PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap?

lths06
12-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Should MLB instate a salary cap, or floor? (Salary floor = must spend at least a certain amount.)

dcb33
12-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Should MLB instate a salary cap, or floor? (Salary floor = must spend at least a certain amount.)A salary floor with no cap would destroy baseball. There is only so much major league talent out there, and if you start telling teams they must spend X amount of dollars on their payroll, players' salaries will only increase further. Ticket prices would be driven up and whatever competitive imbalance that you think exists would not be fixed because big spenders like the Yankees and BoSox would still not be restricted in how much they could spend to sign players. It's bad enough that mediocre players like Matt Clement and Jon Lieber will be banking 7-8 mil this year, let's not make it worse.

A salary cap would punish teams who have and are willing to spend money to try to win by not allowing them to spend without requiring small market teams to do anything to try to improve. Why should the Yankees be punished becuase the small market Reds or Pirates cry foul about how unfair it is that the Yankees spend so much when a lot of small market teams put no effort trying to field a competitive team?

Why would you want to institute a salary cap/floor similar to the NFL? It's bad enough that an 8-8 NFC team will make the playoffs, why would anyone want to see the same thing happen in baseball?

SoxFan76
12-26-2004, 07:34 PM
After seeing the NFL this year, I think there should never be a salary cap. The last thing I want is 15 81-81 teams in the running for a playoff spot.

Nick@Nite
12-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Those that don't want a salary cap are those benefiting from the status quo.

I want to see a more completive balance between the money-have-teams and the money-have-not-teams. MLB seems to have the Golden Rule Philosophy; those who have the gold make the rules.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but some form of revenue sharing would also help the have-not-teams.

batmanZoSo
12-26-2004, 07:50 PM
After seeing the NFL this year, I think there should never be a salary cap. The last thing I want is 15 81-81 teams in the running for a playoff spot.
This boggles my mind. Doesn't that scenario make us more likely to make the playoffs and win it all? Right now you have like 4 teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else and we've had no shot of going all the way the last few years. Could we have survived last year's playoffs? Hell no. I don't care if we were .500 and won it all. So be it.

johnny_mostil
12-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but some form of revenue sharing would also help the have-not-teams.
Yeah, but then more teams would emulate the Cubs and find sleazy ways to cheat the other 29 teams out of their share. I am still amazed that MLB allows this. [If I'm commissioner, the Cubs get a $25,000,000 fine.]

SoxFan76
12-26-2004, 07:53 PM
This boggles my mind. Doesn't that scenario make us more likely to make the playoffs and win it all? Right now you have like 4 teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else and we've had no shot of going all the way the last few years. Could we have survived last year's playoffs? Hell no. I don't care if we were .500 and won it all. So be it.
But that's the thing. A crappy team is going to make the playoffs in football this year, then get crushed by the Steelers, Pats, or Eagles. What's the point? I'd rather know my team has a chance to advance atleast 1 round. That's like a mediocre Sox team making the playoffs, then just getting destroyed by the Yankees or Boston. Playoffs are nice, but it's been over 80 years and counting since the last World Series. I won't be happy until the Sox win it all.

Nick@Nite
12-26-2004, 07:57 PM
After seeing the NFL this year, I think there should never be a salary cap. The last thing I want is 15 81-81 teams in the running for a playoff spot.It would be odd indeed to see a sub .500 team making the playoffs. But with so many more teams in MLB as compared to the NFL, the likelihood of that happening are slim.

The Twins weren't percentage-wise a .500 team in '87, but they were close at .525 (85-77) and won the WS. Imo, their feat isn't diminished at all by their low winning PCT for that season.

Daver
12-26-2004, 08:07 PM
The NFL salary cap does exactly what is what intended to do, guarantee the team owners profit margin.

lths06
12-26-2004, 08:17 PM
:reinsy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=15#)

"Did somebody say profit?! Come on salary cap!!!"