PDA

View Full Version : What do the national media know? Nothing!

TornLabrum
12-23-2004, 08:48 PM
I just finished watching "Chicago Tonight: The Year in Review" on WTTW, Ch. 11. One of the guests was Lester Munson, a Chicago based writer for SI, and a former member of the Sportswriters on TV panel.

When asked by moderator Joel Weisman about the Sox in 2004, he said, "Ozzie Guillen was pure oxygen" but "when all was said and done, he wasn't able to do any more with them than Jerry Manuel could in 2003."

Interesting Lester, except Manuel did have two guys named Thomas and Ordonez playing him all season in 2003, a luxury Ozzie didn't have. Of course the big story to Munson was the collapse of the Chicago National League Baseball Club.

lths06
12-23-2004, 08:51 PM
I just finished watching "Chicago Tonight: The Year in Review" on WTTW, Ch. 11. One of the guests was Lester Munson, a Chicago based writer for SI, and a former member of the Sportswriters on TV panel.

When asked by moderator Joel Weisman about the Sox in 2004, he said, "Ozzie Guillen was pure oxygen" but "when all was said and done, he wasn't able to do any more with them than Jerry Manuel could in 2003."

Interesting Lester, except Manuel did have two guys named Thomas and Ordonez playing him all season in 2003, a luxury Ozzie didn't have. Of course the big story to Munson was the collapse of the Chicago National League Baseball Club.
I think we're all used to it by now.

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 08:53 PM
It happens. It's annoying, but it happens everyday...

TornLabrum
12-23-2004, 09:00 PM
The problem for me is that the moderator, Joel Weisman, is a Sox fan and should have been all over Munson for that faux pas.

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 09:41 PM

The 2003 team also had more talent overall especially when we added Everett and Alomar. I know, the same thing happened in 04, but it wasn't the same now was it? Everett was fat and Alomar was nonexistent. Manuel also had Colon for the whole year while Guillen went the first half with nothing but Buehrle, a fading Loaiza and...uh...that's it.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Just lazy reporters talking about whatever pops into their mind first.

Who can blame Munson? He spent the whole summer following that other team up north to much bother keeping up with the story on the south side. Details, details...

It's bad enough to read their columns in the paper and hear them on their sportsblab radio shows. It's quite another to listen to their unvarnished ignorance spouting an uninformed response to a question they clearly weren't prepared to answer.

OurBitchinMinny
12-23-2004, 10:15 PM

yeah but manuel didnt have garcia in his rotation or shingo in his bullpen. Ozzie did not impress me at all last year. But it was his first year so ill give him the benefit of the doubt

oldcomiskey
12-23-2004, 10:26 PM
yeah but manuel didnt have garcia in his rotation or shingo in his bullpen. Ozzie did not impress me at all last year. But it was his first year so ill give him the benefit of the doubt
He did not gave Garcia all year and Shingo wasnt the closer all year either

Jurr
12-23-2004, 10:48 PM
The thing about the media is that they've got a job to do. They've gotta talk about the 'sexy' issues, such as the Yankees and all of their mess. They salivate when something big comes along, such as the steroid case, the Pistons brawl, and all of that. So, if you're a media guy talking about the Chicago baseball scene, you're talking about the Cubs to make your money.

Now, the thing for the Sox to do is to come out with a grudge, play some cohesive and smart baseball, win a buttload of games, get to the playoffs for a couple of consecutive seasons, and then we're going to see them become the 'sexy' team to talk about. Until that moment comes together, the Sox are going to be our little secret, and I'm not too upset about that. Our time will come.

Viva Medias B's
12-23-2004, 11:11 PM
The problem for me is that the moderator, Joel Weisman, is a Sox fan and should have been all over Munson for that faux pas.Also, isn't fellow panelist Mike Flannery a Sox fan?

SoxBoy14
12-24-2004, 12:12 AM
We will remember who was with US and who was with THEM when the time comes. Let's hope it's next October. I intend to remind the media at every step whose side they're on. They can all go to ......

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

kaufsox
12-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Sorry to say, but from a national stand point, the Cubs collapse was a bigger story. The Sox were finished after their 10 game losing streak in August. The Cubs implosion down the stretch, what 1-7 or something like that? is a choke job for the ages. Also the Cubs had a lot more preseason hype and did not live up to it, makes for a great story. There was a time when the Sox were the sexy team, say 1990-1994, when the Cubs were the afterthought. It will happen again. Like Jurr said, a couple of playoff runs, especially a deep playoff run and all of the focus will turn back south. Merry Christmas folks!!

TDog
12-24-2004, 02:53 AM
Tanking and missing the Wild Card can't equate to losing some sort of real title. The Wild Card is usually determined by who is hottest among a group of also-rans. In recent years, they remain hot into the postseason. (When was the last time a first-place team actually won the World Series?) The story of the Cubs collapse started in March, or maybe the previous October, but obviously the failure of the favored Cubs to challenge the surprising Cardinals, and then the failure of the vaunted Cubs to make it into second place and the playoffs where every sportwriter said they were the team no one wanted to face was indeed a bigger national story than the White Sox losing their two best hitters to injury and failing to make it out of second place.

DaleJRFan
12-24-2004, 04:00 AM

You are all going to want to shoot me, but honestly, the "collapse of the national league chicago baseball team" was a bigger story. Considering the amount of praise, etc... they get and what their expectations were, it was a bigger story that they went NO WHERE. I am glad its a bigger story. They stunk, and the whole nation watched!

:)

I completely agree with what you all say about Ozzie vs. Manuel. He had a lot more tools to pick from and a lot more to work with, and Ozzie did just as well with a lot less.

TornLabrum
12-24-2004, 05:31 AM
You're right. He didn't have Garcia or Shingo. He had Colon in the rotation and he'd driven Keith Foulke out of town.

TornLabrum
12-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Also, isn't fellow panelist Mike Flannery a Sox fan?
Yes, he is. Flannery had nothing to say for some reason.

TornLabrum
12-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Sorry to say, but from a national stand point, the Cubs collapse was a bigger story. The Sox were finished after their 10 game losing streak in August. The Cubs implosion down the stretch, what 1-7 or something like that? is a choke job for the ages. Also the Cubs had a lot more preseason hype and did not live up to it, makes for a great story. There was a time when the Sox were the sexy team, say 1990-1994, when the Cubs were the afterthought. It will happen again. Like Jurr said, a couple of playoff runs, especially a deep playoff run and all of the focus will turn back south. Merry Christmas folks!!
You're right about the Cubs being the national story, but Munson is based in Chicago and the program was "Chicago Tonight." You'd think he'd remember a couple of basic facts about the Sox, like who was out for over half the year, before he makes a statement about Guillen doing no better than Manuel.

hose
12-24-2004, 08:23 AM

First off Chicago tonight is a great show even though a yuppie cub fan like Sirott took over, Phil Ponce is better. I like Joel Weisman's Friday 1/2 hour week in review segment the best as long as Mike North isn't one of the guest.

Munson is a cub fan so his remarks don't surprise me. A flippant remark about Ozzie without much substance is about par for the course.

At least he didn't go on and on about his daughters swim team like Telander.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2004, 09:38 AM
It would be refreshing for Munson and his ilk to speak intelligently about all the major pro sports teams when prompted to do so. After all, he is getting PAID to write his opinions. It's not like Weisman asked Munson a question out of the blue about Lane Tech's sophomore football program.

Unfortunately, Munson and his ilk being clueless about the Sox is just par for the course. That doesn't make it right and it certainly shouldn't be excused, least of all by Sox Fans.

I surfed right past Weisman's panel discussion last night because I've never been too impressed with the thinking behind the opinions I've heard expressed there. Now that Hal has given his report, I'm glad I tuned in Flight of the Phoenix (for the millionth time) on AMC as background noise while I wrapped presents.

To paraphrase what the German model airplane designer had to say, "The only thing remarkable about you, is your STUPIDITY!"

:)

Hangar18
12-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Just lazy reporters talking about whatever pops into their mind first.

Who can blame Munson? He spent the whole summer following that other team up north to much bother keeping up with the story on the south side. Details, details...

PHG, why do you think Ive been calling the Chicago Media the LAZIEST WORKERS EVER ? Munson COULDVE gotten points with smart fans
if he mentioned that this team was far WEAKER from Manuels teams
because of a WORSE BENCH, WORSE BULLPEN (Mike Jackson hurt this team
far more than anyone cares to notice), LOSS OF a #1 Pitcher (which the team didnt bother to replace). All it took was a injury here or there and this
team would be EXPOSED. Thats exactly what happened.

Ozz still gets a better grade, BARELY, than Manuel, only because Manuel had a much better team to work with, but he didnt manage the bullpen (KOCH) or the lineup well (Benching Thomas for Konerko during key games)
Hello 2006

Lip Man 1
12-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Jurr says: "Our time will come."
The problem is will any of us still be alive when it does....

Lip

eshunn2001
12-24-2004, 02:17 PM
I think we're all used to it by now.
We are used to it. but Ilove your madden pic. That is Great. EA could ki$$ my @$$. And for that matter so could the NFL for the next 5 years. There Will be no EA or NFL products in my home for the next 5 years.