PDA

View Full Version : What about Gregg Zaun?

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:06 AM
Apparently, he wants a 2-year deal and Toronto doesn't seem to want to give him one...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2004/12/21/792449.html
Free agent Gregg Zaun, meanwhile, rejected the Jays offer of salary arbitration giving them a Jan. 8 deadline to re-sign him.

The Jays have offered Zaun, who earned $400,000 in '04, a one-year deal with a vesting option for 2006 based on '05 plate appearances. Zaun is holding firm for a guaranteed two-year deal.

"It gives us the ability to keep talking," Ricciardi said. "I don't think it's a bad thing. We want to bring him back and I still think we will."Surely we could offer him a little bit more than $400,000 for 2 years, right? Zaun's numbers were pretty good last season and he's a switch-hitter...

Gregg Zaun (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=124748)
338 AB
.269 AVG
.367 OBP
6 HR
36 HR

We should still have enough money to sign both Eckstein AND Zaun.

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:07 AM
No thanks....

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:07 AM
No thanks....May I ask why?

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:11 AM
May I ask why?
I'll tell you why....the Sox already have not one, but TWO catchers that can put up those numbers. We don't need a 3 catcher platoon system. Davis and Burke can put up those numbers and we don't need to waste a roster spot hoping for better. That roster spot can be better used and Burke doesn't deserve to be in the minors for the season that he had on a very limited basis last year in the big dance

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:13 AM
I'll tell you why....the Sox already have not one, but TWO catchers that can put up those numbers. We don't need a 3 catcher platoon system. Davis and Burke can put up those numbers and we don't need to waste a roster spot hoping for better. That roster spot can be better used and Burke doesn't deserve to be in the minors for the season that he had on a very limited basis last year in the big danceBurke did well last season but he only did it in 120 at bats. Who knows what production we get from Burke next season? :?:

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Burke did well last season but he only did it in 120 at bats. Who knows what production we get from Burke next season? :?:
The same can be said for Zaun. If he was that great, someone would have bit already. There aren't that many fantastic catchers out there

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:16 AM
The same can be said for Zaun. If he was that great, someone would have bit already. There aren't that many fantastic catchers out thereAgreed. There's Pierzynski but he blows defensively and he's apparently a team cancer. What a shame...

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:19 AM
I'm perfectly happy with the Burke/Davis combo. They were the least of the Sox' worries last year.

Chicago83
12-23-2004, 02:23 AM
I saw Zaun was available and thought the same thing as you. Wouldn't be too bad of a pick up. But MUsoxfan is probably right, we already have two guys who are basically the same player as Zaun. If we can get him for cheap it's not a bad idea to get some insurance so we can send Burke or Davis down to AAA.

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:26 AM
insurance so we can send Burke or Davis down to AAA.
Davis would be $1m in AAA. He's not that bad

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Davis would be $1m in AAA. He's not that badAs a defensive catcher - no he's not. As a hitter - I suggest you look at his career numbers...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=150433&statType=1

On second thought, maybe you shouldn't unless you want to be depressed. :wink: However, if he could put up his 2001 Padres numbers again I wouldn't complain about him.

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:32 AM
I don't think the Sox are looking to have a premier catcher. They're not, because if they did, we'd have one. Davis is fine for a #8 or #9 hitter. He really picked it up after being with the Sox a month or so last year (Greg Walker??) He's fine. Greg Zaun is fine. We don't need another "fine" catcher. We have two of those. A premier catcher isn't fitting into the plans of the Sox and I really don't think it should for now

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:35 AM
I don't think the Sox are looking to have a premier catcher. They're not, because if they did, we'd have one. Davis is fine for a #8 or #9 hitter. He really picked it up after being with the Sox a month or so last year (Greg Walker??) He's fine. Greg Zaun is fine. We don't need another "fine" catcher. We have two of those. A premier catcher isn't fitting into the plans of the Sox and I really don't think it should for nowWell, I just hope we snag Eckstein then. That will at least soften the blow of the bottom of our lineup...

LF Scott Podsednik
2B David Eckstein
DH Frank Thomas / Carl Everett
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
CF Aaron Rowand
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

Getting Eckstein to bat #2 and moving Uribe down in the order would make our 7 - 8 - 9 look a little better at least.

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't mind that

owensmouth
12-23-2004, 04:23 AM
One thing about Zaun, he beat the crap out of our pitching staff. Get him under contract just to keep him from whipping us.

JRIG
12-23-2004, 04:24 AM
I don't think the Sox are looking to have a premier catcher. They're not, because if they did, we'd have one. Davis is fine for a #8 or #9 hitter. He really picked it up after being with the Sox a month or so last year (Greg Walker??) He's fine. Greg Zaun is fine. We don't need another "fine" catcher. We have two of those. A premier catcher isn't fitting into the plans of the Sox and I really don't think it should for now
Davis hit .231 with a .276 OBP with the Sox last year. Better than Seattle? Yes. But still brutal, even for a catcher. It's not "fine." Catcher was a huge black hole last year and it will continue to be one this year.

gosox41
12-23-2004, 07:40 AM
I'll tell you why....the Sox already have not one, but TWO catchers that can put up those numbers. We don't need a 3 catcher platoon system. Davis and Burke can put up those numbers and we don't need to waste a roster spot hoping for better. That roster spot can be better used and Burke doesn't deserve to be in the minors for the season that he had on a very limited basis last year in the big dance
Ben Davis has a career .306 OBP. That is also what he had last year. He's not a good hitter at all. In fact, I can't see how he's worth a million bucks, even in this market.

Bob

tstrike2000
12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Ben Davis has a career .306 OBP. That is also what he had last year. He's not a good hitter at all. In fact, I can't see how he's worth a million bucks, even in this market.

Bob
Bob, once again, it's hard to argue with you. He's also a career .237 hitter, which is about what he was still batting in his "career" year of 01. Greg Zaun only made 400k last year, he could probably be a cheaper and better alternative, but catcher is the least of our worries.

kittle42
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
How about no?

gosox41
12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Bob, once again, it's hard to argue with you. He's also a career .237 hitter, which is about what he was still batting in his "career" year of 01. Greg Zaun only made 400k last year, he could probably be a cheaper and better alternative, but catcher is the least of our worries.

Since KW is finally filling holes, catcher ranks right behind finding a 2B/SS IMHO.

Isn't it ironic that the guy that the pitchers supposedly like pitching to the most is Ben Davis yet Ben Davis had the highest ERA of all the Sox catchers last year?

I still would sign AJ for cheap. Cheap enough where JR will release him without giving it a second thought if he becomes a cancer. If not, I like Zaun.

Bob

Randar68
12-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I saw Zaun was available and thought the same thing as you. Wouldn't be too bad of a pick up. But MUsoxfan is probably right, we already have two guys who are basically the same player as Zaun. If we can get him for cheap it's not a bad idea to get some insurance so we can send Burke or Davis down to AAA.
I really can't believe people are depending on Burke to this extent. He's a perfect 3rd catcher if someone get's hurt, but to expect meaningful contribution over the course of a season?

That's some strong stuff some Sox fans are smoking.

Randar68
12-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Davis hit .231 with a .276 OBP with the Sox last year. Better than Seattle? Yes. But still brutal, even for a catcher. It's not "fine." Catcher was a huge black hole last year and it will continue to be one this year.
Bingo. Every time some guy comes up and hit's half-way decent in a few selected at-bats, he's suddenly dependable, decent, "least-of-our-worries", etc etc...

It really is somewhat mind-boggling that people think it's OK to go into next season with Davis/Burke as our primary catching duo...

*SHUDDER*

Hell, Ryan Hankins would probably be a better option than Burke...

Jerome
12-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Apparently, he wants a 2-year deal and Toronto doesn't seem to want to give him one...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2004/12/21/792449.html
Surely we could offer him a little bit more than $400,000 for 2 years, right? Zaun's numbers were pretty good last season and he's a switch-hitter...

Gregg Zaun (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=124748)
338 AB
.269 AVG
.367 OBP
6 HR
36 HR

We should still have enough money to sign both Eckstein AND Zaun.

Those stats are pretty decent. Certainly a huge improvement over Davis. And we really don't know about Burke yet - I don't think he got enough ABs.

If we had Zaun, at least we would have some hope of the catcher spot not being a black hole in the lineup.