PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Sportmart?

DumpJerry
12-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I was in the downtown (Chicago) Sportmart today on LaSalle (the old Morrie Mages location). They had a room chocked full of racks with Flubs' clothing. A rack with Yankee and Red Sox clothing. A small rack with White Sox hats. That's all for the ChiSox fans.

The heck with 'em!:angry: :angry:

P.S. I know Flub fans will say I'm just a whining Sox fan. I'm not. I'm just asking for respect. That's all.

SomebodyToldMe
12-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I was in the downtown (Chicago) Sportmart today on LaSalle (the old Morrie Mages location). They had a room chocked full of racks with Flubs' clothing. A rack with Yankee and Red Sox clothing. A small rack with White Sox hats. That's all for the ChiSox fans.

P.S. I know Flub fans will say I'm just a whining Sox fan. I'm not. I'm just asking for respect. That's all.
That's because all the Sox gear was sold out.

DumpJerry
12-24-2004, 09:23 PM
That's because all the Sox gear was sold out.Of course! :D:
(Do I need teal for this?)

BTW, if we go with the "sold out" theory, do we say this because they grossly underestimated the demand?

Brian26
12-24-2004, 09:24 PM

That store traditionally disrespects the White Sox. Rarely do they have anywhere close to the amount of Cubs merchandise in there.

DumpJerry
12-24-2004, 09:27 PM
That store traditionally disrespects the White Sox. Rarely do they have anywhere close to the amount of Cubs merchandise in there.However, to their credit, there are two rows of seats from the old Comiskey in the store for people to sit on as well as a pinwheel from the scoreboard. But...........the lack of merchandise makes me a little upset. Glad I buy my sporting goods elsewhere.

HomeFish
12-24-2004, 09:27 PM
This will continue to be the case until a certain ownership gets up, spends some money, and starts winning.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-24-2004, 09:31 PM
I think we should boycott all of them. The only place I can ever find a decent selection of sox gear is at grandstand or overpriced at the cell. I always have to buy sox stuff when I go to a game or online. All I ever see is cubs crap at sports stores! :(:

tadscout
12-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Imagine trying to find White Sox gear in Indy... you have Cubs, Reds, Cardinals, Yankees, and Red Sox gear before you can find White Sox stuff...

HomeFish
12-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Imagine trying to find White Sox gear in Indy... you have Cubs, Reds, Cardinals, Yankees, and Red Sox gear before you can find White Sox stuff...

I guarentee you that if the Sox started consistently winning, there would be more Sox stuff there than anyone could sell.

robertks61
12-24-2004, 09:51 PM
F-em all! Go White Sox!!!!!

Mickster
12-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Both the Sportmart and Sports Authorithy in Naperville are stock-full of Sox gear. I was actually pretty shocked. Usually the stock is 3-1 Cubs....

DumpJerry
12-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Both the Sportmart and Sports Authorithy in Naperville are stock-full of Sox gear. I was actually pretty shocked. Usually the stock is 3-1 Cubs....Sportmart and Sports Authority now have common ownership-Gart (or Garth?) Sports. They are based in Colorado.

lths06
12-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Galyans (spelling?) in Orland Park has pretty much exactly 50/50 Cubs/Sox merchandise. I havn't been to Sportmart in a while.

DumpJerry
12-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Galyans (spelling?) in Orland Park has pretty much exactly 50/50 Cubs/Sox merchandise. I havn't been to Sportmart in a while.Galyan's in Skokie is mostly Flubs, but so is the North Shore.

I did buy a nice Majestic Sox jersey there, however.

The best Sox gear is found at WSI, anyway!:smile:

Chisox003
12-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Weve all been Sox fans long enough to realize that this is a one baseball team town...The White Sox get no respect within Chicago, so we can't expect it anywhere else...If it aint the Flubbers its the Yankees and RedSox...

KW wants to fly under the radar, but the White Sox and their fans arent even on the radar!

Nellie_Fox
12-25-2004, 01:35 AM
It's called supply and demand, folks. If Sox stuff sold, they'd stock it. Sox stuff used to sell, unfortunately mainly to gangbangers. They are a business; they are not going to forgo profits for bias.

jordan23ventura
12-25-2004, 03:04 AM
Weve all been Sox fans long enough to realize that this is a one baseball team town...The White Sox get no respect within Chicago, so we can't expect it anywhere else...If it aint the Flubbers its the Yankees and RedSox...

KW wants to fly under the radar, but the White Sox and their fans arent even on the radar!:dtroll:

Damn!

Am I the only one who finds these threads tired and annoying?

Have you ever noticed how many sports fans there are in the world that go from team to team and show support to one that wins consistently?

When the Sox make the playoffs - consistently - their merchandise will fly off the shelves.

Baseball is like any other product in the world - if it doesn't work, no one buys it. No one promotes something that is broken. Winning is the only way to EVER market a franchise. When the Sox win, people will say 'hey, lets put out more Sox merchandise.' And fans will go to the store and say 'hey, I'm a Sox fan now, I'll buy this.'

Chicago is full of losing teams. It's not a Cubs town, it's a market begging for someone to grab hold and run with it.

hosieryofthegods
12-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Hey guys, FYI, look at TJ Max and Marshalls. I got a batting practice jersey for 20 bucks there.:)

Fredsox
12-25-2004, 05:55 AM
:dtroll:

Damn!

Am I the only one who finds these threads tired and annoying?

Have you ever noticed how many sports fans there are in the world that go from team to team and show support to one that wins consistently?

When the Sox make the playoffs - consistently - their merchandise will fly off the shelves.

Baseball is like any other product in the world - if it doesn't work, no one buys it. No one promotes something that is broken. Winning is the only way to EVER market a franchise. When the Sox win, people will say 'hey, lets put out more Sox merchandise.' And fans will go to the store and say 'hey, I'm a Sox fan now, I'll buy this.'

Chicago is full of losing teams. It's not a Cubs town, it's a market begging for someone to grab hold and run with it.
Amen Brother. An appearance in the World Series would do wonders for Sox merchandise sales.

jortafan
12-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I was in that same story recently. (My day job is about two blocks away).

The Sox stuff (jerseys, jackets, sweatshirts and other stuff) is NOT on the first floor with the other stuff. It is kept up on the 6th floor (I think that's right) along with all of the baseball gear (gloves, bats, catching equipment, etc.)

I actually think it is very appropriate. Sox fans who take their baseball more seriously than many Cubs fans do would be the types who would venture beyond the front entrance and perhaps check out a glove or a bat, even if we're beyond the age when we can realistically get much use out of them. Cubs frontrunners just want to buy the latest "Prior" or "Woods" jersey and get out the front door.

Personally, I want to get a Sox jersey with "Hernandez" on the back. I'm just waiting to see if he'll be keeping his traditional Number 26 (it was his uniform number as a Yankee, with the Cuban national team and with los Industriales de Habana), or if he'll have to change for the White Sox.

ewokpelts
12-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey guys, FYI, look at TJ Max and Marshalls. I got a batting practice jersey for 20 bucks there.:)which player? some marshalls have thomas and loaiza replicas for 40 bucks....
Gene

Brian26
12-25-2004, 11:09 AM
I was in that same story recently. (My day job is about two blocks away).

The Sox stuff (jerseys, jackets, sweatshirts and other stuff) is NOT on the first floor with the other stuff. It is kept up on the 6th floor (I think that's right) along with all of the baseball gear (gloves, bats, catching equipment, etc.)
I'll have to check that out. I pop in there every once in awhile. Generally, the Sox and Cubs stuff is both on the first floor, just to the left when you first walk in. I bought a BP jersey there last summer, along with some of the official dugout t-shirts. Maybe they moved the Sox stuff up to the 6th floor this winter to accomodate more Bears merchandise. I don't think I've EVER gone up to the 6th floor, so I'll have to check that out.

OzzieBall2004
12-25-2004, 12:29 PM
It's called supply and demand, folks. If Sox stuff sold, they'd stock it. Sox stuff used to sell, unfortunately mainly to gangbangers. They are a business; they are not going to forgo profits for bias.

Do you have any actual proof that the last time Sox merchandise sold is was mainly gangbangers who bought it??? I would imagine the last time it sold was 2000 and prior to that '94. We all know that Snoop and Dre and EazyE before them wore Sox gear, but I have a hard time believing it spiked demand more than a division title.....

TDog
12-25-2004, 12:52 PM
As I pointed out a couple of months ago, this September I saw more Sox gear in Harrods on Knightsbridge Road in London than I saw the last time I went to a Chicago-area Sportmart.

LongLiveFisk
12-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey guys, FYI, look at TJ Max and Marshalls. I got a batting practice jersey for 20 bucks there.:)
Damn straight! I bought an authentic (YES, AUTHENTIC, not replica) Sox away jersey about 3 years ago from Marshalls for $20 or $25. I don't think they realized they were authentic to be selling them at that price.

HomeFish
12-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Damn straight! I bought an authentic (YES, AUTHENTIC, not replica) Sox away jersey about 3 years ago from Marshalls for $20 or $25. I don't think they realized they were authentic to be selling them at that price.

Holy crap. I have to go to one of these stores.

zach074
12-25-2004, 11:06 PM
In the summer when i am at kohls i enjoy going to the sports department and turning around every cubs shirt.( they devote an entire wall to them)

DumpJerry
12-26-2004, 01:35 AM
In the summer when i am at kohls i enjoy going to the sports department and turning around every cubs shirt.( they devote an entire wall to them):rolling: I love it!

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2004, 02:26 AM
Do you have any actual proof that the last time Sox merchandise sold is was mainly gangbangers who bought it??? I would imagine the last time it sold was 2000 and prior to that '94. We all know that Snoop and Dre and EazyE before them wore Sox gear, but I have a hard time believing it spiked demand more than a division title.....How in the heck would I ever "prove" that? Like someone did some research?

All I can tell you is that just before I retired from the police department, when we'd have the little gang thugs in the lockup wearing Sox gear (and also Los Angeles Kings gear; those were the two we saw the most of then) I'd ask them who their favorite player was. I'd just get blank looks.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2004, 03:38 AM
White Sox hats (black w/ white logo) used to be the most popular sports hats in the country. Now they are still a top seller but not # 1. Dr. Dre, Snoop, and other rappers started wearing those hats over a decade ago making them extremely popular.

OzzieBall2004
12-26-2004, 06:09 AM
How in the heck would I ever "prove" that? Like someone did some research?

All I can tell you is that just before I retired from the police department, when we'd have the little gang thugs in the lockup wearing Sox gear (and also Los Angeles Kings gear; those were the two we saw the most of then) I'd ask them who their favorite player was. I'd just get blank looks.

heck...I dont know....sales figures? The fact remains that you said Sox merchandise "used to sell" mainly because of purchases by gangbangers. Now I realize some gang wore that hat and very well still might, but to attribute a sales spike to that based on your experiences with some gangbangers is a generalization, and albeit an incorrect one. All i'm saying is don't jump to conclusions and present a statement as fact that is merely your opinion.

ewokpelts
12-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Damn straight! I bought an authentic (YES, AUTHENTIC, not replica) Sox away jersey about 3 years ago from Marshalls for $20 or $25. I don't think they realized they were authentic to be selling them at that price. in99, they were selling the authentic rawlings jerseys at 25 becasue the sox went to majestic...it's a simple issue of closeout merch or overstock...marshalls is selling loaiza jerseys right now...why? cuz he's no longer here...that's all...
Gene

LongLiveFisk
12-26-2004, 11:48 AM
in99, they were selling the authentic rawlings jerseys at 25 becasue the sox went to majestic...it's a simple issue of closeout merch or overstock...marshalls is selling loaiza jerseys right now...why? cuz he's no longer here...that's all...
Gene
Aahh...ok. So there was an explanation after all. But hey, still a great deal regardless :smile:

Brian26
12-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Aahh...ok. So there was an explanation after all. But hey, still a great deal regardless :smile:
Great deal indeed. The difference between the old Rawlings jerseys and the new Majestic are very hard to notice. Other than the Rawlings/Majestic logo on the sleeve, the only major difference is that the diamond sock logo has an extra black outline around it on the new jerseys.

ewokpelts
12-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Great deal indeed. The difference between the old Rawlings jerseys and the new Majestic are very hard to notice. Other than the Rawlings/Majestic logo on the sleeve, the only major difference is that the diamond sock logo has an extra black outline around it on the new jerseys.also, the mlb authentic logo is different...for 25 bucks....i dont mind it getting messed up...

Gene

Mickster
12-26-2004, 07:40 PM
in99, they were selling the authentic rawlings jerseys at 25 becasue the sox went to majestic...it's a simple issue of closeout merch or overstock...marshalls is selling loaiza jerseys right now...why? cuz he's no longer here...that's all...
Gene
Buy the Loaiza jersey for $25, take off the Loaiza lettering ang bring it to sox fest to get re-lettered to any player you want for $30 or so. They will do it for you while you wait and will end up with an authentic jersey with your own player/number for under $60.

ewokpelts
12-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Buy the Loaiza jersey for $25, take off the Loaiza lettering ang bring it to sox fest to get re-lettered to any player you want for $30 or so. They will do it for you while you wait and will end up with an authentic jersey with your own player/number for under $60.i dont know if the lettering material can be removed...there's a adhesive that is heat sealed
Gene

zach074
12-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Buy the Loaiza jersey for $25, take off the Loaiza lettering ang bring it to sox fest to get re-lettered to any player you want for $30 or so. They will do it for you while you wait and will end up with an authentic jersey with your own player/number for under $60.
Or you can go to the garage sale buy a used one for $20 and have a very unique jersey. #57 Vic Darensbourg! o yea:bandance:

Mickster
12-26-2004, 08:26 PM
i dont know if the lettering material can be removed...there's a adhesive that is heat sealed
Gene
:?: I've taken lettering off of 2 authentic jerseys (one purch at sox garage sale) and both did not have any adhesive... :dunno:

wpmartin55
12-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I Live in Latvia (the former Soviet Union). The most popular baseball hat you see worn here is a White Sox hat. They know nothing about baseball here so I assume people just like the color- black and white. BTW the only way the Sox will become popular again is to win the Series. The Cubs already have the "loveable loser" racket cornered.

Mickster
12-27-2004, 11:16 AM
I Live in Latvia (the former Soviet Union). The most popular baseball hat you see worn here is a White Sox hat. They know nothing about baseball here so I assume people just like the color- black and white. BTW the only way the Sox will become popular again is to win the Series. The Cubs already have the "loveable loser" racket cornered.
:welcome:

Rocky Soprano
12-27-2004, 11:17 AM
In the summer when i am at kohls i enjoy going to the sports department and turning around every cubs shirt.( they devote an entire wall to them)
I always put Sox Caps on top of the Cub ones.

LVSoxFan
12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
You think that's bad? Try living in Lakeview, where the Sportmart there is dominated by Cubs stuff in a ratio of something like 9-1. The only thing I ever did buy there which was decent was a Sox batting practice jersey.

It's simple economics, even downtown. There's a jersey store on Michigan and while they have slightly more Sox stuff, it's pretty much Cub-mania. People buy more Cubs stuff because a) there's more Cub fans, b) there's more out-of-town Cub fans and c) Chicago's considered a "Cubs" town. Sorry, but it's the truth. There was an article after the Red Sox won the series about how now there's only one other team with a similar losing streak: the Cubs. COUGH. That's typical thinking.

I highly doubt there's some conspiracy to hate on the White Sox and promote the Cubs--if the White Sox stuff sold, everybody'd have it.

Luckily I have all the White Sox gear I'll ever need, so I'm set.

BTW that Sportmart on LaSalle is AWFUL. Embarassing in how dirty and gloomy it is. The one by me is much better (Barry & Clark).

For what it's worth, I got my jerseys at the Cell and I ordered the customized one online. It took a LONG time, but they did an excellent job--it was worth the wait.

robertks61
12-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I always put Sox Caps on top of the Cub ones.My kid & I always place Sox shirts in front of Cub shirts! We should draw a salary for marketing!

DumpJerry
12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
I Live in Latvia (the former Soviet Union). The most popular baseball hat you see worn here is a White Sox hat. They know nothing about baseball here so I assume people just like the color- black and white. BTW the only way the Sox will become popular again is to win the Series. The Cubs already have the "loveable loser" racket cornered.:welcome: to our friendly (as long as you're not a Cub fan) community. It's always nice to see support from people who live more than 10 miles from Comiskey.

By the way, do you know of any real good shortstops or secondbasemen in your country who would like to play for an American major league baseball team?