PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers the Doug Ault game?

Bisco Stu
12-28-2004, 12:01 AM
I do

TORONTO -- Doug Ault, who hit two home runs in the first game in Toronto Blue Jays history in 1977, died at 54.
He died at his home in Tarpon Springs, Fla., a few miles from the Blue Jays' spring training quarters in Dunedin, the team said Monday. The club provided no further details about his death.

With a snow storm in Toronto and a cold wind blowing off Lake Ontario, Ault homered twice in the Blue Jays' 9-4 victory over the Chicago White Sox on April 7, 1977. Before 44,649 chilled fans at Exhibition Stadium, Ault hit home runs off Ken Brett, the first a solo shot and the second a two-run homer.

robertks61
12-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I remember watching it on TV, snow on the field and the White Sox losing to an expansion team.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2004, 01:32 PM
I have the TV video of him hitting the first of his two opening day home runs. It was sliced right down the right field line and just made it over the fence. He hit it off Ken Brett.

But remember the fact that the Sox banged out 19 hits including a monster home run by Richie Zisk (which I also have the video of). It was the start of the 'Southside Hit Men.'

Lip

Interlake
12-28-2004, 02:38 PM
I seem to recall from the broadcast that Harry was very irritated that they were not selling beer at Exhibition Stadium that day.

Medford Bobby
12-28-2004, 03:17 PM
:(: I wonder if there is any TV tape of that WSNS telecast:(: .....or maybe the Canadian TV feed made a copy of that ballgame. I rememeber watching that game as well...I'm sure a radio copy of WMAQ is floating around somewhere. That was Doug Ault's career as a Blue Jay was what he did in that Opening game...:whiner:

Ozzballfest
12-28-2004, 03:53 PM
ESPN is reporting Ault shot himself in the head.

Not that it matters much, but he only hit 15 more homers the rest of his career.

soxwon
12-28-2004, 05:40 PM
i have the audio of the game on casette.

TommyJohn
12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
ESPN is reporting Ault shot himself in the head.

Not that it matters much, but he only hit 15 more homers the rest of his career.
I saw one of them. It was in Comiskey Park in 1977. The White Sox were
winning in the top of the 9th 4-0 when Ault stepped up to the plate and
ripped a line shot home run into the right centerfield stands. The White
Sox held on to win, 4-2.

I just looked the game up on www.retrosheet.org (http://www.retrosheet.org). The shot came off of
Bruce Del Canton. The game was on April 17, a Sunday. The reason I
can remember it is because it is the first home run that I recall seeing
in person. (Gorman Thomas hit one in a 1975 game I was at, and I believe
I may have witnessed a Dick Allen home run, but I have no recall. Ault's
HR was the first I can clearly see in my head.) I remember being in awe
of the fact that the home run shot out of the park so fast, that it didn't
float out of there, like they always seemed to do on TV.

MikeW
12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
I remember the game very well, although I didn't see it. My idea was to go play the expansion Jays and start off the season with an easy win,Ooops. An ironic note, Ken Brett died a year or two ago and Ault recently. I must be getting old, too many players that I remember playing are passing on. Willie Crawford, John Cerrutti,Chuck Hiller, Tom Haller and two ex Sox; Ray Boone and Bob Boyd and of course Ken Caminiti and Reggie White.

mike squires
12-28-2004, 10:57 PM
What happened to Cerrutti? I sightly recall his passing but I can't remember how?

I remember it really effected me when Bo Diaz died. I wasn't fan or hisor anything but I took it hard for some reason...

MikeW
12-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Cerrutti was found dead in his hotel room. I think he was broadcaster with the Blue Jays and when he didn't show up they became concerned. I believe he was only 44 years old.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2004, 09:52 AM
It snowed the day of the game. I remember an image of a Sox player moving around the field with baseball bats taped to his shoes as if they were skis. :cool:

Lip Man 1
12-29-2004, 12:05 PM
From Eric Soderholm's interview with WSI:

ML: The Sox introduced baseball to Canada by playing the Blue Jays on Opening Day You lost 9-5, but in brutal conditions, rapped out fifteen hits. Was that where the "Southside Hit Men" mentality started? That it didnít matter who was pitching or the conditions, that you guys could hit.

ES: "I think so. I remember Richie hit a blast and we felt pretty good about things. I remember it was snowing so hard that I had trouble picking up the white ball against that background. Doug Ault hit a shot that caught me deep, deep in the pocket of my glove. I knocked the ball down and threw him out but I spent the rest of that game praying that nobody hit any balls to me. I thought my hand was broken, it hurt so much because of the cold.

Lip