PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times Front Page on Christmas Day

shbart
12-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Somebody on Brook's staff scored some big points. How great was it to see a kid w/ a Sox cap and T-shirt on the front of the Sun-Times X-Mas morning? No pic, but here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-kidfire25.html

zach074
12-25-2004, 10:59 PM
The white sox do alot for the community. It is a good thing to see.

Rocky Soprano
12-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Did anyone read the Sun-Times on Christmas Day? They had a picture of a kid and his mom celebrating. I guess they had a pretty bad fire and lost a lot. On the picture you see the kid wearing a White Sox hat and received a White Sox shirt as a gift.

The White Sox sent him some gifts and the family has been invited as their guests for Sox Fest.

Good job Sox! :thumbsup:

DumpJerry
12-27-2004, 03:50 PM
This is where I do a real slow burn. The Sox send coaches and equipment to Utica, Illinois after the killer tornado last summer to jump start the kids' little league; the Sox build a lot of softball fields all over Chicago for kids to play their little league games on; the Sox let military personnel in uniform come to the games for free; the Sox are the only MLB team which works with disabled children who want to play baseball.

What do the Flubs do? Have their hero/role model be some self-centered jerk who cheats with steroids and is not man enough to admit to his failings.

Why, oh why do the Flubs get such favorable coverage when the Sox actively give back to the community so much more than the movie stars up north?:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

One other thing, the Flubs also have a handful of softball fields around town. However, there are (by my understanding) only a dozen or so fields compared to (by my understanding) over 100 by the Sox. Also, the Sox fields have a small, discrete, TASTEFUL, sign on the backstop of each field with the logo whereas the Flubs put a giant billboard-sized sign next to their fields with the Flubs logo visible for miles around.
If there is ever a reason to be a Sox fan and not a Flub fan, this is it!

Rocky Soprano
12-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Exactly!

My wife read that article and said how that was so cool that the Sox go out of their way to do things like this.

I just wish more people knew about this kind of stuff.

JKryl
12-27-2004, 09:29 PM
This is where I do a real slow burn. The Sox send coaches and equipment to Utica, Illinois after the killer tornado last summer to jump start the kids' little league; the Sox build a lot of softball fields all over Chicago for kids to play their little league games on; the Sox let military personnel in uniform come to the games for free; the Sox are the only MLB team which works with disabled children who want to play baseball.

What do the Flubs do? Have their hero/role model be some self-centered jerk who cheats with steroids and is not man enough to admit to his failings.

Why, oh why do the Flubs get such favorable coverage when the Sox actively give back to the community so much more than the movie stars up north?:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

One other thing, the Flubs also have a handful of softball fields around town. However, there are (by my understanding) only a dozen or so fields compared to (by my understanding) over 100 by the Sox. Also, the Sox fields have a small, discrete, TASTEFUL, sign on the backstop of each field with the logo whereas the Flubs put a giant billboard-sized sign next to their fields with the Flubs logo visible for miles around.
Don't get depressed. Chicago is different from most MLB cities in that each team has to fight for its fan base. In the past, the Cubs have always seemed to be the favored ones, while the Sox have been the wayward step children. Because Bill Veeck and previous owners where always light in the wallet, they found it hard to compete with the darlings up north. Also, when JR and the boys took over, it seems like they thought that getting a few "name" players like Fisk would be enough. It obviously wasn't. But, now, a serious effort seems to be afoot to appeal to the whole city by showing what good citizens the Sox are, on and off the field.

I think that all the moves the Sox are making, along with all the negative publicity about the Cubs (falling concrete, arguments with C.U.B.S. members and the Mayor) act to undermine the Scrubs and elevate the Sox. It may take a decade, but sooner or later, these kind of actions on the part of the Sox will have great positive effects.

Hopefully, they'll keep it up long enough to matter.

Norberto7
12-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Don't get depressed. Chicago is different from most MLB cities in that each team has to fight for its fan base. In the past, the Cubs have always seemed to be the favored ones, while the Sox have been the wayward step children. Because Bill Veeck and previous owners where always light in the wallet, they found it hard to compete with the darlings up north. Also, when JR and the boys took over, it seems like they thought that getting a few "name" players like Fisk would be enough. It obviously wasn't. But, now, a serious effort seems to be afoot to appeal to the whole city by showing what good citizens the Sox are, on and off the field.

I think that all the moves the Sox are making, along with all the negative publicity about the Cubs (falling concrete, arguments with C.U.B.S. members and the Mayor) act to undermine the Scrubs and elevate the Sox. It may take a decade, but sooner or later, these kind of actions on the part of the Sox will have great positive effects.

Hopefully, they'll keep it up long enough to matter.

Agreed. And I suppose while the publicity is good and all, it's nice to think that these gestures are not done solely for publicity's sake, although that's obviously a part, but a genuine concern. Good work!

OzzieBall2004
12-27-2004, 10:00 PM
I really think that all the good PR they have been getting lately will benefit the team. Also, I think the new FUNdamentals deck is going to help put more butts in the (green) seats. It's still pricey for a family of 4+ so I dont expect a huge boost, but I cant see it hurting. I know a lot of you don't like the sideshows because it takes away from the baseball "purist" experience and creates sideshows, but thats the way its going and we'll just have to deal with it. Hopefully, the product on the field equates to the price of the ticket, and then everyone's happy.

zach074
12-27-2004, 11:00 PM
How many people do you think got fired for having anything about the sox on the front page?

gosox41
12-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Exactly!

My wife read that article and said how that was so cool that the Sox go out of their way to do things like this.

I just wish more people knew about this kind of stuff.
I hear you. They've been doing stuff like this for years, they just don't always advertise it. But why are they showing compassion for others when they can be plowing that money into players. I mean don't the Sox have a moral obligation to the 1.9 mil plus fans then some family that is suffering over the holiday's?

Had to throw it out there.

Bob