PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Eric Milton...

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 01:21 PM
"Reds add Milton to rotation"
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/news/cin_press_release.jsp?ymd=20041227&content_id=926144&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp
CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the signing of free agent All-Star LHP Eric Milton to a 3-year contract, with the player holding an opt-out provision for the 2007 season. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.Surprising move here. The Reds actually spending money? :o:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Eric Milton has decided to join the Cincinnati Reds, a 3-year deal according to ESPN.

Wonder what happened with the New York Yankees?

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Eric Milton has decided to join the Cincinnati Reds, a 3-year deal according to ESPN.

Wonder what happened with the New York Yankees?The Yankees don't need this scrub since they already have a rotation of:

Mike Mussina
Kevin Brown
Javier Vazquez
Carl Pavano
Jaret Wright

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2004, 02:08 PM
The Yankees don't need this scrub since they already have a rotation of:

Mike Mussina
Kevin Brown
Javier Vazquez
Carl Pavano
Jaret Wright
Before Wright and Pavano, Peter Gammons and all the "experts" had Eric Milton in pinstripes. That's why I asked what ever happened between the two.

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Before Wright and Pavano, Peter Gammons and all the "experts" had Eric Milton in pinstripes. That's why I asked what ever happened between the two.Your first mistake was taking Gammons' words as factual. :wink:

Example:

Wednesday, July 21, 2004
"Mariners Notebook: M's mock reports
ESPN says team having difficulty moving Boone"
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/182979_mbok21.html

:boston
"The Mariners are considering releasing Bret Boone..."

southsideirish71
12-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Eric Milton received a three-year, $25.5 million contract from the Reds.
$8.5 million per season for a pitcher with a career ERA of 4.76. This just might be the worst deal of the offseason, which is really saying something. Milton receives a $4 million signing bonus, $4 million in 2005, $8.5 million in 2006 and $9 million in 2007. He can opt out of the final year of the deal just in case he actually exceeds expectations. We put the chances of that happening at 1.9 percent. Dec. 27 - 3:06 pm et
This offseason was about thievery.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Your first mistake was taking Gammons' words as factual. :wink:

Example:

Wednesday, July 21, 2004
"Mariners Notebook: M's mock reports
ESPN says team having difficulty moving Boone"
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/182979_mbok21.html

:boston
"The Mariners are considering releasing Bret Boone..."
Oh believe me, I never believe a thing he says unless I've also heard it everywhere else.

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 02:17 PM
This offseason was about thievery.It's sick that Milton is only making $1.5 million less than Freddy Garcia. :tongue:

Mickster
12-27-2004, 02:24 PM
It's sick that Milton is only making $1.5 million less than Freddy Garcia. :tongue:
Yep. Man we got hosed on that deal.

OEO Magglio
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
This offseason was about thievery.
Wow, unbelievable.

serena
12-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Before Wright and Pavano, Peter Gammons and all the "experts" had Eric Milton in pinstripes. That's why I asked what ever happened between the two.
It sounded to me like Milton might have overplayed his hand with the Yankees. He stalled on signing to get more $$, and they just went out and signed arguably equal or better pitchers and withdrew the offer. I guess he was hoping that being lefty would result in more Yankee $$. I just remember reading some Cashman quote from about a month ago saying that Milton had the contract and if the Yankees didn't get a signed copy back soon, they'd assume he wasn't signing.

Milton found somebody else to pay out, though!

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 02:35 PM
If a sucky Eric Milton can get 3 years @ $25.5 million, our El Duque signing looks even better.

SteveSax'sSocks
12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
The Reds can have Milton for that price. El Duque may turn out to be a steal...if he doesn't turn 50 this year...or 60.

MeanFish
12-27-2004, 03:33 PM
El Duque may turn out to be a steal...if he doesn't turn 50 this year...or 60.
Those are independent events. The following two potential outcomes of this signing have nothing to do with each other:

1.) El Duque turns 50 or 60
2.) El Duque pitches well

The truth is, he can be 50 and still pitch well. It's not probable, but it is simply irresponsible to imply that the latter equals the inverse of the former.

soltrain21
12-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Those are independent events. The following two potential outcomes of this signing have nothing to do with each other:

1.) El Duque turns 50 or 60
2.) El Duque pitches well

The truth is, he can be 50 and still pitch well. It's not probable, but it is simply irresponsible to imply that the latter equals the inverse of the former.

Professor Lehe, is that you?

*shudders at the thought of freshman year Logic class*

The Reds got ripped off pretty bad, it helps there rotation, but that isn't saying much. Not like they are going anywhere in the first place, though.

SteveSax'sSocks
12-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Your statement is true. But how many 50 years olds are pitching in the Major Leagues? It is scientific fact that your body breaks down as you age.

...unless you are Clemens, or Bonds...or Randy Johnson.

DOH!

34 Inch Stick
12-28-2004, 11:54 AM
KW did a fantastic job of improving the Sox pitching staff in this economic climate. In 2004 he locked up Buhrle long term, locked up Garcia at a price that is now well below market, has Contrearas signed long term (not a good deal but not comparatively horrible), signed El Duque to a very reasonable deal and has Garland still under team controll. Good job KW

SteveSax'sSocks
12-28-2004, 12:03 PM
KW did a fantastic job of improving the Sox pitching staff in this economic climate. In 2004 he locked up Buhrle long term, locked up Garcia at a price that is now well below market, has Contrearas signed long term (not a good deal but not comparatively horrible), signed El Duque to a very reasonable deal and has Garland still under team controll. Good job KW
I agree. Kudos to KW.

It's that lukewarm offense I am worried about. GRRRR!

JRIG
12-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Professor Lehe, is that you?

*shudders at the thought of freshman year Logic class*

The Reds got ripped off pretty bad, it helps there rotation, but that isn't saying much. Not like they are going anywhere in the first place, though.
Lehe? Naperville? You're not a North Central College student are you?