PDA

View Full Version : Old Comiskey Brick

Ozzballfest
12-26-2004, 01:42 AM
I live in Glendale,CA which is about 10 miles or so from downtown LA. The other weekend I went to a yard sale where the family moved from Chicago and had all kinds of Chicago teams items.

One item of interest was a brick from Old Comiskey that he was selling for $25. He had four of them. From what I remember the bricks sold had a plaque that had the name of the company that demoed old Comiskey. The four bricks that were for sale didn't have the plaque and he told me that they never came sold with a plaque. That got me wondering if this brick was the real deal.

How do you tell if a brick is really from Old Comiskey? I never bought one back when they were sold and I haven't found any on Ebay.

I did buy some nice lithos from the Bears Super Bowl win that was pretty cool.

cbrownson13
12-26-2004, 02:14 AM
I don't know the answer to the brick question, but we got to keep one of our seats from when my dad and I had season tickets in Old Comiskey and there isn't anything on it signifying that it came from there. Obviously a green seat from a ballpark isn't as common as a brick, but if I were to sell it I don't really have any actual proof that it was from Old Comiskey, unless my dad has some kind of letter or certification that it is from there, which I don't think he does.

Ozzballfest
12-26-2004, 02:21 AM
I don't know the answer to the brick question, but we got to keep one of our seats from when my dad and I had season tickets in Old Comiskey and there isn't anything on it signifying that it came from there. Obviously a green seat from a ballpark isn't as common as a brick, but if I were to sell it I don't really have any actual proof that it was from Old Comiskey, unless my dad has some kind of letter or certification that it is from there, which I don't think he does.
How does somebody display the seats?

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-26-2004, 02:25 AM
There was some sort of authenticity letter from JR that went with the bricks or the seats. I found it while moving during the summer, but I can't remember if it was for the seats or the bricks. I'll go look for the note since it's somewhere in my room.

Parrothead
12-26-2004, 02:25 AM
I live in Glendale,CA which is about 10 miles or so from downtown LA. The other weekend I went to a yard sale where the family moved from Chicago and had all kinds of Chicago teams items.

One item of interest was a brick from Old Comiskey that he was selling for $25. He had four of them. From what I remember the bricks sold had a plaque that had the name of the company that demoed old Comiskey. The four bricks that were for sale didn't have the plaque and he told me that they never came sold with a plaque. That got me wondering if this brick was the real deal.

How do you tell if a brick is really from Old Comiskey? I never bought one back when they were sold and I haven't found any on Ebay.

I did buy some nice lithos from the Bears Super Bowl win that was pretty cool.
It is true that some bricks did not come with a plaque. I was a partial season ticket holder back in the day and I was given a brick, that I had to go to a warehouse by Comiskey to get, which came with a sheet of paper saying it is a Comiskey brick.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-26-2004, 02:29 AM
I found the letter. All it says is this:
Certificate of Authenticity
This is to certify the authenticity of the brick(s) that were used in the construction of Comiskey Park in 1910.

Signed Jerry Reinsdorf
Chairman of the Board

It's just a sheet of white paper, no plaque or anything such as that.

Parrothead
12-26-2004, 02:31 AM
I found the letter. All it says is this:

Certificate of Authenticity

This is to certify the authenticity of the brick(s) that were used in the construction of Comiskey Park in 1910.

Signed Jerry Reinsdorf
Chairman of the Board

It's just a sheet of white paper, no plaque or anything such as that.

I have the letter too.

OurBitchinMinny
12-26-2004, 02:34 AM
I have a brick but with no letter. My uncle was a cop on duty from time to time when they tore it down. And Im pretty sure he wouldnt just make it up, but I know some actually came with a letter. My uncle just picked up a few as he went off duty

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2004, 03:30 AM
I have a brick but with no letter. My uncle was a cop on duty from time to time when they tore it down. And Im pretty sure he wouldnt just make it up, but I know some actually came with a letter. My uncle just picked up a few as he went off dutyI got mine through a Chicago cop who just picked it up from the site. I have no letter or anything certifying it. I know what it is, and since I have no intention of trying to sell it, I don't really care.

Ozzballfest
12-26-2004, 03:37 AM
I got mine through a Chicago cop who just picked it up from the site. I have no letter or anything certifying it. I know what it is, and since I have no intention of trying to sell it, I don't really care.How much did you pay the cop? I have a seat from Tiger Stadium, that I paid a Detroit cop a few bucks to get for me.

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2004, 03:43 AM
How much did you pay the cop? I have a seat from Tiger Stadium, that I paid a Detroit cop a few bucks to get for me.Nothing. I was a Naperville cop at the time. It was just "oh, you're a Sox fan? You want a Comiskey brick?"

I_Liked_Manuel
12-26-2004, 11:08 AM
my brick's got a plaque on it

ewokpelts
12-26-2004, 11:17 AM
I think grandstand sold a few for white sox charites back in 1991. That's how I got mine(x-mas gift). I got the letter from Uncle Jerry too...plain photocopy...

Gene

HITMEN OF 77
12-26-2004, 12:37 PM

Most bricks I've seen, have the plaque on them. That usually means they paid to get those and are authentic. $25.00 per brick is pretty high. However I've seen some people pay $75.00 a brick on ebay, OUCH! If your looking to start a Comiskey Park collection, I would get a seat first and then start looking for a ticket turnstile or old vending displays from inside the park. Those are a lot more unique, but thats just me.

I met a guy at Soxfest last year, who had the old drinking fountains from the dugouts and all osrts of 1 of kind things from the park. He was a plumber and was in charge of tearing out all that stuff when the time came.

SouthSideHitman
12-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, my brick has a plaque saying something like.

Authentic Brick
Old Comiskey Park
1910-1990
Speedway Wrecking Company
*I'm not quite sure because I'm in Maryland and can't look at it right now.

But there was definitly no certificate or anything. I dunno, $25 seems a bit steep if the guy can't prove it's real. What I'd do is check it with pictures of other bricks and if it looks legit, haggle him down to $10 or $15. I mean, in the end, if you think it's real, then it is. It's not like you're planning to submit this to Cooperstown or Antiques Roadshow.

Daver
12-26-2004, 01:00 PM
I wonder if my broken drain grate collection from New Comsikey is worth anything.......

:)

bestkosher
12-26-2004, 01:38 PM
If you were there when the demolition ball was being thrown, they were handing out bricks through the construction fence, I know they gave me one. So not all comiskey bricks have plaques.

But if he had four unmarked one it is highly unlikely that they wre, they were only giving them out oneata time to different people not to one person.

zach074
12-26-2004, 02:13 PM
They probably are real, why would someone in California try to sell bricks from Old Comisky park if they wernt legit? Dont you think they would say it was some other stadium or something?

BainesHOF
12-26-2004, 08:51 PM
I have a beautiful brick complete with whitewash on one side. After a game at the new park, we were passing by the old park, which was fenced off. Someone just kicked the fence in, lifted it up and you were able to reach in and grab a brick. I got mine and ran. My sister, who was holding up the fence for me, got nabbed by security. I had my brick and wasn't about to give it up. I figured they didn't exactly have my sister for a serious offense, and gambled they would let her go. A couple Sox fans passing by claimed to be lawyers and intimidated security into releasing my sister. I met her back at the car 10 minutes later. She was in tears, I had my brick and now we both have a good story to tell.

robertks61
12-26-2004, 09:02 PM
I have a beautiful brick complete with whitewash on one side. After a game at the new park, we were passing by the old park, which was fenced off. Someone just kicked the fence in, lifted it up and you were able to reach in and grab a brick. I got mine and ran. My sister, who was holding up the fence for me, got nabbed by security. I had my brick and wasn't about to give it up. I figured they didn't exactly have my sister for a serious offense, and gambled they would let her go. A couple Sox fans passing by claimed to be lawyers and intimidated security into releasing my sister. I met her back at the car 10 minutes later. She was in tears, I had my brick and now we both have a good story to tell.I got my brick the same way but without the white wash. It's sitting on a piece of astro - turf on my Old Comiskey seat.

I do have a Chicago Stadium brick my cousin gave me with a small plaque glued to it.

Brian26
12-26-2004, 09:19 PM
I got my brick the same way but without the white wash. It's sitting on a piece of astro - turf on my Old Comiskey seat.

Now, is that actual Old Comiskey astroturf from the early 70's? :D:

Brian26
12-26-2004, 09:20 PM
I wonder if my broken drain grate collection from New Comsikey is worth anything.......

LOL. Don't those have the diamond sock logo in the middle of them?

HITMEN OF 77
12-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Now that would be something to have.

Medford Bobby
12-26-2004, 10:13 PM
:smile: Boy this Old Comiskey talk brings back sweet memories......I have some of that old turf from late winter of 76. I got a coupla good size pieces...a big giveaway on a cold bright Saturday to start the 2nd Veeck regime...:cool: then in 1990 I was stopping by to see how far the destruction was, and I was watching the cranes work and nobody else was there, when suddently a man walks up and starts up some talk about the park...then he says "You want :bandance: a seat??"..SURE!!! And his van was a cross a street and goes in, grabs a seat bottom.....and I said "Thanks"...I have no idea who he was and I wonder why I didn't ask for another for my Dad.....But I guess one is better than none.........:rolleyes: I have some brick chips somwwhere but never got an actual brick..I was wondering if those bricks given with a certificate came from the 1927 extention of the park, but marked from "1910"...who would know either way:o:

mike squires
12-26-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm sure the brick is legit. I'd have a hard time believing some dude in Caliornia said, "Hey let's say this is from the old park." But, I would also want to now for sure. I can't stand paying someone (a card dealer) for an autograph. If I can't get it in person then it won't mean as much to me. I've only done it once...An autographed offcial ball with Carlton Fisk for 20 bucks. It looks authentic to me and did it when I was in junior high.

woodenleg
12-26-2004, 11:39 PM
If you were there when the demolition ball was being thrown, they were handing out bricks through the construction fence, I know they gave me one. So not all comiskey bricks have plaques.

But if he had four unmarked one it is highly unlikely that they wre, they were only giving them out oneata time to different people not to one person.

Yeah, my brother had a whole 2' x 2' section of the wall. His high school buddy just went there in his pickup truck and got it for him. Supposedly, he went at night and snuck through a hole in the fence, but that might just be family folklore.

My brother broke chunks off and gave them to his friends, so now it's about 8" x 2', but it is obvious where it came from, because it is old brick covered with layers of white paint.

mike squires
12-27-2004, 12:07 AM
In addition to the old seat back I got I also got a couple chunks of plaster from the old park during the boston series. Should get Harold or Minnie to sign it...maybe Hawk.

Ozzballfest
12-27-2004, 03:22 AM
I'm sure the brick is legit. I'd have a hard time believing some dude in Caliornia said, "Hey let's say this is from the old park." But, I would also want to now for sure. I can't stand paying someone (a card dealer) for an autograph. If I can't get it in person then it won't mean as much to me. I've only done it once...An autographed offcial ball with Carlton Fisk for 20 bucks. It looks authentic to me and did it when I was in junior high.
Can I sell you some land or a bridge? These days you never know. If I saw Fisk autograph for $10 on a ball, should I jump at it or ask if it's the real deal?

robertks61
12-27-2004, 08:47 AM
I wish!

I'm still pissed at my parents for not letting me stay home from school in '76 to watch the Home Opener the year Veeck took over and the astroturf was gone.

whitesoxwilkes
12-27-2004, 08:52 AM
I bought my brick from the Sox garage sale at Soxfest last year. I really hope it's legit.

:supernana:

mike squires
12-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Can I sell you some land or a bridge? These days you never know. If I saw Fisk autograph for $10 on a ball, should I jump at it or ask if it's the real deal?
I know you are being srastic but I would passon a 10$ Fisk ball. You have to remember this was late 80's and it had been priced much higher and then saw it for 20.00. I also have a bat signed by Pudge that my brother in law got for me at an auction. Iknow ther are folks out there that have players sig down pat, but for my own piece of mind I'm saying it's legit. I agree with you...that is why I've only done it once. Even if it had a certificate with it I'd pass If didn't get it in person it just wouldn't mean anything to me...Now, how much for that bridge???

Ozzballfest
12-27-2004, 03:49 PM
I know you are being srastic but I would passon a 10$ Fisk ball. You have to remember this was late 80's and it had been priced much higher and then saw it for 20.00. I also have a bat signed by Pudge that my brother in law got for me at an auction. Iknow ther are folks out there that have players sig down pat, but for my own piece of mind I'm saying it's legit. I agree with you...that is why I've only done it once. Even if it had a certificate with it I'd pass If didn't get it in person it just wouldn't mean anything to me...Now, how much for that bridge???
Well that's the same way I feel about this brick. Hell I can go to a brick yard and buy 100 bricks, bang them around a little and then say these brick were from Old Comiskey. I know it's only $25 but you can buy bricks for about $2 and say "Yeah I got them from Old Comiskey"

I'm just being a careful buyer. And while I like the help on here, I don't see how anybody can say "Yeah that's a real brick", if you haven't even seen it.

Tekijawa
12-27-2004, 03:58 PM
I also "stole" a comiskey brick.. My family has 2 whole rows of 5 chairs each too from the sale they had to get rid of the slightly damaged sets. I also have a Brick from the Football Stadium at Notre Dame when they re did the out side... I got that when I was at basketball camp there and gave it to my Grandpa, who loved the Irish, and got it back after he passed away. It's a nice piece of memorabilia from ND and my Grandpa!

awesomefan
12-29-2004, 01:05 AM
I got my Old Comiskey brick at SoxFest a couple of years ago & it came with a postcard size card that stated it was authentic. Then I got "Beltin' Bill Melton" to autograph it

Paulwny
12-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah, my brick has a plaque saying something like.

Authentic Brick
Old Comiskey Park
1910-1990
Speedway Wrecking Company
*I'm not quite sure because I'm in Maryland and can't look at it right now.

But there was definitly no certificate or anything. I dunno, $25 seems a bit steep if the guy can't prove it's real. What I'd do is check it with pictures of other bricks and if it looks legit, haggle him down to $10 or $15. I mean, in the end, if you think it's real, then it is. It's not like you're planning to submit this to Cooperstown or Antiques Roadshow.
My plaque-- Original Comiskey Park Brick-- the rest is the same. My son bought the brick from the wrecking company as a present for me. He believes he paid $10-$15 which included shipping. Who knows, they still may have a few 100 thousand on hand.

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 02:32 PM
anyone know where to get a brick nowadays? I just moved into an apartment downtown and I want to get some Sox stuff for decorations, any ideas or places to go to get some pictures and stuff?

HITMEN OF 77
12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
anyone know where to get a brick nowadays? I just moved into an apartment downtown and I want to get some Sox stuff for decorations, any ideas or places to go to get some pictures and stuff?
They sell them at Soxfest, buy'em buy the pallet :D:

soxfan43
12-29-2004, 03:24 PM
I will be outta town on Sox Fest at a wedding, pretty disapointed. But I have some friends who are going and I'll have them keep a lookout for me.

C-Dawg
12-31-2004, 08:34 PM
My employer was involved with the construction of the New Comiskey (we're a civil engineering company - we did soil borings to help them design the foundation for the new park, for example). I only got to go to the construction site a couple times, and it was during the off-season while they were building the entrances and ramps to the north of the new park, while the old stadium was mostly gone. I grabbed a couple bricks at the time; they were all over the place. I made sure they had white paint on them.

I'll bet my office still has the original construction blueprints of New Comiskey somewhere in the file room - there's stacks and stacks of rolled-up blueprints; I just need to get busy some slow winter day and start looking.