PDA

View Full Version : Best Offseason move?

Jerome
12-23-2004, 10:31 PM
This has been a very busy offseason for KW and the White Sox. Although there is still talk of adding David Eckstein, all the significant moves are probably made. So far, what does everyone think? How would everyone rank the moves KW made? Personally, I really liked the Dye signing.

1. Signing Jermaine Dye. I think this may be a Loaiza-esqe find for KW. We got him for a very bargain price, and he has the potential to do great things at the Cell now that he's out of Network Assc. Collesium or whatever the hell it's called. This is the kind of 'diamond in the rough' find our team needs to be successful at our current payroll.

2. Signing Orlando Hernandez. We needed at least one more starter.

3. Hermanson. A few years ago this guy was a pretty good starting pitcher for the Expos. He can certainly succeed in the bullpen. I wouldn't mind turing to him as a closer if Shingo can't get it done.

4. Resigning Uribe. Not really a huge move but figured I'd mention it. Unless he totally drops the ball next year, we've got a decent SS for the next few years. Certainly better than Jose.

5. Trading Carlos Lee for Podsednik aka the apocalypse. It just doesn't make sense to trade your best/second best hitter for a guy who's coming off a season where he hits around .240 and his OBP is .313. I don't care how many bases he steals. Personally I belive the real reason that this trade was made was as a salary dump. This trade's saving grace is that we got El Duque with the money.

(With apologies to Kevin White or whatever that guys name was we aquired a few weeks ago.)

Palehose13
12-24-2004, 10:41 AM
#2 couldn't have happened if #5 didn't happen. So far, CLee has brought the Sox 4 players strengthening the rotation, the bullpen, and IMO, the team "makeup" with Podsednik.

Jerome, when was the last time Singleton stole 70 bases? :rolleyes:

Jerome
12-24-2004, 01:05 PM
#2 couldn't have happened if #5 didn't happen. So far, CLee has brought the Sox 4 players strengthening the rotation, the bullpen, and IMO, the team "makeup" with Podsednik.

Jerome, when was the last time Singleton stole 70 bases? :rolleyes:

I know, Singleton never stole 70 bases. I was just really sad when the trade was made and wanted to express my anger in my sig. I think Singleton was called up later in his career, as was Podsednik. Their hitting numbers were similar, that's why I compared them.

You're right though - singleton only stole like 20 bases.

Hangar18
12-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Best Offseason Move? This may not count, but getting rid of MIKE JACKSON.
wow did he hurt this team. I can remember about 5 games that we almost
won, but he helped put out of reach with his late inning Pyrotchnics.

:reinsy " Hangar hangar hangar, You keep forgetting one Important Thing.......Look at all the Money We Saved signing Jackson !!!!!!! "

Hangar18
12-24-2004, 02:11 PM

Palehose, I respectfully disagree. The SOX ignored their Pitching problems since 2000, and simply Created a New Hole to Fix their Other Holes.

This isnt how Championships are won. What would Hangar have done? I wouldve went out LAST YEAR and signed Kenny Rogers (and yes, overpaid if I had to, just to give last years CORE team a chance) instead of being cheap and rolling the dice with a bunch of minor leaguers, esp knowing full well that Jon Garland ISNT a #3 starter. hes a #5. I wouldve gotten Eckstein here. KW failed, I wouldnt have. The Cubs got FAR MORE for what they traded away, and theres NO REASON to believe the SOX couldnt have done the same. Why do you think that certain other team keeps "trading" with the Pirates, and Expos and Marlins? Because theyre willing to SPEND. simple huh?

This guy :reinsy , wont spend, continueing to count on retreads, never-weres, has-beens and reclamation projects.
This isnt how Championships are won.
The last few years have seen this team Creating New Holes to Fix Other Holes.
This isnt how Championships are won.
Eckstein was out there, and having an Eckstein AND a Renteria at the top of lineup featuring Lee, Thomas, Konerko, (with your bench being Significantly Strengthened with Willie Harris now there) not to mention the Signings they just made, this team is capable of WINNING in October, not just satisfied with Getting to October (only to be swept). You build your team
to WIN IN OCTOBER, not just to win your division. Merry Christmas

Palehose13
12-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Hangar, while I agree with your thought of not filling a hole by creating a hole, I think the Podsednik-Lee trade filled more holes (BP and SP) than it created. I would have been against a Konerko, Garland, etc for RJ trade because it would have created holes and not given payroll relief.

I don't think a 75mil payroll is cheap, but I live in Milwaukee where they are happy if their payroll goes over 40 million.

The Sox have 5 solid starting pitchers, a very good bullpen, a good defensive team, speed and base-stealing threats, and yes...they still have power. I think thge 2005 White Sox is going to be a very good, balanced team and will be in the playoffs.

Parrothead
12-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Green seats !

NonetheLoaiza
12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
i think its been shoring up our bullpen with hermanson and vizcaino. that could prove to help us in one run games...or hurt us...