PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Jermaine Dye fact

MeanFish
12-22-2004, 11:46 PM
In 2004, Jermaine Dye was 4th in the major leagues in pitches per plate appearance. That should soften the blow somewhat whlie Frank's out of the lineup.

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 12:03 AM
In 2004, Jermaine Dye was 4th in the major leagues in pitches per plate appearance. That should soften the blow somewhat whlie Frank's out of the lineup.
You can't have too many hitters like that on the team.

:reinsy
Yeah, so why bother?

Special thanks to Torn Labrum. :cool:

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Work them pitchers, Jermaine!

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 12:53 AM
partially a result of his general manager being billy beane...hopefully that trend continues.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 01:04 AM
partially a result of his general manager being billy beane...hopefully that trend continues.I don't think you can attribute Dye's ability to work pitchers to Billy Beane. One of the reasons Beane probably chose to go after Dye was because of his ability to work pitchers when he was with the Royals.

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:12 AM
[QUOTE=NonetheLoaiza]partially a result of his general manager being billy beaneQUOTE]

I really don't think Billy Beane was on the field coaching him through at-bats. It seems to me that he's naturally a patient hitter

Troupis
12-23-2004, 08:16 AM
In 2004, Jermaine Dye was 4th in the major leagues in pitches per plate appearance. That should soften the blow somewhat whlie Frank's out of the lineup.Very nice statistic! He was actually tied for FIRST in the MLB last year with 4.3 P/PA.

Big Frank is Beane's dream player with his plate patience, now with Dye too, pitchers are going to get very worn out.

Konerko is a stud in P/PA as is Uribe (probably because of his erratic swing).

So as I see it we have 4 players who really work pitchers : Thomas, Konerko, Dye and Uribe and they may hit in a row in the lineup.

Oh, and for the nay-sayers who will inevitably say this statistic is useless, check out Boston's team: 6 of their players were in the top 17 last year!

Side note: CLee and Valentin were great at this :(

fquaye149
12-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Very nice statistic! He was actually tied for FIRST in the MLB last year with 4.3 P/PA.

Big Frank is Beane's dream player with his plate patience, now with Dye too, pitchers are going to get very worn out.

So as I see it we have 4 players who really work pitchers : Thomas, Konerko, Dye and Uribe and they may hit in a row in the lineup.

Oh, and for the nay-sayers who will inevitably say this statistic is useless, check out Boston's team: 6 of their players were in the top 17 last year!

of course jose would work it 8 or 9 pitches to strike out looking

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Very nice statistic! He was actually tied for FIRST in the MLB last year with 4.3 P/PA.

Imagine Radke with a 15 pitch at bat to Thomas where he fouls off 7 and then walks...followed by lengthy Dye at bat where Radke eventually makes a big mistake that ends up halfway up those football bleachers.

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=NonetheLoaiza]partially a result of his general manager being billy beaneQUOTE]

I really don't think Billy Beane was on the field coaching him through at-bats. It seems to me that he's naturally a patient hitter
partially a result. tejada wasn't a patient hitter when he first came up, but with beane being the general manager, he reinforced the importance of seeing more pitches to draw a walk and drive up the pitch count, and as the seasons progressed, tejada became a more patient hitter. beane tells his players to see more pitches. Before he got to Oakland, Dye saw a little over 3.5 pitches per at bat. When he got to Oakland, he was seeing a little over 4.1 pitches. Chalk it up to coincidence or whatnot, but I am almost positive that Beane had some kind of influence.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 11:27 AM
partially a result. tejada wasn't a patient hitter when he first came up, but with beane being the general manager, he reinforced the importance of seeing more pitches to draw a walk and drive up the pitch count, and as the seasons progressed, tejada became a more patient hitter. beane tells his players to see more pitches. Before he got to Oakland, Dye saw a little over 3.5 pitches per at bat. When he got to Oakland, he was seeing a little over 4.1 pitches. Chalk it up to coincidence or whatnot, but I am almost positive that Beane had some kind of influence.I don't buy this at all. Did you ever think that maybe becoming a more patient hitter has to do with getting more and more at bats and gaining more hitting experience during the course of a season?

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I don't buy this at all. Did you ever think that maybe becoming a more patient hitter has to do with getting more and more at bats and gaining more hitting experience during the course of a season?dye spent the 97-00, and part of the 01 season with the royals. the minute he went to oakland, his pitches per plate appearance went up. In 2001, he had 3.78 P/PA with the royals and 4.11 with the A's. I see where you are coming from, but I'm just saying that due to being the OBP guy Beane is and his desire for players to see more pitches, Beane had to be partially responsible for getting Dye to see more pitches. Whether that includes a sit down meeting with him saying, 'i would really like you to try and get more pitches, as is our philosophy' or showing him video of how he could be getting on base more if he took more pitches, I think Beane helped refine his pitch taking skill.

I'm just saying, by looking at his P/PA numbers, something clicked in Oakland, and I think it was due to some help from BB.

EDIT: Dye was on OBP guy with the Royals, hence why BB wanted him. I'm just arguing in terms of his P/PA numbers that Beane had helped him.

fquaye149
12-23-2004, 12:03 PM
dye spent the 97-00, and part of the 01 season with the royals. the minute he went to oakland, his pitches per plate appearance went up. In 2001, he had 3.78 P/PA with the royals and 4.11 with the A's. I see where you are coming from, but I'm just saying that due to being the OBP guy Beane is and his desire for players to see more pitches, Beane had to be partially responsible for getting Dye to see more pitches. Whether that includes a sit down meeting with him saying, 'i would really like you to try and get more pitches, as is our philosophy' or showing him video of how he could be getting on base more if he took more pitches, I think Beane helped refine his pitch taking skill.

I'm just saying, by looking at his P/PA numbers, something clicked in Oakland, and I think it was due to some help from BB.

EDIT: Dye was on OBP guy with the Royals, hence why BB wanted him. I'm just arguing in terms of his P/PA numbers that Beane had helped him.
beane helped him? so a guy with 11 career walks taught him how to take more pitches per at bat?

Or do you think Beane just said "take more pitches" and Dye slapped himself on the forehead and said, "D'oh! I forgot about that!"

Perhaps someone in the A's organization taught him how...but to say it was BEANE is taking moneyball to an illogical step.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:06 PM
beane helped him? so a guy with 11 career walks taught him how to take more pitches per at bat?

Or do you think Beane just said "take more pitches" and Dye slapped himself on the forehead and said, "D'oh! I forgot about that!"

Perhaps someone in the A's organization taught him how...but to say it was BEANE is taking moneyball to an illogical step.Don't you get it?

With all of his omnipotence, Beane used his power of mind persuasion to force Dye to take more pitches.

:fobbgod:
"Yes, I really am that powerful Jabroni. NOW, BOW DOWN BEFORE ME YOU INSOLENT SWINE!"

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2004, 12:06 PM

Perhaps someone in the A's organization taught him how...but to say it was BEANE is taking moneyball to an illogical step.

No matter who taught him, or even if he disciplined himself, he's more likely to maintain that trend than revert to his earlier form with the Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Don't you get it?

With all of his omnipotence, Beane used his power of mind persuasion to force Dye to take more pitches.

NOT TEAL!!!

:tealpolice:

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
its not like i said, billy beane is the only reason jermaine dye had so many pitches per plate appearance. Beane has put together a team more less with good OBP, right? He stresses the importance of seeing as many pitches as possible as a philosophy to the team. I never said he took Dye aside and personally showed him to take more pitches. I guess I should have said the Oakland A's as an organization helped teach Dye to take pitches? I was simply saying that a philosophy that Beane preaches, reverberated through the organization, allowed Dye to harness his pitch taking abilities.

yyz
12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
SPod saw 4.0 P/PA last year - the same as Paulie and Jose.

MeanFish
12-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Seems to be a pattern. Perhaps KW really does know what he's doing.

NonetheLoaiza
12-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Assuming key players are healthy this year (Dye, El Duque, etc), I am really excited about our season. I think we can battle it out with Minnesota.