PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants Perez?

Fredsox
12-28-2004, 07:01 PM
So I'm just wondering..... If the Mets have no interest in Odalis Perez http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/265965p-227792c.html

, who does? I have not seen much where other teams have expressed interest in him, which seems curious to me. And as KW has been after him for the past 2 years, does he upgrade the current staff by investing in Perez? According to articles Perez is expecting a 3 year $20+ million contract, perhaps a bit much for his credentials. Clearly KW would have to move some money off the payroll and free up a starting rotation position (Garland?).

Is this how we trade for a second baseman and improve the starting 5? Nothing but rampant speculation on my part, just thinking outloud.

zach074
12-28-2004, 07:08 PM
If no one wants him we should just pick him up and then we could trade Garland away for some new bats.

pudge
12-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Someone wants him, they're just not letting on that they do.

Erik The Red
12-28-2004, 07:33 PM
They're "under the radar". Take that, Kenny!

DickAllen72
12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Is this how we trade for a second baseman and improve the starting 5? Nothing but rampant speculation on my part, just thinking outloud.

You mean like sign Perez, then trade Garland to the Phillies for Polanco + $2.5million? I like it.
:smile:

Fredsox
12-28-2004, 08:08 PM
You mean like sign Perez, then trade Garland to the Phillies for Polanco + $2.5million? I like it.
:smile:
Yeah, exactly like that. If we can hook up with Perez that frees up Garland. If we're currently at about $68 million and we sign Perez, say, for $7 million a year we're at $75. Then we move Garland at $3.5 for Polanco and whatever else we can hold up the Phillies for.

Alternatively we can still sign the guy from Japan and just trade Garland for prospects or maybe some catching talent. The more I think of this the more I like it! It gives us flexibility to improve the team in every area.

GAsoxfan
12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
I've read that the Nationals are interested in Perez.

Mohoney
12-28-2004, 08:34 PM
This thread should be SWIMMING in deeppink.

Adding a 2nd lefty in Perez and trading Garland for a 2B? Where do I sign?

Maybe the Orioles would give us Roberts for Garland and prospects? A speedy switch-hitter with 50 doubles batting behind Podsednik would equate to an awful lot of RBI opportunities for Frank in the #3 hole.

Fredsox
12-28-2004, 08:35 PM
I've read that the Nationals are interested in Perez.
Yeah, I heard that too. You'd think they'd have to offer someone a whole pile o' money to sign with a team that had to stop selling tickets because their stadium deal fell through. Is anybody else after him that we know of?

If we get him we have our rotation set for 2-3 years, we'll sell tickets like crazy (you'd think), and we'd create a buzz that would really steal the thunder from the Flubs. HOW CAN THIS NOT MAKE SENSE???????

munchman33
12-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Perez is too much of a flyball pitcher to survive in U.S. Cellular Field. His numbers would end up being similar to what Garland would produce, if not worse. And he'd be getting paid more. I'll pass.

FightingBillini
12-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Perez is too much of a flyball pitcher to survive in U.S. Cellular Field. His numbers would end up being similar to what Garland would produce, if not worse. And he'd be getting paid more. I'll pass.
Interesting...
Garland: 4.69K/9 76 BB 113K 1.49K/BB 1.27G/F ratio
Perez: 5.87K/9 44 BB 128K 2.91K/BB 1.62G/F ratio

How is that close close to Garland. Garland is considered "ground ball" pitcher, so is Buehrle (1.50), and Odalis has a considerably better percentage than either one of them. Perez also has almost half the walks that Garland does, and more strike outs(though being in the NL accounts for that). I didnt list HR's given up, becuase Dodger Stadium is a pitcher's park, but it wouldn't hurt Odalis that much anyway. Garland gave up the same amount of homers at home (16) in 2004 as he did in 2003. I dont know where people get this BS that he is a flyball pitcher, but he isnt.

chaz171
12-29-2004, 01:35 PM
I'm All for trading Garland away. I think the only thing we can get in return for him is Matt Karchner.