PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Expect A Breakout Year From?

JUribe1989
12-24-2004, 05:40 PM
I expect a breakout year from Joe Crede. I know I think this every year because of all the success he has from Late August and on, but hopefully he finally achieves breakout status. He hit .333 in his last ten games. He also hit .275 in September and October. He should at least be a .275 hitter.

RKMeibalane
12-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Joe Borchard

Slats
12-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Rowand

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Not so much of a break out, but I'm expecting a lot more consistency out of Juan Uribe, especially after we gave him a new contract. He was great some months, and then absolutely brutal in others. I'm also expecting some consistency out of Willie Harris! Anyone remember during April and May when Harris and Uribe were at the top of the order and getting on base at high rates? The offense was clicking every day! We'll need something like that again this year, except I'm guessing Scott Po will be at the top of the order instead of harris.

Chicago83
12-24-2004, 07:35 PM
I'd say either Uribe or Harris. Rowand has already ''broken out'', but it remains to be seen if it was just a one-year thing. I think Uribe will emerge as a solid starting SS and hopefully Harris will pull things together and become a solid number 2 with Pods. As for Crede, I think he will give us .250 and 20-25 HR, probably all we can expect from him, but good enough for the price.

NonetheLoaiza
12-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Uribe or Crede. I have a feeling that this is the year Crede busts out finally. Uribe showed he was clicking on all cylinders during some months of the year, so I think he will put together a solid year. Hopefully, well be seeing alot of the White Sox in October...

mike squires
12-25-2004, 01:22 PM
I will also say Crede but I siad him last year too. :o: Crede was brutal but if you just look at his stats he wasn't that awful. Unfortunatly with Thomas and Ordonez both out...it looked twice as bad.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-25-2004, 01:55 PM
If we demote him coming out of spring training, I suspect Jon Garland will blossom. He needs a shot to his rockhead to wake him up. The talent is there.

I suspect Uribe will deliver more than expected, but Rowand less. Together they'll be a wash.

The Crede we got is the Crede we'll have, 100 percent a known quantity. He's better than any available alternative... which isn't saying much for the Sox organization.

Harris sucks and shouldn't be playing everyday. By Memorial Day he won't be. I look for Posednik to bounce back from a crappy 2004.

I have absolutely nothing to back up any of this... just like everybody else in this thread.
:wink:

johnny_mostil
12-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Uribe or Crede. I have a feeling that this is the year Crede busts out finally. Uribe showed he was clicking on all cylinders during some months of the year, so I think he will put together a solid year. Hopefully, well be seeing alot of the White Sox in October...Doctor, we have here a textbook case of the disease Influenza sox-albus.The White Sox just got a solid offensive output out of a player always thought of as a good-field but light-hitting middle infielder and here we have bitching about him not hitting .330 all year. [The only thing graver is the related condition, dementia credephobia, advocating wasting this particular fielder's strongest asset by using him at a position minimizing his skills as a player in order to get more light-hitting middle infielders in the lineup.] The prognosis is excellent, provided the patient consumes mass quantities of :gulp:, buys season tickets, stays away from Ozzie Guillen, and recovers his senses.

OzzieBall2004
12-25-2004, 03:35 PM
I don't really expect it, but I think it would benefit the sox the most to have Harris have a breakout year. To have him bat late in the order (8 or 9), and be effective would be most beneficial to the team. That way he could turn the lineup over to the top of the order, and ideally, have a lot of 1st and 3rd situations with one or no outs. Odviously if he did start clicking and batting for average and a nice OBP, he'd probably be moved to the top of the order or second, and then they'd be able to move Uribe down to 5 or 6 and have some pop and above average speed lower in the order.

Also, with the subtraction of Maggs and Carlos, it would be nice to get 25-30 HR ands a .270-.280 average out of Crede. He's shown he has the talent, but when he's bad he's downright awful. Consistency is key.

Finally, I expect zilch from the catchers. Anyone who really thinks Jamie Burke can consistently hit .300 is crazy, but I think Ben Davis will get the bulk of the work, and he had a pretty good stretch last year too. I think he was batting .091 when we got him, and he ended up hitting in the low .200's. I'm content with .250-.270, a decent OBP and a few homers her and there. What troubles me more than their offensive output is their defensive abilities. I might be wrong but I think they both have pretty poor stats behind the plate. I think CERA is an overrated stat though. You're really at the mercy of the guy you catch, and Davis caught Contreras, so of course his would be higher that Burke (who caught Buehrle a number of times).

Palehose13
12-25-2004, 04:00 PM
I expect Podsednik to be the man. IMO, he doesn't have to replicate 2003, but I will be happy with .290 BA and 60+ SB...and of course a pretty good OBP. I think he will be the answer to the "Who hits leadoff?" question we have had for so many years.

I second PHG's thoughts on Garland and Crede and I will be happy to be wrong about Crede.

And of course, these are all my opinions and have absolutely no way to back up these projections.

batmanZoSo
12-25-2004, 11:02 PM
I expect a breakout year from Joe Crede. I know I think this every year because of all the success he has from Late August and on, but hopefully he finally achieves breakout status. He hit .333 in his last ten games. He also hit .275 in September and October. He should at least be a .275 hitter.
Jose Contreras. You got all the stuff and potential and you've been reunited with your wife and play in a comfortable, non-pressure-packed climate. Time to put up or shut up. I predict he'll have a good year.

Garland, too. Not that I'm predicting it...but it's time for him to put up or shut up as well. (actually he should probably shut up regardless, but that's another story) I expect a winning record and an era under 4.5. Not Cy young, just be worthy is all.

Crede. Do something or you're gone.

zach074
12-25-2004, 11:56 PM
anyone would be nice:bandance:

veeter
12-26-2004, 12:07 AM
I too expect this year's breakout player to be Posednik. Just like Jose Valentin's first year with the Sox put him on the map; I feel Pods will do the same. I also expect Harris to improve. Will he break out? I don't know. He could improve his stolen bases and bunting but I do feel he gets a very undeserved rough ride by a lot of guys. His numbers stack up with the great Jerry Hairston Jr. yet he's talked about like he was useless. I feel his defense is strong enough that he doesn't have to be a force at the plate.

DickAllen72
12-26-2004, 12:18 AM
I really think Willie Harris will have a breakout year--providing he gets a chance to play regularly at 2B, not being jerked around between 2B where he excells ans CF where he sucks. Also, if he's hitting around .290 for a while and then goes hitless in two games they shouldn't pull him. Give him a decent chance to sink or swim and I think he'll turn out swimingly.

Having said all that, if they could acquire Polanco I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Realist
12-26-2004, 01:29 AM
I'm going to go with Harris because it's going his 3rd year and the good players tend to blossom in year three. Here's to hoping he's a good player. :gulp:

I've pretty much given up on expecting anything more than consistant mediocrity outta Garland, but the fact that it appears he's fallen to number five in our starting pitcher depth chart may light a fire under his underachieving butt.

We've seen Crede smack the hell outta the ball and we've seen him suck canal water. Hopefully he pulls a "Konerko" on us and has a great season. I still believe there's an outside chance that he can do for us what Ventura once did.

slavko
12-26-2004, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see more of Ross Gload. His stats merit it, but the only way he can get more at bats is at the expense of Konerko, since Ross can't play the outfield worth a damn. Maybe he could DH some when Frank is twaeked in one way or another.

johnny_mostil
12-26-2004, 01:05 PM
I'd like to see more of Ross Gload. His stats merit it, but the only way he can get more at bats is at the expense of Konerko, since Ross can't play the outfield worth a damn. Maybe he could DH some when Frank is twaeked in one way or another.
Careful. "Career minor leaguer posts good season" often means "career minor leaguer posts fluke season". You would think there's a reason he spent a while Down There.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I expect Joe Crede to have a big year. He'll hit .275, drive in 90+, play solid defense, and be featured as one of the best players no one's heard of. He'll make lots of underated lists.

Jabroni
12-26-2004, 03:18 PM
I have a feeling that if Willie Harris is in the #9 spot in the lineup that he could have a good year.

bafiarocks03
12-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Willie Harris! Oh yea man!!!! at least some of you guys agree with me!! YAY!

dugwood31
12-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Jon Garland! Seems like it just needs to click for him. Why not next year, when he's at best our 4, and probably our 5!

chaz171
12-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I predict a Bust out year for Carlos Lee. Although it will do us no good becuse we traded him for a 29 year old Doughnut fetcher and a Rockhead stiff relief pitcher.

soxfan43
12-28-2004, 05:33 PM
ben davis. someone needs to step up at catcher and he can switch hit and was a very high draft pick for some reason, so maybe a full season with the sox will help him realize his potential. or maybe he's just another bust, we shall see

StockdaleForVeep
12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
garland

or

everett...hey, he can have another breakout cant he?

StockdaleForVeep
12-28-2004, 05:54 PM
I predict a Bust out year for Carlos Lee. Although it will do us no good becuse we traded him for a 29 year old Doughnut fetcher and a Rockhead stiff relief pitcher.
He will be able to face Cub pitching more often now and he's always murdered cub pitching.

Whitesox029
12-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Stockdale, every time I see your sig I laugh out loud.:rolling:

stillz
12-28-2004, 07:16 PM
If Crede can just find a way to focus like he seems to with the game on the line, I think he'll post career numbers (.275 avg and 30 dingers).

Harris needs to up his OBP and swipe bags. Raines and Podsednick should help his game, and hopefully he can stick in 2005.

Garland need to stop being a total weenie and perform with confidence.

I like the chances for a breakout from numerous sox players. It's a winter curse, but here's to hope...

:gulp:

doublem23
12-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Jon Garland better. It's becoming a bit frustating waiting for him to find it all for the last 3-4 years now.

MeanFish
12-28-2004, 07:51 PM
If Crede can just find a way to focus like he seems to with the game on the line, I think he'll post career numbers (.275 avg and 30 dingers).

Harris needs to up his OBP and swipe bags. Raines and Podsednick should help his game, and hopefully he can stick in 2005.

Garland need to stop being a total weenie and perform with confidence.

I like the chances for a breakout from numerous sox players. It's a winter curse, but here's to hope...

:gulp:
Joe Crede is ALWAYS focused, but that's largely a part of his problem. When the game is on the line, he's more hardened than most opposing pitchers and can take advantage of the likely mistake pitch. However, when it comes to making changes to his swing, he's so focused on hitting that he sometimes forgets the little things involved with doing so. Getting practice this winter to wipe out his bad habits should have a really positive effect, because that way he won't have to think about them as much in game situations.

NonetheLoaiza
12-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Doctor, we have here a textbook case of the disease Influenza sox-albus.The White Sox just got a solid offensive output out of a player always thought of as a good-field but light-hitting middle infielder and here we have bitching about him not hitting .330 all year.
bitching?

Baby Fisk
12-29-2004, 02:44 PM
The Cuban Missles (not so much breakouts as roaring comebacks to drive Steinbrenner mad while Brown, Vazquez, et al implode). :yup:

soxfan26
12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
The Cleveland Indians

FedEx227
12-29-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm going to Garland too, hes in the 5th starter role, so really nothing will be expected from him...I think its about time we get a 15-10, 15-12 record from him with hopefully an ERA lower than 4.5

nccwsfan
12-29-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm hoping for a breakout year from Crede....a lot of critics last year, and deservedly so, but it would be nice if he could put up some nice numbers in 2005.