PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Baseball on TV?

wassagstdu
12-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Remember back in the '50s (yeah, right. But I do.) when Cuban baseball was broadcast on TV during the winter? All those Fidel look-alikes in their military fatigues in the stands? It was a cultural experience -- and some good baseball, as we now know all too well.

Well how about Japanese baseball on TV? I am sick of the American game, guys paid multi-millions who only know how to swing from the heels and call their agents -- and their "nutritional" consultants. I really like to watch Ichiro play the game. And even Kaz Matsui. Talk about attitude. Watch him learn to backhand. Geez, maybe a team can improve as its players improve, rather than only by playing Fantasy Baseball in December. Maybe we can take a leaf from the playbook of the US auto industry and get reborn under Japanese influence. We gave the game to them, now maybe they can give it back to us.

NonetheLoaiza
12-27-2004, 01:10 PM
While I'm not sick of the American game, I would definitely love to see Japanese Baseball on TV. It is a whole different ballgame over there, and it would be interesting to see the game played how they play it. And God forbid, we become a little bit cultured by watching it.

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 01:14 PM
And God forbid, we become a little bit cultured by watching it.:wired:

idseer
12-27-2004, 01:38 PM
totally agree!
it WOULD be interesting to watch and i bet they'd have a very good viewership.

StockdaleForVeep
12-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Remember back in the '50s (yeah, right. But I do.) when Cuban baseball was broadcast on TV during the winter? All those Fidel look-alikes in their military fatigues in the stands? It was a cultural experience -- and some good baseball, as we now know all too well.

Well how about Japanese baseball on TV? I am sick of the American game, guys paid multi-millions who only know how to swing from the heels and call their agents -- and their "nutritional" consultants. I really like to watch Ichiro play the game. And even Kaz Matsui. Talk about attitude. Watch him learn to backhand. Geez, maybe a team can improve as its players improve, rather than only by playing Fantasy Baseball in December. Maybe we can take a leaf from the playbook of the US auto industry and get reborn under Japanese influence. We gave the game to them, now maybe they can give it back to us.
Yeah, we gave them the game about 1 year after we dropped 2 atomic bombs on them, i dunno, the debt may be repaid, baseball has brought fathas and sons together for millions of years.

Also it is bein documented that Japanese baseball is on a decline since all their star players are jumping to the majors

Im all for watching foreign baseball, but dont knock american ball, i dont know the exchange and how well the Yen is doing but i highly doubt they're paid small wages.

batmanZoSo
12-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, we gave them the game about 1 year after we dropped 2 atomic bombs on them, i dunno, the debt may be repaid, baseball has brought fathas and sons together for millions of years.

Also it is bein documented that Japanese baseball is on a decline since all their star players are jumping to the majors

Im all for watching foreign baseball, but dont knock american ball, i dont know the exchange and how well the Yen is doing but i highly doubt they're paid small wages.
They're paid 40 shillings and sixpence a week (or the Japanese equivalent) and the players sweep the stadium aisles after the game. They also sleep on the locker room floor--two to a bag. So you can see it's all for love of the gizame.
:cool:

Seriously, though, I would watch Japanese ball. They all have weird approaches to hitting and pitching that are interesting to watch. Ichiro for example with his running swing. And he's probably one of the more assimilated ones to come over from there. I've seen some bizarre windups and stances from over there in clips that make Nomo and Ichiro look like illustrations you'd see in an encyclopedia entry for baseball. And the whole fundamentals thing is cool.

I get sick of all these damn strikeouts caused by overswinging. Even little second basemen do it over here all the time. It makes for a more frustrating game to watch as a fan--like soccer, where the ball is always going into the wrong hands is the best analogy I can make. You want to watch success, not failure..contact, not whiff after whiff. I wish baseball would reward that old fashioned hitting mentality more to encourage players to play that way.

johnny_mostil
12-27-2004, 09:19 PM
I wish baseball would reward that old fashioned hitting mentality more to encourage players to play that way.
As long as there is salary arbitration no ballplayer with half a brain is going to do anything but try to jack every pitch he can. Small ball = small paycheck.

StockdaleForVeep
12-27-2004, 09:25 PM
They're paid 40 shillings and sixpence a week (or the Japanese equivalent) and the players sweep the stadium aisles after the game. They also sleep on the locker room floor--two to a bag. So you can see it's all for love of the gizame.
:cool:

Seriously, though, I would watch Japanese ball. They all have weird approaches to hitting and pitching that are interesting to watch. Ichiro for example with his running swing. And he's probably one of the more assimilated ones to come over from there. I've seen some bizarre windups and stances from over there in clips that make Nomo and Ichiro look like illustrations you'd see in an encyclopedia entry for baseball. And the whole fundamentals thing is cool.

I get sick of all these damn strikeouts caused by overswinging. Even little second basemen do it over here all the time. It makes for a more frustrating game to watch as a fan--like soccer, where the ball is always going into the wrong hands is the best analogy I can make. You want to watch success, not failure..contact, not whiff after whiff. I wish baseball would reward that old fashioned hitting mentality more to encourage players to play that way.

On a side note, what ever happened to the unusual windups pitchers used to do back in the old days, especially the windmill pitches. I know guys like sachel page and cy young would do that and sachel would delib throw in extra winds to his windmill to throw off a batter.

And whats wrong with tony womack hittin for the fences?

You assume that every Japanese ball player is a stud and has these unique great hitting\pitching stances but we've only seen a fraction of their players and those we have were the all stars there. Many of the players bat\hit\throw normally.

http://baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/images/uecker_bob.jpg
"and Isuro "kamikaze"Tanaka formerly of the tokyo giants, knocks himself out cold for the 3rd time, maybe in japan thats better than catching the ball...personally? I think he just wants out of the lineup"

Nellie_Fox
12-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Remember back in the '50s (yeah, right. But I do.) when Cuban baseball was broadcast on TV during the winter? All those Fidel look-alikes in their military fatigues in the stands? I'm old enough, and probably would have watched any baseball that was available, but I don't remember this. The revolution didn't succeed until 1959, so I doubt that there would have been "Fidel lookalikes" in the stands before then, and afterward we broke off diplomatic relations pretty quickly. I would suspect that if there was Cuban ball being broadcast in the USA, it would have been pre-revolution.

wassagstdu
12-28-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm old enough, and probably would have watched any baseball that was available, but I don't remember this. The revolution didn't succeed until 1959, so I doubt that there would have been "Fidel lookalikes" in the stands before then, and afterward we broke off diplomatic relations pretty quickly. I would suspect that if there was Cuban ball being broadcast in the USA, it would have been pre-revolution.Fidel was a hero until he got around to liquidating his opposition and expropriating US property. Wasn't long, but there was a brief "honeymoon" in which Fidel was interviewed as a hero by Jack Paar (the Jay Leno of his day). I remember it as very much like Dan Rather's fauning interview of Sadam Hussein. During that time we did see Cuban baseball on TV in Chicago. Must have been the winter of 1959-60. Anyone else remember?

Takatsufan
12-30-2004, 09:18 PM
When i was in Japan, baseball was fantastic. Fans were standing up the whole game, everyone was in the teams colors, the whole game fans were screaming and yelling and doing cheers.

Nellie_Fox
12-30-2004, 11:30 PM
When i was in Japan, baseball was fantastic. Fans were standing up the whole game, everyone was in the teams colors, the whole game fans were screaming and yelling and doing cheers.I've already mentioned that we have a new professor in my department who is Japanese and a big baseball fan. I took him to a university hockey game, and while we were talking I asked him about the cheers and noisemakers and so forth at a Japanese baseball game.

He said "oh, yes, but it is very structured and controlled. Everybody does what they are told when they are told. This is much more fun, people cheer when they want to instead of when they are told to."

ewokpelts
12-31-2004, 12:03 AM
I've already mentioned that we have a new professor in my department who is Japanese and a big baseball fan. I took him to a university hockey game, and while we were talking I asked him about the cheers and noisemakers and so forth at a Japanese baseball game.

He said "oh, yes, but it is very structured and controlled. Everybody does what they are told when they are told. This is much more fun, people cheer when they want to instead of when they are told to.":reinsy
if only i could get them to give me money on demand.....
Gene

flo-B-flo
12-31-2004, 12:17 AM

Well how about Japanese baseball on TV? I am sick of the American game, guys paid multi-millions who only know how to swing from the heels and call their agents -- and their "nutritional" consultants. I really like to watch Ichiro play the game. And even Kaz Matsui. Talk about attitude. Watch him learn to backhand. Geez, maybe a team can improve as its players improve, rather than only by playing Fantasy Baseball in December. Maybe we can take a leaf from the playbook of the US auto industry and get reborn under Japanese influence. We gave the game to them, now maybe they can give it back to us. I have wondered about this. I think Japanese baseball would be watched in America. Especially off-season. Good baseball is always watchable.:smile:

Nellie_Fox
12-31-2004, 12:46 AM
:reinsy
if only i could get them to give me money on demand.....
GeneWhy must you guys turn EVERY THREAD into an anti-Reinsdorf diatribe? This thread had absolutely nothing to do with the Sox or with Sox management. Nothing.

FarWestChicago
12-31-2004, 12:51 AM
Why must you guys turn EVERY THREAD into an anti-Reinsdorf diatribe? This thread had absolutely nothing to do with the Sox or with Sox management. Nothing.Well Nellie, FOLIP's have become as bad as FOBB's when it comes to thread hijacking. They just cruise the forums trying to take over everything they see. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

StockdaleForVeep
01-02-2005, 04:23 AM
When i was in Japan, baseball was fantastic. Fans were standing up the whole game, everyone was in the teams colors, the whole game fans were screaming and yelling and doing cheers.
go to any Big 10 college game or some hockey towns, you'll see a sea of the teams colors, especially U of I or avalanche fans(RIP NHL)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-02-2005, 08:43 AM
More than any other sport, baseball lends itself well to a 24-hour cable channel. It has a long season, filled with 162 regular season games, a 100+ year "modern" history, and well-established leagues in foreign countries like Mexico, Japan, Cuba, and Venezuela. None of this bogus "NFL Europe" crap is necessary.

So why doesn't baseball do this? Easy. It takes vision to see the future and the morons who run MLB have none of it.

:tool
"Here's my plan, gentlemen. Wild cards, unbalanced schedules, playoff games on Family Channel, blind eye towards steroids, "juiced" baseballs, fake home run derbies, and all-star game winners get home field advantage for the World Series... oops, I almost forgot! And naturally breaking the union, too. Does that sound like a winner?"

doublem23
01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
go to any Big 10 college game or some hockey towns, you'll see a sea of the teams colors, especially U of I or avalanche fans(RIP NHL)
Not too mention some baseball towns (St. Louis).

flo-B-flo
01-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Fidel was a hero until he got around to liquidating his opposition and expropriating US property. Wasn't long, but there was a brief "honeymoon" in which Fidel was interviewed as a hero by Jack Paar (the Jay Leno of his day). I remember it as very much like Dan Rather's fauning interview of Sadam Hussein. During that time we did see Cuban baseball on TV in Chicago. Must have been the winter of 1959-60. Anyone else remember? My dad spoke of this. Castro stopped it, and this led to my dad's life long hatred of Fidel.