PDA

View Full Version : What place will the Cubs finish in 2005?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm polling you guys about both the Sox and Cubs (Sox is under Clubhouse).

Pretty simple poll, as of right now, where do you see the Cubs finishing?

This is their projected starting lineup (nothing official I just threw it together);

1) Corey Patterson - CF
2) Nomar Garciapara - SS
3) Aramis Ramirez - 3B
4) Derek Lee - 1B
5) Sammy Sosa - RF
6) Todd Hollandsworth - LF
7) Michael Barrett - C
8) Todd Walker - 2B
9) Pitcher

...starting rotation;
1) Mark Prior
2) Kerry Wood
3) Greg Maddux
4) Carlos Zambrano
5) Glendon Rusch

batmanZoSo
12-27-2004, 10:08 PM
I'm polling you guys about both the Sox and Cubs (Sox is under Clubhouse).

Pretty simple poll, as of right now, where do you see the Cubs finishing?

This is their projected starting lineup (nothing official I just threw it together);

1) Corey Patterson - CF
2) Nomar Garciapara - SS
3) Aramis Ramirez - 3B
4) Derek Lee - 1B
5) Sammy Sosa - RF
6) Todd Hollandsworth - LF
7) Michael Barrett - C
8) Todd Walker - 2B
9) Pitcher

...starting rotation;
1) Mark Prior
2) Kerry Wood
3) Greg Maddux
4) Carlos Zambrano
5) Glendon Rusch First, who knows? They might have Beltran by then. It's a crap shoot on April 3rd, let alone in late December when god knows what can go down in the way of roster changes by then. Even for preliminary polls it's too early I think.

Second, and not to disrespect your post, but who cares? That's just how I feel. Let them exist in their own perfect world. I only think about them 6 days a year. Thirteen if the unthinkable ever happens (actually ten, I'm sure we'd sweep). :cool:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I care. I'm a baseball fan and I watch Cubs baseball. I loved the atmosphere and their announcers. Don't get me wrong, while I'm watching I am cheering AGAINST them, but it's fun.

NowBatting19
12-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I think with Carlos Lee, the Brewers are going to take the division. At least I hope so...anyways, Cubs take 2nd. (The first losers :tongue: ).

MUsoxfan
12-27-2004, 11:13 PM
I think with Carlos Lee, the Brewers are going to take the division. At least I hope so...anyways, Cubs take 2nd. (The first losers :tongue: ).

Teal?? I LOVE the Brewers, but I don't see them finishing higher than 4th. They're a contender 3 years from now with the new ownership in place.

NowBatting19
12-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, teal is in order...haha

I_Liked_Manuel
12-28-2004, 02:13 AM
they still havent fixed the 2 problems- speed and the bullpen. you would think that having a bullpen that has absolutely killed you for 2 years now would propell you towards fixing it.......but no. hell, even kenny would fix it.

OEO Magglio
12-28-2004, 02:23 AM
As of right now I think they finish 2nd behind the cards. If the 'stros resign beltran expect Roger to also comeback and I'd say the flubs drop down to 3rd in the nl central, jmo.

DumpJerry
12-28-2004, 06:38 AM
The team chemistry stinks like rotten eggs and Dusty is rusty. They will self-destruct.

SOXSINCE'70
12-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Carlos Lee is God!!:D: :D: :D:

34 Inch Stick
12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
The bullpen is worse than it was last year with the loss of Merker. If Hawkins is the closer for a full year, they are in trouble. That starting staff is excellent. However the loss of Alou will be significant. Hollandsworth is a good bench player but I expect his numbers to dip significantly in full time status.

They will again finish in 2nd place and fight for a wild card spot.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2004, 12:47 PM
2nd place around 86-90 wins.

Lip

Mohoney
12-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Teal?? I LOVE the Brewers, but I don't see them finishing higher than 4th. They're a contender 3 years from now with the new ownership in place.
Not if we have Ben Sheets by then

Blueprint1
12-28-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't care as long as it isnt first place.

MRKARNO
12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
First, Second, third or fourth, with a much better chance at finishing second than 1st, 3rd or 4th. The Cards are just too strong despite losing Womack, Matheny and Renteria. They didnt change much and can win 100 games again with Mulder in the fold and a healthy Matt Morris. If the Astros get Beltran AND Clemens, then I would say they could be 2nd, but otherwise I dont see it. The Brew Crew might make a surprise run. The Cubs wont finish worse than 4th under any circumstances that are currently foreseeable. If I had to pick one, I'd say 2nd is the most likely with a very good chance at the Wild Card

Whitesox029
12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
First, who knows? They might have Beltran by then. It's a crap shoot on April 3rd, let alone in late December when god knows what can go down in the way of roster changes by then. Even for preliminary polls it's too early I think.

Second, and not to disrespect your post, but who cares? That's just how I feel. Let them exist in their own perfect world. I only think about them 6 days a year. Thirteen if the unthinkable ever happens (actually ten, I'm sure we'd sweep). :cool: As everything currently stands, (best case, assuming Beltran signs back with Houston and Sosa stays on the North side with Maggs signing anywhere but the Cubs) they're a cinch for 3rd place. They have made absolutely zero ground in the improvement category since the last day of the season, only having lost Matt Clement and Moises Alou, which probably isn't a good thing for them. Houston lost Wade Miller, but I think they'll survive if they can sign Beltran (I heard that if Beltran signs, so will Clemens). St. Louis is going to win 100 games again, having only a small downgrade in losing Renteria and gaining Eckstein, plus a huge upgrade in trading for Mark Mulder. More power to them. I really like the way that team plays baseball and I think they're the example the Sox should be modeling themselves after.
If I waS going to pick a surprise team from that division I'd be more inclined to go with Cincy. They've made significant improvements in their rotation, as well as signing Joe Randa. I'm not saying they have a chance to win the division, but they have the best chance of sending the Cubs to the wondrous land of 4th place.

slavko
01-01-2005, 02:17 PM
No team speed, questionable defense both IF and OF, bullpen an Achilles heel won't be overcome by starting pitching...unless you're a delusional Cub fan, and every Cub fan that I know is delusional. Heartbreaking losses only make them believe more and more. It's mass psychosis!

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 02:26 PM
First, who knows? They might have Beltran by then.
Yeah, Beltran sure helped the Royals win all those division titles.

StillMissOzzie
01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't care as long as it isnt first place.
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

SMO
:gulp: :bandance:

dcb33
01-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I must be the only one who doesn't think the Cardinals will win 100 games again this year. Carpenter, Suppan, and Marquis all had career years last year that they will unlikely all repeat. Mark Mulder was a great addition if he's indeed healthy. Does anyone know of his status?
Offensively, they lost Renteria and Womack, which is a pretty significant loss, especially if they have to sign Roberto Alomar to play 2B. Let's not forget that Rolen had a ridiculous year as well last year.
I'm not saying the Cardinals will be terrible, but I would be surprised if they won more than 90-95 games next year.
The Astros will be in trouble if they can't sign Beltran and bring Rocket back. If they lose those two, they will have lost Beltran, Clemens, Miller, and Jeff Kent. I can't see them overcoming that, especially when you figure that the Killer B's will be another year older. If the Astros can't bring back Beltran or Clemens, they will be lucky to win 80 games I think.
The Cubs have done nothing to improve their team, if anything they've gone backwards. Anyone who believes that Rusch and Hollandsworth will be able to take the place of Clement and Alou (or at least they Alou of the 1st half of last year) is only fooling themselves. I wonder what the Over/Under for K's from their three outfielders would be... 400? They still have garbage in the bullpen, and the lack of a true closer will kill them. I wonder On the upside if Nomar is healthy he will be a definite improvement at SS, and Todd Walker is an upgrade at 2B. I think they'll win 85-90 games, as they have done for the last two seasons with this team, but I think it's more possible that they would finish under this range than over.
I think the Cubs will finsish 2nd if the Astros fail to bring back Beltran and Clemens. If the Astros do, then it will be a dogfight for 2nd.

veeter
01-01-2005, 10:38 PM
I know this: the already inconsistent Kerry Wood is having night sweats thinking about C. Lee. The Cubs will finish third, sandwiched between Houston and Milwaukee. (can't decide which one of those will be second or fourth.) Grady Little is waiting in the wings for Dusty's job. The Trib doesn't take kindly to the fuzziness being rubbed off the baby bears. Dusty's created a disfunctional family and his leash has been shortened. The Cubs were five outs from the world series... now lightyears.

Mickster
01-01-2005, 11:41 PM
On the second page and I can't believe it hasn't already been said......

:whocares

soltrain21
01-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I care. My summer days are spent cheering against the Cubs, and my summer nights are spent cheering for the White Sox.

crector
01-02-2005, 01:14 AM
4th place.

I like a lot of the moves that Cincinnati has made this offseason, including the Eric Milton signing. And the Brewers under its new ownership have been doing well too although I don't expect them to even reach .500 this season.

Fredsox
01-02-2005, 05:53 AM
What did they fix that was broken? Nothing, they're largely status-quo. Poor Kerry Wood is always subject to injury with that violent pitching motion of his, and frankly I don't see them moving Steroid Boy to anyone soon and his production will continue to go downward (soooo poetic.....). This also means they will not sign Beltran (look for Ordonez to be in Cubbie Blue).

This is a team that will provide my wife and I with many hours of enjoyment as we watch the Astros and the Cards pummel them. Despite their wonderful starting pitching, this team will finish 5+ over .500.

cubhater
01-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Seventh place!:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-02-2005, 08:49 AM
On the second page and I can't believe it hasn't already been said......

Ditto.

Thank God we have a separate board for handling this Flubbie-obsessed nonsense.
:redface:

soxstarter
01-02-2005, 10:34 AM
:corker Who cares as long as Sammy entertains us.

JKryl
01-02-2005, 11:11 PM
We can only hope for the worst.:whiner:

:bundy White Sox baseball, every day an adventure!

OurBitchinMinny
01-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Carlos Lee is God!!:D: :D: :D:
hes not, but hes way better than posednik. There is too much focus on the cubs here on this site IMO. But ill play. On paper they are better than us (cant say that too often). But as we know games arent played on paper, they are played in televison sets

doublem23
01-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Scott Podsednik better than Carlos Lee? :rolleyes:

Hangar18
01-04-2005, 01:52 PM
They will finish in 1st. But I will cheer for them to fall flat on their faces .....