PDA

View Full Version : Alex Cora?

JUribe1989
12-23-2004, 06:41 PM
What's the latest word on Alex Cora? I have heard during the day that the White Sox were interested through WSCR and ESPN 1000.

Soxforlife
12-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Last I heard on ESPN 1000 they were interested in him but i haven't heard anything since.... anyone know anything?

FightingBillini
12-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Im not so sure that I want him. By numbers alone, he doesnt look all that much better than Willie Harris. Also, he bats lefthanded. At least if we would have gotten Eckstein, we would have a lefty/righty combo at second base.

HomeFish
12-23-2004, 08:15 PM
He looks terrible. Don't we already have enough subpar infielders on this team?

Win1ForMe
12-23-2004, 08:20 PM
I really hope we don't sign Cora as he's really just a Willie Harris clone. From the potential free agents, I'd be pretty happy if we could get Grudz now that Eckstein is off the market. I would just stay away from Cora and/or Cairo.

BTW, maybe we should trade for Polanco. It's my understanding that the Phillies want Chase Utley to play 2B, and were surprised when Polanco accepted arbitration. They're shopping him as a result. He would be a nice #2 hitter as well.

Soxforlife
12-23-2004, 08:31 PM
I really hope we don't sign Cora as he's really just a Willie Harris clone. From the potential free agents, I'd be pretty happy if we could get Grudz now that Eckstein is off the market. I would just stay away from Cora and/or Cairo.

BTW, maybe we should trade for Polanco. It's my understanding that the Phillies want Chase Utley to play 2B, and were surprised when Polanco accepted arbitration. They're shopping him as a result. He would be a nice #2 hitter as well.I just looked up Polanco's numbers... not bad for a number two hitter... especially on the sox....what do you think they would want for him?
2004 Life time (8 seasons)
298 AVG 295 AVG
345 OBP 339 OBP
503 AB 274 RBI
55 RBI 50 HR
17 HR

Vestigio
12-23-2004, 08:58 PM
I would rather have Cora over Harris. His OBP is 20 points higher than Harris'

johnny_mostil
12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
He looks terrible. Don't we already have enough subpar infielders on this team?
Cora is NOT Willie Harris. For starters, he can actually play SS, which makes him a useable utility infielder. Two of the last 3 seasons his OBP has been over .360. He was awful in 2003 but decent last year. He's better than Valdez and might beat out Willie altogether. If he came cheap (he made $1.3M and would probably be getting about $1M), considering he could out-hit Timo, why not? :smile:

Win1ForMe
12-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Cora is NOT Willie Harris. For starters, he can actually play SS, which makes him a useable utility infielder. Two of the last 3 seasons his OBP has been over .360. Yeah, and 2 of his last 4 seasons he's had an OBP under .290. That's absolutely horrible.

I would argue that he's not better than Valdez. Valdez can hit against LHP whereas Cora can't. That fact alone already makes Valdez better and more deserving of a roster spot. I really wouldn't understand the move (unless Willie is dumped right after Cora is signed).

FightingBillini
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM

BTW, maybe we should trade for Polanco. It's my understanding that the Phillies want Chase Utley to play 2B, and were surprised when Polanco accepted arbitration. They're shopping him as a result. He would be a nice #2 hitter as well.
I hope we do get Cairo. He batted .292 last year. Look at his scouting report on ESPN:

SCOUTING REPORT FROM STATS INC.Miguel Cairo: Hitting, Baserunning & Defense
Cairo is a good fastball hitter who usually is aggressive early in counts, especially when serving as a pinch-hitter. Cairo's power is negligible. He has decent speed and good instincts on the bases. His best position is second, where he has good range and turns the double play well. However, Cairo can adequately play both short and third, and also has the ability to play left field without hurting his club. More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5586)

GAMES BY POSITION | COMPLETE FIELDING (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=5586)1B: 1, 2B: 113, 3B: 8, SS: 3, PH: 2 QUICK SPLITS | COMPLETE SPLITS (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5586)VS. LEFT: .336 / .822 VS. RIGHT: .267 / .730 HOME: .319 / .836 AWAY: .262 / .682
(Stats listed are batting average and OPS)

He kills lefties. He is a good baserunner, and he can play every position in the infield. At worst, he will platoon with Willie, with Harris hitting against righties and him against lefties.
How can we afford to NOT get him?

Jurr
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Cora is NOT Willie Harris. For starters, he can actually play SS, which makes him a useable utility infielder. Two of the last 3 seasons his OBP has been over .360. He was awful in 2003 but decent last year. He's better than Valdez and might beat out Willie altogether. If he came cheap (he made $1.3M and would probably be getting about $1M), considering he could out-hit Timo, why not? :smile:Add to that he'd be transitioning from NL to AL, where a player usually does even BETTER than he did in the other league. Take that for what you will.

Win1ForMe
12-23-2004, 09:21 PM
I hope we do get Cairo. He batted .292 last year. Look at his scouting report on ESPN:

SCOUTING REPORT FROM STATS INC.Miguel Cairo: Hitting, Baserunning & Defense
Cairo is a good fastball hitter who usually is aggressive early in counts, especially when serving as a pinch-hitter. Cairo's power is negligible. He has decent speed and good instincts on the bases. His best position is second, where he has good range and turns the double play well. However, Cairo can adequately play both short and third, and also has the ability to play left field without hurting his club. More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5586)

GAMES BY POSITION | COMPLETE FIELDING (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=5586)1B: 1, 2B: 113, 3B: 8, SS: 3, PH: 2 QUICK SPLITS | COMPLETE SPLITS (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5586)VS. LEFT: .336 / .822 VS. RIGHT: .267 / .730 HOME: .319 / .836 AWAY: .262 / .682
(Stats listed are batting average and OPS)

He kills lefties. He is a good baserunner, and he can play every position in the infield. At worst, he will platoon with Willie, with Harris hitting against righties and him against lefties.
How can we afford to NOT get him?I look at Cairo's 2004 as a career year playing with a terrific hitting team. His OBP numbers in the two previous years were .307 and .289, very poor.

FightingBillini
12-23-2004, 09:29 PM
I look at Cairo's 2004 as a career year playing with a terrific hitting team. His OBP numbers in the two previous years were .307 and .289, very poor.
He only took 5 more walks in '04 that the other two years. The difference was his batting average, 47 points higher in 04 than 03. He had a few bad years with StL, but career average is still .273, which I wouldn't mind having. I believe that Cairo is just now in his prime, and I believe he would be able to put up those numbers again this year.

longshot7
12-23-2004, 09:36 PM
well regardless of offensive #'s - Cora is superb defensively.

Frank the Tank
12-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I am 99.99% sure we will sign Cora given his brother's connection to the team. I am having a real hard time getting excited over it. The last time we signed an infielder based on defense we landed Royce Clayton.

OEO Magglio
12-23-2004, 09:58 PM
I am 99.99% sure we will sign Cora given his brother's connection to the team. I am having a real hard time getting excited over it. The last time we signed an infielder based on defense we landed Royce Clayton.
Cora would be a perfect number 2 hitter. He has a high obp and can handle the bat very well. We put Alex in the 2 slot and we can move Aaron down in the order to get him more rbi opportunities. I would have rather got Eckstein but I would also love to get Alex, also as said earlier alex is a supurb defender.

Ol' No. 2
12-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Cora would be a perfect number 2 hitter. He has a high obp and can handle the bat very well. We put Alex in the 2 slot and we can move Aaron down in the order to get him more rbi opportunities. I would have rather got Eckstein but I would also love to get Alex, also as said earlier alex is a supurb defender.Since when is .314 a "high OBP"? He seems to be on an odd-and-even schedule. In 2005 he's due for another .285 OBP year. And he had fewer AB against LHP than Willie last year. So how does he help us?

mdep524
12-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Yes! Polanco is the best option available to the Sox. The Phils don't want or need him (they didn't even want him to accept arbitration), as Chase Utley is definitely their man. Kw really should be looking into a trade here.

If the Sox got Polanco, I would be content with their offseason.

DickAllen72
12-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Yes! Polanco is the best option available to the Sox. The Phils don't want or need him (they didn't even want him to accept arbitration), as Chase Utley is definitely their man. Kw really should be looking into a trade here.

What do you think the Phils would want for Placido? I'd love to see us get him, but I think he makes around $4million, so he'd definitely have to be a starter either at 2B or 3B.

I like Willie Harris, but I wonder if the Phils would trade Polanco for him, just as a salary dump?

Slats
12-23-2004, 10:37 PM
I try and value a player by asking myself if I'd like to have him on my fantasy team. Alex Cora? No way.

Frank the Tank
12-23-2004, 10:42 PM

I am assuming that Polanco will warrant more money than Eckstein. I am also assuming that the reason we didn't sign Eckstein was money. I don't see KW passing up on Eckstein to sign Polanco for more money, especially with the "cora connection".

p.s. If the sox do somehow land Polanco, I will also be happy with this offseason

mdep524
12-23-2004, 10:57 PM
What do you think the Phils would want for Placido? I'd love to see us get him, but I think he makes around $4million, so he'd definitely have to be a starter either at 2B or 3B.

I like Willie Harris, but I wonder if the Phils would trade Polanco for him, just as a salary dump?
I have a friend who's a die hard Phils fan. He says Polanco was only offered arbitration for the draft picks and wasn't expected to resign. So we could probably get him for a song, depending on how many other teams are interested.

DickAllen72
12-23-2004, 11:03 PM
I have a friend who's a die hard Phils fan. He says Polanco was only offered arbitration for the draft picks and wasn't expected to resign. So we could probably get him for a song, depending on how many other teams are interested.

From the little bit I know about Polanco, he seems like the perfect number 2 hitter. I say we can't afford not to pick him up, even at ~$4million.

mdep524
12-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I am assuming that Polanco will warrant more money than Eckstein. I am also assuming that the reason we didn't sign Eckstein was money. I don't see KW passing up on Eckstein to sign Polanco for more money, especially with the "cora connection".

p.s. If the sox do somehow land Polanco, I will also be happy with this offseason
Eckstein was a free agent, Polanco is not. The Sox would have to trade with the Phillies to get him.

Mohoney
12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
If Cora is versatile enough to play SS, I'm fine with the signing.

Maybe, instead of Willie, Crede should be the odd man out. If the guy has a downright horrible Spring, and Willie looks good, we HAVE to play Uribe at 3B. We can't waste another season waiting around for this guy to post respectable numbers while he hurts the team.

If Cora can indeed play SS, with Willie at 2B and Uribe at 3B, we might have a significant overall upgrade in OBP from our infield. Or, if Crede steps it up this Spring and earns that job, we can play Cora at 2B.

cburns
12-24-2004, 02:08 AM
Whatever makes Willie Harris ride the bench is OK with me.

MHOUSE
12-25-2004, 12:44 PM
We absolutely need to pick up a second baseman. I would rather pick up Polanco in a cheap trade, but signing Alex Cora will be an upgrade over Willie too. Going into the season with Willie Harris penciled in at 2B is awful. He's a hole in the everyday lineup and we need someone better. I'd be ok with him making the bench (left-handed, can play 2B and CF), but being forced to start Willie by default is bad for the team.

johnny_mostil
12-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Or, if Crede steps it up this Spring and earns that job, we can play Cora at 2B.
That would be sooo smart, to tell Crede he has to play lights out in a handful of at-bats to keep his job. Crede hit .351 last spring. Boy, what an indicator that was of the upcoming season.

And Uribe is not that much better a hitter. What makes Uribe useful and valuable is he can play the middle infield very well. Why anyone wants to shift him to a position where his bat becomes marginal in order to get more banjo hitting in the lineup is beyond me.

SEALgep
12-25-2004, 02:49 PM
From the little bit I know about Polanco, he seems like the perfect number 2 hitter. I say we can't afford not to pick him up, even at ~$4million.He'll make more than $4 mill, and would obviously cost some talent as well, as we wouldn't be the only interested party. Not to mention the lineup becoming even more right hand dominant than it already is. At least with Cairo, who happens to hit left handed pitching very well, he could possible be a cheaper platoon option, allowing Harris to still get in plenty of games. Defensively Harris is good to have out there, and I expect some improvement from him offensively, especially on the base paths.

Lip Man 1
12-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Word of warning...I believe Alex Cora's agent is Scott Boras.

Lip

cleogogo
12-25-2004, 10:25 PM
I like the idea of signing cairo. He can platoon with willie. This will get willie in at least half the games. He will get enough at bats to make his mark, positive or negative. This should keep the pro willie and anti willie fans happy. By the end of the year we will know if he should be part of this team in the future.

JUribe1989
12-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Cairo hit .293 last year

BainesHOF
12-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Harris a bush leaguer. Cora is a major leaguer.

Second base is our biggest hole. We absolutely cannot start Harris there and even pretend we can win the division. Crede needs to be replaced too, but I'm resigned our lame ownership is satisfied with bringing him back.

Garland needs to go too because of his sorry attitude and general stupidity on and off the field.

DickAllen72
12-25-2004, 10:53 PM
At least with Cairo, who happens to hit left handed pitching very well, he could possible be a cheaper platoon option, allowing Harris to still get in plenty of games. Defensively Harris is good to have out there, and I expect some improvement from him offensively, especially on the base paths.

You make some valid points here in favor of Cairo coming to the Sox. I still like Polanco hitting in that #2 spot in the lineup, but I think Willie has a big upside, and platooning him with Cairo against lefties would not be a bad thing at all.

I guess of all the middle infielder FA's currently out there, Cairo is the best option. Getting Cora wouldn't be wise, as he's not an improvement over Willie--he's slower, also lefty, and not too good a hitter--and nepotism would become a factor in playing time, potentially causing dissension on the team.

gf2020
12-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Cardinals went suprisingly cheap...

Roberto Alomar just signed a one year deal with them.

Hopefully, cora to the white sox becomes a foregone conclusion. He's a definitive improvement over Walt Harris. If it's close, how could he not come and play for brother joey?

I'm almost certain that Borass is his agent, but he's running out of options. I read that the Devil Rays are interested, but, come on, they are the devil rays.

Jabroni
12-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Cardinals went suprisingly cheap...

Roberto Alomar just signed a one year deal with them.

Hopefully, cora to the white sox becomes a foregone conclusion. He's a definitive improvement over Walt Harris. If it's close, how could he not come and play for brother joey?

I'm almost certain that Borass is his agent, but he's running out of options. I read that the Devil Rays are interested, but, come on, they are the devil rays.HAHA! Agreed. It must be hard for the Devil Rays to sign guys. Only a $30 million payroll and no one wants to play for them. :tongue:

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
I just looked up Polanco's numbers... not bad for a number two hitter... especially on the sox....what do you think they would want for him?
2004 Life time (8 seasons)
298 AVG 295 AVG
345 OBP 339 OBP
503 AB 274 RBI
55 RBI 50 HR
17 HRWow looks like we would pay more for Willie Harris like production. With less speed (7 SB) Does everyone here just hate anyone in a Sox uniform. Willie put up numbers like that in his first full year. he will only get better. No reason to get a replacement for him. 2B is the least of our problems right now. Outside of the Lee trade we should be pretty happy with the team we have.

mdep524
12-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Wow looks like we would pay more for Willie Harris like production. With less speed (7 SB) Does everyone here just hate anyone in a Sox uniform. Willie put up numbers like that in his first full year. he will only get better. No reason to get a replacement for him. 2B is the least of our problems right now. Outside of the Lee trade we should be pretty happy with the team we have.
Polanco is FAR superior to Willie Harris. Polanco is a proven major leaguer, a smart guy who plays spotless defense, hits near .300, can handle the bat and gives consistent production. Wee Willie Harris does none of these things. Polanco would be a perfect fit for the White Sox and a significant upgrade at a big question mark position.

Jabroni
12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Wow looks like we would pay more for Willie Harris like production. With less speed (7 SB) Does everyone here just hate anyone in a Sox uniform. Willie put up numbers like that in his first full year. he will only get better. No reason to get a replacement for him. 2B is the least of our problems right now. Outside of the Lee trade we should be pretty happy with the team we have.I only want to see Willie against right-handed pitching...

Willie Harris (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=407483&statType=1) (2004 stats)
AVG vs vs Left-handed Pitcher - .181
OBP vs vs Left-handed Pitcher - .224

AVG vs Right-handed Pitcher - .279
OBP vs Right-handed Pitcher - .366

Right now, Willie is just a platoon guy. We need a 2nd baseman that can actually hit left-handers.

soxfan43
12-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Didn't polanco except arbitration and resign?

Jabroni
12-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Didn't polanco except arbitration and resign?Yes but the Phillies just wanted the draft pick from when they thought he would sign with another team. Polanco ended up accepting arbitration. The Phillies are starting Utley at 2B so $5 million is too much to spend on a bench guy. They will be looking to trade him.

soxfan43
12-30-2004, 11:10 AM
If the sox really wanted him, they wouldve signed him when he was a free agent.

FightingBillini
12-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Wow looks like we would pay more for Willie Harris like production. With less speed (7 SB) Does everyone here just hate anyone in a Sox uniform. Willie put up numbers like that in his first full year. he will only get better. No reason to get a replacement for him. 2B is the least of our problems right now. Outside of the Lee trade we should be pretty happy with the team we have.
You must not have seen my post in another thread:

Here is the biggest flaw in your assesment - Polanco is and everyday player. He kills lefties and hit righties very good. At this point in his career, Willie can't hit left handed pitching AT ALL. Willie's numbers this year came mostly against righties. If he becomes and everyday player, his numbers would be "droppin' like its hot".
Willie vs. lefties: 72 AB .181 AVG .224 OBP
Polanco vs. lefties: 147 AB .327 AVG .354 OBP
Willie only had 72 AB against lefties. Polanco had 147. That is more than double. If Willie would have had double the ABs against lefties, and the same against righties, his over all numbers would be:
.249 AVG .302 OBP. Would you like to have that in your lineup? I didn't think so.

Also, most hitters improve substantially going from the NL to AL. I believe that Polanco would not only raise his average, but take more walks.
Is .249 AVG with a .302OBP close to Polanco? Not close at all. Polanco is an everyday player, you dont have to take him in and out of the lineup depending on who is pitching. His numbers and games plyaed were down a little this year becuase of Utley, but he will give the White Sox far more production than Willie Harris.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
I only want to see Willie against right-handed pitching...

Willie Harris (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=407483&statType=1) (2004 stats)
AVG vs vs Left-handed Pitcher - .181
OBP vs vs Left-handed Pitcher - .224

AVG vs Right-handed Pitcher - .279
OBP vs Right-handed Pitcher - .366

Right now, Willie is just a platoon guy. We need a 2nd baseman that can actually hit left-handers.
Agreed, But Valdez hit lefties pretty well while he was with us in the Bigs, He could play short against lefties and have Uribe at second, Easy.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 11:39 AM
You must not have seen my post in another thread:

Is .249 AVG with a .302OBP close to Polanco? Not close at all. Polanco is an everyday player, you dont have to take him in and out of the lineup depending on who is pitching. His numbers and games plyaed were down a little this year becuase of Utley, but he will give the White Sox far more production than Willie Harris. I just think you have a hard on for Polonco. Ok so he could hit lefties,20% of pitchers are left handed, He is slow 7 sb in 11 attempts. He does not fit what we are tying to do, He will not be getting faster, I am not saying Polonco Sucks, He just is not a Vast improvement over what we have, He hit 40 points higher than Harris and had the same OBP%.

Willie was a Rookie last year, Sorry he was not all world for you but damn. He could hit Righties just as well as Polonco and we could get Cairo to hit Lefties for 3 or 4 million less. Or crazy Idea you could actually let Harris Improve against lefties by letting him play against them.

MeanFish
12-30-2004, 11:46 AM
My argument for getting Alex Cora is reactionary and silly. However, that at bat against Matt Clement last season has me sold.

soltrain21
12-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Agreed, But Valdez hit lefties pretty well while he was with us in the Bigs, He could play short against lefties and have Uribe at second, Easy.

I want Uribe at short all year. I don't want to see him get pushed around from position to postion like last year. Let him get settled at SS.

FightingBillini
12-30-2004, 12:04 PM
I just think you have a hard on for Polonco. Ok so he could hit lefties,20% of pitchers are left handed, He is slow 7 sb in 11 attempts. He does not fit what we are tying to do, He will not be getting faster, I am not saying Polonco Sucks, He just is not a Vast improvement over what we have, He hit 40 points higher than Harris and had the same OBP%.

Willie was a Rookie last year, Sorry he was not all world for you but damn. He could hit Righties just as well as Polonco and we could get Cairo to hit Lefties for 3 or 4 million less. Or crazy Idea you could actually let Harris Improve against lefties by letting him play against them.
Polanco hit 10 points higher than Willie against righties. If he came to the Sox, that would only improve. As Ive said before, career NL hitters gernerally improve when they come to the AL. The strike zone is bigger in the NL, so he will probably walk more also. While I am not implying it, that .277 average Willie had against righties last year may have been a fluke (see Mike Caruso). Polanco has put up pretty consistant numbers over 7 major league seasons. I dont know where you get that Polanco is slow. If a man has to steal bases to be fast, then Willie aint that fast either. Polanco is a great defensive 2B, and he can play SS and 3B. Willie maybe have hit only 10 points lower than Polanco against righties, but he hit ONLY 146 points below him vs. lefties.

So I guess you are right, Willie is pretty much a wash with Polanco. Take Polanco, subtract his power, ability to play SS and 3B, some defensive ability at 2B, some of his ability to hit righties, half of his ability to hit lefties, and all of his baseball smarts. That sounds like a recipe for sucsess!

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I want Uribe at short all year. I don't want to see him get pushed around from position to postion like last year. Let him get settled at SS.
Then let Valdez play 2B, It works. Harris has the tools he just has to learn how to use them, He has speed (Podsednick stole 43 his first year while getting on base a whole lot more than in his second year and in his second year he stole 70) So yes stealing base can be learned or perfected. He Sees alot of pitches, Walks alot for such an unexpirienced player, And he is a very solid defensive player. You are probably the same people who wanted to give up on Rowand too.

A. Cavatica
12-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Harris' fatal flaw is that he has absolutely no power (.296 career slugging, in a league where the average is around .430). Do you realize how hard it is to only hit 15 doubles (and 2 triples) when get 409 at-bats and have blinding speed?

He doesn't get on base enough, either (career .305) but I'll cut him some slack because he was at .343 last year.

Polanco has a .410 career slugging percentage to go with his .339 career OBP. Hence, Polanco is a bona fide second baseman. Harris is a pinch runner/late-inning defensive replacement.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Polanco hit 10 points higher than Willie against righties. If he came to the Sox, that would only improve. As Ive said before, career NL hitters gernerally improve when they come to the AL. The strike zone is bigger in the NL, so he will probably walk more also. While I am not implying it, that .277 average Willie had against righties last year may have been a fluke (see Mike Caruso). Polanco has put up pretty consistant numbers over 7 major league seasons. I dont know where you get that Polanco is slow. If a man has to steal bases to be fast, then Willie aint that fast either. Polanco is a great defensive 2B, and he can play SS and 3B. Willie maybe have hit only 10 points lower than Polanco against righties, but he hit ONLY 146 points below him vs. lefties.

So I guess you are right, Willie is pretty much a wash with Polanco. Take Polanco, subtract his power, ability to play SS and 3B, some defensive ability at 2B, some of his ability to hit righties, half of his ability to hit lefties, and all of his baseball smarts. That sounds like a recipe for sucsess!
He hit 10 point higher and his OB% was 20 points lower. Are we not trying to get rid of guys with power who clog up the base paths? And if his hitting against rities was a fluke I could just as easily say his hittin against lefties was a fluke, After all it was just 79 abs compared to 400 against righties. You were probably a Rowand Hater too.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Harris' fatal flaw is that he has absolutely no power (.296 career slugging, in a league where the average is around .430). Do you realize how hard it is to only hit 15 doubles (and 2 triples) when get 409 at-bats and have blinding speed?

He doesn't get on base enough, either (career .305) but I'll cut him some slack because he was at .343 last year.

Polanco has a .410 career slugging percentage to go with his .339 career OBP. Hence, Polanco is a bona fide second baseman. Harris is a pinch runner/late-inning defensive replacement.
From a second hitter you do not need a high slugging %. His job is to get on base if your leadoff man does not, or move the leadoff guy to the next base. If I am not misteaken we are getting rid of power guys, Polonco does not walk he should be used later in the lineup. I am not saying he is a bad player, he is not what we need.

eshunn2001
12-30-2004, 12:55 PM
When you look at Harris's stats vs. Polanco's early years; there is no reason to think Willie couldn't match those #'s in a few years. He is still young.

The problem that I have with the situation is having no back-up plan. It is hard to go into a season with unproven talent and say "that's our guy". Young Major Leaguers do need the chance to get regular at bats to showcase their talents, but there should be a back-up plan.

I think Willie still deserves that chance. Crede on the other hand, has played two full seasons and hasn't shown me anything. I thought we could get by with Harris at 2nd (with maybe Cora as a back-up) and Uribe at SS. I wanted someone else at the hot corner though. (not overpaying for Glaus or Beltre, but maybe trade for a Figgins or a Koskie)

Between Crede, Harris, and the streaky Uribe, the infield hitting could be a major problem.

I would absolutely Love to have Chone Figgins on the Sox. I live in Anahiem and see him play quite a bit. He plays 2B, Short, 3B and CF And plays them all well.