PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Friendliest Sox Player You've Met

JUribe1989
12-25-2004, 10:37 PM
'Tis the season to rejoice in the friendliness of White Sox Players

I met Aaron Rowand at Soxfest in January 2004 and I asked for his autograph and said "My favorite moment last year was your home run against the Cubs." He responded with "Mine too!" He then struck a conversation with me and gave me a few outfield tips. I was very interested to hear stories about outfielding and hitting from a person with firsthand major league experience.

Also, this isn't a player but Hawk is an extrememly kind person as well. The first time I met him I told him a story about how I had always wanted to be an announcer. I was very young at the time. He said "Keep at it buddy." I met him again at Soxfest in January and told him that I had met him and he told me to keep at my announcing. He pretended that he remembered me and told me I could do it. I knew of course that he didn't but I thought it was very kind of him to do that.

Mark Buerhle and Jon Garland joked around with me because I only asked for Buerhle's autograph not noticing Jon Garland. I went back and got Jon's also.

Palehose13
12-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Steve Lyons. My cousin played ball with him in college, so when he was on the Sox (and I was pre-teen/teen years) he always brought over autographed balls and stuff for my brother and I. He also brought over Ron Kittle once for my dad to chat with...but I did have a "connection".

Hmmmm...Joey Cora was really nice at Sox Fest last year. I noticed him and his friend sitting at a table as soon as I walked into the bar. We got to talking (it was quite early) and he seemed really interested when I told him that I played college softball. He asked a few questions (Where did I go to school, what position, etc.). I thought that was really cool that he seemed genuinely interested.

Kevin Hickey was great at SoxFest last year. He was the first autograph I ever got in my life and he had me tell the story then he brought Britt Burns over (cause I got his autograph too that day) and made me re-tell the story. I also had Fisk's autograph on the ball from that same day and when I said that Kevin said "Oh yeah...Mr. Personality." I thought that was pretty funny.

I got LaMarr Hoyt's autograph before a session at SoxFest. I told him that his performance in 1983 was one of the reasons I was such a big Sox fan. He looked up, smiled, and said "It's people like you that make this worthwhile." I thought that was really sweet.

I said some kind words to Kenny Williams the day after he got laid into to last year...told him that soem fans still have faith, etc. and he was really, really nice too.

I helped Aaron Rowand find the bathroom that night (maybe a few too many beers for Crash that night :wink: ) That was quite funny too.

Hey...I had a great time at Sox fest last year. Can't wait for this year!!!!

HITMEN OF 77
12-25-2004, 11:15 PM
I agree with Keven Hickey, he's a truly nice guy. Loiaza was very nice at Soxfest last year, along with Rowand and Harris.

The older Sox players are all great. Pierce,Minnie and Peters all talked and told stories to me last year at the pizza party downstairs.

Melton is another one too, he was fun to chat with at the bar on Friday night.

I think its time we start the thread to see who's going to Soxfest this year.

OEO Magglio
12-25-2004, 11:28 PM
DJ was the nicest one I've met. Garland was probably the guy I liked the least out of the players I've met, just ask hawkdj :D:

hillbilly
12-25-2004, 11:54 PM
When I was maybe 14 or 15, my friends and I waited for autogrpahs after a game and Mike Sirotka was still with the team. It was maybe 11 pm or so and he made sure everyone that was out there got an autograph. Very very courteous and respectful and thankful to us. Very nice. Frank Thomas was also signing autographs from his car and yelled at me when i was leaning on it. I don't blame him one bit seeing as it was a porshce.

kittle545feet
12-25-2004, 11:54 PM
My father was a Chicago Policeman and he always flashed the badge to get us into the games to see the Sox come out to take batting practice, so my childhood was filled with memories of meeting players. Ron Kittle was probably the nicest. In '83 , I was ten years old and this guy was like Superman to me. I thought he was the greatest and completely idolized him. Anyway, we were there one night for Sox BP and my brother and I were up next to the dugout trying to get autographs when my parents who were a few sections down by homeplate were screaming for us to turn around. We had no clue what they were saying but finally we caught on and when we turned around, Kittle was in the stands talking to about 3 or 4 people. I was in awe and actually had a hard time asking for an autograph. When I finally did, he joked and said,"Oh no, you only want it 'cause your mom and dad told you to get it." He laughed and said he was kidding and I got to stand there and have him sign a ball and his rookie card for me and then told me about some of his homers. He was so nice and wanted to sign anything and talk to some kids who he knew thought he was the greatest ever. Hey, what did I know, I was ten. But boy could he hit 'em! I think Kittle ended up with 6 roof shots in his career and I was there for four of them, including the 545 foot shot off Rob Murphy of the Red Sox in 1990, hence kittle545feet as my WSI name.
I also had the privilege of working at O'Hare airport in 1993 and handled the Sox flights in and out of Chicago for a little general aviation company called Signature Flight Support while I was going to school. It was one of the coolest summers of my life. To this day Tim Raines knows me well because he and I became friends in 1993. He couldn't believe how in love with the team I was and how me and my buddies would travel with the Sox to certain cities. I even got to have some beers with Thomas, Raines, Ventura, Karko and a few others one time. I almost lost my job over it but I was in heaven. Man, I love the Sox!:andy

soltrain21
12-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Hands down it is Tim Raines. He is super cool and just a very nice guy.

rommel13
12-26-2004, 12:07 AM
I was in Seattle in '03, for my bachelor party. We saw Rowand out after the Friday night game. He was very nice and even bought me a drink.

also:
The night before my wedding, a friend and I went out after my rehersal dinner.
We saw Buehrle at the bar with a couple of his non baseball friends. Asked him for an auto, he congratulated me on my marriage, nice guy.

Rocklive99
12-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Frank Thomas, which was unexpected considering the way the media portrays him, but out of all the ones I've met, it's no question, him hands down.

Least favorite was Jose Valentin. He was a tad of a you know what

Realist
12-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Donn Pall. He once called me at home! :bandance: Another really cool guy was Skip Pitlock (you'll see him mentioned in Lip's interview with Chet Lemon). He used to work with my mom after he retired and came to our 4th of July party and "tried" to teach me a curve ball. It didn't take. :rolleyes:

cbrownson13
12-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Frank Thomas, which was unexpected considering the way the media portrays him, but out of all the ones I've met, it's no question, him hands down.

I went to Sox Fest quite a while ago, when I was younger, maybe 8 years ago, and felt Frank was really nice also. It was back when they had the Big Frank Candy Bar. He was very nice and gracious despite having to sit there and greet hundreds of fans. I also remember Ventura was a pretty nice guy too.

OurBitchinMinny
12-26-2004, 01:36 AM
Mine is PK. He signed some crap for me at the metrodome once. The least nice was frank, but I understood. He probably gets it all the time. Harold Baines was also very nice and guillen was a dick at one point to me, but oh well

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2004, 02:37 AM
Growing up in LaGrange Park, I was once playing street baseball with Sherman Lollar's kids. When Sherm himself came out on the porch to call them in for dinner, I was too awestruck to say anything, so I don't know what he was like.

The only two I ever had any real time with were Lamar Johnson and Tony Bernazard, when the strike was on. They didn't have access to Sox facilities, so they had both joined the gym I worked out in, as they were living in Naperville at the time. I got to know both of them a little bit; they were both good guys, but Bernazard was not totally comfortable in English, so he was a little quiet. Johnson was super nice.

hose
12-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Donn Pall

Cal Eldred

johnny bench
12-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Mr. Billy Pierce

Clembasbal
12-26-2004, 09:20 AM
I have met Frank Thomas a few times, the first time in Minnesota about 8 years ago. He was eating breakfast at the team's hotel while reading the newspaper. My dad just walked by him and said, "Good luck at the game." He said thanks and asked us if we wanted an autograph. My dad told him "No" because he did not want to bother him before a game. Frank asked where our seats were, and then later on in the day at the game a guy brought us a Frank Thomas autograph bat and hat.

Other times I have met him, he has always signed an autograph. Even in spring training when usually only minor leaguers sign.

Jon Rauch, I told him I was a "Sig Ep" (the fraternity he was in at Moorehead State..sp?) He signed a baseball with "To one brother from another." and he talked a little with me about the fraternity. I always heard he was an ass, but he did not show it that day.

TornLabrum
12-26-2004, 09:39 AM
My son has a great Frnak Thomas story. He and some friends were at Hooter's in Downers Grove when Thomas and his party sat down at a table next to them. My son, a tad inebriated at the time I suppose, introduced himself and asked him to autograph a menu for him. He also posed for a couple of pictures with him.

I can vouch for the fact that Thomas has been exceptionally good with the Windy City Sox Fans. He has autographed everything we've asked him to for raffles, etc.

Donn Pall was also a great guy. He spent an entire afternoon at our booth at SoxFest signing autographs and chatting with us and the lines of fans. He has also attended several of our events, usually bringing the kids along. He also took a lot of time to answer questions for a newsletter interview we did with him, and he even sponsored the newsletter, defraying our publication costs.

Ron Kittle is a great guy. I've met him on a few occasions, and he's always been terrific. Ditto Ozzie Guillen who last year told us, "If you have any trouble getting a player or coach for a luncheon, let me know, and I'll take care of it."

Billy Pierce is another great guy. He knows me at least by face and always comes up to shake my hand and ask how I'm doing. His wife is another really nice person. Just regular folks.

Bill Melton, Moose Skowron, Minnie Minoso, Steve Trout...all have gone out of their way to help the club. Jose Valentin was also great, contrary to what someone said earlier in the thread.

I'm bound to forget some, but those who come to mind are Roberto Hernandez, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Harold Baines, Greg Walker, Rocky Biddle, Kelly Wunsch...I know I'm forgetting a lot of people. Mike Sirotka was great, and believe it or not, so was Jaime Navarro.

On the other hand, don't get me started about Mike Caruso....

ewokpelts
12-26-2004, 10:01 AM
black jack was cool last year at soxfest....on an unrelated note....ron artest is a really nice guy....He did a signing at my stepdad's card store back when he got drafted by the bulls....

Gene

ewokpelts
12-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Thisisnt really a meet and greet story, but i'll put it here anyways....
I was volunteering at fanfest in 03, and I was stationed at the main entrance passing out teh goodie bags....in comes Harold(he was the co-spokesman) and nobody knows who he is aside from a few auto hounds(there were a lot of out of towners volunteering in hopes of asg tix) One of the volunteers asks me" who's that guy?" I go...that's harold baines...he's a sox legend.....of course then everyone swoops in, I manned the camera for a few pics. Harold seemed to enjoy himself.
Gene

chidavid18
12-26-2004, 10:34 AM
We had seats right near the white sox on deck circle. He was the only one that talked to us every time he was there getting ready to go up to bat. I got one of his cracked bats during the game. Thanks frank. We got the seats from a friend of ours that has dodgers Session tickets. Byt the way mags was an ass during that game.

Brian26
12-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Donn Pall. He once called me at home!
Don Pall is without a doubt one of the nicest mlb players I've ever met. Super friendly guy.

Brian26
12-26-2004, 10:40 AM
black jack was cool last year at soxfest....on an unrelated note....ron artest is a really nice guy....He did a signing at my stepdad's card store back when he got drafted by the bulls....

Gene
Not to change the topic, but, Gene's step-dad is one of the most genuine baseball card shop owners I've ever met. Every time I go in there, he and I strike up a conversation about what's going on. Even if I only buy some 9-pocket sheets or spend a couple of bucks on supplies and common cards, he doesn't give me a hard time about it. (and trust me, he's got some cool stuff in there). His shop is up on Montrose in the Ravenswood area....cool place to check out.

Brian26
12-26-2004, 10:41 AM
My son has a great Frnak Thomas story. He and some friends were at Hooter's in Downers Grove when Thomas and his party sat down at a table next to them.
How can you not like a guy who makes millions of dollars a year but still loves to go to Hooters for wings?

Troupis
12-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Frank has always been great: in public, at Spring Training, and at games. My favorite player since I was a kid and he has never done anything to jeopardize that status, only further it.

He deserves a petition to get Giambi to give him the MVP that he cheated him out of!!! (it could be the difference between the Hall or not)

Buehrle gets my vote as well.

The number one nicest Sox though is Man Soo Lee - UnequivocalLEE!

There's a whole thread on it.

wulfy
12-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Carlton Fisk.

When I was a HS senior (1985), I blew out my knee in training camp before the season started. There was a little blurb in the Southtown about it (I was the team captain). The day after surgery, my coach comes into the hospital room with a letter on Sox stationary. It was a note from Fisk who said he read the article and wanted me to keep my chin up and that I could make it back if I worked hard.

Obviously, I still have the letter.

He has a reputation as being really cold, but he was anything but in this circumstance.

LongLiveFisk
12-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Carlton Fisk.

When I was a HS senior (1985), I blew out my knee in training camp before the season started. There was a little blurb in the Southtown about it (I was the team captain). The day after surgery, my coach comes into the hospital room with a letter on Sox stationary. It was a note from Fisk who said he read the article and wanted me to keep my chin up and that I could make it back if I worked hard.

Obviously, I still have the letter.

He has a reputation as being really cold, but he was anything but in this circumstance.Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I had nothing but pleasant experiences with him myself. EDIT: And btw, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to him today (Dec 26). :happybday

Also HUGE kudos to Frank Thomas. You would think this guy was a major drillrod just reading the papers and what has been said about him, but the man is completely great to the fans.

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. :cool:

NonetheLoaiza
12-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Dave Martinez / Frank Thomas. Both of them were very talkative to me, and talked like they were just ordinary guys and Sox fans. For me, I think its awesome when a player can just sit with a fan and talk about something like he is your friend, so those two were the friendliest Sox players that I have met.

TornLabrum
12-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Dave Martinez / Frank Thomas. Both of them were very talkative to me, and talked like they were just ordinary guys and Sox fans. For me, I think its awesome when a player can just sit with a fan and talk about something like he is your friend, so those two were the friendliest Sox players that I have met.
Martinez was also good to the Windy City Sox Fans during his time with the Sox. I knew there would be a bunch I forgot!

HITMEN OF 77
12-26-2004, 12:48 PM
How can you not like a guy who makes millions of dollars a year but still loves to go to Hooters for wings?
My thoughts exactly :D:

PicktoCLick72
12-26-2004, 12:48 PM
I went down to Sarasota with my family in about 1989 when I was about 4. After the game, a crowd of autograph seekers had formed around Carlton Fisk. I was in the back of this group but when Fisk saw me he came right up to me picked me up, took a bunch a pictures with me, and signed a couple autographs. That is why i would have to pick Fisk.

zach074
12-26-2004, 01:10 PM
In like 1961 or some time, my mom was in the hospital and someone at the game she knew caught a ball and gave it to Bucky Dent ( her favorite player) and he got the whole team to sign that ball.

johnny_mostil
12-26-2004, 01:36 PM
In like 1961 or some time, my mom was in the hospital and someone at the game she knew caught a ball and gave it to Bucky Dent ( her favorite player) and he got the whole team to sign that ball.
His pee wee league team? :smile: Dent's not THAT old...

Baby Fisk
12-26-2004, 02:56 PM
I went down to Sarasota with my family in about 1989 when I was about 4. After the game, a crowd of autograph seekers had formed around Carlton Fisk. I was in the back of this group but when Fisk saw me he came right up to me picked me up, took a bunch a pictures with me, and signed a couple autographs. That is why i would have to pick Fisk.:welcome: Great story -- welcome aboard!

My most positive fan experience, believe it or not, was with Charlie Hough in 1992. I was in highschool at the time and was down at field level before the Sox played a game in Skydome. I was in a crowd of young autograph seekers and several of the pitchers came over to sign autographs (Hough, Alvarez, Thigpen, Pall, Alex Fernandez). Hough was in a jolly mood and was kidding around with us for a while. Meanwhile, Black Jack stalked the outfield by himself.

zach074
12-26-2004, 03:00 PM
His pee wee league team? :smile: Dent's not THAT old...
ok maybe i dont know what year but it is awsome! actually it was propaply like at least 12 years older. I forgot to take into consideration the age of my mom at the time when i tried to figure out the year. :redface:

SoxFan76
12-26-2004, 03:33 PM
:welcome: Great story -- welcome aboard!

My most positive fan experience, believe it or not, was with Charlie Hough in 1992. I was in highschool at the time and was down at field level before the Sox played a game in Skydome. I was in a crowd of young autograph seekers and several of the pitchers came over to sign autographs (Hough, Alvarez, Thigpen, Pall, Alex Fernandez). Hough was in a jolly mood and was kidding around with us for a while. Meanwhile, Black Jack stalked the outfield by himself.
Did Jack start that game? Are you implying he's anti-social? I have no idea if he is or not, but if he was pitching that game I doubt autographs was his number 1 priority.

bafiarocks03
12-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Yea, I'd say Aaron Rowand! He's awesome!! You guys remember when i said we went to the game, and he said he liked our tattoos then at Photo Day, he remembered us! yea that was awesome! but umm...D'Angelo and Billy Koch were pretty nice too! hehe! specially D'lo!

NSSoxFan2
12-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I would say the nicest encounters I have had have been with Kelly Wunsch, MB, Big Hurt, and Hawk. I live in the same building as CLee does downtown, and he was always a class act. My roommate and I have great memories of CLee when we see him in the building. He has not sold his condo yet, but I doubt he will.

On the other side of things, before I moved to the city I grew up in Glenview. Growing up in cub country is, lets just say bad. But Ryne Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe used to live in my subdivision, and lets just say they weren't nice.

Corlose 15
12-26-2004, 05:31 PM
This isn't really a story about a player but about the Sox oranization in general.

In 1999 my brother and his wife, my other brother, and myself went into Chicago from Michigan for the opening series vs. KC. Its about a 5 hour drive from metro Detroit. While my brother is pulling into the parking lot his transmition drops out, his car is done. We park the car and walk to the public relations gate. While were there we tell one of the head ladies (Julie was her name) about our situation, we haven't gotten tickets yet at all or anything. So, she sets my brother and his wife up with a mechanic in town and takes my other brother and I into see the game. She sets us up with seats just behind homeplate, free of cost and tells us that if anyone gives us any grief to just tell the usher and she'll fix us up with seats somewhere else.

After the game were wondering what to do and Julie comes up to us again and asks us if we want a drink. So, she takes us up to the Stadium Club for a free drink and we get to sit in there for a while. She then offers to take us on a tour of the park so we see Reinsdorf's office, suites, she even takes us onto the field and into the dugouts. (I stole a piece of pitching clay from a wheelbarrow on the field). Then they let us sit in the lobby and give us some more free food while we wait for our ride from Michigan to take us back.

The only bad thing about the day from my perspective was we had to watch Navarro get shelled by the Royals. My brother and I made out like bandits.:D: :D: :D:

That has always just stood out to me, I thought it was a really classy thing for the Sox to do for us and they really went above and beyond. :thumbsup:

Dick Allen
12-26-2004, 06:26 PM
From my Soxfest experiences, I'd say the nicest one far and away was Kelly Wunsch.

batmanZoSo
12-26-2004, 07:37 PM
This isn't really a story about a player but about the Sox oranization in general.

In 1999 my brother and his wife, my other brother, and myself went into Chicago from Michigan for the opening series vs. KC. Its about a 5 hour drive from metro Detroit. While my brother is pulling into the parking lot his transmition drops out, his car is done. We park the car and walk to the public relations gate. While were there we tell one of the head ladies (Julie was her name) about our situation, we haven't gotten tickets yet at all or anything. So, she sets my brother and his wife up with a mechanic in town and takes my other brother and I into see the game. She sets us up with seats just behind homeplate, free of cost and tells us that if anyone gives us any grief to just tell the usher and she'll fix us up with seats somewhere else.

After the game were wondering what to do and Julie comes up to us again and asks us if we want a drink. So, she takes us up to the Stadium Club for a free drink and we get to sit in there for a while. She then offers to take us on a tour of the park so we see Reinsdorf's office, suites, she even takes us onto the field and into the dugouts. (I stole a piece of pitching clay from a wheelbarrow on the field). Then they let us sit in the lobby and give us some more free food while we wait for our ride from Michigan to take us back.

The only bad thing about the day from my perspective was we had to watch Navarro get shelled by the Royals. My brother and I made out like bandits.:D: :D: :D:

That has always just stood out to me, I thought it was a really classy thing for the Sox to do for us and they really went above and beyond. :thumbsup:
I was at a game in that same series. I believe it was the second home game...Chris Singleton got his first big league hit, Thomas hit a homer but we lost 3-1 I think to Kevin Appier. But what they did for you is beyond class, that's a miracle. You get free drinks and free seats behind home plate just for having your car break down. This kind of stuff should be published in the papers. Good for you guys.

And as for the thread topic, I've never met anyone. How do you people meet all these ballplayers all the time? :?:

On the other side of things, before I moved to the city I grew up in Glenview. Growing up in cub country is, lets just say bad. But Ryne Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe used to live in my subdivision, and lets just say they weren't nice.

In the 80s, two of my first cousins lived in Northbrook or some snobby north side neighborhood and were next door neighbors to Jim McMahon. They were playing catch with a football as he was pulling out in his car and waved at him and he just gave them the finger. (he was probably in a bad mood because his eyes were overly sensitive to light..."why?! why must I have this terrible affliction!"). By all accounts, he was a jerk.

mandmandm
12-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I was in Seattle in '03, for my bachelor party. We saw Rowand out after the Friday night game. He was very nice and even bought me a drink.

also:
The night before my wedding, a friend and I went out after my rehersal dinner.
We saw Buehrle at the bar with a couple of his non baseball friends. Asked him for an auto, he congratulated me on my marriage, nice guy.
Hey, Rommel13. Send me your latest email, would you?

macander@mindspring.com

MikeW
12-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I met several Sox players during spring training in 1977,1978 and 1989 when I went to Sarasota. Most were nice, but the ones that standout were pitchers Dave Hamilton and Chris Knapp. Had a long conversation about where I could go to tryout and what options I had seeing I was never drafted. The tryout never materialized, but it was fun just to talk baseball for a half hour with them. The late Sam Hairston(Jerry's father) gave me a couple of baseballs without me asking for them that same time. I have written to over 300 ex White Sox players
and I received many free pictures,cards and letters from them.

petekat
12-27-2004, 01:31 AM
another vote for the Big Hurt- talked to him at Bobby Bonilla's bowling benefit one yr, also seen him during warmups, also at the 4th of July autograph sessions- always cordial. DJ is also very friendly, especially loves seeing fans on the road. Uribe and Timo also very friendly- kudos naturally to Gene Honda and Nancy among the staff....

house215
12-27-2004, 02:06 AM
I meet Jack McDowell at an autograph signing in a shoe store in Deerfield and he was a real nice guy. I was probably 8 or 9 but I remember it being one of the most exciting things that had ever happened to me.

My brother hung out with Neal Cotts at my couscin's bachleor party. He was nice enough to get everyone tickets for the game and hang out with them all at whatever bar they went to afterwards.

DaleJRFan
12-27-2004, 03:33 AM
I meet Jack McDowell at an autograph signing in a shoe store in Deerfield and he was a real nice guy. I was probably 8 or 9 but I remember it being one of the most exciting things that had ever happened to me.

My brother hung out with Neal Cotts at my couscin's bachleor party. He was nice enough to get everyone tickets for the game and hang out with them all at whatever bar they went to afterwards.

If it was Ed's party, I was there! Crazy night. Neil Cotts seemed very nice.. but I have to say, he dresses like a Wrigleyville homo! :) I guess if you are 24 and make crazy cash playing a game, you can get away with that.

hosieryofthegods
12-27-2004, 04:05 AM
Just out of curiosity is that Ed Piezynski?

DaleJRFan
12-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Just out of curiosity is that Ed Piezynski?
yea... Ed Piezynski. Did I spell it right?

kittle42
12-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Carl Everett...any man who will talk to me on the phone and buy my friends Cleveland's finest 2am pizza is OK by me.

KnuckleSox1
12-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, at Sox Fest last year I was talking to Mark Buehrle for about 5 minutes. He is a really cool guy.

whitesoxwilkes
12-27-2004, 10:58 AM
For the Sox, Esteban Loaiza. We BS'ed at Soxfest last year about Mexican politics.

Overall, Johnny Damon takes the cake though. I was at BP a few years ago when he was with Oakland, and he came over to me and my buddy and started talking to us just out of the blue, ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes. REALLY smart guy, into indie rock and movies.

jake27
12-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Rowand, Loaiza, Koch, and Carlos Lee have all been nice to me and other fans.

soxfan43
12-27-2004, 11:05 AM
i used to work at the building where maggs and his wife lived when he first came up, and according to everyone who worked there he was a jerk, and his wife was even worse. she complained about everything to the staff there and blamed them for things that broke when they were clearly her fault.

soxfan43
12-27-2004, 11:09 AM
i grew up around there as well and I remember playing basketball one day at a clinic in jr high and totally going at this kid who was acting all cocky. My team lit him up I was trash talking all game and after the game my coached asked me if I knew who that kid was, and damned if it wasn't ryne sandbergs cocky ass kid. also rod beck used to live in my town, and his house used to egged and messed with a lot, but i have no idea by who. :D:

Tekijawa
12-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Frank was very nice to me and my brothers, we sat out side in the rain for an hour after a game to wait for him to sign and he did, even though his (first) wife was screaming at him to get in the car, he stood out and signed 2 cards each for myself, my 2 brothers and 2 other kids...

Charlie Hough was my favorite though, I had him sign his rookie card and he looked at it when I handed to him and laughed and said, good lord kid this card is older than you are. We both Laughed.

Black Jack at Soxfest was very nice, I told him that I wanted to be a pitcher when I was growing up because of him but I stunk so they put me in right. He said that he Wanted to be a Short stop but that didn't work out. I said it was probably because of his weak arm, and we both laughed.

Loiaza was extremely nice last year, and signed my ball even though I wasn't able to get in his line of about 9000 people.

I've never had any problems with any of the Sox, although I do have to say the only real "unpleasant" time I've had collecting autographs was with B.J. Armstrong, My brother and I were the only ones around him after the game and he wouldn't sign...

CecilCooper
12-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Kelly Wunsch, easily. Took lots of pictures, signed balls, shot the $#!* for extended periods. A really fun guy - I hope he does well in LA.

Rocky Soprano
12-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Keith Foulke.

My brother has always been a Kenny Lofton fan. We went to a Sox-Indians game, he decided to wear a Indians hat. Well Foulke was signing autographs before the game so we went up to him. He took my baseball and signed it and then he went to my brother, saw the hat he was wearing and said, Im not signing your ball. He asked me, this is your brother? Whats wrong with him? My brother then said, Im a White Sox fan, but I like Kenny Lofton. So Foulke tells him to take the hat off and he would then sign his ball. So my brother did just that. After that, Keith talked to us for a bit and was really cool.

I just thought it was awesome that Foulke heckled my brother for a bit.

Frank Thomas, is awesome. I met him at Sox Fest and was super friendly. I wished him luck and told him I heard that he had worked out hard in Vegas and that I was proud of him and that I was happy to be a fan of a guy that gives his best everyday. He thanked me for the kind words and then got up and put his arm around me so we could take a picture.

Frank is the best!

TDog
12-27-2004, 11:50 AM
:welcome: Great story -- welcome aboard!

My most positive fan experience, believe it or not, was with Charlie Hough in 1992. I was in highschool at the time and was down at field level before the Sox played a game in Skydome. I was in a crowd of young autograph seekers and several of the pitchers came over to sign autographs (Hough, Alvarez, Thigpen, Pall, Alex Fernandez). Hough was in a jolly mood and was kidding around with us for a while. Meanwhile, Black Jack stalked the outfield by himself.Albert Belle gave me the finger once (it was probably directed at the people sitting around me in the leftfield seats in Anaheim) and Harry Caray swore at me when I was a kid, but my experiences with baseball people (including Bobby Thigpen and Don Pall) have generally been great. But one player I've never met may have impressed me the most.

When I lived in Arizona, I used to drive to Anaheim for an annual Sox weekend. Just before the season was shut down in 1994, I was down the leftfield line watching batting practice and players warming up on the field. Fans around me were screaming for autographs and balls. A couple, with a baby dressed in Sox pajamas wanted one of the players to sign their baby's plush ball. Before the players went in, Alex Fernandez went over to the stands, found the young couple in the crowd, gave them the ball he was warming up with, signed it and offered to hold the baby so they could take a picture. The baby was screaming at this point, but the parents were ecstatic.

When I was in college, 1977, I had the opportunity to take pictures from the photo box next to the visitors dugout down the first base line in the old park. Gaylord Perry was charting pitches for the Rangers in the corner a few feet away from me. A television interviewer had left a microphone on the ground between the photo box and the dugout. Very early in the game, Perry picked up the microphone and began pretending to interview a kid sitting in the front row about what was going on in the game. The next day, when I was sitting in the stands behind the Rangers dugout for Perry's start. The Sox knocked him out in the first inning, but as he came off the field, I cheered him loudly.

I'd like to think I would be able to give people such positive experiences if I were talented enough to make a living at baseball.

maurice
12-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Foulke and Howry were both very cool.

It's a shame the know-nothing Chicago media has free reign to bash Thomas, who by all accounts is a heck of a nice guy.

tsamdog
12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Although not a player, I did have a close encounter with Sox greatness. A buddy and I were walking up one of the ramps at Old Comiskey and caught up with an older gentleman with a limp. That gentleman happened to be the owner of the Sox, Bill Veeck....and he was just that, a gentleman. We shook his hand and told him how much fun we were having that summer ('77). Mr. Veeck asked us where we were from (IN) and what we did for a living (college students). He made us feel as though he was truly interested in what we were saying. Finally, after a full 15 minute conversation with two complete strangers, he smiled, thanked us for our support, and wished us well in our schooling. He then turned, and continued his slow walk up the ramp. I have never forgotten that meeting nor the gentleman who made it special.

DC Sox Fan
12-27-2004, 02:42 PM
This is a pretty obscure one, but for me it's Wayne Nordhagen. My folks went to a game at comiskey and were BS'ing with some folks about how great he was because no one had ever heard of him. My mom (jokingly) tells the people sitting next to them that she's the president of his fan club. He hits one out.

Later in the season, the Sox came to Balmur. My parents made a sign that said "we want wallopin' wayne" and Julio Cruz got him to come out of the dugout and pointed, laughing.

The next year, I got to go with them to Balmur, and I don't remember how, but after the game, we were standing behind the dugout when Wayne came up into the stands to talk with us, shake hands, take pictures. Really nice guy, and my earlies Sox memory- I couldn't have been older than 4.

twsoxfan5
12-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Frank Thomas because I was pushded into the field, by some crazy fans when I was about 13, trying to get his autograph and he helped back into the stands and asked the kids who were smashing me against the guard rail if they could please step back. What a guy, huh?

house215
12-27-2004, 04:05 PM
If it was Ed's party, I was there! Crazy night. Neil Cotts seemed very nice.. but I have to say, he dresses like a Wrigleyville homo! :) I guess if you are 24 and make crazy cash playing a game, you can get away with that.It was for Brian Washburne.

FJA
12-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso and Jack McDowell all come to mind, but not for anything specifically.

I met Steve Lyons at Chicago Ridge Mall when I was probably 8- or 9-years old, and I had the hiccups. Steve was really nice, and helped me to get rid of them.

At the All-Star Fan Fest two years ago, Carl Everett managed to get in some autographs and photos despite his MLB handlers trying desperately to get him away from the fans. Same with PK. (It is worth noting that Messiah Prior was a complete jerk in the exact same situation, despite the fact it was mostly young kids trying to get his autograph; he wouldn't even look at them--just walked quickly and stared straight ahead)

I think the friendliest player title, for me, goes to Robin Ventura. My brother was in Children's Memorial for quite some time when he was younger, and Sox players are always hanging around there. Robin was the player who was there the most at that time, at least according to my mom who was there all the time. I met him at Children's once, maybe twice. A few years later, after my brother had been out of the hospital a few years, my mom took me to one of Robin's signings at a local baseball card shop. He remembered who both of us were, and talked for some time with us. That was in the early '90s, and ever since then, he's been my favorite Sox player.

Mammoo
12-28-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm a 52 yo WS fan and I've never met a player (go figure)! So I asked my wife (born and raised in Bridgeport). She says relief pitcher Bob Locker (good old #23) was extremely friendly when she and her friends would hang around by the players lot at Old Comiskey Park!

She says Moose Skowron is a close second on the friendliness scale.

Happy New Year!:smile:

Foulke29
12-28-2004, 01:01 PM

See, my brother met Jose in California, and he told me that Jose was a nice guy.

He said that he said, 'Hiya!' to Sandy Alomar, and Sandy told my brother that he'd shake his hand, but that was all he was getting...

ChiSox14305635
12-29-2004, 02:13 AM
I haven't met any Sox players. :whiner:

But about 17 years ago, my father was working downtown and who would he meet in a restaurant, but Wade Boggs (eating chicken, of course). He got me his autograph and said he was very nice.

Milw
12-29-2004, 04:03 AM
Tom Paciorek was a class act. I met him at Oakbrook Center once, told him I liked his announcing and he offered me an autograph and some prime seats to that night's game (a rainout against the Devil Rays, but oh well).

Ray Durham and Bob Howry were both very humble and somewhat shy, but seemed to be nice guys.

Mike Caruso is one of the biggest jerks I've ever met. I was very pleased to see his career go down the tubes!

sox7235
12-29-2004, 04:26 AM
In 2003, I was at the Sox/Cubs game where Rowand hit the HR to tie the game. Before the game, the group I was on the bus trip with were able to land seats in the bullpen bar. Loaiza was shagging balls in the OF during batting practice and every time he caught one would throw them to us in the bar. All in all about 7 of us got a ball from Loaiza. Soon after he came over and autographed each one. Not really meeting him, but a class act nonetheless.

Hangar18
12-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Id have to say Aaron Rowand. Would love to see a bobblehead of him too ...

wassagstdu
12-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Once saw the Sox play at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. After BP when most everyone else was back in the clubhouse, I noticed Greg Hibbard out on the field playing catch with a kid. The kid was handicapped and not really able to catch or throw much, but he was obviously loving it. Hibbard stayed with it for a long time and was very patient. No cameras, nobody watching, just a nice guy doing something ordinary.

Chez
12-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Scott Eyre. Very friendly and down-to-earth.

ewokpelts
12-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Once saw the Sox play at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. After BP when most everyone else was back in the clubhouse, I noticed Greg Hibbard out on the field playing catch with a kid. The kid was handicapped and not really able to catch or throw much, but he was obviously loving it. Hibbard stayed with it for a long time and was very patient. No cameras, nobody watching, just a nice guy doing something ordinary.that's class....
Gene

ode to veeck
12-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Id have to say Aaron Rowand. Would love to see a bobblehead of him too ...
This could be one of the all-time greats, especially if it came with an attached section of the CF wall that Aaron's head constantly bobbled up against.

Sorry Crash, I just couldn't resist.

mike squires
12-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Great thread! My experiences would have to rate Kittle and Wunsch near the top. I met Kelly at the arch after a Sox/Cards game. He took the time to sign my ball and take a picture.

Kitty was always great and seemed to always make it a point to help make a childs' day.

Hawk is always great also. I went up to him and ased him if Herm was going to be there. He said he hadn't seen him and also said Herm had lost 60 pounds. I said good for him. He said "doggone right, good for him!" Another time I handed him a card of his from the 60's and said look at that handsome young man. He replied with, "boy I'll tell ya" I also gave him a book to sign with his pic in it ball 4 by JIm B.) I said when you writing a book? He said I'd have to find someone to read it.

BlackJack was pretty cool the few times I've met him. We've talked a little Wilco music and after one of his shows I said, "Hey Jack, how bout a pick?" He said there's pins and stickers here.But he ended up reaching into his pocket and handed me a pick. It looks cool in a ball case next to his signed ball.

I've har a few positives about Kevin Hickey but he must ahvebeen having a bad day when encounteed him. This past summe I was desperate for him to sgn the back of my old Comiskey seat...He made the gesture that he'd be there in a second. He obviously noticed me several times after that. He went inside to pitch some batting practce I suspect and came back and sat n he dugout. I leaned over therailing and said Kevin throwing up my arms lke what thehell. I wasn't being rude or pushy or anything and he finally came over and signed my seat and ball with the res of the 83 players.

Iwritecode
12-29-2004, 02:06 PM
My vote is for Kelly Wunsch. At Soxfest last year he was nice enough to come over to my table at the bar and talk to my wife and my friends girlfriend when they were too shy to walk up and talk to him theirselves.

I talked to Rowand a couple of times in the bar at last year's Soxfest as well. Found out that he's a Bears fan. :cool:

ChiSox14305635
12-29-2004, 02:16 PM
My vote is for Kelly Wunsch. At Soxfest last year he was nice enough to come over to my table at the bar and talk to my wife and my friends girlfriend when they were too shy to walk up and talk to him theirselves.

I talked to Rowand a couple of times in the bar at last year's Soxfest as well. Found out that he's a Bears fan. :cool:
He's a huge Bears fan. I remember FSN Chicago (before Comcast Sportsnet took over) doing a segment with him interviewing Bears & Packers fan at a game last year. He was wearing an Urlacher jersey.

mikesouthside
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
I went to Boston in 2002 and ran into Frank outside the hotel. We talked for a few minutes about dogs...yes dogs...ha. He was cool as can be. It turned out that we both bought bulldogs from the same breeder and that they were from the same litter. When I bought the dog the lady told me Frank Thomas bought the two other dogs and I didn't believe until that conversation. He signed my baseball and said have fun in Boston. CLASS ACT.

robiwho
12-29-2004, 04:39 PM
This may be the strangest way to meet a Sox player, but Chris Snopek and his wife (whose name I can't recall) were in my childbirth-prep class in 1998. He was only at a couple of the classes, because he was on the road, of course. He was a really nice guy, though definitely not the smartest guy you were ever going to meet.

The funny thing was that I was the only person in the class who knew who he was. I think he was surprised to have the only person to talk to him about the White Sox be one of the women in the class!

6th_starter
12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Mike Cameron was a cool guy - I had a picture of us together that I brought to fuji picture day. I handed him the picture and a sharpie and he said 'we're not supposed to be signing anything today' - with that he asked for the picture and marker and took his time to personalize the picture and put a nice signature on it - not a scribble.

nccwsfan
12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Back in 1980 (8 years old at the time) my Dad took me to see the White Sox play in Milwaukee. I was decked out in my Sox cap and jersey, and right before the start of the game (when it wasn't time for players to sign autographs) Claudell Washington stopped his pregame throwing to come over and sign my program. Even as other kids were walking down to get a quick autograph he made it clear it was for "the Sox fan only". Long time ago, but that was the gist of it and I've always thought that was the coolest thing a Sox player has done....

Ozzie Guillen and Donn Pall were other guys that stand out as friendly players.

BigHurt359300
01-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, i know he isnt a Sox player, but Ricky Henderson waved to me once playing left field for the As

I went to Seattl when Freddy was a rookie, I was about 12 or something, I said that he was looking godd on the mound, and he said "Thanks, little guy" and signed my hat

Kelly Wunsch was nice to me too!

markopat
01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Minnie Minoso
Harold Baines
Dave Gallagher
Jack McDowell

All class acts...

konerko1413
01-02-2005, 10:33 PM
ive never been able to have a real discussion with a sox player, but as far as fan interaction goes, matsu lee in the bullpen is great with the fans, i always enjoy watching him joke around in the pen with the other players and fans, he has more fans then the rest of the bullpen lol j/k

southsidegirl
01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
I would say Buehrle. Garland was pretty nice too. I met him at Houlihan's last Soxfest after the first night's festivities had ended. He remembered us the next day and asked us how dinner was. I've heard that Garland was kind of a jerk though and called Paulie out in the clubhouse for letting a run get in.

Kelly Wunsch was really nice.

I really want to meet Hawk at Soxfest this year.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Well, i know he isnt a Sox player, but Ricky Henderson waved to me once playing left field for the As

I went to Seattl when Freddy was a rookie, I was about 12 or something, I said that he was looking godd on the mound, and he said "Thanks, little guy" and signed my hat

Kelly Wunsch was nice to me too!Somewhere, in one of these threads, I put a Rickey Henderson story that happened at the old Comiskey Park. He's a good sport. I just put it in last week, but I don't remember where.

John Carrara
01-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Pete Vuckovich, Pat Kelly, Jorge Orta, Jim Spencer, Ralph Garr. many more. But these all had time to be nice to my daughters when they were very young and starstruck. Garr would actually keep a running conversation with me and my friends in the first row in right field during the entire game. Vuckovich gave my daughters an autographed ball just afew days after his first major league win-a game I was also at. I told him if he kept pitching like that, he would win the Cy Young Award some day. His reply was "Oh, I didn't have **** out there." I told him I meant what I said. He did win the award about 6 years later-with the Brewers of course. My biggest thrill was in 1959 when Big Klu waved to me from th TV booth after one of his early games with the SOX-and of course he was the big hitting star in the losing World Series effort against the Dodgers. Also, Vin Scully-not a White Sox, but I met him in Milwaukee on the street and he was very gracious to me when I babbled about being abig fan of his which I am.

CHIsoxNation
01-04-2005, 01:06 AM
I would have to say Ozzie was the kindest that I met, with Robin Ventura being a close second. I live down the street from a primary care, when I was younger I had eye problems and went to the eye doctor a lot. Turns out, my eye doctor was a room over from one of the trainers for the White Sox. So it was pretty cool hanging out in the waiting room with some of the guys.
I dunno if many of you got the chance to meet Jerry Manuel, but he is another great guy. I played baseball with his son in high school and he would come to as many games as possible. He was a great father and a great guy, he had a lot of good things to say. I would put him up there at the top of my list for sure!

BigEdWalsh
01-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Tom Paciorek was easily the nicest. Fisk was nice too.
Of guys that have signed autographs for either me or my son, I'd have to say Sandy Alomar Jr was the nicest. Going way back, Pete Ward and Tom McCraw were nice guys.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
01-04-2005, 10:27 AM
tim "the rock" raines, now our 1st base coach, which i think is awesome. we were leaving a game and we saw him driving to exit and he pulled over right up to us to sign autographs for us and take pictures. he's awesome :bandance:

PaulDrake
01-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Considering how old I am, I've had relatively few interactions with Sox players. Moose Skowron, Bob Shaw and Billy Pierce from my youth come to mind. All very nice. Shaw had a reputation of being somewhat of a crank, but he made my day long ago as a ten year old kid. I saw Billy Pierce in 1961 and then under more relaxed conditions in 1999. The man is pure class. Intelligent, witty and a true old school gentleman. The best White Sox experience I ever had was with manager Chuck Tanner in 1974. A close friend and yours truly got to spend a little time with him in the clubhouse before a Sox game. He was friendly and genuine and gave the impression that he would have chatted with us all day if he had the time. I've never seen the baseball gods treat a team more shabbily than the 73 and 74 White Sox. I was happy beyond words when Tanner got his WS ring for the Pirates in 79. A couple of Sox fans who have more "insider" connections than I ever did sing the praises of Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee. I have been told that the media has done a real number on Thomas, that he is one of the best friends you can have, if lucky enough to be in his inner circle. Of course this is old news at WSI, many instances of the good Frank have made it to this site. Carlos Lee, I am told gets a bad rap on his baseball work ethic. He's still an adventure on the basepaths, but worked hard to make himself a better defensive player. He's basically a good human being too I'm told. Lastly FWIW, my two interactions with Ron Santo did not leave a good impression.

ARoman27
01-05-2005, 01:35 PM
With all the bad media attention placed on Frank, I feel it necessary to state that he really is a good guy. I've seen him out numerous times in Chicago and he's always been very generous with hello's. Once in NYC years back to see the Sox play the Yankees I was out after one of the games and nightclub in Manhattan and happen to see Frank, Foulke and Bill Simms. I had the waitress send over a round of drinks for them. When they received them Frank waived me over and I got to sit down and talk baseball for a bit. All real nice guys.

Palehose13
01-05-2005, 01:41 PM
With all the bad media attention placed on Frank, I feel it necessary to state that he really is a good guy. I've seen him out numerous times in Chicago and he's always been very generous with hello's. Once in NYC years back to see the Sox play the Yankees I was out after one of the games and nightclub in Manhattan and happen to see Frank, Foulke and Bill Simms. I had the waitress send over a round of drinks for them. When they received them Frank waived me over and I got to sit down and talk baseball for a bit. All real nice guys.That's a great story. Other than media reports, I haven't heard a bad thing about Frank from fans. My mom worked at the bank where Frank and Bo Jackson banked at years ago when they were on the team together. Both guys were very friendly to all the employees. I caught a foul ball at one of the games and asked my mom if she could get Frank to sign it. Of course they weren't supposed to ask for autographs at work, but when Frank came in and my mom told him that I caught a ball he told my mom where he would be having dinner that night and said maybe he'll see her later. My parents went out to dinner where he said he would be (with the ball, of course) and he signed it for them. My dad was really impressed with how nice he was considering what he heard from the media. Unfortunately, I was away at school and was unable to drive in for dinner...so I missed out on meeting him. :(:

SOXSINCE'70
01-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I met Dick Allen and Bill Melton at Soxfest '02.Very cool.

On the humorous side,I met Josh Paul's wife before a Sunday
game in 2001.She called herself "Josh Paul's better half".:D:

Neither I nor my friend could dispute this claim.:D:

alohafri
01-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Somewhere, in one of these threads, I put a Rickey Henderson story that happened at the old Comiskey Park. He's a good sport. I just put it in last week, but I don't remember where.
He is a great sport. We were sitting in left field during the playoffs in 93, harassing Rickey. He bent over and casually rubbed his rear end at us. We all stood up and applauded. He turned around with a smile on his face and doffed his cap.

Andy T Clown
01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Barry bought us a round at Fat Alberts after the 1990 Turn Back the Clock game.:gulp:

chazberry
01-07-2005, 01:26 AM
i have enjoyed a number of memorable encounters with Sox players but here are the highlights:
*the final night of McCuddy's & Danny O'Brien's included a lengthy drinking session with Bobby Thigpen (who bought his round) and Mark The Chief Salas (who signed a birthday autograph reading "Happy Birthday ....Cub Fan! Your pal The Chief") ... a great night of hilarity -- i had a beer with Fisk too!!!
* dick allen asked for the high five, laughing after seeing my note for him to sign my copy of his autobiography thusly: "To Charley, dont call me Chuck".
* Donn Pall and Billy Pierce and Rainbow and Frank at the 'Pitch & Hit Club' dinners ... always graciously accomodating ... and Jeff Torborg conversed with my group for quite a time there as well. a great gentleman.
* chanting for "Pope Donn Paul" from the bleachers in Milwaukee ... he remembered us from Chicago and really had fun with us ... i swear this was before Hawk called him "pope"
*Minnie countless times; Moose, especially if you're buyin'; Roland Hemond walking around the ball park, always happy and friendly; and Ken Berry, Cermak Plaza in Berwyn 1969 (thus my handle)!!!

Thanks for a great thread - wish the media was paying attention!

24thStFan
01-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Willie Harris! Last summer we made our annual pilgrimage from Florida for the Minnesota game on July 27th (that’s another story- :mad: ). Since I do some consulting work at Willie Harris’ old high school in Cairo , GA, I brought along a Syrupmaker football t-shirt. Willie was the # 1 wide HS receiver in GA and was recruited by Bobby Bowden at FSU.

I managed to get his attention after BP and gave him the shirt. He had to go in for a pre-game meeting but told me and my kids to wait around for him. Later on, he came out of the dugout and saw me still waiting. I asked him if he liked the shirt and he unbuttoned his Sox jersey and he had the Syrupmaker shirt on underneath! He posed for a couple of pictures and signed a ball for me and my daughters. It was a very cool experience for my family. Go Willie and Go Sox!

Milkman43
01-07-2005, 04:12 PM
In 2000 I went into the Sox clubhouse. The first player I saw was Jeff Abbot eating an Italian Beef sandwich. He was hands down the nicest.

chisox59
01-07-2005, 08:08 PM
It was 1964 and the Sox had traded away my hero, Nellie Fox. I remember buying a Houston Colt 45's baseball hat and wearing it everywhere. One of the local car dealers, Jim Graham Oldsmobile in Joliet, invited four Sox players to participate in an autograph session at his dealership. Mike Hershberger, Eddie Fisher, Ron Hansen and Hoyt Wilhelm were the players. In those days you didn't have to pay a dime for an autograph and my mom didn't even have to test drive a car. Mike Hershberger saw my hat as I approached him and said "45's! What's this". My mom told him that since they traded Nellie away I'd become a Houston fan. Hershberger said "Well, if you're gonna follow someone besides the Sox then Nellie's the guy to follow!" I followed Nellie and the Colts until he retired but I couldn't stay away from the Sox for very long.

In 1988 I took my three kids to a Sox/Mariners game. The promotion that day was a free polaroid picture taken with a Sox player. There were two players participating, Ozzie Guillen and Harold Baines. The lines were long and you had to pick one line or the other. We didn't even know which line we were in but it turned out to be Ozzie's. My son's both had their Sox hats on but my daughter didn't wear one. When it became her turn to get her picture taken with Ozzie he took his own hat off and put it on her head and then the picture was snapped. I've never forgotten that and neither has she!

zach074
01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
In 2000 I went into the Sox clubhouse. The first player I saw was Jeff Abbot eating an Italian Beef sandwich. He was hands down the nicest.
How did you get to do that?

SoxBoy14
01-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Two years ago on a Sunday evening, I'm hitting golf balls at a driving range in Lisle. A big pick-up drives up with Missouri license plates. A few minutes later, a guy starts hitting balls directly across from me. [he's lefty and I'm righty] He's shanking shots and I'm ripping it. He's wearing a University of Missouri hat. I look over and say "it took me three years to figure it out." He says "I've got a charity event tomorrow - I wish I had three years." [It was the White Sox charities event] IT'S BUEHRLE! Basically I said "holy ___", you're Mark Buehrle! I think he was surprised someone recognized him. We hit balls for 1/2 an hour talking about the Sox, Cubs and Cards. He's hated the Cubs since childhood. Good guy. No pretension. Amazingly, he walked past a bunch of people and no one had a clue who he was. He got into his pick-up and waved goodbye. It was cool. The owner came up to me and said "who was that guy?" I said "perhaps the best lefty pitcher in baseball." People around me were like "that was Mark Buehrle?" Idiots.

bigdommer
01-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Most of my interaction with players comes from waiting outside the players' parking lot at the old comiskey. I cannot remember one time I was waiting out there and Ozzie Guillen didn't sign at least one autograph. Most of the time, he signed until everyone left.

On another note, I stumbled upon the Sox team bus in Anaheim as they arrived for BP a couple of years ago. I went up to Paul Konerko and talked to him as if I new him well. He played along and we chatted for about five minutes. He even suggested getting a beer after the game, but it never happened.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I used to be an Andy Frain when I was in HS(going to Quigley South, that was a regular recruiting stop for them to find new employees). I remember working my 2nd Sox game at Old Comiskey, a game against the Tigers (Sox won 4-2). The Andy Frain "locker room" was on the same restricted concourse as the clubhouse entrance. It wasn't uncommon to see Herb go in and out of there. As I was leaving, i was talking to my supervisor, and literally ran into Fisk and Harold Baines. Mind you - grew up on the South Side, Sox fan my whole life, and I slam into one of the best catchers in baseball and a right fielder with a wicked arm.

I apologized like a maniac, and Fisk laughed and said, "Knowing it's a night game, you probably had to work harder than we did!" They talked to me for about 20 minutes....I was in heaven. Correction: Fisk talked, Harold smiled and laughed.

About 3 years ago I saw Fisk at Olympia Fields CC...I told him the story, he laughed, and was as pleasant then as he was 15 years before that. I'm not saying Sox players aren't all good people...but I will NEVER forget that.

LongLiveFisk
01-08-2005, 09:10 AM
:tomatoaward :threadrules: