PDA

View Full Version : Astros offer Beltran 6-years, $96 million?

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
"'Significant offer' made to Beltran
Astros brass meets with free agent center fielder"
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925192&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

"Beltran shown the money
Astros sparing no expense over coveted free agent"
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bb/astros/2960856
Although the Astros declined to divulge the offer, industry sources say Beltran's price topped $16 million per year based on the offers he has received and the current market. It is clear the Astros offered at least a six-year, $96 million deal.The Flubs could be out of luck at this point. That's alot of money to match and they still haven't traded Sosa. Maggs to the Cubs could actually happen.

StillMissOzzie
12-23-2004, 01:48 AM
"'Significant offer' made to Beltran
Astros brass meets with free agent center fielder"
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925192&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

"Beltran shown the money
Astros sparing no expense over coveted free agent"
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bb/astros/2960856
The Flubs could be out of luck at this point. That's a lot of money to match and they still haven't traded Sosa. Maggs to the Cubs could actually happen.
I can't see ANY team with both Sosa and Beltran, neither the sCrUBS, Mets, or anyone else, and I sure hope you're right that the sCrUBS are out of the hunt. Unfortunately, since I think Maggs will end up doing a 1-year, incentive-laden deal to prove his health, I agree that there is a chance that he ends up on the north side.

SMO
:D: about Beltran goin' elsewhere
:angry: about Maggs goin' to the dark side

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:29 AM
I'd rather see him with the Astros than the Yankees any time. I can root for him with the Astros

ilsox7
12-23-2004, 02:46 AM
If this news is true, it's time for Carlos to sit down at the table with the Astros brass. None of this, "only talk to my agent" crap. It's obvious the Astros are serious. And I honestly think Carlos would be making a huge mistake going to NY. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who could handle NY, IMO.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 02:52 AM
If this news is true, it's time for Carlos to sit down at the table with the Astros brass. None of this, "only talk to my agent" crap. It's obvious the Astros are serious. And I honestly think Carlos would be making a huge mistake going to NY. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who could handle NY, IMO.Once he signs the contract it won't matter much, will it?

samram
12-23-2004, 07:37 AM
If this news is true, it's time for Carlos to sit down at the table with the Astros brass. None of this, "only talk to my agent" crap. It's obvious the Astros are serious. And I honestly think Carlos would be making a huge mistake going to NY. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who could handle NY, IMO.
Why? He performed extremely well in the playoffs last season, which was really the only time he has ever been in the spotlight. Plus, like Jabroni says, once he signs, it doesn't really matter whether he can or can't, he'll be paid, and if he can't handle it, he'll get traded and he'll be happy. It wouldn't surprise me, by the way, if that happened to Pavano.

gosox41
12-23-2004, 07:45 AM

No, no, no, thats not how it's done. Only the evil JR wants a sit down with a player before signing a player to a big contract. No other team in baseball does this for the mighty Scot Boras. But of course we all know JR is the only owner to offer deferred money so that's not an option at all here.

Bob

samram
12-23-2004, 07:58 AM
No, no, no, thats not how it's done. Only the evil JR wants a sit down with a player before signing a player to a big contract. No other team in baseball does this for the mighty Scot Boras. But of course we all know JR is the only owner to offer deferred money so that's not an option at all here.

Bob
That's true- all the other owners give the player the entire contract value upon signing.

Dub25
12-23-2004, 02:38 PM
I can't see ANY team with both Sosa and Beltran, neither the sCrUBS, Mets, or anyone else, and I sure hope you're right that the sCrUBS are out of the hunt. Unfortunately, since I think Maggs will end up doing a 1-year, incentive-laden deal to prove his health, I agree that there is a chance that he ends up on the north side.

SMO
:D: about Beltran goin' elsewhere
:angry: about Maggs goin' to the dark side
If Beltran signs with the Astros I think the Yankees would be all over Maggs. They took a risk with Lieber last year.

Rocky Soprano
12-23-2004, 02:41 PM
If Beltran signs with the Astros I think the Yankees would be all over Maggs. They took a risk with Lieber last year.
I hope you are right.

What a slap in the face would it be if Maggs signed with the Flubs.

Kogs35
12-23-2004, 02:43 PM
didnt he want to go there anyway?

HAPPY 900th to me:bandance:

NSSoxFan2
12-23-2004, 02:51 PM
I hope you are right.

What a slap in the face would it be if Maggs signed with the Flubs.
I for one can care less where Magglio signs. He doesn't and never did care about the White Sox, and more importantly, us, the fans of the Sox. Magglio lost all my respect when he claimed to want to come back to the Sox, yet he dropped his agent to go with Boras. The Sox made him a more than fair offer in the middle of the season, and he got greedy.

Palehose13
12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I for one can care less where Magglio signs. He doesn't and never did care about the White Sox, and more importantly, us, the fans of the Sox. Magglio lost all my respect when he claimed to want to come back to the Sox, yet he dropped his agent to go with Boras. The Sox made him a more than fair offer in the middle of the season, and he got greedy.:thumbsup:

Rocky Soprano
12-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I for one can care less where Magglio signs. He doesn't and never did care about the White Sox, and more importantly, us, the fans of the Sox. Magglio lost all my respect when he claimed to want to come back to the Sox, yet he dropped his agent to go with Boras. The Sox made him a more than fair offer in the middle of the season, and he got greedy.
I agree with everything you said, nonetheless I dont want him to sign with the Flubs. I think it has more to do with how it would become a media frenzy and how the Sox would be portrayed in all of this.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2004, 03:58 AM
I HIGHLY doubt he was offered 6 years, $96 mill. Having read that quote, sounds like they're saying that's what he's worth in this offseason's market. The most I see the Astros giving in their INITIAL offer is about $13-$14 mill per. In the end, he prolly will get $16 mill per, but not as his first offer.

Astros look to be in great shape right now.
Cubs have an extreme outside chance at making a run at him.
Anaheim already signed Steve Finley.
The Orioles haven't been as aggressive and are spending all their time on Carlos Delgado and Magglio Ordonez.
The Yankees, as Brian Cashman said on ESPN Radio, have pitching as their # 1 priority. Randy Johnson is all they are thinking right now. Cashman also said he thinks they are offensively set. He maybe using smokes and mirrors, but I think he was being honest. Doesn't mean they won't at least make an attempt to offer him a deal. The meeting between Beltran and Steinbrener was labeled a "meet and greet", nothing serious.
The Mets and Tigers are also possibilities but neither one of them being a contender hurts their chances a ton.