PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Sox Moment

kaufsox
12-28-2004, 12:32 AM
Hello all--

I've responded to a few threads, but this is the first one I've initiated. I was just wondering what are some of your funniest/weirdest/strangest moments at Sox park. Mine is more along the lines of funny, if not a bit sad. I was in the restroom wearing my newly purchased Loiza jersey(after the trade, $29, how could I not buy it!). A guy next to me says, "you should hang on to that jersey, it will be worth something someday." I've met many a die hard fans, but to believe that Loiza merchandise is going to rise in value requires a faith that I do not have. I seriously wanted to ask the guy if he was drinking beer or kool-aid supplied by Sox management and the Estaban Loiza fan club. Love to read your stories...kck

kittle42
12-28-2004, 12:36 AM
wearing my newly purchased Loiza jerseyDoublecheck the back sometime. :smile:

Jabroni
12-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Doublecheck the back sometime. :smile::)

Esteban Loaiza
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_117842.jpg
"Since the Sox didn't score enough runs for me, the least you Sox fans could do is get my name right!"

RKMeibalane
12-28-2004, 12:46 AM
April 26, 2003: This wasn't funny when it happened, but looking back now, I can't help but laugh. The event I'm referring to occurred during a game between the Sox and the Minnesota Twins at US Celluar Field. The Sox were victorious on this night, as Carlos Lee, Frank Thomas, and Magglio Ordonez each blasted home runs (Maggs hit two). But that was not what I remember most about this game.

In the fifth inning, following the Twins' beaning of Maggs earlier in the contest, Jon Garland took matters into his own hands and nailed "Choir Boy Dougie" in the back with a fastball, both in retaliation for the Twins throwing at Maggs, and also because the Twins first baseman had said earlier in the week that he didn't think the Sox deserved to host the AS Game because of the recent attacks by fans on umpires (Laz Diaz) and coaches (Terry Gamboa).

Garland was immediately ejected from the game, even though no warning had been issued by homeplate umpire Bruce Froemming. Hawk was irate, so much so that he started screaming, "That was BS! I just don't understand how someone could have that much power." For the next several minutes, Darrin Jackson tried to explain what was occurring on the field, as both Ron Gardenhire and Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel had come onto the field to find out what was going on. However, DJ was interrupted several times by Hawk, who was still angry about what happened, screaming over and over, "That was BS!"

As it turned out, the umpires had warned both teams prior to the start of the game, and so Bruce was justified (or so he thought) in throwing Garland out.

Bucktown
12-28-2004, 12:52 AM
The night Psycho dropped his pants had to be the funniest thing I ever saw.

Jabroni
12-28-2004, 12:58 AM
The night Psycho dropped his pants had to be the funniest thing I ever saw.That was funny when I saw it live on TV. Psycho totally forgot where he was. Except now, FOX shows it every Saturday game of the week that Psycho is hosting. :rolleyes:

DaleJRFan
12-28-2004, 02:18 AM
:)

Esteban Loaiza
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_117842.jpg
"Since the Sox didn't score enough runs for me, the least you Sox fans could do is get my name right!"
in 2003, how many 1-0 or 2-1 games did Este lose to the Tigers?? He should have been 27-2. I agree with his bitch on this one.

Jabroni
12-28-2004, 02:20 AM
in 2003, how many 1-0 or 2-1 games did Este lose to the Tigers?? He should have been 27-2. I agree with his bitch on this one.Don't you remember the Sox scoring runs to give Este the lead, only to have Este give up more runs and the lead in the next inning? He did that alot last season.

MUsoxfan
12-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Don't you remember the Sox scoring runs to give Este the lead, only to have Este give up more runs and the lead in the next inning? He did that alot last season.
Yeah...but I recall two 1-0 losses to the Tigers, at least one I was in attendance for

DaleJRFan
12-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Don't you remember the Sox scoring runs to give Este the lead, only to have Este give up more runs and the lead in the next inning? He did that alot last season.
Loaiza knew he STUNK last season. I doubt the run support comments were made about 2004... I'd wager the comments were in regard to the numerous 1-0, 2-1, etc loses he had. Like I said, he should have been 27-2.

DaleJRFan
12-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Sorry for getting off topic... with the Loaiza BS...

The only truly funny memory I have is of a comment made during a radio broadcast. Sox were whipping on someone, don'teven remember, was driving home from work... and Rooney was describing the way the oposing team's pitching coach was pacing the dugout... Farmer chimes in... "Yea, he's chewing that gum like a 3-dollar steak!" I almost crashed I was laughing so hard...

:)

Lem_Siddons
12-28-2004, 05:49 AM
I was sitting near the Sox dugout during a Sox-Brewers game at Old Milwaukee County Stadium. Ozzie was having one of those days where everything he hit was hard and right at someone. He just got robbed on what would have been a web gem. As he was running back to the dugout, from about 30 feet away, he propels his helmet into the dugout and yells F--- this M----- F------ Game!!

I turned to the guys I was there with and said "You know, his English has gotten a lot better"

eastchicagosoxfan
12-28-2004, 07:22 AM
This funny moment happened at the old park, in 1986, I believe, and I doubt it could take place today, especially after that Pistons-Pacers game. The Sox were playing the Yankees, and we were in the front row, directly in front of the visitors on deck circle. I was 18 years old, and my buddies and I were drinking heavily. Ricky Henderson was on the Yanks at the time, and from the get go, we reminded him that Rick, and Ricky rhymed with a particular part of the male anatomy. His first at bat, he got on, and was promptly picked off. For the life of me, I can't remember the Sox pitcher. On his next at bat, we were really giving him the business, about everything, from anatomy, to the pick-off, to potential relationships with Dave winfield. Henderson just glared at us, went to bat, got on first, and was picked off. It's odd, but we didn't make fun of Dave winfield. That dude was huge!! Anyway, we abused Henderson in his third at bat, and he didn't reach base. On his fourth at bat, he got base, and scored what turned out to be the winning run. As he crossed home plate, and came past us, he extended both arms, both middle fingers, and F-U-ed us for what seemed like an eternity. We had no comebacks at the time. Anyway, all these years later, I would like to thank the Andy Frain ushers, and the beer vendor, and Ricky Henderson, who was a really good sport, and had every right to have four underage knuckleheads tossed from the park.

mrwag
12-28-2004, 08:34 AM
The funniest thing I ever saw at a game occured at New Comiskey, early 90's (I'm thinking 93 or 94). It was between innings and the Jumbotron was displaying camera footage of fans in the stands. The centerfield camera was panning around and stopped on a man, who had no idea he was on the screen. The man stood up, faced the camera, and began to "dig his jewels" like he had a serious case of jock itch. The stadium was PACKED (over 35k), a Saturday night fireworks night, later in the innings so many beers had already been served, and the crowed COMPLETELY ERUPTED in laughter. It was the funniest GD thing I've EVER seen in my life.:D:

I'll never forget it, as I was there with my future wife and brother-in-law. We were sitting in the upper deck, right behind home plate.

daveeym
12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok Brief version above, funny full version below.

Taking your 2 roommates to the game on your season tix: $120
Beers for 3: $60-90
Food for 3: $30-50
Ragging on dead man walking Harold Baines during his last stint: Free
Having your 2 roommates that you brought to the game start a kick him out chant and being removed from the stadium: Priceless.

There might even be some posters here present for this one. Oh must have been two thousand aught zero or aught one. It was during Baines last stint with the club when his bat was slower than molasses and he was just brutal. My roommate and I are sitting with our third roommate in his season tickets. He's a great guy but is that short pudgy/stocky obnoxious ball of fire that's always the loudest in the area. Well even before the alcohol kicks in he's all over Baines, just reaming him out at the top of his lungs, standing and hopping all over the place. Other fans are just screaming all sorts of things - FOHB telling him to shut it, others telling him to sit down and still others encouraging him and agreeing that Baines is a waste. Well it's getting to the 6th or 7th and people are really getting sick of him. My other roommate and I are tired of it as well and are nicely lit up. Well my roommate stands up behind our heckler friend's back and quietly starts a kick him out - kick him out - chant that quickly takes hold of the right field line/corner. Security comes down and actually starts to talk to me, i just give a look of shock to the guy and point at my moron roommate who's still screaming at Baines and give a "Huh" motion with my arms (trying not to laugh my ass off). Well security gets it and proceeds to remove our obnoxious roommate from the stadium to cheers from the entire right field line/corner. The two of us remaining got two more beers apiece before last call, sat and enjoyed the rest of the game in peace and recieved many high fives from those around us before meeting our buddy outside the stadium near the security entrance.

SteveSax'sSocks
12-28-2004, 11:55 AM
I thought it was funny when the Cubs imploded in Game 6. Does that count?

kaufsox
12-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Doublecheck the back sometime. :smile:

ouch. mea culpa. I knew something looked off. Thanks for all the stories so far, they are great!! :smile:

soxfan43
12-28-2004, 12:57 PM
I remember 2 or 3 seasons ago sitting in the outfield and harrassing Tim Salmon with a few other fans. Then he misplayed/dropped not one but two fly balls helping the sox in a come from behind win. Of course next game he sat out so we couldnt go at him again.

HomeFish
12-28-2004, 01:02 PM
In that game where Loaiza blew an 8-0 lead against the Indians, there was a "Gload's Gang" in Left Field that carried a large sign that said "put in Gload".

I spent much of the early part of the game heckling them, particularly about Timo Perez's superiority to Gload as a backup outfielder. I made it known that I thought that Timo could beat Gload nine times out of ten.

Later, as the game moved into extra innings tied 9-9, I snuck down to behind first base, and, in the 10th or so, Ross Gload was announced as a pinch hitter. Gload's gang, still in LF, went crazy, and they were shown on the jumbotron. Gload proceeded to strike out on three pitches.

That was also the game where Shingo completed his "hidden perfect game". Jose ended it with a bomb to right.

SOXSINCE'70
12-28-2004, 01:19 PM
:nolanventura
'WHO'S YOUR DADDY?? HUH?? HUH??"

Nolan Ryan to Robin Ventura-1993

Realist
12-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Here's a reply of mine from a similar thread back in May:

I believe the year was 2000 and I was standing out on the left-centerfield concourse at New Comiskey. There's this one vendor at the park that Im sure many of you have seen. He's looks like he's about 80 year old, about 5'7" and has white hair. Sometimes he's the guy with the margarita "jet pack" strapped to his back and sometimes he sells programs at a podium on the concourse by gate 5.

On this day he was wearing the margarita thingy. There was a guy sitting on a folding chair just inside the plastic chains in the handicapped section. He had a cane at his side and was maybe about 70 years old. I was talking to him about the '59 Sox and the Sox in general for about 20 minutes when the vendor walked by. "Yo, margaritaville!" the 70 year old suddenly yelled out to the 80 year old vendor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME, PUNK?!" yelled back the vendor. With that he threw his arms out to the side in a confrontational kind of way and the hose to the margarita back pack went flying behind him and began snaking on the ground like a fully functioning and unattended fire hose. Margaritas sprayed onto the concourse behind him. The 70 year old eased himself out of the chair with the aid of his cane steadied himself and said, "What? You wanna throw down with me?!" They were both very very pissed and I was certain there was a good chance I was about to see a donnybrook with possible broken hip repercussions. I began to laugh a nervous laugh at first, then began to laugh uncontrollably and began looking around for a hidden camera and Alan Funt.

You can't beat fun at the old ballpark. :D:

Whitesox029
12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Here's a reply of mine from a similar thread back in May:

I believe the year was 2000 and I was standing out on the left-centerfield concourse at New Comiskey. There's this one vendor at the park that Im sure many of you have seen. He's looks like he's about 80 year old, about 5'7" and has white hair. Sometimes he's the guy with the margarita "jet pack" strapped to his back and sometimes he sells programs at a podium on the concourse by gate 5.

On this day he was wearing the margarita thingy. There was a guy sitting on a folding chair just inside the plastic chains in the handicapped section. He had a cane at his side and was maybe about 70 years old. I was talking to him about the '59 Sox and the Sox in general for about 20 minutes when the vendor walked by. "Yo, margaritaville!" the 70 year old suddenly yelled out to the 80 year old vendor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME, PUNK?!" yelled back the vendor. With that he threw his arms out to the side in a confrontational kind of way and the hose to the margarita back pack went flying behind him and began snaking on the ground like a fully functioning and unattended fire hose. Margaritas sprayed onto the concourse behind him. The 70 year old eased himself out of the chair with the aid of his cane steadied himself and said, "What? You wanna throw down with me?!" They were both very very pissed and I was certain there was a good chance I was about to see a donnybrook with possible broken hip repercussions. I began to laugh a nervous laugh at first, then began to laugh uncontrollably and began looking around for a hidden camera and Alan Funt.

You can't beat fun at the old ballpark. :D: I laughed just reading this! :bandance:
I was in section 518, row 18, a mere 3 rows from the top. Right before the whole patterson-being-doubled-off play, some cub fan got thrown out of the park for being what I assume is officially known as "disrespectful to the fans around him." He gave a middle finger as a parting shot, but we in 516 and 518 will all remember him for spilling his beer all down his front while tripping on the stairs to a chorus of "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye." I posted this back on June 24 of this year, after game three of the crosstown series at the Cell. One of the funniest things I've ever seen at the park.

ja1022
12-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Aside from baseball, one of the more entertaining things I observed at Cellmiskey was an acquaintance who had too many beers trying to navigate up and down the upper deck stairs. He was having a helluva time trying to maintain his equilibrium and not spill his beer, bang into the handrails or miss a step. Fortunately, he never fell off the side of that mountain.

Chisox003
12-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Hawk & DJ fights are always hilarious...They can go innings without anything spoken, just silence...Or the game DJ ate paper, hilarious

I also work at Sox games and being there game after game I get to see some pretty funny stuff....Last summer I saw and overheard some of the funniest things--most are totally unexpected (much like the fight between the 2 old guys a few posts ago)...Its unbelievable some of the things that happen there

Jjav829
12-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Hawk & DJ fights are always hilarious...They can go innings without anything spoken, just silence...Or the game DJ ate paper, hilarious

While this isn't ballpark related, I still love the Hawk and DJ moment that came in game 2 of the series at Montreal. It was the game where Arnie Munoz got rocked in his debut, surrendering 11 runs in 3 innings, yet the Sox still managed to score 14 runs and make it a close game. Somewhere around the 4th inning or so DJ asks Hawk, "Wanna hear a joke?" Hawk reluctantly agreed, and DJ proceeds to say, "What did the snail say while riding on the tortoise's back?" Hawk gives in and DJ responds, "Weeeeeee!" He proceeded to say "Weeee" a handful of times. I remember those of us in the chat were speculating that both of them were hammered/stoned because of the way they were talking. Probably the announcing moment of 2004.

soltrain21
12-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Esteban made those comments after he was traded to the Yankees. It was crazy because he was 10th in the league in run support at the time.

The funniest moment for me was the last home game of the year. Gload was starting the game and I was flipping out. I told my friends Gload was going to go yard the first at bat and I bet them all money. People around me were getting a kick out of my stupidity towards Ross Gload.

He hit a bomb in his first at bat and I made a couple bucks, and had the satisfaction of watching Gload hit a dinger.

Daver
12-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Terry Beavington making the signal to the pen when he had exactly 0 pitchers making warm up tosses.

soxfan43
12-28-2004, 08:49 PM
haha the bev, what a terrible manager.

Chisox003
12-28-2004, 09:34 PM
While this isn't ballpark related, I still love the Hawk and DJ moment that came in game 2 of the series at Montreal. It was the game where Arnie Munoz got rocked in his debut, surrendering 11 runs in 3 innings, yet the Sox still managed to score 14 runs and make it a close game. Somewhere around the 4th inning or so DJ asks Hawk, "Wanna hear a joke?" Hawk reluctantly agreed, and DJ proceeds to say, "What did the snail say while riding on the tortoise's back?" Hawk gives in and DJ responds, "Weeeeeee!" He proceeded to say "Weeee" a handful of times. I remember those of us in the chat were speculating that both of them were hammered/stoned because of the way they were talking. Probably the announcing moment of 2004.
HA!!! I remember this!! Ill always remember the time in 2003 when the Red Sox came to town and John Burkett started for Boston....The Sox were on their way to a huge bottom of the 1st when Magglio hit a line drive down the Right field line, hit the bottom of the foul pole, but was called a ground rule double....Hawk kept saying it was a HR but DJ argued that it hit hadnt hit the pole....What an argument! It lasted for about an inning, and then they didnt talk to each other the rest of the night!

santo=dorf
12-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Terry Beavington making the signal to the pen when he had exactly 0 pitchers making warm up tosses.
Beat me to it.

Ozzie did something similar when he signalled for a right hander when he wanted Damaso Marte.

My favorite had to be when the Sox were in the middle of a 7 game win streak in 2003, and were losing to the Devil Rays on a Saturday night. Porzio was terrible, and Sandy Alomar hit a 3 run homer to bring the Sox back in the game. Frank was on second with two outs when Maggs hit a blooper, but Frank waited for the ball to land before running. Hawk went nuts saying; "Come on Frank! DAMN! THERE'S TWO OUTS!" Frank somehow scored on the play but Hawk was furious. A couple week later during a Monday night home game against the Royals, Frank was on second, and Carl Everett was on first. The cameras showed Carl at first and then Carl screamed loud enough for the audience at home; "FRANK! THERE'S TWO OUTS YOU DUMB (or deaf) MOTHER****ER!"

:rolling:

mike squires
12-28-2004, 10:37 PM
I remember being 13 or so and listening to Chet Coppock on WMAQ. He wa interviewing Jesse "The Body" Ventura. It was getting close to the end of the show and the start of the game. When Chet pointed this out Jsse said somehing to the effect of, "You mean to tell me we have to stop talking because of the Sox, who listens to the Sox? He said it a couple times.

mike squires
12-28-2004, 10:40 PM

I also work at Sox games and being there game after game I get to see some pretty funny stuff....Last summer I saw and overheard some of the funniest things--most are totally unexpected (much like the fight between the 2 old guys a few posts ago)...Its unbelievable some of the things that happen there
Hey Chisox03, what is your first name? Would you say most Witesox vendors are Sox fans or is it just a job for them? Just curious.

AnkleSox
12-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I was at a game this past summer and the kiss cam was going around the stadium during a break between innings. Everything was going fine with a bunch of cutesy couples and the obligatory old couple kissing for the camera. Then, the jumbotron focused in on a young couple, and the guy reached for his girlfriend, everyone expecting just another plain old kiss. Instead, he took his girlfriend's head and stuck it right in his lap. The camera quickly jumped away from the scene but not before the whole crowd erupted in laughter. :D:

santo=dorf
12-28-2004, 11:01 PM
I was at a game this past summer and the kiss cam was going around the stadium during a break between innings. Everything was going fine with a bunch of cutesy couples and the obligatory old couple kissing for the camera. Then, the jumbotron focused in on a young couple, and the guy reached for his girlfriend, everyone expecting just another plain old kiss. Instead, he took his girlfriend's head and stuck it right in his lap. The camera quickly jumped away from the scene but not before the whole crowd erupted in laughter. :D:
I was there!

I also saw a guy make out with two girls at the same time.

duke of dorwood
12-28-2004, 11:55 PM
:moron

I may have just got in the top 5 today

Chisox003
12-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Hey Chisox03, what is your first name? Would you say most Witesox vendors are Sox fans or is it just a job for them? Just curious.
Theres actually plenty of Cub fans that are vendors, but Id say a few more Sox fans...Theres also the ones who want absolutely no part of baseball or the games and just work there because they have the oppurtunity to...

awesomefan
12-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Ozzie dancing in the dugout was so funny they show it on a commercial now.

It didn't happen at Comiskey, but the funniest thing I thought of was when Carlos Lee got the back of his uniform stuck on the Red Sox score board & was just hanging there laughing his butt off.

I'll always love El Caballo

Foulke You
12-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Hahaha...I was at that game. A moment that certainly must have made the Sox rethink the kiss cam idea.:D: