PDA

View Full Version : Age Questions

bennyw41
12-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I understand that it is impossible to pin point the exact age of El Duque, since he comes from a country that we don't get along with(putting it nicely.). But how come he doesn't have a statement on record of how old he is? I never understood this concept. Just ask him, and then ask why the court records disagree with his age. Why can't this issue be solved? I think we live in an age where we wouldn't have to wonder a guys friggin age!

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 01:31 PM
MLB.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=133340) says that El Duque was born on October 11, 1969.

Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hernaor01.shtml) says that El Duque was born on October 11, 1965.

:)

fledgedrallycap
12-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Outside of the US and other advanced countries, official documentation like a birth certificate just aren't kept.

Baby Fisk
12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Outside of the US and other advanced countries, official documentation like a birth certificate just aren't kept.Minnie Minoso is another example. The year of his birth was long in dispute until he stated it once and for all in his autobiography. But even then, it was based on his personal understanding and not on documentation.

bennyw41
12-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Outside of the US and other advanced countries, official documentation like a birth certificate just aren't kept.
I am sure the Man knows his birthday regardless. I think he should just make an official statement.

anewman35
12-23-2004, 02:02 PM
I am sure the Man knows his birthday regardless. I think he should just make an official statement.
Well, he must have told people his age, the official figure must come from somewhere. The thing is, it's to his benefit to have people think he's younger, so even if he did make a statement, how would we know it was true?

Jjav829
12-23-2004, 02:03 PM
The queston isn't how old he claims to be, it's how old he really is. He's going to lie about his age to make himself more attractive to teams. When he joined the Yankees, his age was listed as 29. 6 years later, he claims to be 35. If he was really 33 at the time he joined the Yankees (and admitted it), he doesn't seem like such a good deal.

StockdaleForVeep
12-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Isnt furcal still 23?

veeter
12-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't care how old he is, if he wins. His face seems youthful but you never know.

StillMissOzzie
12-23-2004, 04:44 PM
I understand that many youngsters lie about their age in the Dominican Republic and other Latin American countries, because they wouldn't be considered prospects anymore at their true age. I have also heard that Sosa's true age is suspect.

SMO
:gulp:
Yes, I'm WAY old enough to drink...

Palehose13
12-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Who cares as long as he isn't Grilli/Schoe/Diaz?

BTW...RJ is ok to have at 40, but Hernandez isn't? :?:

I'm not saying that El Duque is equal to RJ, but why the double standard?

CecilCooper
12-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Who cares as long as he isn't Grilli/Schoe/Diaz?

BTW...RJ is ok to have at 40, but Hernandez isn't? :?:

I'm not saying that El Duque is equal to RJ, but why the double standard?This was my thinking. It's amazing there was such a clamor to trade away a 25-year old starter and a 110+ RBI man for a 42 year old 20 game winner who makes $16 mil, while the notion of getting a guy without trading who is somewhere between 35-40 for $4mil and can likely win 15 games for us is so abominable.

HomeFish
12-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I think he once gave a semi-accurate age on a divorce paper in Cuba, and it estimates to him being 39 right now.