PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Balance Tax

infohawk
12-27-2004, 09:05 PM
The Yankees, Red Sox and Angels have been identified as the only teams that owe the "competitive balance tax" for their 2004 payroll levels. I had a difficult time with the link, but here is the essence of an article I read.

The Yankees owe $25,026,352, Boston owes $3,155,234, and Anaheim owes $927,059.

The Yankees owe -- and can afford to pay -- $25,026,352! That's approximately a third of the White Sox payroll. And the Yankees aren't directly retaining the services of any players for this money. Obviously, the indirect benefit is the higher payroll for which the money is a penalty, but jeeeeeeesh!

MUsoxfan
12-27-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm not crying for any of those 3 teams....ESPECIALLY the Yanks

doublem23
12-27-2004, 09:14 PM
:reinsy
Don't cry for me either; with that money I can finally afford to pay for the gold seat on my toilet.

johnny_mostil
12-27-2004, 09:24 PM
The Yankees owe -- and can afford to pay -- $25,026,352! That's approximately a third of the White Sox payroll. And the Yankees aren't directly retaining the services of any players for this money. Obviously, the indirect benefit is the higher payroll for which the money is a penalty, but jeeeeeeesh!
The Yankees' gross income is something north of four hundred million dollars a year. They play in a monstrous metro area and they have a rabid base of wealthy fans who demand that their cable companies carry YES at any ridiculous license fee. They think a pennant drought is any year they don't win the pennant. Right now they seem to be assembling a team chock full of expensive has-beens, to which I say "more power to you", right after "I pray to God you can't find a way out of the Giambi contract" and "I hope Pavano posts a six-something E.R.A.". The only thing better than seeing the Yankees fall short is knowing they're wasting the GNP of Paraguay doing it.

MUsoxfan
12-27-2004, 09:41 PM
The Yankees' gross income is something north of four hundred million dollars a year. They play in a monstrous metro area and they have a rabid base of wealthy fans who demand that their cable companies carry YES at any ridiculous license fee. They think a pennant drought is any year they don't win the pennant. Right now they seem to be assembling a team chock full of expensive has-beens, to which I say "more power to you", right after "I pray to God you can't find a way out of the Giambi contract" and "I hope Pavano posts a six-something E.R.A.". The only thing better than seeing the Yankees fall short is knowing they're wasting the GNP of Paraguay doing it.

I couldn't have said it better myself

Kogs35
12-27-2004, 10:18 PM
the yankees owe mlb all together 85 mill by jan31

manuelsucks
12-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Amen brother

StillMissOzzie
12-27-2004, 10:46 PM
... right after "I pray to God you can't find a way out of the Giambi contract" and "I hope Pavano posts a six-something E.R.A.". The only thing better than seeing the Yankees fall short is knowing they're wasting the GNP of Paraguay doing it.
I have mixed feelings about the Giambi situation. Sure, I'd be terribly crushed if the Yankees got stuck with the 3 years and multi-gazillions they would owe Giambi, but part of me hopes that the cheating SOB gets his contract renounced to show the rest of the MLBPA that it's time to lay off the juice.

SMO
:gulp:
100% barley juice!

cornball
12-28-2004, 10:26 AM
The sad part is the NYY luxury tax for 2004 is more than Tampa had in payroll per the article quoted.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Johnny:

Just wondering.....why are you upset that the Yankees are actually trying to win and are playing the game under the existing rules in MLB?

Lip

Hitmen77
12-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Here's a link to the AP article (via the Tribune):
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0412280350dec28,1,4430836.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

It looks like the Yankees tax will go up to 40% of their payroll next year.

Where does the luxury tax money go? Is it distributed evenly to all the other owners?

JKryl
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Here's a link to the AP article (via the Tribune):
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0412280350dec28,1,4430836.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

It looks like the Yankees tax will go up to 40% of their payroll next year.

Where does the luxury tax money go? Is it distributed evenly to all the other owners?
An interesting part of the tax is the fact that the percentage increases each time a team has to pay. Therefore, each year a team exceeds the limit, it has to pay a larger penalty. Since the amounts here are not chicken feed, this has to hurt even the mighty Yankees sooner or later.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Next year when the Yankees exceed the limit, the percentage of tax goes up to 40%.

Lip