PDA

View Full Version : Millwood to the Indians?

Jjav829
12-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Kevin Millwood is scheduled to be in Cleveland on Monday to take a physical, it appears. This could be a good signing for them. We'll have to see on the money.

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1104057007238620.xml)

Brian26
12-26-2004, 11:48 AM
That's a great signing for them. The biggest question about the Indians is their pitching. If they can pick up a couple more solid starters to go along with Sabathia, they will immediately become dangerous.

I'm suprised they let Josh Phelps go, as I read in Phil Rogers' column this morning.

OEO Magglio
12-26-2004, 12:06 PM
I don't think much of Millwood, however the Indians do need pitching help so I guess this can't hurt them.

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't think much of Millwood, however the Indians do need pitching help so I guess this can't hurt them.Agreed. Millwood wasn't very good last year but he has some good career numbers.

OurBitchinMinny
12-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Millwood or not, cleveland is going to be in the running next year

santo=dorf
12-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Millwood or not, cleveland is going to be in the running next year
Why?

They traded Lawton for Arthur "Rocky" Rhodes, and still haven't added anyone to their bullpen (lost White too.) oh, they will have Bret Boone and a full year of Scott Elarton. :rolleyes:

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Why?

They traded Lawton for Arthur "Rocky" Rhodes, and still haven't added anyone to their bullpen (lost White too.) oh, they will have Bret Boone and a full year of Scott Elarton. :rolleyes:Yeah, that Lawton for Rhodes trade was bone-headed. I know the Indians need bullpen help badly but Rhodes is an old geezer and was injured all last season. Who knows what he will do this season? Lawton has some power, he can leadoff, and steal bases. His OBP was .366 last season. I'd rather pay the same amount of salary to Lawton than to Rhodes. :?:

OurBitchinMinny
12-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Why?

They traded Lawton for Arthur "Rocky" Rhodes, and still haven't added anyone to their bullpen (lost White too.) oh, they will have Bret Boone and a full year of Scott Elarton. :rolleyes:
They have sabathia, westbrook and lee who are all pretty solid pitchers. I know lee struggled the second half. Plus they actually get contributions from a good minor league syster which is something we are not familiar with. Im not saying they will win the division, but they were in it for most of last year and we havent gotten better outside the #5 spot and i guess the pen depending on how good vizcaino is.

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Sabathia, Westbrook, Millwood isn't a bad 1-2-3. But Cliff Lee had a horrible second half after a great first half and Scott Elarton is a HORRIBLE 5th starter. At least Lee can blame it on dead arm. Elarton just sucks, plain and simple. I still think they should've kept Lawton instead of worrying about bullpen help in the form of Arthur Rhodes. Rhodes could show up as Mike Jackson next season.

johnny_mostil
12-26-2004, 05:39 PM
They have sabathia, westbrook and lee who are all pretty solid pitchers. I know lee struggled the second half. Plus they actually get contributions from a good minor league syster which is something we are not familiar with. Im not saying they will win the division, but they were in it for most of last year and we havent gotten better outside the #5 spot and i guess the pen depending on how good vizcaino is.
"We've" replaced half the pitching staff and yes, it's better.

You can make an argument that several of the Indians had fluke years -- Casey Blake, Ben Broussard, and Ron Belliard absolutely. Hafner's a nice player buy he hit like Jason Giambi last year at 27 after two basically average half-seasons. Their lineup was half-full of guys with OBPs suddenly 50 points over their career numbers. Westbrook's strikeout rate is very low, and his numbers don't add up to his performance. There are about nine yellow flags surrounding these Indians, a lot like the 2003 Royals and the 2000 White Sox. That doesn't mean they won't be decent, it means that resting on their laurels (as they have done) and expecting Jhonny Peralta to just step in a contribute at short without a realistic backup plan is a good way to head for 75 wins, not 85. I think they probably will decline this season.

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 05:44 PM
"We've" replaced half the pitching staff and yes, it's better.

You can make an argument that several of the Indians had fluke years -- Casey Blake, Ben Broussard, and Ron Belliard absolutely. Hafner's a nice player buy he hit like Jason Giambi last year at 27 after two basically average half-seasons. Their lineup was half-full of guys with OBPs suddenly 50 points over their career numbers. Westbrook's strikeout rate is very low, and his numbers don't add up to his performance. There are about nine yellow flags surrounding these Indians, a lot like the 2003 Royals and the 2000 White Sox. That doesn't mean they won't be decent, it means that resting on their laurels (as they have done) and expecting Jhonny Peralta to just step in a contribute at short without a realistic backup plan is a good way to head for 75 wins, not 85. I think they probably will decline this season.You don't think that JosK Hernandez is a realistic backup option to Jhonny Peralta? :tongue:

Rocklive99
12-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Why?

Aaron Boone

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Aaron BooneYep, the crappier brother (a.k.a. the Boone that isn't on roids). :wink:

DVsoxfan
12-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Hasnt Millwood been hurt...?

According to TSN.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3276490) the talks are for a $7 million contract. Wow. It says there still are things to be worked out. He'll probably end up heading to Clev. though. I'm glad we got El Duque for the price we did, sounds like the Indians are getting a little desperate...its a good gamble I suppose. But not for $7 million

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 08:41 PM

According to TSN.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3276490) the talks are for a $7 million contract. Wow. It says there still are things to be worked out. He'll probably end up heading to Clev. though. I'm glad we got El Duque for the price we did, sounds like the Indians are getting a little desperate...its a good gamble I suppose. But not for $7 millionYeah, I heard it was a 1 year deal for $6 or $7 million. I am even more happy about the El Duque signing now.

johnny_mostil
12-26-2004, 08:48 PM

According to TSN.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3276490) the talks are for a $7 million contract. Wow. It says there still are things to be worked out. He'll probably end up heading to Clev. though. I'm glad we got El Duque for the price we did, sounds like the Indians are getting a little desperate...its a good gamble I suppose. But not for $7 million
Unbelievable. I thought Shapiro was a shrewd guy, this is just bizarre.

Millwood strained his elbow last year and missed about ten starts. Healthy, he's no better a pitcher than Jon Garland -- probably worse -- but had the extreme benefit of working under a genius sensei in Atlanta. He has declined three seasons in a row. Seven million bucks for this guy is just moronic. To Mark Shapiro: You go, guy!

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Unbelievable. I thought Shapiro was a shrewd guy, this is just bizarre.

Millwood strained his elbow last year and missed about ten starts. Healthy, he's no better a pitcher than Jon Garland -- probably worse -- but had the extreme benefit of working under a genius sensei in Atlanta. He has declined three seasons in a row. Seven million bucks for this guy is just moronic. To Mark Shapiro: You go, guy!Leo Mazzone was the only guy that could make Millwood pitch to his fullest potential. I agree, $7 million would be a waste of money for Millwood.

santo=dorf
12-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Aaron Boone
yeah I noticed that after I made my post. :redface:

Let's not forget he's coming back from an injury, so we can pencil him in for .380, 50 HR's and 165 RBI's while then Sox find a way to finish in 6th place!
:rolleyes:
:chickenlittle

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 12:22 AM
"Sources: Millwood nearing deal with Indians"
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-indians-millwood&prov=ap&type=lgns
''This is still a 50-50 proposition, at best,'' one of the sources said.

The sides are still negotiating the eventual structure of the contract, which is believed to be around $7 million.

Foulke You
12-27-2004, 12:40 AM
I still think they should've kept Lawton instead of worrying about bullpen help in the form of Arthur Rhodes. Rhodes could show up as Mike Jackson next season.The Indians had the absolute WORST bullpen in the AL last year. They had a stretch if I recall, where they blew 7 of 10 save opportunities. When Rick White was your most dependable arm in the pen, you know you have troubles down there. I think the Rhodes pickup was a good move by the Tribe to trade Lawton while his value is high coming off a good year. If you'll recall, prior to the 2004 season, the Indians would have gladly dumped Lawton (and most likely some salary) just to get rid of him. Instead, they were able to land a solid veteran arm in the bullpen for him. He could turn into Mike Jackson, yes, but he could also turn in a solid year and will most likely end up as the team's closer when Wickman's annual trip to the injured list kicks in.

OEO Magglio
12-27-2004, 01:48 AM
The indians will have a worse record then last year, I'll guarantee it.

Jabroni
12-27-2004, 01:30 PM
"Source: Millwood traveling to Cleveland for physical"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1953604