What a gas-bag.
You misspelled douche.

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Interestingly enough last week Dan McNeil tore into Moronotti for not being a "team player," commenting on his ditching the last hour of his radio show on a regular basis. I found that odd because the last time he spoke out against the Moronic One, he was told by station management to lay off and also to not take any calls about him. Maybe McNeil knew something.

kaufsox
12-29-2004, 01:40 AM
eh, what can I say, I listened to the show quite a bit. All totaled I won a pair of Sox tickets, pair of Rush Tickets, and a Replica jersey from Triple Threat. I have to admit, if I was doing a show and someone asked me to lay off a particular team, I wouldn't be that comfortable, even if they were on the same station. Even so, I wrote quite a few e-mails to Mariotti and never got a response. I wrote once to Silverman, and got a response that same day. Maybe if JM treated his listeners better this would have been a harder decision for WMVP. I don't think there will be any protest at State and Lake tomorrow for Jay's sake. BRING BACK TONY!!! a good national show is so much more interesting...

MUsoxfan
12-29-2004, 01:43 AM
eh, what can I say, I listened to the show quite a bit. All totaled I won a pair of Sox tickets, pair of Rush Tickets, and a Replica jersey from Triple Threat.

All off the Moron's show or off WMVP in general?

Mammoo
12-29-2004, 01:59 AM
...love him or hate him at least he was putting pressure on Reinsdorf. I see no good in celebrating this...:(:

Rocklive99
12-29-2004, 02:05 AM
I think Tony just started doing his local show again http://www.sportstalk980.com./lineup/tonykornheiser.html

RKMeibalane
12-29-2004, 02:17 AM
As far as I know, Mariotti will be making an appearance on Around the Horn this week. I fully expect Woody Page to make some sort of remark about this. It's his way.

BTW, for anyone who has seen the 1st and 10 segment on Cold Pizza, is it me, or is it extremely annoying to hear Skip "Clueless" Bayless call Page "Woodrow" all the time.

FarWestChicago
12-29-2004, 02:35 AM
...love him or hate him at least he was putting pressure on Reinsdorf. I see no good in celebrating this...:(:You and Lip can have a good cry together. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gif

My guys still have my back!!

Erik The Red
12-29-2004, 03:45 AM
As far as I know, Mariotti will be making an appearance on Around the Horn this week. I fully expect Woody Page to make some sort of remark about this. It's his way. I checked the listings, and Around the Horn isn't scheduled to air again until Monday, probably due to Bowl Week.

BainesHOF
12-29-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm frightened by the responses to this thread. No, I'm not a big fan of Jay's. However, so many here are missing the bigger picture. It's disturbing that what we have here is yet another example of a media corporation whoring itself at the expense of the most basic fundamental of journalism - free speech.

The airwaves belong to the people of the United States of America. That's us, folks. Stations are suppose to act in the public interest to have a license. Supporting free speech is in all of our interests. Seeing Reinsdorf pressuring a station to fire a broadcaster because he doesn't like the broadcaster's opinion is not in the public's interest. Shame on the radio station for allowing Reinsdorf to bully it.

Our society becomes more Orwellian all the time. Wake up everyone before it's too late!

JRIG
12-29-2004, 06:27 AM
I'm frightened by the responses to this thread. No, I'm not a big fan of Jay's. However, so many here are missing the bigger picture. It's disturbing that what we have here is yet another example of a media corporation whoring itself at the expense of the most basic fundamental of journalism - free speech.

The airwaves belong to the people of the United States of America. That's us, folks. Stations are suppose to act in the public interest to have a license. Supporting free speech is in all of our interests. Seeing Reinsdorf pressuring a station to fire a broadcaster because he doesn't like the broadcaster's opinion is not in the public's interest. Shame on the radio station for allowing Reinsdorf to bully it.

Our society becomes more Orwellian all the time. Wake up everyone before it's too late!Mariotti is a complete **********er. Nearly everyone he works with ends up hating him.

If you're making a case for "free speech" on the airwaves, Mariotti is the worst place to start. Besides, that's his side of the story. Station execs may have been thinking, "This guy is a total *******. He can't work with anyone, he makes our star (McNeil) mad, he makes our sponsors mad, he makes one of our biggest clients mad. Let's cut our losses."

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2004, 07:29 AM
YES,YES,YES,YEEESSSS!!!!!!
THANK YOU,SPORTS GODS!!!
:supernana: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :D: :D:

Flight #24
12-29-2004, 07:35 AM

Our society becomes more Orwellian all the time. Wake up everyone before it's too late!
There's a huge difference, IMO in having an opinion based on fats and using a public pulpit to feed your own irrational feud. Moronotti consistently twisted facts, relied on unsubstantated rumor & innuendo, and slanted pretty much everythingto make the Sox/Bulls (really - JR) look bad. A station that wants to disassociate itself from that type of behavior is actually upholding some standards of journalism.

Of course, the $$$ played into it, but I'd bet if Jay were actually evenhanded the decision would have been a lot tougher. This isn't the "Orwellian conspiracy" where only JR buttsmoochers prosper.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-29-2004, 07:38 AM

My thoughts will not be as concise, or as thought-provoking as BainesHof's, but I will try to get them down. You can't walk into a movie theater and yell fire, and yet that is what Jay did everyday. Unfortunately, media outlets such as sports radio provide a forum for people such as Marrioti, as do both Chicago dailies, ( Rosenbloom, Bayless ) for journalists to spout off opinions without thinking them through. Poor journalism gets attention, so the Baylesses, Marriotis, and others consistently get forums. In that sense we have moved into a dystopia as bad as anything Orwell imagined.
I quote Plato, "....One man has the ability to beget arts, but the ability to judge of their usefulness or harmfulness to their users belongs to another; and now you, who are the father of letters, have been led by your affection to ascribe to them a power the opposite of that which they really possess. For this invention will produce forgetfulness in the minds of those who learn to use it, because they will not practice their memory. Their trust in writing, , produced by external characters which are no part of themselves, will discourage the use of their own memory within them. You have invented an elixir not of memory but of reminding; you offer your pupils the appearance of of wisdom, not true wisdom, for they will read many things without instruction, and will therefore seem to know many things, when they are for the most part ignorant and hard to get along with, since they are not wise, but only appear wise. "

Hank Kimball
12-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Here's my take.

Well, not my take, maybe just my opinion.

It seems that Jay is trying to pattern himself after Lincicome and Rome. The problem with this is, Lincicome may not have tact, but he does have brains. Mariotti has neither. Jim Rome is a road apple, and I can't fathom a reason... the best thing to ever happen to him is Jim Everret.(sp?)

I would like to see Mariotti replaced on the radio by those two mounted fish in the ESPN commercials.

As far as "The Hawkeroo", didn't he try to get Carlton Fisk to play left field?

LEFT FIELD??????

Tony LaRussa?

I think The Hawk should be replaced by Tom Paciorek, if nothing else, just to find out what DJ is really like.

Left field? Back in my day there used to be these things called tar and feathers and rails.

Or was it electricity...

Hank

The Critic
12-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Give the spot to Willsie. Can we form a petition? :D:
I'd never listen to Wills. He's a reverse Silverman.
That level of bias on a major-market radio station is unprofessional, IMHO, regardless of which team he's biased for or against.

DaveIsHere
12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
:threadrules:

Mammoo
12-29-2004, 08:58 AM
You and Lip can have a good cry together. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gif

My guys still have my back!!
You just don't get it; every time he ripped Reinsdorf or the team's perfromance, he was advocating on your behalf!

SSN721
12-29-2004, 09:01 AM
I think Tony just started doing his local show again http://www.sportstalk980.com./lineup/tonykornheiser.html
Thanks for posting that. I am definitely going to have to check that out this morning. I miss TK dearly, I felt his timeslot was a welcome change from the same topics M and M, DP and Dibs would talk about all day long. He did talk enough sports to keep me happy, but stil had a great skill to tell personal stories and situations and keep them very entertaining. Hopefully his show in DC focuses more on that then local sports there so I can keep listening.

Oh I almost forgot, JM is a windbag and I cant beleive people saying that shutting out JM is destorying free speech. THe guy had a public forum to slam anyone he wanted, sometimes justified sometimes not. If you cannot see the guy would ignore every fact and all truths to get whatever he needed to put JR in a bad light you either dont listen to him or read him enough to know how biased he is. I respected him taking every owner to task, but unfortunately his ego seemed to get in the way as he would always say how perfect any team would be if he was running it. After all he is the self-proclaimed King of Chicago Media, what a pompous ****ing ***hole. Good Riddance, of course he wont lose his column and I would not be suprised if he has another radio show in a month or two either. Everyone will tune in for a muckraker like him.

SoxFanTillDeath
12-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Though he lost his job, he is sitting at home, reading this thread, and smiling. This is only fuel for him. I can see him on Around the Horn tomorrow:
"The White Sox fans at WSI are obsessed with me. To them I am "Osama Sox-Laden". They hate me because I tell the truth. They would much rather spend time at their ballmall and eat the lies of the sinister Reinsdorf than believe the truth. They couldn't accept that they are horrible fans with a horrible ballpark with ugly blue seats, a huge and steep upper deck, and no character. I mean, they don't even realize they should fear for their lives going to a game there. It's a ballmall, so unlike the shrine. It lacks all the pure things in baseball, like bars outside, people pissing in the sinks, and spending $50 on luke warm Old Styles. It a crime-ridden hell hole. I mean, I went to a game recently and there were colored people there!! I quickly tossed them my wallet and ran away. You know, I have to provide for my family. I walked through the parking lots and there was broken glass everywhere. I felt like at that moment I would die at the hands of all these ignorant Sox fans who don't realize that if only Reinsdorf would have built the park in the south loop, and made it an exact replica of Wrigley Field, they would be smarter, make more money, lead better lives, attend more games a year, and see a winning team. It's because they buy into Reinsdorf's plan that they don't have a winning team. They go to games, drink all night, and then attack umpires. Maybe they wouldn't have to drink so much if they didn't have to watch a game at the worst ballpark in the history of baseball.They don't realize I am the good guy here. I am trying to help them."

So so true. Sadly I could hear his voice when I read all of this. I listen to his show every so often, and there was not a single time that I listened that he was not ripping the sox. Don't give me this journalistic integrity crap. I have never known someone to have a higher opinion of himself than this bumbling idiot.

Secondly, I think Silvy should be scolded publicly for his constant suck-up to Jay of the Radio. I used to like the Silvy & Carmen show, and was ticked when Silvy moved over to Jay's slot. Now I can't stand the guy.

Good riddance Jay. If I never again hear your name or your voice I will be the luckiest man on earth.

SSN721
12-29-2004, 09:04 AM
You just don't get it; every time he ripped Reinsdorf or the team's perfromance, he was advocating on your behalf!
Yeah along with his underhanded insults to Sox fans. And his inability to understand how a fan would support a team even when they suck because he had never really been a fan of any team himself. You cant tell me that his criticism of JR was unbiased. I am not one who worships Reisdorf, but Jay had an obvious score to settle with JR over whatever might have happened between them in the past and he used every single opportunity he could to hose on JR justified or not.

Erik The Red
12-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Jim Rome is a road apple, and I can't fathom a reason... the best thing to ever happen to him is Jim Everret.(sp?) Aren't you thinking of Roy Firestone?

Fredsox
12-29-2004, 09:10 AM

People get fired all the time for saying the wrong things. According to the article the station tried many times to coach him into making his points in a less vitriolic manner, but he refused. For him it is not about the journalistic content, it's about the controversy and the ratings. What about his responsibility to the canons of journalism? Is his employer supposed to just sit their and watch him make inflammatory statements regardless of the accuracy or context? If I made public derogatory comments about one of my company's customers in the course of my work I am certain that I would be fired immediately. We all have the right to say what we want, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for saying it.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 09:14 AM
You just don't get it; every time he ripped Reinsdorf or the team's perfromance, he was advocating on your behalf! Gee Mammoo, when he was calling me a "smut Sox fan," he was actually advocating on my behalf?
:kukoo:

This is pathetic. The only core belief Marriotti ever has is what will get the most people to pay him attention. That's why even those INSIDE Chicago's media call him...

SSN721
12-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Aren't you thinking of Roy Firestone?
Actually the Jim/Chris Everett episode is priceless, that is close to the funniest 2-3 minutes of TV ever shot.

jabrch
12-29-2004, 09:20 AM

No he was not. Not for one moment did he say ANYTHING that represented my feelings. He made his own personal agenda more important than the actual issues. He never did one ounce of research to put any facts behind his stories and he never EVER made an attempt to be evenhanded and see other sides of issues. He jumped at every tiny opportunity to insult the team, ownership, the fans, the park, the neighborhood, etc. That doesn't advocate CRAP on my behalf.

TommyJohn
12-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Quick! Can we get him fired from the Sun-Times, too?

"You bastards! I thought WSI loved me!"

Already tried that.

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2004, 09:39 AM

Our society becomes more Orwellian all the time. Wake up everyone before it's too late!I think that this is hardly any Orwellian-type conspiracy against free speech. Jay Marriotti wasn't any bastion of truth brought down by a greedy corporation who was mad that he was revealing all their deep, dark, secrets. Marriotti was feuding with Reinsdorf for a decade or so. He used his radio show, like his column, to directly and indirectly take shots at JR. There's a difference between normal criticism and what Marriotti does. Reinsdorf brings that station a lot of money. Why should he continue to do so when they broadcast a show that's so blatantly prejudiced against him? I'm no fan of JR, and I'm not defending the things he does, but I see where he's coming from on this. I'm a big supporter of free speech, but I don't like to see that argument used to defend "journalist" whose bread and butter is to make outrageous and tabloid-esque statements about whatever story he's covering.

This is no defeat for free speech. Its not like Jay Marriotti has been blacklisted from the media. He still has his column and still appears on ESPN. The fact is, many of us are now probably going to be checking out his column to see what he says about this situation, although I'm sure we can all guess what it'll be. He'll probably end up with a show on the Score now. Cockroaches like him don't go away. Being fired is like a badge of honor in radio, anyway.

Dan H
12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
If fans are happy Mariotti is gone becasue they don't like him period, I don't have any problem with that. But if he was fired only because he criticized an owner who hasn't brought a World Series to Chicago in nearly a quarter of a century, and whose basketball team looks to have its seventh straight losing season, I have a big problem with that. It just shows the media is too compromised by its connection to sports, and that it lost its independence.

The problem is that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Say what you will about him, you know where Mariotti comes from as far as Jerry Reinsdorf is concerned. As far as his replacement goes, I could care less. If the person can't speak their mind, why listen?

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 09:56 AM
The problem is that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Say what you will about him, you know where Mariotti comes from as far as Jerry Reinsdorf is concerned. As far as his replacement goes, I could care less. If the person can't speak their mind, why listen?
he was hired because a person bob synder the former gm of espn1000 was a fool and didn't know what his priorities where, so he got fired for it. Jim pastor at least knows whats more important to the station.

Rocky Soprano
12-29-2004, 10:06 AM
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. CLAP CLAP

If you're happy and you know it, and you really want to show it, if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. CLAP CLAP

Yo Moronotti, GRAB SOME BENCH! :D:

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 10:09 AM

I hate jay as well but you do bring up a good point. this isn't the first timem something like this has happened, howard stern is getting bumped to satelite and espn sold out by dumping playmakers for the NFL. I'm glad jay is off the air now but i don't really agree with the reasoning behind it

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 10:12 AM
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. CLAP CLAP

If you're happy and you know it, and you really want to show it, if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. CLAP CLAP

Yo Moronotti, GRAB SOME BENCH! :D:
i luv carmen http://news.illiniboard.com/emoticons/63032_clap.gif:D:

Brian26
12-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Carmen and Silvy are fresh and deserve the spot. I really enjoy listening to them. Hope they get it!

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2004, 10:13 AM
I've spilled a lot of ink about the Moron on WSI over the years, so it may come as a surprise to hear me say that I actually preferred the Moron's morning show over sociopolitical ignoramus Mike North's Archie Bunker-at-the-corner-bar routine. It did surprise me to hear the Moron sound actually reasonable at times, in between his usual cheap shots and jabs at the Sox.

That said, I will never forgive that POS for the stuff he wrote about the Sox when they were ruling the roost of Chicago baseball in 2000-02, at least compared to the beyond pathetic Flubs. Remember, if you will, the column he wrote after Chris Singleton came in with spikes high at Wrigley several years ago; that pretty much sums it up. Also his constant "Wrigley is cooler" lame-ass popularity begging.

Hey, Jay, tough ****, buddy. Hope that humble pie tastes mighty sweet today, you a*****e.

:gulp:

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Let's not confuse WMVP with a public forum. Everything Marriotti had to say about the Sox and Bulls was colored by his personal dislike for Reinsdorf. Reinsdorf brings a lot of money to WMVP. WMVP is corporate station. $$ is the bottomline for them. Did Marriotti ever have anything positive to say about the Sox or Bulls? Rarely. His criticisms weren't objective. Nothing Reinsdorf could do was right, no matter what it was. Marriotti is a gas bag. Its not as if he is this respected journalist bringing the truth. People are acting like Marriotti was telling the truth to everyone, when all he was doing was giving his opinion, and if his opinion is going to financially hurt the corporate radio station that is WMVP, what do you think that they are going to do? If Reinsdorf and co. were putting pressure on the Sun-Times to fire Marriotti, I'd have a problem. But if they are doing to do it to WMVP, a station that they have an investment in, then I see where they are coming from. That's business. WMVP was stupid to hire him in the first place.

Brian26
12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Interestingly enough last week Dan McNeil tore into Moronotti for not being a "team player," commenting on his ditching the last hour of his radio show on a regular basis. I found that odd because the last time he spoke out against the Moronic One, he was told by station management to lay off and also to not take any calls about him. Maybe McNeil knew something.
Very good point. I remember that last tirade from late in the summer. I think McNeil ended up getting some "vacation time" because of it. McNeil's sentiments pretty much echo the general feeling here.

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Very good point. I remember that last tirade from late in the summer. I think McNeil ended up getting some "vacation time" because of it. McNeil's sentiments pretty much echo the general feeling here.
yes mac did vacation time as well as jurko and that was the start of the downfall for mariotti

Brian26
12-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Whoaaaaa!

And there is also a MAJOR difference between "free speech" and going out of your way to manipulate facts and try to hurt the White Sox organization.

This is what is being lost on people who are trying to defend Mariotti. I don't think anyone here is opposed to constructive criticism when it is due, but Mariotti obviously had a personal vendetta that precluded him from saying anything complimentary or positive about the organization. A majority of the time, he would go out of his way to spin facts and manipulate views to make the White Sox look bad. To be taken seriously, one has to include the good with the bad. Anyone with a brain could see right through his crap (the personal vendetta against Reinsdorf). Not only was it getting really old to listen to (much like the whiney kid in school who never had anything good to say and would go out of his way to try to insult the kid he didn't like), but it was really bad business.

I'm glad WMVP management finally came to their senses on this matter. It was out of control.

Brian26
12-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I'd never listen to Wills. He's a reverse Silverman.
That level of bias on a major-market radio station is unprofessional, IMHO, regardless of which team he's biased for or against.
However, that level of bias is nice to some extent on the pre and post-shows. And for the record, Willsy is fair and honest in pointing out mistakes by the players and manager when they occur. Not so sure if he points out mistakes by management, but I can't say I personally think it's smart business sense to point out the mistakse of your boss in a public forum.

Hitmen77
12-29-2004, 10:27 AM

Our society becomes more Orwellian all the time. Wake up everyone before it's too late!Orwellian Society? Give me a break! You make it sound like we're sending poor Jay to prison for expressing his views! Free speech doesn't give everyone the right to a radio show where they can distort the truth and use the radio show to serve as their soapbox from which they can endlessly slam a particular person or organization to thousands of listeners.

I know it's just sports, but I think sports reporters still have a responibility to maintain a certain integrity to be truthful and not just viscous and vindictive.

Fredsox
12-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Orwellian Society? Give me a break! You make it sound like we're sending poor Jay to prison for expressing his views! Free speech doesn't give everyone the right to a radio show where they can distort the truth and use the radio show to serve as their soapbox from which they can endlessly slam a particular person or organization to thousands of listeners.

I know it's just sports, but I think sports reporters still have a responibility to maintain a certain integrity to be truthful and not just viscous and vindictive.
It's also important to recognize that he is not some sort of Beacon O' Freedom to the huddled masses. He is not bucking any system, he is exploiting it as a full participant. He just got fired for being a putz.

zach074
12-29-2004, 10:46 AM
I repected him due to his honesty, and he was better than Jim Rome.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Jay didn't report the facts, he let emotional interests get in the way of his job. If you claim to be a journalist and not a sports fan, then follow your credo.

He won't be missed, of the few times I tuned in it was a very non-interactive show with the fans - little e-mail, faxes and phone calls. The daily segments were not good and most importantly it seemed as though he didn't enjoy the job. Hearing guys like Mac, Jurko and Harry, B&B, North; like 'em or hate 'em, they all know how lucky they are to have jobs like they do....

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I repected him due to his honesty, and he was better than Jim Rome.
Local show does not equal better show.

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2004, 11:03 AM
I repected him due to his honesty, and he was better than Jim Rome. What is your take on the Moron's inability to see beyond his ingrained biases against certain people in the Sox organization, and his constant bandwagon-jumping windsockitude?

SteveSax'sSocks
12-29-2004, 11:06 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:MYg0isGBlkMJ:www.whtk.com/timages/page/jim_rome_photo_sm.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.whtk.com/timages/page/jim_rome_photo_sm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.whtk.com/rome.html&h=178&w=152&sz=20&tbnid=MYg0isGBlkMJ:&tbnh=94&tbnw=81&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djim%2Brome%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D) "You mean there is an open time-slot? Phenomenal! That's just sick clones. Ridiculous!"

Mammoo
12-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Gee Mammoo, when he was calling me a "smut Sox fan," he was actually advocating on my behalf?

This is pathetic. The only core belief Marriotti ever has is what will get the most people to pay him attention. That's why even those INSIDE Chicago's media call him...

All that talk about Sox fans, the neighborhood and the park is meaningless. Since when are Sox fans so thinskinned???

It's about the franchise and it's pathetic showing over the years. I want someone in the press whio puts the pressure on where performance is concerned.

....or do you depend on Reinsdorf's cabana boy, Ken Harrellson to tell you the truth???:bs:

SteveSax'sSocks
12-29-2004, 11:15 AM
http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0912/1665544_200X150.jpg"Why are listeners ignoring me? Do I really deserve the Code Sho-der?

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 11:16 AM
I have a feeling that the cancellation of Mariotti's show has a lot to do with ratings. I haven't been able to find the Autumn 2004 Arbitron ratings for his show, but I do seem to recall that they were the lowest or next to lowest for the station in spring or summer. The Sox get higher ratings than Mariotti, and the station's current management knows it.

Mariotti got axed for the same reason Howard Beal was killed.

danimal81
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0912/1665544_200X150.jpg"Why are listeners ignoring me? Do I really deserve the Code Sho-der?

Is that really necessary? Are you ho-ding me accountable?

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
I have a feeling that the cancellation of Mariotti's show has a lot to do with ratings. I haven't been able to find the Autumn 2004 Arbitron ratings for his show, but I do seem to recall that they were the lowest or next to lowest for the station in spring or summer. The Sox get higher ratings than Mariotti, and the station's current management knows it.

Mariotti got axed for the same reason Howard Beal was killed.
Not to mention the new station management wasn't as supportive of the Mariotti-movement as the previous administration.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 11:20 AM
This was brought up in the Roadhouse, but I'll mention it here, too:

Who would you like to see in that timeslot?

Silvy & Carmen? An ex-jock tandem like a Raymont Harris or Big Cat Williams?

Thoughts?

Nick@Nite
12-29-2004, 11:21 AM
:tomatoaward

jabrch
12-29-2004, 11:21 AM
All that talk about Sox fans, the neighborhood and the park is meaningless. Since when are Sox fans so thinskinned???

It's about the franchise and it's pathetic showing over the years. I want someone in the press whio puts the pressure on where performance is concerned.

....or do you depend on Reinsdorf's cabana boy, Ken Harrellson to tell you the truth???:bs:
So you depend on Mariotti to tell you the truth? I don't depend on either of them. I gather information and form my own opinions. But Mariotti's version of the truth was no less slanted by his own biases than Hawk's version of the truth.

Hangar18
12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Mariotti strikes me as LAZY. But man, when he DOES want to do
some work, he can be pretty good. He couldve made a Career
if he wouldve just Applied the Pressure DAILY (kind of like a certain
Mike Murphy on the score) to the White Sox and called them out.

34 Inch Stick
12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
I am torn here because I absolutely agree with what BainesHOF is saying. On the other hand we know that Mariotti was using criticism of the Bulls and Sox teams as a pretext for his personal contempt for Reinsdorf under.

The issue here is not really Mariotti, it is ESPN1000. If they fired him, as Mariotti said, because of criticism of the Bulls/Sox, I think they have damaged the credibility of all members of their local broadcasts. However we have no statements from ESPN1000 about the firing. We only have quotes from Mariotti, who as we all know, is an absolute fabricator of truth.

If ESPN came out and said they fired Jay because of unsubstantiated statements of fact and unfair treatment of the Bulls/Sox that is an acceptable reason. If they fired him because his rating did not match expectations that would also be acceptable. If they said they fired him because he even bothered talking about the Bulls/Sox when the Cubs are at the height of popularity and the Bears are in full season that is acceptable. If he was fired because he criticized teams that they hoped to retain associations with, that is a damage to credibility.

Fredsox
12-29-2004, 11:23 AM

It might be about the pathetic showing for you, or for me, or for the majority of Sox fans. That doesn't mean that Mariotti is not a putz, it doesn't mean he fought for the little guy against the big-bad corporation, it doesn't mean he did not deserve to get fired. We need to separate any dissatisfaction with Sox ownership and Marriotti's distasteful personality and obvious lack of integrity. They just aren't related.

SteveSax'sSocks
12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
http://re2.mm-b.yimg.com/image/548106940 (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062857/K=terry+boers/v=2/SID=e/l=II/R=1/SS=i/OID=f9fd2f1a826710b4/SIG=1gp4g5pop/EXP=1104423669/*-http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dterry%2Bboers%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-img-t%26fl%3D0%26x%3Dwrt&h=121&w=121&imgcurl=www.670thescore.com%2Fgraphics%2Fpic_terry _boers.jpg&imgurl=www.670thescore.com%2Fgraphics%2Fpic_terry_ boers.jpg&size=2.3kB&name=pic_terry_boers.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.670thescore.com%2Fonair%2Ft erry_boers.shtml&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.670thescore.com%2Fonair%2Fte rry_boers.shtml&p=terry+boers&type=jpeg&no=1&tt=9) Boers

and

http://images.radcity.net/5176/585640.jpgMcNeil

Now from 9 to noon!

Followed by Dan Patrick and the Jurko and Harry Show.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 11:25 AM
http://re2.mm-b.yimg.com/image/548106940 (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062857/K=terry+boers/v=2/SID=e/l=II/R=1/SS=i/OID=f9fd2f1a826710b4/SIG=1gp4g5pop/EXP=1104423669/*-http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dterry%2Bboers%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-img-t%26fl%3D0%26x%3Dwrt&h=121&w=121&imgcurl=www.670thescore.com%2Fgraphics%2Fpic_terry _boers.jpg&imgurl=www.670thescore.com%2Fgraphics%2Fpic_terry_ boers.jpg&size=2.3kB&name=pic_terry_boers.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.670thescore.com%2Fonair%2Ft erry_boers.shtml&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.670thescore.com%2Fonair%2Fte rry_boers.shtml&p=terry+boers&type=jpeg&no=1&tt=9) Boers

and

Now from 9 to noon!

Won't happen....Boers is locked up for a while and no way in hell would ESPN allow a Jurko and Harry show...they need someone to steer the ship.

danimal81
12-29-2004, 11:28 AM

and

Now from 9 to noon!

DO IT!
DO IT NOW!

danimal81
12-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Won't happen....Boers is locked up for a while and no way in hell would ESPN allow a Jurko and Harry show...they need someone to steer the ship.
I think everybody knows that, but cant a girl have a dream?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 11:30 AM

....or do you depend on Reinsdorf's cabana boy, Ken Harrellson to tell you the truth???:bs: I have no respect for Harrelson's opinion because it is only a direct reflection of what Reinsdorf is thinking. In this respect listening to Harrelson pays benefits. I get to know what JR is thinking.
:wink:

Listening to Mariotti pays NO BENEFITS except insights into the psychology of a small boy with a tiny appendage. Here's everything you need to know about Mariotti's opinion about anything and everything...

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!"

Is that clear enough for you???

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 11:33 AM
It might be about the pathetic showing for you, or for me, or for the majority of Sox fans. That doesn't mean that Mariotti is not a putz, it doesn't mean he fought for the little guy against the big-bad corporation, it doesn't mean he did not deserve to get fired. We need to separate any dissatisfaction with Sox ownership and Marriotti's distasteful personality and obvious lack of integrity. They just aren't related.
Some people just don't get it, Fred. They think Mariotti is some sort of martyr. What a joke... they don't even know the meaning of the word.

SteveSax'sSocks
12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:BPU6oZ4maTIJ:www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/1999/jerry629.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/1999/jerry629.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jun99/nba30062999.asp&h=353&w=419&sz=40&tbnid=BPU6oZ4maTIJ:&tbnh=102&tbnw=121&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djerry%2Bkrause%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D) Oh-Ho-ho-ho-oh-ho-ho! (http://home.flash.net/~bookez/krause.jpg)

"He can't talk about me on the air anymore!"

danimal81
12-29-2004, 11:37 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:BPU6oZ4maTIJ:www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/1999/jerry629.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/1999/jerry629.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jun99/nba30062999.asp&h=353&w=419&sz=40&tbnid=BPU6oZ4maTIJ:&tbnh=102&tbnw=121&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djerry%2Bkrause%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D) Oh-Ho-ho-ho-oh-ho-ho! (http://home.flash.net/~bookez/krause.jpg)

"He can't talk about me on the air anymore!"Answer that phone Crumbs..:gulp:

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM

We need a Slappy Squirrel icon for the following comment: "Now that's comedy!"

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Not to mention the new station management wasn't as supportive of the Mariotti-movement as the previous administration.
You misspelled "bowel."

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
I am torn here because I absolutely agree with what BainesHOF is saying. On the other hand we know that Mariotti was using criticism of the Bulls and Sox teams as a pretext for his personal contempt for Reinsdorf under.

The issue here is not really Mariotti, it is ESPN1000. If they fired him, as Mariotti said, because of criticism of the Bulls/Sox, I think they have damaged the credibility of all members of their local broadcasts. However we have no statements from ESPN1000 about the firing. We only have quotes from Mariotti, who as we all know, is an absolute fabricator of truth.

If ESPN came out and said they fired Jay because of unsubstantiated statements of fact and unfair treatment of the Bulls/Sox that is an acceptable reason. If they fired him because his rating did not match expectations that would also be acceptable. If they said they fired him because he even bothered talking about the Bulls/Sox when the Cubs are at the height of popularity and the Bears are in full season that is acceptable. If he was fired because he criticized teams that they hoped to retain associations with, that is a damage to credibility.
I repeat, when all is said and done, Mariotti was fired for one reason and one reason only: low ratings.

TornLabrum
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Spike Manton is available. Is the world ready for yet another version of the "Harry and Spike Show?"

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Can you imagine a Jurko and Harry show? That thing would spin out of control in a matter of days.

I can't believe people are sitting here and saying that Marriotti was some sort of truth teller or that he was putting pressure on the organization. Jay has a place to speak his diseased mind. Read the Sun-Times to catch up on Jay's version of the "truth".

How much pressure did Jay put on the organization? All he ever said was "JR = Bad." He never offered any solutions. Everything was JR's fault. Do you think Reinsdorf and co. sat there and said "Oh no, Marriotti's badmouthing us again! We've got to do something to get good press from him!" All Marriotti did was write negative articles and broadcast negative opinions. And he didn't even have the following to back him up. Do you think that WMVP would fire him if he had strong ratings? No. They were probably looking for a way to get rid of him. Marriotti will make this all Reinsdorf's fault, too. "Jerry got me fired." Boo - F'n- hoo. His column sucks and his radio show sucks. He offered nothing. Don't make him into some 1st Amendment Crusader or some benevolent friend to Sox fans, because he is neither of those.

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2004, 11:47 AM
You misspelled "bowel."
That was awesome!

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 11:52 AM
i think a jurko and harry show would be great, but eventually i think they would need someone serious to run the show. big week for espn radio, dumping mariotti and rob dibble. i just hope they dont put jim rome back in that slot, he's worse than mariotti. he has all those long pauses in his show since he does it by himself a lot, at least jay had silvy to fill in the gaps when he has his brain farts.

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 11:59 AM
i think a jurko and harry show would be great, but eventually i think they would need someone serious to run the show. big week for espn radio, dumping mariotti and rob dibble. i just hope they dont put jim rome back in that slot, he's worse than mariotti. he has all those long pauses in his show since he does it by himself a lot, at least jay had silvy to fill in the gaps when he has his brain farts.why did the heads in bristol dump dibbs?

jdm2662
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
As already mentioned, if his ratings didn't blow, he'd still be on the air. They added silverman to his show to try and make up for the show dismal ratings and content. If people actually listened or cared about him, they wouldn't try to get rid of him. The only factor in the media is ratings. Ratings=sponsers=$$$. The guy that made the hiring is no longer at the station. So, there was no reason to try and cover his ass.

As for freedom of speech, it doesn't apply with this mope. He only says things to cause stir and never uses facts to back him up. A guy like Les, while I don't always agree with what he says, I respect the hell of out him because he uses facts to back his opinion. He also won't deny if he was wrong. If he says something, he sticks to his guns. He doesn't change face when the time comes, which is what Marrioti does. It's one thing to bash an organization, but doing it because its for your own personal interest instead of using facts just doesn't work. I never turned on his show, and I will continue to ignore anything that he is involved with. I succeeded in boycott because not listening to him got him off the air. I will continue to not watch ARound the Horn or read his column. This is what you do to such scum like him. Listening to him so you can bash him is only helping him.
________
Mercedes-benz 320 history (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_320)

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been done yet but.....

"HE GONE!"

SteveSax'sSocks
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM

He Gone.
The 1st post said it man.

eshunn2001
12-29-2004, 12:11 PM
To the title of this thread, I could only say "good".

tebman
12-29-2004, 12:20 PM
People get fired all the time for saying the wrong things. According to the article the station tried many times to coach him into making his points in a less vitriolic manner, but he refused. For him it is not about the journalistic content, it's about the controversy and the ratings. What about his responsibility to the canons of journalism? Is his employer supposed to just sit their and watch him make inflammatory statements regardless of the accuracy or context? If I made public derogatory comments about one of my company's customers in the course of my work I am certain that I would be fired immediately. We all have the right to say what we want, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for saying it.It's easy to get exercised about free-speech restrictions, but that's not the case here. Mariotti still has his newspaper column, and he's free to look for a job at another radio station if one wants to hire him. He was told to lighten up by his employer, not by the government. That's the fundamental difference.

Ahem. Having said that, I say good riddance! He's a no-talent bomb-thrower whose only opinions are based on what will provoke a reaction. We've all known people like that -- the annoying kid in school who would poke, poke, poke until somebody took him down. Then the kid would wail that he'd been abused, misunderstood, a victim of mistreatment.

Mariotti did the same thing at the radio station, and the boss got tired of it. Especially when it became clear it was going to cost the station a lot of money.

- tebman

Mammoo
12-29-2004, 12:27 PM
So you depend on Mariotti to tell you the truth? I don't depend on either of them. I gather information and form my own opinions. But Mariotti's version of the truth was no less slanted by his own biases than Hawk's version of the truth.
Good point...all one has to do is look at the standings...:whiner:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 12:27 PM
It's easy to get exercised about free-speech restrictions, but that's not the case here. Mariotti still has his newspaper column, and he's free to look for a job at another radio station if one wants to hire him. He was told to lighten up by his employer, not by the government. That's the fundamental difference.

Ahem. Having said that, I say good riddance! He's a no-talent bomb-thrower whose only opinions are based on what will provoke a reaction. We've all known people like that -- the annoying kid in school who would poke, poke, poke until somebody took him down. Then the kid would wail that he'd been abused, misunderstood, a victim of mistreatment.

Mariotti did the same thing at the radio station, and the boss got tired of it. Especially when it became clear it was going to cost the station a lot of money.

- tebman
A good post, tebman. Jay Mariotti's Constitutional rights are preserved. He has no right to say what he wants into the microphone at WMVP. He keeps his right to right say what he wants on the street corner. The Bill of Rights guarantees it.

Personally, I look forward to the day when the only forum Jay Mariotti has for his baiting and trolling is the local street corner. I guarantee he gets punched in the mouth before he completes his "first shift."

Hey Scum-Times editors, are you listening?
:cool:

"I'm done embarrassing Chicago over the airwaves. I'm now limiting myself to the sports pages of the Sun-Times."

doublem23
12-29-2004, 12:30 PM
"I'm done embarrassing Chicago over the airwaves. I'm now limiting myself to the sports pages of the Sun-Times."Well, I think he's still on ESPN with the rest of the garbage columnists they show.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Well, I think he's still on ESPN with the rest of the garbage columnists theys show. Yes, Jay is truly in his element trading nonsense with those other pillars of the sports journalism profession.

ESPN must think the low-IQ shlock served up by Fox Sports is a threat to their sports empire. They ought to know better.

ode to veeck
12-29-2004, 01:06 PM
I repeat, when all is said and done, Mariotti was fired for one reason and one reason only: low ratings.Finally, a sign of intelligence appears across all flavors of Chicago sports fans.

After Jay gets fired from his Scrub-Times day job, wouldn't it fun to watch the single episode as the windsock gets killed off by fellow sports fans on his very own Survivor series?

gosox41
12-29-2004, 01:10 PM
If fans are happy Mariotti is gone becasue they don't like him period, I don't have any problem with that. But if he was fired only because he criticized an owner who hasn't brought a World Series to Chicago in nearly a quarter of a century, and whose basketball team looks to have its seventh straight losing season, I have a big problem with that. It just shows the media is too compromised by its connection to sports, and that it lost its independence.

People hate Jay because he had a personal vandetta against the White Sox/Bulls and any party related to them. It comes down to the fact that he has it in for JR.

He spent a lot more time criticizing a team that hasn't gone to a World Series but there is a second team in this town that deserves equal criticism that never got it. Also, Jay didn't bother to let the facts interfere with any of his stories. How many negative articles can this guy write about Frank (remember the steroid thing) but continue kissing Sammy's butt?

Jay did more then tell it like it is. He let his own personal feelings get in the way.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Who else remembers Jay mentioning WSI a few weeks ago? I wonder if Jay claiming he was popular around here wasn't in fact the first big tipoff that he knew he was in trouble at the station?

If it was strictly low ratings that sank his show, why would Jay blame censorship for his dismissal? Is this just a lame attempt to save face?

And why choose Reinsdorf as the scapegoat? If Mariotti was truly "popular" with the fans for taking on Reinsdorf, wouldn't WSI have been the perfect place for the Moron to prove his point to station management? Believe me -- I was as shocked as anyone to find out he mentioned WSI on the air.

Of course Mariotti was blowing smoke to suggest he was popular here. It ought to be quite obvious after over 130 posts the overwhelmingly negative opinion of Jay Mariotti most WSI posters have.

Nobody would EVER mistake this place as Jerry Reinsdorf's fan club, yet Mariotti thought he could play it off as though he was our popular savior.

Think again, Jay.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Who is this Mariotti guy everyone's on about? Some sports pundit or somethin'? :?:

JUribe1989
12-29-2004, 02:34 PM
What a way to wake up..............YES!!
:sunshine: :nod: :neener: :yup: :supernana: :cheers: :dtroll: :tongue: :gulp:

Brian26
12-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Who would you like to see in that timeslot?

An ex-jock tandem like a Raymont Harris or Big Cat Williams?

Thoughts?
That's a train wreck waiting to happen. What the hell do they know about anything besides football? Doug Buffone is intolerable on the other station 8 months a year as it is.

Brian26
12-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Spike Manton is available. Is the world ready for yet another version of the "Harry and Spike Show?"
Garry Meier is also available.

They could turn the afternoon show into Harry, Garry and Jurko.

Brian26
12-29-2004, 02:45 PM
i think a jurko and harry show would be great
I think they'd be great too.....on a college radio station. Jurko has no business being on a 50,000 watt major-market station, and Harry's material isn't good enough for Zanies.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
That's a train wreck waiting to happen. What the hell do they know about anything besides football? Doug Buffone is intolerable on the other station 8 months a year as it is.
I don't think that's true, athletes are usually sports fans like us, and not just in their sport of choice. Buffone is actually a good baseball guy just as Jiggs knew his basketball as well, Jurko knows a lot about most sports...

I just enjoy the first-hand experience of an educated, articulate ex-jock more than some pencil neck wannabe that sits back and ridicules without ever being in a situation that could pass as past experience.

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 02:49 PM
though I think Jurko and Harry could survive without Mac, their show has the best chemistry I've heard on a sports talk show, so I hope they keep the trio together.

Brian26
12-29-2004, 02:54 PM
I just enjoy the first-hand experience of an educated, articulate ex-jock more than some pencil neck wannabe that sits back and ridicules without ever being in a situation that could pass as past experience.
Educated and articulate are the two key words there. I agree with you in that respect. Being in Chicago, we've been subjected to some pretty bad players-turned-broadcasters, so I'm always cautious about this- especially former Bears. Didn't Keith Van Horne and Hilgenberg have a radio show for awhile on the Loop? Or was that Van Horne and Thayer?

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Educated and articulate are the two key words there. I agree with you in that respect. Being in Chicago, we've been subjected to some pretty bad players-turned-broadcasters, so I'm always cautious about this- especially former Bears. Didn't Keith Van Horne and Hilgenberg have a radio show for awhile on the Loop? Or was that Van Horne and Thayer?
Not sure....Van Horne is on the 1000 pre-game show and is very quiet, but then again who isn't with Mongo miked up. And we all know Thayer does the Bears game and has little interest living here full-time since he loves Hawaii - that's why I would assume a combination of Hilgenberg and Van Horne - both do live in the area, too.

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
here's an idea - Jimmy McMahon. He still lives in the area and is never shy to share his opinions. Pair him up with a responsible host and they could have a winner.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 03:16 PM
here's an idea - Jimmy McMahon. He still lives in the area and is never shy to share his opinions. Pair him up with a responsible host and they could have a winner.
I'm guessing McMahon has little interest in working. I think he saved/invested wisely and is enjoying watching his kids grow and playing as many rounds of golf a week during the summer...

Otherwise he probably would of been recruited by someone by now...but I like the possibility.

Justafan
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
:sopranos (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
"Who is this Mariotti character and how can we assist"?

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm guessing McMahon has little interest in working. I think he saved/invested wisely and is enjoying watching his kids grow and playing as many rounds of golf a week during the summer...

Otherwise he probably would of been recruited by someone by now...but I like the possibility.
I live pretty near him and have played hockey with his kid a few times, but as far as investing wisely, his recent restaurant in Glenview was shut down due to some shady investment dealings. But you are probably right, the pull of the course is probably too much to get him in the studio.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 03:34 PM
I live pretty near him and have played hockey with his kid a few times, but as far as investing wisely, his recent restaurant in Glenview was shut down due to some shady investment dealings. But you are probably right, the pull of the course is probably too much to get him in the studio.
I'm pretty sure he recovered from that since the investment flaws weren't under his awareness... either way I'm sure he didn't dump the life savings into that place.

BlackSox
12-29-2004, 03:34 PM
*IF* they were to break up the Mac-Jurko-Harry show, no way would Mac be the one to move to 9:00-noon. Afternoon drive is a big revenue generator, and Mac is the star.

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 03:36 PM
I'd personally like to have a local show in the pre 9am slot instead of mike and mike. i dont mind m&m but I'd like a more local flavor before work and I can't stand the score.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2004, 03:42 PM
I'd personally like to have a local show in the pre 9am slot instead of mike and mike. i dont mind m&m but I'd like a more local flavor before work and I can't stand the score.
Couldn't agree more...last thing I want is to wake up, get in my car and hear NY/BOS talk all morning... that and those two seem to overkill and dramatize situations beyond what they should be...which is they are just games, you idiots.

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 03:44 PM
ya their shtick gets real old, though it is kinda funny listening to Greeny rip on Golic for being a moron, but with Greeny being from chicago, you'd expect to hear a little more chicago talk but its usually just about the cubs. for some reason though listening to harry and jurko go at it never gets old.

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 03:57 PM
it will never happen the three national protected show's on espn1000 are mike, and mike, dan patrick, and todd wright

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I figured they had some kind of protection clause.at least jim rome didn't. I am at work but if anyone is listening let us know if they talk about mariotti on mac, jurko, harry today

Fenway
12-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Being from Boston but very familar with Chicago sports radio, Mariotti IMHO was one of the better voices.

Sports radio in Chicago is horrific compared to WEEI Boston, WFAN New York and WIP Philadelphia.

WEEI is the Red Sox flagship yet they can be very harsh on the team when things are not going well. By mid July they were calling for Theo's and Francona's scalp when the team went .500 for 3 months.

Fans are not stupid ( except the fans at 1060 W Addison ) You gotta tell it like it is.

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Being from Boston but very familar with Chicago sports radio, Mariotti IMHO was one of the better voices.

Sports radio in Chicago is horrific compared to WEEI Boston, WFAN New York and WIP Philadelphia.

WEEI is the Red Sox flagship yet they can be very harsh on the team when things are not going well. By mid July they were calling for Theo's and Francona's scalp when the team went .500 for 3 months.

Fans are not stupid ( except the fans at 1060 W Addison ) You gotta tell it like it is.
listen to a knicks postgame on 1050 espn radio in ny callers always are going for there heads

ChiSox14305635
12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I stopped listening to sports talk radio before 10a (when Boers/Bernstein come on the air). You had your choice of one windsock who never mentions the White Sox on the air and then when he does, it's always negative...........

and then, of course, you have Mariotti.

Fenway
12-29-2004, 04:26 PM
listen to a knicks postgame on 1050 espn radio in ny callers always are going for there heads

ESPN 1050 New York is trying hard to dent the NYC market but WFAN has a huge ratings lead

WFAN 2.4
WEPN 0.6

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=184&RY=2004&RQ=4&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=New%20York&MS=NY&MR=1&12P=15340000&UP=12/10/2004%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=17.5&HPER=19.1&OPER=&NSD=1/11/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

Chicago ESPN has a slight lead

WMVP 1.5
WSCR 1.4

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=53&RY=2004&RQ=4&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=Chicago&MS=IL&MR=3&12P=7612100&UP=12/13/2004&SU=CM&BPER=17.8&HPER=15.6&OPER=&NSD=1/13/2005&CE=0

In Boston WEEI is a monster. ESPN doesn't even try to compete there and WEEI picks up their all night show and weekends. Sporting News Radio owns a station in Boston but it doesn't even show in the ratings.

WEEI 6.8
WWZN -- (no rating)

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=35&RY=2004&RQ=4&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=Boston&MS=MA&MR=9&12P=3888800&UP=12/15/2004&SU=CM&BPER=6.1&HPER=6.2&OPER=&NSD=1/18/2005&CE=0

Kogs35
12-29-2004, 04:36 PM
ESPN 1050 New York is trying hard to dent the NYC market but WFAN has a huge ratings lead

WFAN 2.4
WEPN 0.6

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=184&RY=2004&RQ=4&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=New%20York&MS=NY&MR=1&12P=15340000&UP=12/10/2004%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=17.5&HPER=19.1&OPER=&NSD=1/11/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

Chicago ESPN has a slight lead

WMVP 1.5
WSCR 1.4

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=53&RY=2004&RQ=4&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=Chicago&MS=IL&MR=3&12P=7612100&UP=12/13/2004&SU=CM&BPER=17.8&HPER=15.6&OPER=&NSD=1/13/2005&CE=0

In Boston WEEI is a monster. ESPN doesn't even try to compete there and WEEI picks up their all night show and weekends. Sporting News Radio owns a station in Boston but it doesn't even show in the ratings.

WEEI 6.8
WWZN -- (no rating)

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=35&RY=2004&RQ=4&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=Boston&MS=MA&MR=9&12P=3888800&UP=12/15/2004&SU=CM&BPER=6.1&HPER=6.2&OPER=&NSD=1/18/2005&CE=0
wepn needs more pbp. they need more of the younger crowd also

chisox77
12-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Jay Mariotti has fulfilled his purpose as a columnist/radio/sportstv personality. He is strongly opinionated and outspoken. He will always have some kind of forum. He will not go away completely, because he is successful in getting people to react, respond, and create a secondary buzz over his written and spoken material.

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson has fulfilled his purpose. He is a broadcaster, employed by the White Sox, and is loyal to the one who pays him. He has enough "former player credibility" to comment on games and the players. Yet he also has enough savvy to stop at a certain point, and half wittingly echo the wishes of the White Sox. He will not go away, because he is successful in pleasing his boss, as well as enough fans, to hold down a visible job.

Niether one of these men is a good source for the bare truth of any situation concerning our White Sox because they represent certain interests, and thier loyalties will always influence the content of what they say.

So in other words today's firing of Jay Mariotti doesn't mean much, if anything.

voodoochile
12-29-2004, 05:35 PM
So in other words today's firing of Jay Mariotti doesn't mean much, if anything.
Wrong...

It means that the Sox are more valuable to their lineup than the Moron is.

It means the Moron wasn't drawing good enough ratings for WMVP to tell JR that they wanted to keep him no matter what.

Finally, it means the Moron no longer has a gig projecting his crap vocally to the masses, proving he isn't nearly as important, smart, witty or funny as he thinks he is.

Sucks to be him. It does not suck to be us...

Hey Jay... Bite me, loser...:D:

frontrunner3
12-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Syonara kotex boy and good riddance!! Hopefully this time they'll get someone in that time slot that is more tolerable. I can't stomach much of boers and bernstein.

FarWestChicago
12-29-2004, 05:47 PM
You just don't get it; every time he ripped Reinsdorf or the team's perfromance, he was advocating on your behalf!Let's see. You get completely duped by the Moron's totally transparent, self serving rhetoric and I'm the one who doesn't get it. OK. Make sure you take somebody with you whenever you go to buy a car. You might end up negotiating up in price. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Lip Man 1
12-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Dan H.

Extremely well said.

Uncle Patrick:

You talk about 'it would be different if the Sox tried to get him fired from the Sun-Times.'

They did.

That's what started this 'feud'...when Uncle Jerry called the owners and then they told Mariotti about it.

Lip

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 09:34 PM
On ESPN 1000s website, they already have erased all traces of mariotti. if only the suntimes could do the same

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 09:40 PM
I just love seeing "Mariotti fired" listed in the hottest threads of the week section. Currently #2 with a bullet.

flo-B-flo
12-29-2004, 09:47 PM
One thing it does show: ESPN wants very much to hold onto the White Sox/Bulls broadcasts. And this is what it's ALL about for Riensdork.

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM
I just love seeing "Mariotti fired" listed in the hottest threads of the week section. Currently #2 with a bullet.

:thumbsup: Second, naturally, to a BS Speculation thread:)

Rocklive99
12-29-2004, 10:14 PM

Plenty of callers and hosts in Chicago are critical on the teams when they are not doing well, Mariotti came off as he had a personal vendetta though

flo-B-flo
12-29-2004, 10:33 PM
I didn't hear his show. It doesn't come in out here. I dislike scream radio anyways. Some of Mariotti's rants upon the Sox were right, on a number of occasions. In print he seems to rip the Sox more than the ____. He also adored and savaged El Steroido~. We all bitch and scream when he writes something inane but we still read it. Are there any pictures of the Hawk - Mariotti press box tiff?

SFT
12-29-2004, 11:16 PM
This is my first post guys. I couldn't help myself but to celebrate with everyone in the end of the monster. This may be the best thing to happen to Chicago sports in a long time.

HE GONE!

Banix12
12-30-2004, 12:05 AM

Something a little naive about this post. Yeah, ideally we have free airwaves working in the public interests but no airwaves are actually "free" because they are still subject to the ad dollars and station revenue that allow them to be on the air. In radio you can't bite the hand (ad revenue) that feeds you because if you do you can't afford important things like transmitter upgrades, equipment upgrades for FCC compliance, personnel salaries, etc. It costs millions.

1)Marriotti was one of the lowest rated shows on that station. Part of the "Free" airwaives involves freedom of choice, and most of Chicago had decided to choose not to listen.
2)He repeatedly berated the Bulls and Sox who help bring in some of the highest ad revenue to the station.
3)He often feuded with Mac, Jurko and Harry, the highest rated show on the station and the leading non-sport creator of ad revenue.

I work in radio, and believe me I understand what you feel that there are some serious problems with media cosolidation and corporate interests superceding the public. Groups like clearchannel and sinclair taking over stations and feeding their "news" to the public. However Mariotti getting canned was not one of those issues. Mariotti is just using the being asked to not overly blast the sox and bulls as an excuse to make him sound noble instead what he really is, a low rated talk show host. A host, who was undermining the well-being of the station

BRDSR
12-30-2004, 12:51 AM

I don't mind listening to Silvy. At least he grew up around here and has been a Cub fan his whole life. That's a ton better than Mariotti moving into town and deciding that if he bowed to the Cubs and slammed the Sox he would be successful in this town. I'd love Carmen and Silvy from 9-12.

hose
12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
I got to get this in before my computer craps out...Mariotti he gone

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gf2020
12-30-2004, 02:12 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-041229espnmariotti,1,5014221.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

The gems....

After a broadcasting source said WMVP had cut ties with Mariotti because the station had grown tired of managing him and that he resisted suggestions to improve the show....

---------

A source said both Pastor and program director Len Weiner had written memos to Mariotti instructing him not to carry on his personal attacks of Reinsdorf and not to ask listeners to stop buying tickets to Sox games.

---------
A source said the station also was disappointed when Mariotti admonished co-host Marc Silverman on the air during a debate about whether the Sox should have re-signed Magglio Ordonez.

Mariotti told Silverman: "You have no right to question me."

Mariotti later acknowledged he went overboard, and said the two enjoyed a solid working relationship..Yeah, what a martyr. I realize the station is spinning, but Mariotti deserves no benefit of the doubt because of his history of doing exactly what the station accused him of.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
12-30-2004, 02:16 AM
carmen and silvy annoy me just like joniak annyoys me doing bears games. they just sound too much like amatures.

SSN721
12-30-2004, 08:22 AM
carmen and silvy annoy me just like joniak annyoys me doing bears games. they just sound too much like amatures.
Welcome Aboard. :cool: Carmen and Silvy I would enjoy. I dont like Silvy as much, but he is much better in tandem with Carmio then when he is kowtowing to Mariottis whims. He doesnt seem as much of a yes man with Carmen because they are on equal footing, I always liked listening to both when they had the 7-10 timeslot.

fledgedrallycap
12-30-2004, 09:03 AM
I was listening when Mac ripped into Mariotti:

"Dan McNeil recently lit into Mariotti for leaving the set for the final 40 minutes of his show, saying he knew nothing about team chemistry."

Obviously he knew something was about to explode and needed to take a shot before he went on vacation... :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 09:52 AM
...We all bitch and scream when he writes something inane but we still read it. Are there any pictures of the Hawk - Mariotti press box tiff?
Speak for yourself, flo. Most of the posters at WSI hate Mariotti and WISH HE WOULD GO AWAY. WSI began getting swamped with complaints about the handful of posters who kept posting news and links about his latest bit of trolling and baiting nonsense. Trolls get banished from WSI, and that goes double for any troll using a 50,000 watt megaphone.

That's why WSI started sending all of the windsock Mariotti threads to the Roadhouse. We also do it for that other first-class troll and mediot, the morning guy at the Score. We don't want their nonsense posted in this forum!

They troll and they bait and they have no business in a forum like Sox Clubhouse. We've made an exception for the windsock getting canned because the overwhelming majority of us are pleased with the news-- including Hawk Harrelson, and ipso facto Jerry Reinsdorf, too.

fledgedrallycap
12-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I have to disagree. Being youthful doesn't equal amature sounding. I'm not saying you have to like them, but all three seem quite prepared and have gotten better each and every year they've been on the radio.

bennyw41
12-30-2004, 10:04 AM
carmen and silvy annoy me just like joniak annyoys me doing bears games. they just sound too much like amatures.Thats nuts. Carmen sounds like he as been on the air forever. He's a stand up guy, hung out with him and he is good people. He sounds WAY past his years. Go Carmen, and Go Silvy!

SOXSINCE'70
12-30-2004, 10:14 AM
If fans are happy Mariotti is gone becasue they don't like him period, I don't have any problem with that.
I just don't like him.He's a pompus ass.If you're going to tell me
how Reinsdorf doesn't spend money,etc,join the club.Sox fans have
been bitching about this for deacades.I don't mind people telling the
truth about the historical frugality of the team.I just think
Mariottti is an ass!!!

SOXSINCE'70
12-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Thats nuts. Carmen sounds like he as been on the air forever. He sounds WAY past his years. Go Carmen, and Go Silvy!
Agreed.Give the slot to Silvy and Carmen and
be done with it!!

gf2020
12-30-2004, 12:58 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder301.html

In both cases, the timing apparently was dictated by contract provisions that automatically would have locked in both hosts for at least six more months if they hadn't been given notice by Tuesday.
Mariotti is so pathetic. If he honestly felt uncomfortable or that 1000 was supressing free speech, he should have gone public before he was fired. But you would need integrity to do that. Instead, he waits until they realize his ratings don't justify six more months and goes whining to the Tribune.

Lip Man 1
12-30-2004, 01:48 PM
I found this comment in Teddy Greenstein's story in the Tribune to be 'interesting:'

"A source said both Pastor and program director Len Weiner had written memos to Mariotti instructing him not to carry on his personal attacks of Reinsdorf and not to ask listeners to stop buying tickets to Sox games.

The memos, however, did not warn Mariotti about making disparaging remarks about other Chicago teams such as the Cubs and Bears."

Co-incidence? I think not considering the Bulls and Sox deals are up and that the Sun - Times reported that Uncle Jerry has been 'shopping them the past few months.'

This is as big a conflict of interest as the Tribune Company owning WGN-TV, the Tribune and the Cubs.

Fire Mariotti because he's an ass, or because he doesn't show up for work or because he mistreats his co-workers...that's justifiable. But I smell a strong odor that this was in fact a move to placate Uncle Jerry which is dead wrong.

Lip

FarWestChicago
12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Fire Mariotti because he's an ass, or because he doesn't show up for work or because he mistreats his co-workers...that's justifiable. But I smell a strong odor that this was in fact a move to placate Uncle Jerry which is dead wrong.LMAO!! Poor Lip, your buddy was whacked, canned, dumped!! WoooHooo!!! http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif

I'm laughing at you Lip, not with you. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm sure his absolutely lousy ratings and being a complete nutcase loser had nothing to do with his firing.

http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/gulp.gif

Kogs35
12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
I found this comment in Teddy Greenstein's story in the Tribune to be 'interesting:'

"A source said both Pastor and program director Len Weiner had written memos to Mariotti instructing him not to carry on his personal attacks of Reinsdorf and not to ask listeners to stop buying tickets to Sox games.

The memos, however, did not warn Mariotti about making disparaging remarks about other Chicago teams such as the Cubs and Bears."

Co-incidence? I think not considering the Bulls and Sox deals are up and that the Sun - Times reported that Uncle Jerry has been 'shopping them the past few months.'

This is as big a conflict of interest as the Tribune Company owning WGN-TV, the Tribune and the Cubs.

Fire Mariotti because he's an ass, or because he doesn't show up for work or because he mistreats his co-workers...that's justifiable. But I smell a strong odor that this was in fact a move to placate Uncle Jerry which is dead wrong.

Lip

his ego got the best of him and treated silvy like garbage and did not respect bruce levine.

maurice
12-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence. I suspect he made extremely personal attacks on JR and literally told listeners to stop buying tickets to Sox games. In the extremely unlikely event that he would tell listeners to stop buying cubs or Bears tickets, I suspect that they would have told him to stop that also. It would be foolish (and possibly actionable) to allow an employee to continue that sort of conduct.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence. I suspect he made extremely personal attacks on JR and literally told listeners to stop buying tickets to Sox games. In the extremely unlikely event that he would tell listeners to stop buying cubs or Bears tickets, I suspect that they would have told him to stop that also. It would be foolish (and possibly actionable) to allow an employee to continue that sort of conduct.
I love it. The more we find out about the circumstances, the more a jerk and ratings failure Jay Moronotti proves himself to be. It's not enough that he just can't attract an audience, he's stirring trouble with coworkers and claiming Holy Innocence to anyone stupid enough to believe him.

What a jerk. And gee, what a surprise... Jay blames everyone but himself. *******. He's getting EXACTLY what any other low-performing obstinate employee would deserve -- a pink slip.

TornLabrum
12-30-2004, 02:21 PM

Lip

Lip, I haven't seen the fall Arbitrons, but I have seen them through last summer, and Mariotti's ratings were in the toilet. That's what gets you canceled.

ChiSox14305635
12-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Mariotti couldn't deal with anyone who he couldn't push over. When his show first started, and they kept parading different on-air staff with him, notice how McNeil was never paired with him. Probably because he knew he couldn't get away with the continued slamming of the Sox without McNeil calling him on the carpet. As it was, Levine usually made Mariotti look like a total idiot every time he was on the show. Mariotti is a bully, and wants to force his opinion on everybody else. The sports landscape will look alot better once he has exited from this town altogether.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 04:15 PM

Lip Yeah, sure. WMVP is supposed to set themselves up for a lawsuit by allowing an employee to go on the air and purposely denigrate somebody else's property under false pretenses. Nevermind that the same properties were the two biggest drawing cards WMVP has, and nevermind that the employee in question was one of the worst drawing cards... or that the he was well despised for his behavior by other employees at the station... including those with the highest-rated shows. Jay was wronged!

Jay Mariotti got a pink slip. I suggest you and him just start dealing with it.

tsamdog
12-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah, sure. WMVP is supposed to set themselves up for a lawsuit by allowing an employee to go on the air and purposely denigrate somebody else's property under false pretenses. Nevermind that the same properties were the two biggest drawing cards WMVP has, and nevermind that the employee in question was one of the worst drawing cards... or that the he was well despised for his behavior by other employees at the station... including those with the highest-rated shows. Jay was wronged!

Agreed PHG..... What we know about the firing is only what others are going to share. Yes, there are legal ramifications for WMVP on both ends: allowing Mariotti to continue and to fire him without cause. I highly doubt that the radio powers that be would trip that type of a land mine. IMO, he was fired for insubordination.

ode to veeck
12-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Headed for two tomatos in this thread alone, Moronatti's firing from his radio job is starting to loom as one of the better highlights for Sox fans in recent years. Now if he can only be deposed from his drivel spewing post at the Scrub-Times ...

ode to veeck
12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Lip, I haven't seen the fall Arbitrons, but I have seen them through last summer, and Mariotti's ratings were in the toilet. That's what gets you canceled.
To me, this is the supreme highlight of the situation, a measure of the general pubic's total lack of interest in his BS anymore. If only there were the equivalent of readership ratings for newspaper columnists ...

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Lip, sometimes you have just as big of an agenda as Moronotti.

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:04 PM
his ego got the best of him and treated silvy like garbage and did not respect bruce levine.
He sounded like a complete and utter ass when he told Silvy that. And...Everyone should respect Bruce Levine.

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Gospel.

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Is it possible that Jay hides in his apartment every weekend? I mean, seriously, who here wouldn't want to kick his ass if they ever saw him in public? I say that sarcastically, maybe, but, at the very least, if you ever saw this nerd out on the town, wouldn't you want to give him a hard time?

voodoochile
12-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Is it possible that Jay hides in his apartment every weekend? I mean, seriously, who here wouldn't want to kick his ass if they ever saw him in public? I say that sarcastically, maybe, but, at the very least, if you ever saw this nerd out on the town, wouldn't you want to give him a hard time? I actually did run into him many years ago when the Bulls were in the middle of one of their threepeats. He was writing his usual crap about how the Bulls were in trouble because Pippen and MJ were feuding (the evidence being that they weren't sitting next to each other on the bench). I told him the Bulls were just fine and he could tell his readers I said so. He obviously thought I was full of it, but trust me, the feeling is mutual...

Edit: Like many Sun-Times reporters he used to hang at Mother Hubbards. I have no idea if that is still true.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2004, 06:24 PM
...He was writing his usual crap about how the Bulls were in trouble because Pippen and MJ were feuding (the evidence being that they weren't sitting next to each other on the bench)....
See. This is why he is so hated. He makes up stuff virtually from whole cloth expecting that none of his readers are smart enough to remember how much bull**** he was serving up in any of his previous columns.

Like I said 190 or so posts ago in this thread, listening to/reading Mariotti is only good for understanding the psychology of a small boy with a tiny appendage.

This is all you need to know about Mariotti's opinion on anything and everything in his column...

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!"

I swear to God, there is no way in hell that little twerp is packing more than 2 inches in his shorts.

I want Mags back
12-30-2004, 06:28 PM

"He gone!"...

I LOVVVVe the hawk

Brian26
12-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Edit: Like many Sun-Times reporters he used to hang at Mother Hubbards. I have no idea if that is still true.There's a visual. Moronotti at the pool table at Mother Hubbard's with a Corona in one hand and a pool cue in the other...

"Care for a game of 9-ball?"

Lip Man 1
12-30-2004, 06:35 PM
From Teddy Greenstein's story in the Tribune, take it for what it's worth:

"At least both sides agree that ratings did not cause the breakup. Pastor said Mariotti's numbers were "OK"a distant second to WSCR's Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein but far better than those posted by Jim Rome, who had preceded Mariotti in WMVP's lineup."

As far as those who contend that I'm upset over his demise, I couldn't care less since Jay wasn't paying me a dime. I simply feel that this was in fact, a move to make Uncle Jerry happy and that is against all principles of broadcasting. It sets a dangerous precedent.

Besides he's still going to be around attacking the source of the overwhelming number of the team's problems....good ol' Uncle jerry.

Lip

I want Mags back
12-30-2004, 06:37 PM

A) It's Kornheiser

B) Barely any shows on sports radio actually go in depth with sports.
look at Mac Jurko and Harry, the talk bull**** all day

Kuzman
12-30-2004, 07:10 PM
I actually enjoyed Kornheiser granted he didn't go too in depth with sports but thats all that was on the station so it kinda gets repedative when youre listenin to the same thing all day..

Bring him back!

ode to veeck
12-30-2004, 07:41 PM
:tomatoaward :tomatoaward

Originally Posted by PaleHoseGeorge

:supernana: strike up the band! woohoo!

TornLabrum
12-30-2004, 10:42 PM
From Teddy Greenstein's story in the Tribune, take it for what it's worth:

"At least both sides agree that ratings did not cause the breakup. Pastor said Mariotti's numbers were "OK"a distant second to WSCR's Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein but far better than those posted by Jim Rome, who had preceded Mariotti in WMVP's lineup."

As far as those who contend that I'm upset over his demise, I couldn't care less since Jay wasn't paying me a dime. I simply feel that this was in fact, a move to make Uncle Jerry happy and that is against all principles of broadcasting. It sets a dangerous precedent.

Besides he's still going to be around attacking the source of the overwhelming number of the team's problems....good ol' Uncle jerry.

Lip
He was also blowing off the last 40 minutes of his show, which is what McNeil took him to task for and made his "team player" comments.

As far as ratings, they were among the worst on the station for each ratings period I'm aware of, and a distant second to Boers/Bernstein should be unacceptable to management, especially if he is badmouthing the programming that has the higest ratings, Sox/Bulls.

Now riddle me this: What would happen to Tom Waddel, Dave Kaplan, Jim Memolo, or any of the WGN sports department if they started badmouthing the Cubs on their flagship station? Would their firing set a bad precedent?

Rob Feder had an interesting twist in his column. It turns out that both Mariotti and Jay Marvin at WLS (also Disney owned) had clauses in their contract that stated if they weren't fired by that date, they'd be locked in for six more months. Both were fired. Sounds like the broadcasting version of the diminished skills clause.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Never a big fan of Mariotti. But I give him credit, he did say on the air to me that "Sox fans are the smartest sports fans in Chicago." We were discussing whether sports boycotts really work or not.

soxnut
12-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Now riddle me this: What would happen to Tom Waddel, Dave Kaplan, Jim Memolo, or any of the WGN sports department if they started badmouthing the Cubs on their flagship station? Would their firing set a bad precedent?

Basically what I said in a previous post. Could you imagine them doing that? Could you imagine Mariotti being on Cubba-U-G-N and slamming the Cubs, the same way he slammed the Sox on MVP?--C'mon give me a break, broadcasting principles my ***! You don't bite the hand that feeds you--period!

FarWestChicago
12-31-2004, 01:42 AM
As far as those who contend that I'm upset over his demise, I couldn't care less since Jay wasn't paying me a dime.:windsock:

Et tu, Lipe?

Ahhh, I know you're just kidding, buddy!! You've always got my back!!

slavko
12-31-2004, 05:36 PM

Saying it doesn't make it so. The above is nothing but a self serving comment.

gobears1987
01-02-2005, 10:19 PM
HE GAWN

miker
01-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a question for Steve Stone and Chip Caray!

MARTINMVP
01-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Hi my name is Martin, and this is my 1st post here on WSI. I am a regular poster at www.score670.com (http://www.score670.com) website.

Anyways, I read in a way earlier post, that Mariotti often times was not really interactive with his listeners and didn't seem to enjoy his job.

He was arrogant with his callers, gave them 15 to 20 seconds most of the time to speak, then reply and never give the caller a chance to reply.

Silvy a while ago said he read something on a message board (from cbfans.com, I think) and Mariotti jumped in and said something to the effect of "WHAT! YOU ARE USING INFORMATION YOU GOT OFF A MESSAGE BOARD. DON'T YOU REALIZE SILVY THAT THOSE PEOPLE WHO POST THERE HAVE NO LIVES AND HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN POST ON A WEBSITE. THEY MEAN NOTHING." Not an exact quote, but that's what I got out of what he said.

In his defense about e-mails, most hosts don't check those e-mails. It usually is read by the producers and that's it. Silvy does go the extra length to reply to specific e-mails though.

As far as Silvy and Carmen go, I do like their show, though Silvy I think tries to come up with stupid segments sometimes. Carmen I enjoy more, but I hope they are given the 9a - noon spot permanently.

Erik The Red
01-04-2005, 02:44 AM
Anyone catch Moronotti on Around the Horn today. The first thing he said on the air when he was introduced was, "I've got some career advice for you. Whatever you do, stay away from local radio."

:roflmao:

doublem23
01-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Anyone catch Moronotti on Around the Horn today. The first thing he said on the air when he was introduced was, "I've got some career advice for you. Whatever you do, stay away from local radio."

:roflmao:
Yeah, I caught that. I wish someone would have just told him, "career advice for you, Jay. Don't be such a douchebag."

Erik The Red
01-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I was waiting for Woody Paige to let him have it. Oh well.

Kogs35
01-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I was waiting for Woody Paige to let him have it. Oh well.http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/17/17437/pages/600120/espnsux2.gif

Flight #24
01-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Could it be that Moronotti wasn't making personal attacks against other teams or asking fans to stop buying their tickets? Note that they didn't ask him to stop making disparaging remarks about the Sox, just to stop the personal attacks and ticket requests.

Nah....Jay's proven that he's absolutely objective where JR's concerned.