PDA

View Full Version : What IF the Cubs had to play at Sox park during (if) rehab

mikesouthside
12-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Was listening to am1000 today and it was brought up. Wondering your thought's. Have a good X-mas all !

DumpJerry
12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
We triple beer prices. Double food prices. Fireworks when opposing team homers. Make them bow to a Sox logo upon entry to the park.

Use the extra $$$ to sign their top targeted FAs.

Sounds like a plan to me!:D:

john2499
12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Was listening to am1000 today and it was brought up. Wondering your thought's. Have a good X-mas all !
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Fireworks when opposing team homers.
The firework idea would be awesome! :kneeslap: :roflmao:

Hangar18
12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
We triple beer prices. Double food prices. Fireworks when opposing team homers. Make them bow to a Sox logo upon entry to the park.

Use the extra $$$ to sign their top targeted FAs.

I absolutely doubled over laughing at this .............HEHH HEHH HEH HEH
Fireworks when opposing team homers!

I would think Uncle Jerry is SALIVATING at the prospect of his beloved cubs
playing at our park, and HIM MAKING MONEY. Unfortuneately, he would
just Pocket the Loot

Baby Fisk
12-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Move them to Vegas forever, or contract them with Florida. :cool:

soxnut
12-23-2004, 08:54 AM
As long as the Sox get to keep most of the revenue from ticket sales. And, hey for all of those inclined, go to those games. Boo the heck out of the Cubs. Can you imagine on National Tv(WGN), the Cubs being booed in Chicago..at their suedo-home-park? How cool would that be?

How would the rest of the civilized baseball handle it? Their beloved Cubbies getting booed loudly in Chicago? And, them saying "hey where is this place their playing--where did THAT ballpark come from?"

I also posted this in another thread:

Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

And he also said that if/when this does happen, they would be turning Wrigley into condos. They would keep the field and the ivy and the bleachers, but the rest of the park would be gutted and turned into condos.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark

infohawk
12-23-2004, 09:21 AM
It wouldn't bother me one bit. I kind of like the fact that the Cubbie fans would be "forced" to go to a park they despise. Also, the psychological affect of Cub fans knowing the White Sox organization bailed them out would be priceless. That way, when they criticize the Cell in subsequent years, we can call them ungrateful ingrates.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2004, 09:24 AM

Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

And he also said that if/when this does happen, they would be turning Wrigley into condos. They would keep the field and the ivy and the bleachers, but the rest of the park would be gutted and turned into condos.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark

Very intersting, although my reply may warrant a move to Talking Baseball...

Here's a mapquest map of the area between California & Western at Addison, where Gordon Tech is. Notice it's near the North Branch of the Chicago River. Anyone live in this area who knows what's in this area, if this rumor has any truth?

Dolanski
12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
As long as the Sox get to keep most of the revenue from ticket sales. And, hey for all of those inclined, go to those games. Boo the heck out of the Cubs. Can you imagine on National Tv(WGN), the Cubs being booed in Chicago..at their suedo-home-park? How cool would that be?

How would the rest of the civilized baseball handle it? Their beloved Cubbies getting booed loudly in Chicago? And, them saying "hey where is this place their playing--where did THAT ballpark come from?"

While that is an interesting and possible scenario, I wonder how much faith I would put into what a Chicago cop has to say about the Cubs and their stadium plans. I live in Boston and heard all the ridiculous speculation about moving Fenway here, there and everywhere, and none of them came to fruition.

My guess is eventually they will have to move, but they won't do it any time soon. They are going to milk that park and the nostalgia until that place falls apart...

Oh and if the Cubs do play at Comiskey, "Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" should be sung whenever a Cubs pitcher is pulled...

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Is this the site of remote parking lots for Cubs games? I seem to remember parking well to the west of the Urinal and then taking a shuttle bus to the stadium about 15 years ago when the All-Star game was played there. I didn't actually go to the game, but to the All-Star Workout / Home Run Derby / Old Timer's game (when Dick Allen launched a mammoth homer almost to the scoreboard in straight-away center field and Erned Banks made multiple errors) the day before. Anyway, at that time the place where we parked was a massive piece of empty land near what looked to be a high school.

Fungo
12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't mind it. The only thing that scares me is, dare I say, they won the whole thing at our place. Talk about not hearing the end of that. God help us.

soxnut
12-23-2004, 09:35 AM
While that is an interesting and possible scenario, I wonder how much faith I would put into what a Chicago cop has to say about the Cubs and their stadium plans. I live in Boston and heard all the ridiculous speculation about moving Fenway here, there and everywhere, and none of them came to fruition.

My guess is eventually they will have to move, but they won't do it any time soon. They are going to milk that park and the nostalgia until that place falls apart...

Oh and if the Cubs do play at Comiskey, "Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" should be sung whenever a Cubs pitcher is pulled...
Well, as I also mentioned, I think, in that post, that it wouldn't happen until 2016.

But as to keep this as a White Sox post, what do you think about that stuff about JR controlling the liquor licenses around Bridgeport? Therefore no bars, and nothing for the poor Cub fans to do before and after the game?:whiner:

soxnut
12-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Is this the site of remote parking lots for Cubs games? I seem to remember parking well to the west of the Urinal and then taking a shuttle bus to the stadium about 15 years ago when the All-Star game was played there. I didn't actually go to the game, but to the All-Star Workout / Home Run Derby / Old Timer's game (when Dick Allen launched a mammoth homer almost to the scoreboard in straight-away center field and Erned Banks made multiple errors) the day before. Anyway, at that time the place where we parked was a massive piece of empty land near what looked to be a high school.
Not sure, but that sounds right to me. I could imagine that they would have land by the river, and it probably would be designed like PNC or SBC of course, and get alot of accolades.:(:

Dolanski
12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, as I also mentioned, I think, in that post, that it wouldn't happen until 2016.

But as to keep this as a White Sox post, what do you think about that stuff about JR controlling the liquor licenses around Bridgeport? Therefore no bars, and nothing for the poor Cub fans to do before and after the game?:whiner:
poor Cub fan? what about the poor white sox fan??? I doubt he has control over the liquor licenses, but certainly, being who he is, has influence. But it also doesn't exactly serve his best interests to quell the nightlife around the park. I think the lack of bars has more to do with the neighborhood than JR. It has gotten much, much better around there than in the past, but it still has a bad rep.

Grobber33
12-23-2004, 10:41 AM
First up, Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Second,,,,the Sox are opposed to the Cubs playing in 'New Comiskey' for a whole season. THAT could be overruled by the State which has a say,but keep in mind the Cubs dont want to play there either. You can bet it will not come to that.

Third,,,if the Cubs DO play there,THEY get to control the music,and other stuff that goes on just like the Marlins had control when they played there in Sept. The only time Na Na Hey Hey was ever played at Wrigley was 1981 when the Cubs beat the Sox in the Mayor Byrne Charity game after the Strike ended,and the marketing director told the organists never again. They dont want to play the other team's song as a 'rub it in'. Brooks Boyer had a Cub logo with the circle and line thru it last year on the South Side,but John McDonough said no to doing that with a Sox logo at Wrigley. Somebody would have to hack into the sound system from outside to make it happen(a Cal Tech Student hacked into the Rose Bowl scoreboard Jan 2,1984 when the Illini were getting beat 45-9 by UCLA and kept posting bogus scores. If that could be done 21 years ago,it likely could be done now!).

Lastly, I'm on Comcast Sports Net's 'CHICAGO TRIBUNE LIVE' show for the first time ever tomorrow(Fri Dec 24)at 5:30pm as one of a few guests,and if this comes up, I'll talk about it.

samram
12-23-2004, 10:50 AM
:nandrolone
"They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?" <<Dials cell phone>> "Hello, Mr. Conte, long time no speak. I feel another 60 homer season coming around, if you catch my drift."

ewokpelts
12-23-2004, 10:54 AM

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballparkliquor licenses are controlled by the city, and owned by the individual establishment....i doubt this info. If they do leave wrigley, they'll turn it into a museum......a better idea would be to build a new stadium, and keep wrigley operational for select games, y'know sell the "classic" experience but still have an ultra modern stadium to bilk fans...since they'll both be within driving distance, they can have two games back to back in different parks!
Gene

DumpJerry
12-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Upon further reflection, I don't think there will be much a turnout because unlike "Lakeview," Comiskeyville is dangerous.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 11:20 AM
:nandrolone
"They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?" <<Dials cell phone>> "Hello, Mr. Conte, long time no speak. I feel another 60 homer season coming around, if you catch my drift.":) :) :)

mcfish
12-23-2004, 11:32 AM
I absolutely doubled over laughing at this .............HEHH HEHH HEH HEH
Fireworks when opposing team homers!

I would think Uncle Jerry is SALIVATING at the prospect of his beloved cubs
playing at our park, and HIM MAKING MONEY. Unfortuneately, he would
just Pocket the LootDidn't the Sox say during last season that U.S. Cellular field was not available to the Cubs if they needed to close Weeghman Park because of the falling concrete?

Clembasbal
12-23-2004, 11:32 AM
My pops (Bleacher-bum Cub fan from the '70s who refuses to go to any games at Wrigley any more) and I discussed this a few times over the year.

He said that if it were to happen you would see real Cub fans because he would go see his favorite team. He said that trendy Cub fans really know nothing about baseball and that they would be afraid to go to US Cellular or not go because it isn't called "one of the best stadium's ever."

I think that if they do play there, then they should have to pay JR and the other owners and that the Sox should reep the benefits.

I say let them do it and then we will actually see how many people go to a Cubs game outside of Wrigley. I guarentee that they will not sell out as often as people might think.

maurice
12-23-2004, 01:59 PM
The Sox don't control liquor licences around the park. They (and the State) control the parking lots around the park. As long as they insist on keeping the lots completely undeveloped, there can be no bars directly around the park . . . though there's a perfectly good bar two blocks to the north, and several more bars for anybody willing to travel a bit farther than that.

daveeym
12-23-2004, 03:26 PM
If anyone has a say about liquor around the cell it's bill wartz. And I'm sure him and jr got a deal worked out.

Jjav829
12-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Bad idea. Then their dopey fans would become White Sox fans and we'd be the new Cubs. :o:

dcb33
12-23-2004, 03:43 PM
If anyone has a say about liquor around the cell it's bill wartz. And I'm sure him and jr got a deal worked out.Who cares? Tailgating is way more fun and economical than sitting in some dark, smoky bar.

Keep the Cubs out of the Cell. Since their fans love Wrigley and the neighborhood so much, why should they be given the convenience of being able to park a car within walking distance of the stadium at a reasonable price or be able to tailgate and bring their own booze instead of making the owner of HiTops rich?

Make them drive to Milwaukee...

Kogs35
12-23-2004, 04:03 PM
the cubs love the neighborhood feel make em play at thillens

SaltyPretzel
12-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Who cares? Tailgating is way more fun and economical than sitting in some dark, smoky bar.

I agree. It would be nice if the Sox encouraged tailgating by using some of the renovation money to build booths with permanent washrooms stations that sell ice and charcoal in the lots. Those Port-o-Johns get pretty gross and there's no place to wash your hands. :o:

SOXFAN82
12-23-2004, 05:44 PM
I say nobody goes to the game. It would be nice to see nobody there. They would have to use computerized crowd sounds when something happened.

Brian:dtroll:

soxwon
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM

you knowwhat would happen.
they would like THE CELL so much they would move there, then the Sox would move out of town.

can you say charlotte sox?

robertks61
12-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Cub fans would be treated to the best food in MLB and would be introduced to a new concept. PARKING!

Clembasbal
12-23-2004, 10:13 PM
the cubs love the neighborhood feel make em play at thillens
I played there a long time ago for the city championship. My team (Westlawn Southside) deafeated a Northside team by over 20 runs.

Typical when it comes to baseball skill.

dcb33
12-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I agree. It would be nice if the Sox encouraged tailgating by using some of the renovation money to build booths with permanent washrooms stations that sell ice and charcoal in the lots. Those Port-o-Johns get pretty gross and there's no place to wash your hands. :o:That's an excellent idea. Those portable bathrooms are truly disgusting, especially when it's 90 degrees out in August and the sun has been shining on them all day. The smell alone is enough to make you seriously consider holding it in until you get inside the stadium.
The thing that upsets me the most about the lack of running water is you have no place to wash your hands after handling raw meat. I suppose one could just bring their own soap and water or sanitary wipes, but that creates a lot of extra work and you can't wash your hands as thoroughly as you otherwise could if you had access to running water.

FightingBillini
12-24-2004, 12:02 AM
liquor licenses are controlled by the city, and owned by the individual establishment....i doubt this info.
I don't doubt it. While he may not "control everything", Reinsdorf has a big say into any developments around the park. Its in the sweet ass contract he got with the state. I believe its one of the reasons McCuddy's was torn down (or was it on land currently occupied by the Cell?) Anyway, Uncle Jerry didn't want any businesses within a certain radius of the park. He thought that if there were restaraunts and bars, people would eat or get loaded before the games, and not spend any money inside. Even he now has to realize that this lack of development is one of the biggest things that hurt the new park. Even if people eat and drink before the game, they will still buy stuff in the park. The last several games I went to, we ate at Ferro's before the game, and usually ended up getting something in the middle or toward the end of the game.

soxnut
12-24-2004, 12:12 AM
poor Cub fan? what about the poor white sox fan??? I doubt he has control over the liquor licenses, but certainly, being who he is, has influence. But it also doesn't exactly serve his best interests to quell the nightlife around the park. I think the lack of bars has more to do with the neighborhood than JR. It has gotten much, much better around there than in the past, but it still has a bad rep.
Sorry, I forgot to teal that part about the poor Cub fans.:?:

I do like the way the neighborhood is shaping up. Hopeuflly in a few years there will be a few more pre and post game places around the park. It surely would add to the whole "game-going" experience.

soxnut
12-24-2004, 12:15 AM
That's an excellent idea. Those portable bathrooms are truly disgusting, especially when it's 90 degrees out in August and the sun has been shining on them all day. The smell alone is enough to make you seriously consider holding it in until you get inside the stadium.
The thing that upsets me the most about the lack of running water is you have no place to wash your hands after handling raw meat. I suppose one could just bring their own soap and water or sanitary wipes, but that creates a lot of extra work and you can't wash your hands as thoroughly as you otherwise could if you had access to running water.
The Sox should really take a look at Milwaukee as an example of how to run tailgating. They have some stands in their parking lots, which I think have bathrooms. I know that they serve beer and brats, have seats and tv's. They're pretty nice. I suppose they would have to have bathrooms if they are serving food and drink.