PDA

View Full Version : Need to complete jersey--help!

LVSoxFan
12-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey Sox fans...

Currently I have all the Sox jerseys, official versions. Even a now-useless American League ASG jersey with Loaiza's name on the back. Ouch. That cost a lot.

A co-worker went to the Cell one day and I couldn't go because of work obligations. Having the cash, I asked him to pick me up the "away" gray jersey (as I was building my collection). I gave him a picture so he'd know what to buy. Off he went.

The next day, and probably 20 beers later, he came in with it. Oh, it was the jersey all right, but for some reason they have two versions--one without the "sock" patch on the sleeve, and one with. He got me the one without. No prob, I thought, I'll buy the patch somewhere and get it sewn on.

For the life of me I can't find one anywhere--not even at the Cell. Any ideas? Here's the patch in question, it's the one on the left breast of this new walkoff jersey:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1853164&cp=1452701

BTW when did this come along? And what's a "walkoff jersey"?

Brian26
12-28-2004, 04:48 PM
The next day, and probably 20 beers later, he came in with it. Oh, it was the jersey all right, but for some reason they have two versions--one without the "sock" patch on the sleeve, and one with. He got me the one without.
I hope you can find the patch. This is the main reason that I always try to buy stuff like this for myself. I'm just as picky as you when it comes to this kind of stuff. Not having the diamond sock logo would absolutely drive me crazy. If it has to do with jerseys, hats, baseball collectibles, etc....make sure you always get it for yourself, and never leave it to an uninformed woman or a guy who drinks 20 beers in one sitting.

Mickster
12-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey Sox fans...

Currently I have all the Sox jerseys, official versions. Even a now-useless American League ASG jersey with Loaiza's name on the back. Ouch. That cost a lot.

A co-worker went to the Cell one day and I couldn't go because of work obligations. Having the cash, I asked him to pick me up the "away" gray jersey (as I was building my collection). I gave him a picture so he'd know what to buy. Off he went.

The next day, and probably 20 beers later, he came in with it. Oh, it was the jersey all right, but for some reason they have two versions--one without the "sock" patch on the sleeve, and one with. He got me the one without. No prob, I thought, I'll buy the patch somewhere and get it sewn on.

For the life of me I can't find one anywhere--not even at the Cell. Any ideas? Here's the patch in question, it's the one on the left breast of this new walkoff jersey:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1853164&cp=1452701

BTW when did this come along? And what's a "walkoff jersey"?I am guessing that your friend purchased a replica jersey which does not include the patch. The authentic jerseys ($160-200) include the patch. Don't know where you can find a patch, though....

billnahorodny
12-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I am guessing that your friend purchased a replica jersey which does not include the patch. The authentic jerseys ($160-200) include the patch. Don't know where you can find a patch, though....
This is in fact exactly what happened...I know because the same thing happened to me over Christmas. I went to Grandstand yesterday and exchanged the replica for an authentic. I was actually surprised that outside of the patch on the sleeve and the MLB patch on the back of the collar, there are really few differences (Grandstand still insisted I give them $38)...they seen to be made of pretty much the same material and the lettering appears to be the same. I have a vague recollection that those patches might be available at Soxfest at the booth where they do the jersey names and numbers.

SouthSideHitman
12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I was gonna do the same thing and buy the patch and have, in fact found the patch at Soxfest the past two years, although I couldn't tell you which booth. Personally I didn't get the patch becasuse I didn't think it was worth the $20 to add to a $45 jersey, but you are clearly more willing to pay for accuracy than I.

LVSoxFan
12-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Thank you everybody, I will check at the fest.

I know it's a small thing, but hey: I'm a stickler for detail. Glad to know others share the same dimenti... er, opinion... :D:

Ozzballfest
12-28-2004, 05:38 PM
How funny. I'm as picky as you. I bought one of those red, white and blue White Sox caps from Grandstand a few years ago. But when I got it, the cap had red stitching. I knew that wasn't right but had a tough time finding those caps, so I learned to live with the red. Now Grandstand has those same caps with clear stitching. Plus they have the late 80's mistaken C caps too.

jshanahanjr
12-28-2004, 06:12 PM
I got a sox patch and Comiskey patch @ triple threat sports in Mokena, IL. I don't have their #, but maybe you could email or call them? I know they have a website, and they were @ Soxfest last year.

HITMEN OF 77
12-28-2004, 06:50 PM
I've seen the patch your talking about on eBay before. With Soxfest so close, I'm sure you can get one there. Last year there was a huge booth with all sorts of patches downstairs.

jabrch
12-28-2004, 07:25 PM
I'd be surprised if Grandstand doesn't carry them.

doublem23
12-28-2004, 07:30 PM
If you haven't found it by next summer, I'd recommend hitting the Garage Sale. They sell a lot of stuff like that.

Mendoza Line
12-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Try the "Chicago Store" in the mall. I know there's one in Fox Valley. Thats where I got my sock patch.

santo=dorf
12-28-2004, 09:24 PM
I bought both the Sock in the diamond and the 2003 all-star game patch for my replica alternate jersey back 2003. It costs about $15.

The lettering on the authentic jerseys are much better than the lettering on the replica jerseys too.

FightingBillini
12-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I bought both the Sock in the diamond and the 2003 all-star game patch for my replica alternate jersey back 2003. It costs about $15.

The lettering on the authentic jerseys are much better than the lettering on the replica jerseys too.
Also, the material is thicker and they have a tapered fit. The replicas are much baggier.

scottyl
12-28-2004, 11:58 PM
National Emblem made the American League anniversary patch I bought a few years ago when they were wearing those. Here is their Web site: http://www.nationalemblem.com. As you'll see, the site specifically mentions that the patch is for collectible purposes only and cannot be applied to anything without the permission of MLB.

TimoPerez
12-29-2004, 12:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25132&item=5152297367&rd=1

This looks like what you are looking for. Hurry up! Bidding ends in about six days.:cool:

TimoPerez
12-29-2004, 12:56 AM
National Emblem made the American League anniversary patch I bought a few years ago when they were wearing those. Here is their Web site: http://www.nationalemblem.com (http://www.nationalemblem.com/). As you'll see, the site specifically mentions that the patch is for collectible purposes only and cannot be applied to anything without the permission of MLB.You beat me, but the one I found is cheaper and doesn't say anything about not being able to put it on anything without permission.:tongue:

LVSoxFan
12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Thank you everybody. I bid on the patch; if that doesn't work out I'll try at Sox fest.

Glad to know there's jersey purists like me out there!