PDA

View Full Version : Is '05 KW's Last Stand?

NSSoxFan2
12-23-2004, 06:13 PM
I just want to say that I for one think we will have a good year and win our division.

But let me play devil's advocate and say that if things go south for the Sox in 2005, is Kenny's job at stake? Remember, he took over in 2001, a team that won the division the year before. He has made a lot of trades and moves in order to produce a winner. If we lose again this year, is KW done?

jabrch
12-23-2004, 06:18 PM
That's not JRs style. Unless KW does something so clearly irresponsible that JR can specifically blame him for hurting the team, I don't see him letting him go this year. By all accounts, the farm system is starting to turn the corner in terms of being stocked up, now KW should be given a chance to see it produce under his reign, right? Lets see how his drafts turn out now that they have had time to develop.

In any case - JR is not one to fire one of his guys unless there is a major disaster.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-23-2004, 06:18 PM
I would say no just because of who runs the team, Uncle Jerry. JR is a very loyal man and has known KW for quite some time. Plus, I'm sure if KW got fired JR would just bring in another person already in the white sox organization to learn on the job at the GM position so it'd be silly to can KW.

Jerome
12-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Yes. Especially if Podsednik doesn't play like he did in 03.

Five years of no playoffs and you deserve to be fired, especially in such a poor division.

However, unless JR makes a drastic out-of-organization move, we will get another rookie GM from within. Who probably won't be as good as KW.

Because as much as I disagree with some of his moves, at least he is willing to make moves of some kind.

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
I think there is no doubt that his job is in jeopardy if the White Sox finish anywhere below a playoff berth. KW does what he can with what he has. The financial constraints put upon him by JR is the reason KW has to go out and trade something to get something. Yes, that is point of a trade, but the kind of deals KW has made reflect the method in which he has to assemble a winning team. Honestly, I support KW, he has been doing a fine job as GM, but if he doesn't put together a 1st place team this year, he is gone.

Fire Kenny
12-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Hopefully........

Mohoney
12-23-2004, 06:43 PM
One major thing to consider here is that Kenny inherited a bad manager with that 95 win team, and inherited a lot of power bats that don't exactly fit the mold of what he thinks a team should be.

Ozzie is his first managerial hire, and this is really the first year that Kenny has had with this kind of small-ball makeup.

Some may think that he's grasping at straws here and dramatically revamping the makeup of this club as a last-ditch effort to do something spectacular to avoid being canned. Some may think (I would put myself in this group) that this year is the first step toward an entirely new philosophy for this club; Kenny is trying to truly establish his own identity as a GM that is significantly different than Schueler's M.O.

Signing guys like El Duque (and hopefully Eckstein) that have proven themselves in the postseason is, in my opinion, a course of action that will lead to positive results, and should continue for the forseeable future.

Everybody is 100% correct in the sense that this year will be a make-or-break year for this franchise, but to say that KW's job is at stake is a little premature.

SOXFAN82
12-23-2004, 06:52 PM
I don't think Jerry will fire him.

Brian

ondafarm
12-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Here I've run some numbers.

In 2004,
when the Sox scored 0 runs, they were 0-8
when the Sox scored 1 run, they were 0-15
when the Sox scored 2 runs, they were 1-21
when the Sox scored 3 runs, they were 6-6
when the Sox scored 4 runs, they were 10-14
when the Sox scored 5 runs, they were 9-6
and when they scored 6 or more runs, they were 55-11.

What does it mean?
The Sox definately had an all or nothing offense. Approximately half the time, the Sox scored 5 runs or more (81-162) In those games, they were a .790 club (not surprising, when you score 5 runs and your pitching staff averages giving up four something, you should win.) It's the other 81 games which win you championships though. When the Sox scored 4 or less runs they were a .210 club. Great teams win games when they can only score a few runs. The Twins always seem to be able to win with great defense and scratching out a couple of runs.

Pods should help immensely with this. CLee was part of the problem.

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Signing guys like El Duque (and hopefully Eckstein) that have proven themselves in the postseason is, in my opinion, a course of action that will lead to positive results, and should continue for the forseeable future.
I agree with you here. I'm pretty excited about the changes. I only think that KW's job is on the line because I can see how this season can turn out horribly, and then, I think that the majority of Sox fans are going to be clamoring for KW's job. Come the end of the 2005 season, opinons can change dramatically.

Fire Kenny
12-23-2004, 07:06 PM

In 2004,

What does it mean?
The Sox definately had an all or nothing offense. Approximately half the time, the Sox scored 5 runs or more (81-162) In those games, they were a .790 club (not surprising, when you score 5 runs and your pitching staff averages giving up four something, you should win.) It's the other 81 games which win you championships though. When the Sox scored 4 or less runs they were a .210 club. Great teams win games when they can only score a few runs. The Twins always seem to be able to win with great defense and scratching out a couple of runs.

UGH! The problem is they did not get on base consistantly. Not having Mags and Big Hurt had a lot to do with that. Taking a guy with a .400 OBP(Thomas) out of a line up can kill a team. Adding Pods hurts them(.315 OBP). Lee had a better average and a higher OBP, the move is ridiculous. Last year with Mags and Frank healthy they win the division or finish a game or two out. Having a 5th Starter last year would have helped too. A smart GM would have seen this..........

Foulke You
12-23-2004, 07:09 PM
First off, you guys are on crack if you think KW's job is at stake. It would take a collapse of monumental proportions (we're talking multiple last place finishes) for KW's job to be in jeopardy. JR is intesely loyal to his employees as long as you are loyal to him. Look how many last place finishes and blown draft picks it took Krause to get fired from the Bulls! And he really didn't get fired, he was allowed to "step down" from the position.

That being said, I believe KW does the best he can on a fiscally responsible budget. He has made some shrewd moves so far this year and changed the makeup of the team and I like where we are headed so far. Hopefully, at the end of the year, in between threads about who should start Game 1 of the ALDS, we'll be talking about the Carlos Lee trade and Jermaine Dye signings as evidence of why KW should win executive of the year. Hey, it's Christmas! Gotta keep a positive outlook...I'll go back to expecting doom after the holidays.:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2004, 07:11 PM
What does it mean?

Absolutely NOTHING you analyzed means any of this. I strongly suggest you not quit your day job to become a statistician -- or a scientist.

Across all 2430 games played in a season, the odds of winning go up in direct proportion to the number of runs you scored vs. how many you allowed. If you think for one crazy minute Carlos Lee's glove and bat are less valuable to the number of wins achieved by the Sox compared to Scott Posednek's glove and baserunning skills, you my friend are smoking some serious dope.
:smokin:

If Willie Harris, Aaron Rowand, and all the other piles of **** KW expected Ozzie to bat #1 and #2 couldn't get on base, then there wasn't one freaking thing in the world Carlos Lee could do to correct it -- 28-game hitting streak or not.
:kukoo:

Scott Podsednek has a good-looking wife and works cheaper than Lee. Other than that I'm not sure what real value he brings to the Sox over Carlos Lee.

Fire Kenny
12-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Absolutely NOTHING you analyzed means any of this. I strongly suggest you not quit your day job to become a statistician -- or a scientist.

Across all 2430 games played in a season, the odds of winning go up in direct proportion to the number of runs you scored vs. how many you allowed. If you think for one crazy minute Carlos Lee's glove and bat are less valuable to the number of wins achieved by the Sox compared to Scott Posednek's glove and baserunning skills, you my friend are smoking some serious dope.

If Willie Harris, Aaron Rowand, and all the other piles of **** KW expected Ozzie to bat #1 and #2 couldn't get on base, then there wasn't one freaking thing in the world Carlos Lee could do to correct it -- 28-game hitting streak or not.

Scott Podsednek has a good-looking wife and works cheaper than Lee. Other than that I'm not sure what real value he brings to the Sox over Carlos Lee.
Rowand was outstanding last year, he had the best numbers out of any Center Fielder in the AL. Everything else your dead on.

johnny_mostil
12-23-2004, 07:18 PM

In 2004,

What does it mean?
The Sox definately had an all or nothing offense. Approximately half the time, the Sox scored 5 runs or more (81-162) In those games, they were a .790 club (not surprising, when you score 5 runs and your pitching staff averages giving up four something, you should win.)
Run that analysis on any other team and you will get the same results. It's called baseball. The White Sox were actually one of the least likely teams to be held under 4 runs. Pretending that other teams, or winning teams, or whatever teams, consistently score 4 or 5 runs every night leads to making silly decisions about what's "wrong" with your ballclub. You can't change the nature of the game.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Rowand was outstanding last year, he had the best numbers out of any Center Fielder in the AL. Everything else your dead on.
He was platooned. That's not a bad thing.

Dadawg_77
12-23-2004, 07:39 PM
I just want to say that I for one think we will have a good year and win our division.

But let me play devil's advocate and say that if things go south for the Sox in 2005, is Kenny's job at stake? Remember, he took over in 2001, a team that won the division the year before. He has made a lot of trades and moves in order to produce a winner. If we lose again this year, is KW done?
If the Sox don't win 90+ games, Kenny should be fired. Will he be, I would guess not based on JR's history.

Dadawg_77
12-23-2004, 07:46 PM

In 2004,

What does it mean?

Actually I see a normal distribution of Sox scores. Like was said in the other thread, you need to shift the peak of the curve not change the fish tails. The teams era was 4.91, 25th in the majors. If your median for runs scored is 5 and runs allowed is five, then you are most likely a .500 team.

soxwon
12-23-2004, 07:54 PM
I think there is no doubt that his job is in jeopardy if the White Sox finish anywhere below a playoff berth. KW does what he can with what he has. The financial constraints put upon him by JR is the reason KW has to go out and trade something to get something. Yes, that is point of a trade, but the kind of deals KW has made reflect the method in which he has to assemble a winning team. Honestly, I support KW, he has been doing a fine job as GM, but if he doesn't put together a 1st place team this year, he is gone.

loaiza whats with the FRANK STALLONE pic?

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Run that analysis on any other team and you will get the same results. It's called baseball. The White Sox were actually one of the least likely teams to be held under 4 runs. Pretending that other teams, or winning teams, or whatever teams, consistently score 4 or 5 runs every night leads to making silly decisions about what's "wrong" with your ballclub. You can't change the nature of the game.
ondafarm is right in that we have an all or nothing offense, even though his stats don't necessarily indicate that. What his stats show is that our pitching sucked @$$.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Barring a complete disaster Kenny Williams will not be fired. Not now nor in the forseeable future.

Williams may resign on his own, say for health reasons, but he won't be fired. In the 80's when Williams was trying to choose between signing with the Sox or going back to Stanford, Reinsdorf personally appeared at his parents home and spoke with them both. He gave his word to them that he would always take care of their son.

I have no idea what Williams' appeal was to Reinsdorf but he did sign with the Sox and almost immediately after his short MLB career was done a spot was found for him in the organization.

Lip

Dadawg_77
12-23-2004, 08:02 PM
ondafarm is right in that we have an all or nothing offense, even though his stats don't necessarily indicate that. What his stats show is that our pitching sucked @$$.
They don't show that really. Only three teams have a better record then the Sox when they score exactly 4 runs. If you score 3 or less runs you expect to lose.

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 08:55 PM
loaiza whats with the FRANK STALLONE pic?
just thought that that norm macdonald joke was funny, plus i needed a decent sig. Hopefully some people got/get a short laugh off it.

gosox41
12-23-2004, 11:20 PM

It better be. KW has had a great off season but if this team at least make the playoffs next year then I don't know how much longer you can stick with him.

Bob

gosox41
12-23-2004, 11:29 PM
One major thing to consider here is that Kenny inherited a bad manager with that 95 win team, and inherited a lot of power bats that don't exactly fit the mold of what he thinks a team should be.

Ozzie is his first managerial hire, and this is really the first year that Kenny has had with this kind of small-ball makeup.

Some may think that he's grasping at straws here and dramatically revamping the makeup of this club as a last-ditch effort to do something spectacular to avoid being canned. Some may think (I would put myself in this group) that this year is the first step toward an entirely new philosophy for this club; Kenny is trying to truly establish his own identity as a GM that is significantly different than Schueler's M.O.

Everybody is 100% correct in the sense that this year will be a make-or-break year for this franchise, but to say that KW's job is at stake is a little premature.

I like what KW has done this offseason and see your point. but ther are a few things you should consider. It was KW who signed JM to a contract extension as one of his first moves. It was KW who signed Ordonez to a 3 year contract extension. It was KW who grossly overpaid for PK. It was KW who signed Lee to an extension. For a guy who wants a team in his own image, why did he keep the same 4 (including Frank) slow, power hitters around so long?

And to make it worse, KW wanted to get rid of the best of the 4. So while KW is making some good moves now a lot of the previous few seasons failures can be attributed directly to the fact that he wasn't addressing the problem areas appropriately (see fifth starters as another example.)

So take it for what it's worth, but a lot of the reason KW did so little last season was because the Sox didn't have much room to manuever salarywise. And this was solely KW's doing.

So he is responsible for a lot of the last 4 years of failure.

Bob

Frank the Tank
12-23-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't think that KW's job is or should be on the line. Let's see what KW is faced with:

Win, but your only going to be given a mid-market payroll to work with

Land free agents, but make sure their contracts have deferred money

Given the current salary structure of the MLB, how can anyone seriously expect a White Sox GM to succeed in competition against the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, etc... The only move he has made that totally made no sense is the Todd Ritchie deal. Like him or hate him, at least he makes deals and tries. He is definitely not a boring GM.

Rex Hudler
12-24-2004, 12:28 AM
I'll say on record that I believe the chances of Kenny's contract getting extended are much stronger than him getting fired.

micpres
12-24-2004, 12:54 AM
KW's job is set for the future. The moves he has made this year to strenghten the pitching staff will put the Sox on top, IF Frank can stay healthy. The Twins claim they have had better "Club House chemistry" but they have begun breaking up the team. Worse yet for them is they have weakened their defense. Their number 1 and 2 pitchers match up with anyone but their bats play withy the Sox. My prediction, Sox take Central by 4 games.

kaufsox
12-24-2004, 12:54 AM
I was thinking of KW's situation just today and I don't think he'll get fired, but to play devil's advocate a bit, what do you think the chances are he could get a job elsewhere? What I like most about KW is that he keeps on swinging, making deals and working with the constraints applied to his situation. His aggresive attitude plus a larger payroll could be an interesting combination.

jordan23ventura
12-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Absolutely NOTHING you anal (http://toolbar.desktoptraffic.net/cgi-bin//ezlclk.fcgi?id=141)yzed means any of this. I strongly suggest you not quit your day job to become a statistician -- or a scientist.

His main point was that the Sox barely won low scoring games. KW has taken a risk in the Lee trade, and everyone knows that. It's a big gamble but if it pays off and Pods gets on base, the team will have a much better shot at taking those games. Add to that a much improved bullpen and the addition of a legitimate fifth starter for once and this team has a much better chance at competing. As much as I hated to see Lee go, any LF can only do so much. In return we get another setup man, a fifth starter with the savings, and if Pods can get on base and get into the mind of an opposing pitcher, forcing him to make a mistake to Rowand or Thomas, that alone could help us tremendously.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2004, 09:44 AM
His main point was that the Sox barely won low scoring games. ....
The main point should have been that all baseball teams barely win low scoring games... that's why we're all laughing our asses off at his nonsensical conclusions.

If you or him want to defend trading away Lee for Podsednek straight up based solely on their baseball talents, be my guest. This thread could use a few more laughs before it dies a forgettable death.

JRIG
12-24-2004, 09:55 AM
The main point should have been that all baseball teams barely win low scoring games... that's why we're all laughing our asses off at his nonsensical conclusions.

If you or him want to defend trading away Lee for Podsednek straight up based solely on their baseball talents, be my guest. This thread could use a few more laughs before it dies a forgettable death.
Now, now, PHG. Even you have to admit if we had Podsednik last year we would have won a lot more 0 to -1 games. We were awful at winning those negative run-scoring games last season.

johnny bench
12-24-2004, 10:01 AM

In 2004,

What does it mean?
It means we could count on winning only if we scored 6 or more runs.
It means we had a lousy pitching staff.

Baby Fisk
12-24-2004, 10:10 AM
This is an interesting thread in that I expected a lot of "last chance", "do or die" threats to be dished out at Kenny. I think a lot of people here will turn on KW if 2005 is a bust, but it's interesting to read people's takes on looking beyond 2005 and how JR would handle the situation.

BTW, Loaiza's sig is hilarious. :nod:

johnny bench
12-24-2004, 10:26 AM
This is an interesting thread in that I expected a lot of "last chance", "do or die" threats to be dished out at Kenny. I think a lot of people here will turn on KW if 2005 is a bust, but it's interesting to read people's takes on looking beyond 2005 and how JR would handle the situation.

BTW, Loaiza's sig is hilarious. :nod: I'm surprised that people believe that JR's acceptance of the status quo has no limits. Jerry Krause had a better record of success than Kenny, but when his rebuilding plan failed, he was out.

I don't think that KW is GM for life. As far as JR is concerned, he better win, and not just a divisional championship. I don't know that he has to win this year, or next year. But if the White Sox don't get better, he'll be looking for another job.

tsamdog
12-24-2004, 10:57 AM
First post for me. I find it interesting that KW is burdened with much of the blame when 'free agents' sign elsewhere, and the reason that he catches grief is the perception of money (or lack thereof). I would suggest that JR's budget has been a factor, but I have yet to read an opinion that expresses that maybe, just maybe, the FA did not want to come here. I don't know, but if Eckstein was given a chance to play for the Cards or the ChiSox for relatively equal pay, maybe St. Louis was more appealing. This would not the fault of KW.....this offseason. The question I have is what would make our Palehose more enticing to the top rung FA's?

Baby Fisk
12-24-2004, 11:41 AM
First post for me. I find it interesting that KW is burdened with much of the blame when 'free agents' sign elsewhere, and the reason that he catches grief is the perception of money (or lack thereof). I would suggest that JR's budget has been a factor, but I have yet to read an opinion that expresses that maybe, just maybe, the FA did not want to come here. I don't know, but if Eckstein was given a chance to play for the Cards or the ChiSox for relatively equal pay, maybe St. Louis was more appealing. This would not the fault of KW.....this offseason. The question I have is what would make our Palehose more enticing to the top rung FA's?:welcome: Hey, welcome aboard!

soxtalker
12-24-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm surprised that people believe that JR's acceptance of the status quo has no limits. Jerry Krause had a better record of success than Kenny, but when his rebuilding plan failed, he was out.

I don't think that KW is GM for life. As far as JR is concerned, he better win, and not just a divisional championship. I don't know that he has to win this year, or next year. But if the White Sox don't get better, he'll be looking for another job.
I think that it is hard to make a direct comparison between Krause and KW. It isn't clear to me why Krause was pushed out. It may have been a strategy that kept the Bulls at or near the bottom of the standings every year. Or it could have been that he was so disliked that many top players would refuse to look at the Bulls. Or it might have been something else.

As I've stated before on the board, I've never been much of KW fan. But I find it hard to understand why his job would be on the line this year. He tends to make a lot of trades, many of which are high-risk, and this style is generally liked by the fans. On the business side, he stays within the budget constraints of the owners. The attendance was actually pretty good last year considering that the Maggs/Frank injuries occurred fairly early (about the middle) in the season. No, we haven't come anywhere close to winning an AL pennant or a WS under him, but that's true for a lot of teams. I'm not trying to defend him; I have never cared for his style and many of his trades. But I find it hard to understand why JR or the other owners should be so disappointed with him.

batmanZoSo
12-24-2004, 12:50 PM
They don't show that really. Only three teams have a better record then the Sox when they score exactly 4 runs. If you score 3 or less runs you expect to lose.
Okay, it shows NOTHING! :D:

tsamdog
12-24-2004, 02:02 PM
I think that it is hard to make a direct comparison between Krause and KW. It isn't clear to me why Krause was pushed out. It may have been a strategy that kept the Bulls at or near the bottom of the standings every year. Or it could have been that he was so disliked that many top players would refuse to look at the Bulls. Or it might have been something else.

As I've stated before on the board, I've never been much of KW fan. But I find it hard to understand why his job would be on the line this year. He tends to make a lot of trades, many of which are high-risk, and this style is generally liked by the fans. On the business side, he stays within the budget constraints of the owners. The attendance was actually pretty good last year considering that the Maggs/Frank injuries occurred fairly early (about the middle) in the season. No, we haven't come anywhere close to winning an AL pennant or a WS under him, but that's true for a lot of teams. I'm not trying to defend him; I have never cared for his style and many of his trades. But I find it hard to understand why JR or the other owners should be so disappointed with him.Although I agree that there is no direct comparison to Krause and KW, it is interesting that both franchises are suffering from the same problem: lack of 5-star FA's seeking to join their respective teams. There are certainly other factors involved, but I wonder if our Sox are now going to have to rebuild via the farm (not good right now) like the Bulls had to rebuild via the draft. The 'rent a wreck' philosophy scares me.