PDA

View Full Version : What place will the Sox finish in 2005?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm polling you guys on where the Sox and Cubs will finish in 2005 (Cubs poll is under Talking Baseball).

As of right now (12/27), where do you think the White Sox will finish in the AL Central?

Potential starting lineup (nothing official, just something I threw together);

1) Scott Podsednik - LF
2) Aaron Rowand - CF
3) Frank Thomas - DH
4) Paul Konerko - 1B
5) Jermaine Dye - RF
6) Juan Uribe - SS
7) Joe Crede - 3B
8) Willie Harris - 2B
9) Ben Davis - C

Potential starting rotation;

1) Mark Buehrle
2) Freddy Garcia
3) Orlando Hernandez
4) Jose Contreras
5) Jon Garland

soltrain21
12-27-2004, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't be a fan of my team if I didn't say first.

NowBatting19
12-27-2004, 11:11 PM
1st place.....I wouldn't have it any other way.

dangler
12-27-2004, 11:12 PM
Sixth. :redneck

Lip Man 1
12-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Who is to go against history? 83 wins...2nd place (again...)

Lip

SouthSideHitman
12-27-2004, 11:46 PM
I said first because it's December and I couldn't take it if I had no hope for this year. That being said, I hope the days of calling out the Twins are over. They've gone out three years in a row and made us look foolish, even last year after we did so well against them at first, so let's really start doing something before we start hoisting the Pennant.

HomeFish
12-27-2004, 11:50 PM
I think the Tribe can slip past us with our weakened offense. The Tigers will also threaten to put us into fourth, but I'm feeling optimistic. Third place is my bet.

zach074
12-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Were "totally biased" what do you expect! :tongue:

1st place it is.

RKMeibalane
12-28-2004, 01:40 AM
I honestly don't know. Much will depend on whether Thomas makes it back in time for the start of the season, or if he has to join the team at a later date.

MUsoxfan
12-28-2004, 01:41 AM
I honestly don't know. Much will depend on whether Thomas makes it back in time for the start of the season, or if he has to join the team at a later date.

Thomas helps, but I think the biggest telltale sign is how Podsednik plays the first month of the year. He can really help this team get on track if he turns singles and walks into doubles on a consistent basis

Jabroni
12-28-2004, 01:42 AM
I think the Tribe can slip past us with our weakened offense. The Tigers will also threaten to put us into fourth, but I'm feeling optimistic. Third place is my bet.The Tigers? With what? Their great pitching rotation?

Chrisaway
12-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Every year before the season I predict the Sox and Cardinals to be in the world series. Lo and behold I got one of em right last year. Let this year be no different. Go Sox!!!

DaleJRFan
12-28-2004, 02:10 AM
I think the Tribe can slip past us with our weakened offense. The Tigers will also threaten to put us into fourth, but I'm feeling optimistic. Third place is my bet.
What major moves have the Tigers made? They signed Percival. Yey. Tigers will be 500 at best. The Indians are a year older with their youngsters, but still have a lot of question marks in terms of their pitching staff. The Royals are still the same miserable squad they were last year, minus the aging Santiago and Gonzalez. They may have added Lima, but with one solid #3 guy and 4 #5s, what can be accomplished? The Twins will always find a way to win, and with the emergence of some key players last year into Stardom... Santana, Hunter, etc... realistically, the Twins should be the only battle for the Sox.

Again, as the case has been for the past 5-6 years, the White Sox have NO excuses and NO reasons as to why they cannot and should not run away with the Central division.

Cowch44
12-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Every year before the season I predict the Sox and Cardinals to be in the world series. Lo and behold I got one of em right last year. Let this year be no different. Go Sox!!!
It technically was right.:D:

FarWestChicago
12-28-2004, 03:25 AM
The Tigers? With what? Their great pitching rotation?Why would you respond to a FOLIP like Homefish? He lives to know people read his chronic depressive drivel. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Whitesoxtom
12-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see us finishing higher than 3rd.

Way to many question marks. Was Podsednik a fluke his rookie year? Will El Duque last the entire season? Will Dye stay off the DL? Is Rowand a bonafide star? Can Shingo produce another great season?

I hope I am wrong, but I don't have a very good feeling about the upcoming season.

OEO Magglio
12-28-2004, 04:42 AM

Way to many question marks. Was Podsednik a fluke his rookie year? Will El Duque last the entire season? Will Dye stay off the DL? Is Rowand a bonafide star? Can Shingo produce another great season?

I hope I am wrong, but I don't have a very good feeling about the upcoming season.
There is no way imo that this team finishes lower then 2nd. Now obviously 2nd is something to be excited about but I'm just saying that there is no way cleveland will have a better record then teh sox, the tribe will have less wins then last year. Anways, I think the sox will win the division, beat the twins by 5 or so games with no one else even close to being in the running.

Mickster
12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Shocking!

ja1022
12-28-2004, 09:36 AM
I don't see any chance of them finishing sixth. In fact I'm going out on a limb here, but I can't see any scenario where the Sox wind up worse than fifth in this division.

eshunn2001
12-28-2004, 12:00 PM
We would not be the White Sox if we did not finish 2nd.

DaveIsHere
12-28-2004, 02:08 PM
They will be a WS winner this year, I can feel it, but than again aI feel that every year, but they will take the division at least

HITMEN OF 77
12-28-2004, 02:22 PM
1st place without a doubt.

fquaye149
12-28-2004, 02:58 PM
I voted for first, although I'm not holding my breath for it. I think this team CAN compete for first, so I'll say it.

However, I think anyone who predicts that Cleveland with that JOKE of a staff (I am including their bullpen) they have is going to pass us needs to either stop being a crazy masochist or start following a new team.

Yes, anything can happen in a season, but there's no reason to EXPECT them to finish ahead of us.

soxnut
12-28-2004, 03:08 PM
For me, I'm excited to see what this team is going to do with the changes that have been made. I love the changes, and KW has molded the team to how I would want this team to be. It is going to be interesting. I don't think the Sox trading Lee will be the result of less wins, but more wins. Therefore, I predict first place.

Tekijawa
12-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Bold Prediction: someone from the White Sox other than Buehrle and Garcia will win the Cy Young award this year... you heard it here first!

tstrike2000
12-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Lest we forget the Cardinals actually have the money to keep some of their players locked in and aren't owned by anyone named Reinsdorf.

tstrike2000
12-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Bold Prediction: someone from the White Sox other than Buehrle and Garcia will win the Cy Young award this year... you heard it here first!
I think you need a stronger word than Bold.

chaz171
12-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Every Year I pick them first. The Last few years, my wife became so concerned with my disposition in the fall, She had the Gas stove replaced with electric and took the outlets out of the bathroom when I kept walking in with the Toaster.

chaz171
12-28-2004, 05:19 PM
I think you need a stronger word than Bold.

or a different word like insane...

Whitesox029
12-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Haha it never ceases to amaze me. We're always generally negative, but when we're put to poll we vote in favor of first place. :D:
No complaints!

MrRoboto83
12-28-2004, 07:51 PM
1st Place no doubt about it, pitching wins:gulp:

soxnut
12-28-2004, 11:39 PM
1st Place no doubt about it, pitching wins:gulp:

DOMO!:gulp:

MRKARNO
12-28-2004, 11:41 PM
We'll win if Frank stays relatively healthy, which I think he will.

duke of dorwood
12-28-2004, 11:53 PM
:moron

FIRST !!!!!!

I was denied unemployment

Whitesox029
12-28-2004, 11:57 PM

I hope I am wrong, but I don't have a very good feeling about the upcoming season. If the answers to your questions are no, yes, yes, yes and yes respectively, then we're in good shape aren't we?

Hitmen77
12-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Who is to go against history? 83 wins...2nd place (again...)

Lip
I have to agree. My prediciton is 2nd place. Our team looks average at best. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/sad.gif

Hangar18
12-29-2004, 04:51 PM
This pitching staff with 2003 Hitting wins Division and Very Good Shot at Pennant. This pitching staff and 2002 Hitting wins Division and chance at Pennant. This staff without the hitting ....... well, were a pretty good team.
But we dont win the division. HOWEVER, if they add that Japanese infielder, and the guy surprises and HITS ...........

eastchicagosoxfan
12-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Pitching and defense win championships. In the Central Division, the Sox have improved enough in both areas to win the division.

Lip Man 1
12-29-2004, 08:42 PM
East:

And then what happens...?

Lip

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 09:14 PM
East:

And then what happens...?

Lip
I think most here would be happy with a central division championship seeing that we havent won it since 2000, though definitely not content with it. If we win the central division, it will be on the strength of our pitching and Buerhle, Garcia and the better two of Contreras, El Duque and Garland should give us a realistic shot of advancing a round or two. Let's worry about that when we get there though. You have to make the playoffs before you can start talking about how we'll actually do in them.

Daver
12-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Pitching and defense win championships. In the Central Division, the Sox have improved enough in both areas to win the division.
The Sox have improved in defense where?

santo=dorf
12-29-2004, 09:17 PM
The Sox have improved in defense where?
Outfield.

I'm also looking forwards to Uribe being our shortstop than Valentin(e.)

Daver
12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Outfield.

How?

Maggs was not a gold glover, but he was above average, Jermaine Dye is not his superior, and Podniesak is as much of a hack as Carlos Lee.

Uribe will struggle to turn a double play as well as Valentin did, he may have less errors, but also has less range, and with Uribe at short you have Willie at second, which basically negates what little you might gain from having Uribe at short.

The Sox should really sign a lousy defensive catcher with a mediocre OBP to round this all out.

MRKARNO
12-29-2004, 09:32 PM
The Sox should really sign a lousy defensive catcher with a mediocre OBP to round this all out. :tealpolice:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2004, 09:36 PM
How?

Maggs was not a gold glover, but he was above average, Jermaine Dye is not his superior, and Podniesak is as much of a hack as Carlos Lee.

Uribe will struggle to turn a double play as well as Valentin did, he may have less errors, but also has less range, and with Uribe at short you have Willie at second, which basically negates what little you might gain from having Uribe at short.

The Sox should really sign a lousy defensive catcher with a mediocre OBP to round this all out.
You forgot somebody.
:cool:

:crede
"What am I, chopped liver?"

fquaye149
12-30-2004, 02:14 AM
How?

Well, in the strictest sense, we HAVE improved, if even slightly. You're right to say Maggs was not a gold-glover and neither is Dye. However, Dye is known for his arm (which is nice to have in right) and Maggs was average for a leftfielder's arm, let alone a rightfielder.

Podsednik may be as average as Carlos Lee (scouting reports seem to conflict...though when I've seen him play he looked comparable to Lee in regards to not misplaying balls, getting mediocre jumps, and not having a very good arm). However, he certainly has more speed than Lee at the position, and while speed isn't everything in the outfield, and in fact is very little, it can be an edge, all things being equal.

The point is, our outfield seems to be marginally upgraded, and our infield seems to be about a wash with last year's, at least, w/o Pierzynski butchering the catcher position.

JKryl
12-30-2004, 10:38 AM
How can a fan not say first during the preseason? Let reality rear its ugly head later.

fuzzy_patters
12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
I really do not think this edition of the Whit Sox will be better than the past two. However, the Twins cannot continue to catch lightning in a bottle. Their luck is bound to run out sooner or later, and I predict it will be this year. The Sox will win a lousy division with a lousy baseball team.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 12:15 PM
How can a fan not say first during the preseason? Let reality rear its ugly head later.
It's self preservation. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed when they win 82 or 83 games. With that said, I would love to be wrong.

FedEx227
12-30-2004, 12:30 PM
First no doubt....that pitching staff is one of the best in the AL.

And as long as we can produce SOME amount of runs we shouldn't have a big problem against the Twins (Their luck has to run out...doesn't IT?)

Also, not worried about Indians/Tigers their pitching staffs are laughable outside of Jake Westbrook.

fquaye149
12-30-2004, 12:53 PM
And as long as we can produce SOME amount of runs we shouldn't have a big problem against the Twins (Their luck has to run out...doesn't IT?)

Also, not worried about Indians/Tigers their pitching staffs are laughable outside of Jake Westbrook.
eh...we say that every year though...although this time i think we have the most complete team we've had in years.

by the way..anyone who's afraid of the indians/tigers, you might as well be afraid that the hale-bopp comet is really a spaceship.

I want Mags back
01-01-2005, 07:18 PM
I think we can do it without Big Frank. Remember, we're based around pitching and speed now

I want Mags back
01-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't see any chance of them finishing sixth. In fact I'm going out on a limb here, but I can't see any scenario where the Sox wind up worse than fifth in this division.
Nice post. I didn't have the balls to say that at first but now I do. Whoever made this thread is most likely a fan of a team in the only division with 6, the NL CENTRAL, dunt dunt dunt

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 07:50 PM
"Prove it." Boston's pitching was good but their defense was almost awful. They won as much by beating the living hraka out of other people's pitching, including the Yankees and the Cardinals, as they did with pitching and certainly not with defense (cough, Manny Ramirez, cough).

There is no magic subset of baseball that wins championships except for one: wins. Wins win championships. Wins come from runs. A run scored is the same as a run allowed.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 07:54 PM
eh...we say that every year though...although this time i think we have the most complete team we've had in years.

Bravo, fquaye149!

On MLB's web site is a season preview. On that preview site they gave the Twinkies an 8 of 10 for their offseason because they didn't let Radke get away. Of course, they let their third baseman get away, resigned Rivas, acquired some really terrible backup players, overpaid Jacque Jones, and have done nothing else, but they get an "8".

I think we've finally reached the point where the Twins are acting overconfidently and everyone else believes they can't make a mistake.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 08:10 PM
The point is, our outfield seems to be marginally upgraded, and our infield seems to be about a wash with last year's, at least, w/o Pierzynski butchering the catcher position.
I freakin' cannot believe this. A year ago, Pierzynski was called "one of the league's best behind the plate" (ESPN) and a "good catcher" (Baseball Prospectus). Now, one year later, after a cheap-shot early-season article in the Oakland Tribune and problems with San Francisco's underchiever team assembled by a judgement-impaired GM, he's been demoted to "butcher". Get a grip, folks.

How did he "butcher" the catching position, fquaye? Was it the single error he committed last season? The 9 whole passed balls he was charged with? The 51 stolen bases allowed in 1022 innings, one every two and a quarter games? He's not I-Rod, but come on. He also ain't Piazza.

Here's what I think happened. The Twins traded Pierzynski to the Giants for multiple players to save money and let Joe Mauer catch. Being the classy organization they were, they started a whisper campaign about what a jerk AJ was -- kind of like the Cubbies did about Garland after Karchner flamed out. Some Oakland reporter heard the whisper campaign and wrote a poison piece about him in APRIL which was later repudiated by his teammates. Sheesh.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
2nd place behind the twins again.

Bisco Stu
01-02-2005, 03:30 AM
4th, only ahead of KC. Going into the 05 with the lowest expectations of any season since 2000.Hopefully we'll be the surprise of the AL like in 00, but I can't expect it.

jlim
01-02-2005, 03:51 AM
1st.

If this pitching staff can't win the central, I will be sad.

OEO Magglio
01-02-2005, 04:08 AM
4th, only ahead of KC. Going into the 05 with the lowest expectations of any season since 2000.Hopefully we'll be the surprise of the AL like in 00, but I can't expect it.
If the sox finish 4th I'll buy you a new house :cool:

SoxFan76
01-02-2005, 09:55 AM
If the sox finish 4th I'll buy you a new house :cool:Mental note....Bookmark this post for future reference....:tongue:

soxstarter
01-02-2005, 11:29 AM
:bundy Need you even ask??????? 1st of course

voodoochile
01-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I refuse to vote for any place but 1st before ST even starts.

I'm done being a realist about my predictions. All or nothing from the heart.

GO SOX! First Pennant in 46 years...:bandance:

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
All I know is something crazy will happen. For four years now, we've finished just behind the Twins with no other competition (save for the 01 Indians who of course finished first). It's been stale for too long, either we finally win it, we tank bad, or someone really unexpected wins it.

JUribe1989
01-02-2005, 01:30 PM
I took a look at the projected lineups for all of the AL central teams on MLB.Com. They had a very cool 2005 season in preview for every team. The Sox rotation and lineup looked so much better than the Twins. The Indians had some better hitters in their lineup, but their pitching is still the same. Don't get me wrong CC Sabathia is great, but I don't think that Cliff Lee or Jake Westbrook could stay too consistent. Not to mention that Jason Davis and Scott Elarton finish off the rotation. I think the Tigers will be good pretty soon, not next year though.

OEO Magglio
01-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I took a look at the projected lineups for all of the AL central teams on MLB.Com. They had a very cool 2005 season in preview for every team. The Sox rotation and lineup looked so much better than the Twins. The Indians had some better hitters in their lineup, but their pitching is still the same. Don't get me wrong CC Sabathia is great, but I don't think that Cliff Lee or Jake Westbrook could stay too consistent. Not to mention that Jason Davis and Scott Elarton finish off the rotation. I think the Tigers will be good pretty soon, not next year though.
Expect Clevelands offense to score far less runs this year. They lost Lawton and Vizquel and those guys were always on base, sure they had some guys in the middle of the order who were outstanding but a lot of those guys had career years. I'm not worried about the Indians at all this year, I still think they finish will less win then they had last year.

fquaye149
01-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I refuse to vote for any place but 1st before ST even starts.

I'm done being a realist about my predictions. All or nothing from the heart.

GO SOX! First Pennant in 46 years...:bandance: :hawk

"Voodoochile... YES!"

White Sox Randy
01-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Cleveland lost Vizquel and has a rookie ss. Martinez, Hafner and Lawton will not repeat their seasons and their bullpen is still weak.

Twins have lost Koskie and Guzman and will have rookies there.

White Sox will be in the playoffs in 2005.

2005 Prediction : no playoffs for the Red Sox .

johnny_mostil
01-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Cleveland lost Vizquel and has a rookie ss. Martinez, Hafner and Lawton will not repeat their seasons and their bullpen is still weak.

Even if Lawton does repeat his season, it won't matter because he's a Pirate now.:wink:

johnny_mostil
01-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I took a look at the projected lineups for all of the AL central teams on MLB.Com. They had a very cool 2005 season in preview for every team. The Sox rotation and lineup looked so much better than the Twins.
The Twins are getting the benefit of the doubt because they have a history of turning lemons into lemonade.

konerko1413
01-02-2005, 09:53 PM
i truley believe 1st place, but ive truley believed 1st place for the last 3 years, i guess all we can do is wait

markopat
01-02-2005, 10:54 PM
This is some quality reading! I moved to Phoenix 2 years ago from Rockford, a lifelong SOX fan (over 35 years)...Now I am stuck listening to the suicidal D-Back and Cardinal fans on the local AM airwaves...

Though I rarely post...You people, this site, and your posts have saved me!!

Thank you all!

Brian26
01-02-2005, 10:56 PM
No reason not to be positive this early. I'll say 1st place. :D: