PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers: Konerko can still be moved for Vazquez + $$$

Win1ForMe
12-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Interesting. Rogers thinks we should offer Konerko a contract extension and trade him if he doesn't sign it.

So here's my unsolicited suggestion (which probably has crossed the mind of Williams and his assistant, Rick Hahn): Give Konerko a very short window to consider a two-year extension at perhaps $9 million a year—so you would have him signed through 2007, perhaps with a club option for '08—and hope he takes it.

Konerko is reliable both in the middle of the lineup—can you remember when Jerry Manuel stopped playing him?—and the middle of the clubhouse. He fits the mold of a cornerstone. But he can't be one if he doesn't want to be one. So make the offer and find out what's on his mind.

If Konerko flinches, picturing himself with one of those Adrian Beltre/J.D. Drew deals, then Williams should acknowledge the reality of the White Sox's financial situation and move fast. There's a reasonable chance Konerko (and probably Jon Garland) could be used to revive the Johnson-to-the-Yankees deal.

In return for their services, the White Sox should want the much-discussed Javier Vazquez and about $15 million from the Yankees. That would get the Sox's commitment to Vazquez down to about $6 million a year over the next three years—and maybe Arizona and the Yankees would put in a prospect apiece.http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041222rogers,1,7909404.column?coll=cs-home-utility

DMarte708
12-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Konerko AND Garland for Vazquez? :o:

Unfortantely, this is what it may take to acquire him for 6million a year.

Yankees won't pay more than $10mil/yr of Vazquez's contract unless we offer a good package. I'd hate to give up Konerko, especially since there are few remaining replacements on the FA market, but if Williams believes Vazquez at 6ml is a bargain (which it is) he may pull the trigger.

Erik The Red
12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Trade both PK and Garland for Vazquez?

:chunks

Rocklive99
12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Talk about dejavu, or were the last couple of weeks just a dream? :?:

wdelaney72
12-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Rogers makes this suggestion based on IF and ONLY IF it looks like Konerko will walk and try and get the big contract after 2005.

I think he's right-on about this.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Trade both PK and Garland for Vazquez?Does anyone really think that we will re-sign Konerko after next season anyways? He is going to get a Troy Glaus-type deal when he's a free agent.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Rogers makes this suggestion based on IF and ONLY IF it looks like Konerko will walk and try and get the big contract after 2005.

I think he's right-on about this.Agreed. Does anyone actually think Konerko isn't going to expect Troy Glaus money if he has another great year in 2005? Someone will give it to him and I bet it won't be JR, especially not with Ozzie's desire for speed. Not to rip on him but Konerko is the slowest player in the MLB. He doesn't really fit into what Ozzie and KW want to do with this team.

Whitesox029
12-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Interesting. Rogers thinks we should offer Konerko a contract extension and trade him if he doesn't sign it.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041222rogers,1,7909404.column?coll=cs-home-utilityWhat planet is Phil Rogers from?

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 11:59 PM
What planet is Phil Rogers from?I think Phil Rogers makes alot of sense in this column. Offer Konerko an extension. If Paulie says no, we likely won't be able to afford him next offseason anyways. This way we will know to trade him now while we can still get something for him. I have a feeling that if we don't do this we will be sorry next season, similar to not trading Maggs away. But we kind of got screwed out of that once he got injured. Just imagine, we could've had Andruw Jones right now. Instead, Maggs will be gone for nothing; not even draft picks. :(:

ilsox7
12-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Agreed. Does anyone actually think Konerko isn't going to expect Troy Glaus money if he has another great year in 2005? Someone will give it to him and I bet it won't be JR, especially not with Ozzie's desire for speed. Not to rip on him but Konerko is the slowest player in the MLB. He doesn't really fit into what Ozzie and KW want to do with this team. He would have to weigh a guaranteed 20-30 million versus the potential of a bad year or an injury. After seeing what happened to Maggs, and PK being a pretty damn good team player, it would not surprise me if he accepted a deal as proposed by PR.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:01 AM
He would have to weigh a guaranteed 20-30 million versus the potential of a bad year or an injury. After seeing what happened to Maggs, and PK being a pretty damn good team player, it would not surprise me if he accepted a deal as proposed by PR.Agreed. Of all the players in the MLB, I would think Paulie would take a 2-year, $20 million contract extension to stay with us.
But remember, money talks...
The following trade scenario would make alot of sense for all teams involved if Paulie said no to a contract extension...

White Sox get:
Javier Vazquez + cash ($10 - $15 million) from Yankees
Shea Hillenbrand

Yankees get:
Randy Johnson

Diamondbacks get:
Paul Konerko
Jon Garland
White Sox prospect(s) (if necessary)
Dioner Navarro
Eric Duncan

We replace Garland with Vazquez and get money from the Yankees to help pay for Vazquez' contract and we get Hillenbrand from the Diamondbacks to replace Konerko at 1B. Then we could have a righty/lefty platoon of Hillenbrand and Gload at 1B. The Diamondbacks will have Konerko to play 1B and Glaus to play 3B. They will also clear about $6 million in payroll while adding a ton of talent.

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Konerko AND Garland for Vazquez? :o:

Unfortantely, this is what it may take to acquire him for 6million a year.

Yankees won't pay more than $10mil/yr of Vazquez's contract unless we offer a good package. I'd hate to give up Konerko, especially since there are few remaining replacements on the FA market, but if Williams believes Vazquez at 6ml is a bargain (which it is) he may pull the trigger.
Konerko and Garland combined make about as much as Vazquez, maybe a tiny bit more, so we wouldn't even have room to get anyone else to fill that void like we did when we traded Lee (we were able to sign El Duque).

twsoxfan5
12-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Just when I start to get exicted about a team it looks like it may get dismantled again. I hate to see Konerko go, but I would have said that about maggs last year and look what happened. If he doesn't bite at an extension than I think we have to let him go because we will get screwed next year. And then we will be told that all the money we saved on not resigning Konerko was used to give Joe Borchard and the grounds crew their well deserved raises. And our only option is to trade.

ilsox7
12-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Just when I start to get exicted about a team it looks like it may get dismantled again. I hate to see Konerko go, but I would have said that about maggs last year and look what happened. If he doesn't bite at an extension than I think we have to let him go because we will get screwed next year. And then we will be told that all the money we saved on not resigning Konerko was used to give Joe Borchard and the grounds crew their well deserved raises. And our only option is to trade.
Dude, I wouldn't say the team is about to get dismantled again. It's a sports writer (albeit a good one) making a suggestion, albeit not a bad one. Take it with a grain of salt. If we've learned anything this offseason, it should be that if e read about it, it probably won't happen.

Kogs35
12-23-2004, 12:11 AM
can we stop with this vazquez talk already?:angry:

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:16 AM
can we stop with this vazquez talk already?:angry:Damn, I thought my trade scenario in post #11 made alot of sense. :(:

twsoxfan5
12-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I am not saying that this is a certainty by any means. I just start to get excited and then worried again I just need this season to start. And I hope the Vazquez talk stops too.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:21 AM
I don't think anyone could disagree with this excerpt...
But what hasn't been discussed is Konerko, who appears to be worth every penny of his $8.75 million salary coming off a 41-homer, 117-RBI season, is eligible for free agency after 2005. With the market going up, what kind of a deal will he be looking at if he comes near those numbers again?Also, after reading that article is it just me or does Phil Rogers really like Gload? :cool:

Kogs35
12-23-2004, 12:27 AM
After reading that article, is it just me or does Phil Rogers really like Gload? :cool:
maybe, but im sick of all these cubune writers come up with these stupid idea's every freaken day. if its not phil rodgers or cub sullivan its sam smith. :angry: cubune writers just shut up

ilsox7
12-23-2004, 12:27 AM
After reading that article, is it just me or does Phil Rogers really like Gload? :cool: I liked when Mr. Rogers took us on a tour of the crayon factory. That episode rocked. Sorry it's late and I am trying to catch up to your post count jabroni :)

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:30 AM
I liked when Mr. Rogers took us on a tour of the crayon factory. That episode rocked. Sorry it's late and I am trying to catch up to your post count jabroni :)You have a ways to go. :wink:

I'm just curious what you guys think of my trade scenario in post #11 on the first page of this thread. Any responses? :?:

popilius
12-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I think too many people are worried too much about what will happen after 2005. We need Konerko now. He is one of the cornerstones of team, and perhaps he may leave next winter, the but we have to be concerned with the immediate future- and we need PK in the immediate future.

:gulp:

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I think too many people are worried too much about what will happen after 2005. We need Konerko now. He is one of the cornerstones of team, and perhaps he may leave next winter, the but we have to be concerned with the immediate future- and we need PK in the immediate future.

:gulp:True, but if we don't make the playoffs in 2005 and Konerko leaves to free agency in the offseason people will be bitching and saying, "Why didn't we trade Konerko when we had the chance?!?"

ilsox7
12-23-2004, 12:37 AM
You have a ways to go. :wink:

I'm just curious what you guys think of my trade scenario in post #11 on the first page of this thread. Any responses? :?:
I think a couple of things have to be considered. First of all, is KW really going to try to win it this year? By that I mean if we are in contention in June will he spend a significant amount of money to essentially buy a missing piece or two? If the answer is yes, then we keep PK b/c we need his bat. If PK accepts a reasonable extension, I think we should sign him to that.

However, if KW is looking more towards 2006 (I hope not), then you trade PK b/c if I am not mistaken we'd essentially have our whole pitching staff signed thru 06. That could give us flexibility to add missing pieces next offseason b/c we won't have the staff to deal with. Overall, I try to keep PK here and hope we can acquire the necessary pieces to win 4 games out of 7 in October.

popilius
12-23-2004, 12:41 AM
True, but if we don't make the playoffs in 2005 and Konerko leaves to free agency in the offseason people will be bitching and saying, "Why didn't we trade Konerko when we had the chance?!?"
I agree with you. . . look at what happened with Maggs! Imagine what players we could have gotten in return for Maggs in early July.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I agree with you. . . look at what happened with Maggs! Imagine what players we could have gotten in return for Maggs in early July.If he didn't get injured, we could've had Andruw Jones. :whiner:

Chicago83
12-23-2004, 02:19 AM
However, if KW is looking more towards 2006 (I hope not), then you trade PK b/c if I am not mistaken we'd essentially have our whole pitching staff signed thru 06.
That's why I say do this trade!! If we can acquire Vazquez then we would have a solid pitching staff locked up for two years, possible one of the better staffs in the majors. Buerhle, Garcia, and Vazquez are all aces and Hernandez is a great fifth starter. The only question mark would be Jose, who has the ability to dominate.

I love this idea, put the pressure on Paulie to sign a cheap extension and trade him away if he won't. I think it's a win-win situation.

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:37 AM
Look....Garland is a fine 5th starter, and an alright 4th starter. The Sox need power in the lineup (Paulie). It's dumb to trade a Garland for a Vazquez, which may the same pitcher.....and power...which the Sox are lacking as of late.

The Sox now have 1-5 straight. No need to mess with it

OurBitchinMinny
12-23-2004, 02:41 AM
Who the hell is gonna hit for this team if konerko is dealt? And thomas isnt ready to go? Dye is a solid player, but he would be our best RBI guy and thats probably not a good thing

cbrownson13
12-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Who the hell is gonna hit for this team if konerko is dealt? And thomas isnt ready to go? Dye is a solid player, but he would be our best RBI guy and thats probably not a good thing
Well, if we were able to get someone like Hillenbrand in the trade (who the D-Backs would have no need for) he would probably hit pretty well. He hit .310, 15, 80 last year. Playing at The Cell would probably help the power numbers a bit. I'd like Konerko to stay, but if he can't be resigned and we can get a good deal out of it, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him.

If Dye stays healthy I think he can put up some real good numbers playing here. However, thats a big if.

TheBull19
12-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Someone will give it to him and I bet it won't be JR, especially not with Ozzie's desire for speed. Not to rip on him but Konerko is the slowest player in the MLB. He doesn't really fit into what Ozzie and KW want to do with this team.Even the '87 Cardinals had Jack Clark, and that's about as speed and defense oriented as you can get.

beck72
12-23-2004, 05:31 AM
If Pk and Garland are moved, I'd like C Dioneer Navarro to the Sox along with Vazquez. With the salaries almost a wash, NY could give less cash with Vazquez and get the sox a switch hitting 20 yr old C from Venezuela.

Nick@Nite
12-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Well, if we were able to get someone like Hillenbrand in the trade (who the D-Backs would have no need for) he would probably hit pretty well. He hit .310, 15, 80 last year. Playing at The Cell would probably help the power numbers a bit. I'd like Konerko to stay, but if he can't be resigned and we can get a good deal out of it, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him.The thing that stands out with Hillenbrand is that he can't take a pitch (86 BB in four seasons) but generally makes contact (275 SO career = 69 per year).

Shea Hillenbrand (http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=150167&statType=1)

If the Sox reel in Eckstein, this guy would thrive in a line-up with Pod & Eck. If PK goes, I'd also like to see this guy at 1B.

veeter
12-23-2004, 08:22 AM
My first thought was that Rogers wrote this column before the Sox signed "The Duke". I mean how many pitchers do we need. If we traded Konerko and Gload didn't come through, Rogers would write how we have no offense and Konerko is missed. My feeling is, from what I know about Konerko, is that he would sign an extension. He seems to be the kind of guy who realizes whether it's 9 million a year vs. 11 million he's still filthy rich.

soxfan43
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
for once I actually agree with that idiot Rogers. They should try to lock up Paulie right now and if not, put some feelers out to other teams. I don't think they should trade him for Vazquez though. We have a decent enough staff right now, if they lose Konerko they have no one to drive in runs.

nodiggity59
12-23-2004, 10:18 AM
KW did say in one of his press conferences that he played golf with Paulie - probably in Arizona?

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I mean how many pitchers do we need.

Enough to win the World Series. Anything short of that and the Sox don't have enough.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2004, 10:31 AM
I agree with Rogers on this one. If Paulie wants to stay, he'll sign the extension. If not, it would be foolish for KW not to get maximum value for him while his trade value is high after producing so well in 2004, rather than risk losing him for nothing but draft picks after 2005.

If forced to choose, I'd rather the Sox have a dominant rotation and a sub-par lineup than a weaker rotation and a somewhat stronger lineup. In a perfect world, you have both. But if you can't have both, it's much easier to trade for a power-hitting 1B in July than it is to get a dominant starter.

The addition of Vazquez would give the Sox a potential rotation of Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Vazquez, Jose Contreras and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez in 2005, with everyone except Hernandez under their control through '07.

HomeFish
12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Ok, folks, let's get in touch with reality here. The trade makes sense if you think about it the following way:

1) The Sox are not going anywhere in 2005. We have decenter pitching than we had in years past, but we have virtually no offensive capabilities to speak of. Last I checked, you need to score runs to win games.

2) Konerko is going to be out of our range after 2005 by virtue of his 2004 season alone, pending a 2003-esque collapse. Even then, he'd still want a significant payraise; he's just put up too many power numbers not to demand it, and there WILL be other teams willing to give him that.

3) Garcia, Vazquez, Buerhle, Contreras, Hernandez is a far firmer foundation than Garcia, Buerhle, Contreras, Hernandez, Garland. Better pitching is always a plus.

If we want to rebuild for 2006, this is THE move to make. Of course, that assumes that JR would be willing to spend for offense in the 2005-6 offseason -- which he won't be. So, either way, we lose. We either get nothing or get to be the new LA Dodgers.

mdep524
12-23-2004, 11:05 AM
I say let's do it. The Sox aren't going to the playoffs without a good #3 starter, which Vazquez is. If the offense really suffers, we could look to pick up a bat in June or at the trading deadline, as there are always more power hitters available in the middle of the season than number 3 pitchers, and the hitters would come cheaper too.

socko82
12-23-2004, 11:36 AM
I really think the Sox could get in on this without giving up Paulie. The Yankees and Dbacks are desperate to make this work and don't want this whole thing to fall apart. A package of Garland, Marte, Borchard and a B-level prospect might work.

And before you say how ridiculous this is, remember we got Bartolo Colon for Rocky Biddle and Jeff Liefer.

A. Cavatica
12-23-2004, 11:53 AM
It comes down to whether the Sox are serious about contending, serious about rebuilding, or ambivalent about their chances.

KW apparently expects to contend in 2005, so the Sox must keep Konerko until at least the All-Star break. They could try to extend him, but even if he turns it down, they can't trade him without replacing his bat.

If the Sox are building toward 2006, then they should trade Konerko now. Two years at $9M or $10M would be a mistake. He's not a superstar, he's got a history of prolonged slumps, and the money could be better spent elsewhere. The Lee trade should be the model.

If the Sox were to offer PK the extension, then trade him if he turns it down, that means they're ambivalent about 2005.

Mohoney
12-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Konerko and Garland combined make about as much as Vazquez, maybe a tiny bit more, so we wouldn't even have room to get anyone else to fill that void like we did when we traded Lee (we were able to sign El Duque).
The Yankees would have to throw in a boatload of cash, which could be used to sign Eckstein and John Olerud. Bear with me for a minute here.

So our rotation would be:

Garcia
Buehrle
Vazquez
El Duque
Contreras

Our bullpen is still intact, as Marte isn't given up in the deal.

Eckstein is added and pushes whoever turns out to be the bigger liability between Crede and Willie to the bench.

Olerud plays 1B and hits 5th or 6th, with Gload backing him up.

The offensive downgrade isn't as steep as it first appears, because Eckstein relegates either Crede or Harris to the bench.

Actually, if we can get an additional pitching prospect out of this deal, I would throw Crede in, too. We can go with Olerud at 1B, Willie at 2B, Eckstein at SS, and Uribe at 3B. That looks very good defensively, and there is an upgrade in OBP simply by Crede being gone.

Nick@Nite
12-23-2004, 01:06 PM
It comes down to whether the Sox are serious about contending, serious about rebuilding, or ambivalent about their chances.

KW apparently expects to contend in 2005, so the Sox must keep Konerko until at least the All-Star break. They could try to extend him, but even if he turns it down, they can't trade him without replacing his bat.

If the Sox are building toward 2006, then they should trade Konerko now. Two years at $9M or $10M would be a mistake. He's not a superstar, he's got a history of prolonged slumps, and the money could be better spent elsewhere. The Lee trade should be the model.

If the Sox were to offer PK the extension, then trade him if he turns it down, that means they're ambivalent about 2005.Teams looking at contending in two years sometimes break through the year prior... if Vasquez is acquired, trading PK as part of that process, the Sox can win next year providing Gload is not the answer at 1B.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see the Sox somehow get Hillenbrand from the D'Backs as part of the RJ-PK-Vasquez deal.

Mohoney
12-23-2004, 01:59 PM
if Vasquez is acquired, trading PK as part of that process, the Sox can win next year providing Gload is not the answer at 1B.
Exactly why I suggested John Olerud as a fallback option.

mdep524
12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Exactly why I suggested John Olerud as a fallback option.
Gload 2004: .321 BA .375 OBP 7 HR 44 RBI
Olerud 2004: .259 BA .359 OBP 9 HR 48 RBI

Why would Olerud be better than Gload, who is younger and likely cheaper?

PS Mohoney, I love the Naked Gun reference in your sig. :redneck

Chisox003
12-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Gload 2004: .321 BA .375 OBP 7 HR 44 RBI
Olerud 2004: .259 BA .359 OBP 9 HR 48 RBI

Why would Olerud be better than Gload, who is younger and likely cheaper?

Ya i agree...If Konerko goes give the job to Gload....Alot younger, Alot more upside, and he proved he could be a pretty solid hitter last year....

maurice
12-23-2004, 02:30 PM
It comes down to . . . (etc.)As usual, I agree 100%. The missing piece from the Rogers article is how to spend the money they'd get from the Yanks + the leftover money from the Lee deal. In any event, I don't see Konerko being dealt until midseason at the earliest . . . though not for lack of trying (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/231sd3.htm):
[T]he Sox are still enamored with the idea of somehow adding Yankees hurler Javier Vazquez to the rotation. With the three-way deal involving New York, Los Angeles and Arizona having fallen apart, Williams wasted no time trying to take the place of the Dodgers. The plan would be for Sox to get Vazquez while the "Big Unit" went to the "Big Apple." "Right now I'm like Michael Jordan in that All-Star Game with Isiah (Thomas)," Williams said. "No one is passing me the ball. Somebody let me in. I tried to get in it last week, but no one would pass me the ball." The Sox have reportedly dangled Garland and a package of young players for the Diamondbacks, but they haven't gotten the feedback they'd hoped to get. "If something makes sense we'll entertain it," Williams said. "But I don't see anything coming down the pipeline (with those two teams)."

MeanFish
12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Ya i agree...If Konerko goes give the job to Gload....Alot younger, Alot more upside, and he proved he could be a pretty solid hitter last year....
Actually, both are 28 years old.

mdep524
12-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Actually, both are 28 years old.
I think Chisox003 meant that Gload is younger than John Olerud.

Chisox003
12-23-2004, 03:16 PM
I think Chisox003 meant that Gload is younger than John Olerud.
Yup....

soxfan43
12-23-2004, 04:14 PM
for what its worth, this is from cbs sportsline:

Nothing to those rumors that the Chicago White Sox might trade Paul Konerko, sources close to the club say. Having traded Carlos Lee to Milwaukee and having lost Magglio Ordonez to free agency, Konerko now is the main stick in the middle of a slimmed-down Sox order.

Mohoney
12-23-2004, 04:20 PM
John Olerud, when at least semi-protected in a lineup, has always put up very good OBP numbers. That 1st half in Seattle, he was hitting 3rd a lot in one of the most putrid offenses in baseball. Those 49 games with the Yankees, however, he hit .280 and posted an OBP of .367, which is WAY closer to his career #s than that dismal time he spent in Seattle.

As a #5 or #6 lefty bat that can draw a walk and hit with RISP, Olerud sounds good to me as a 2 or 3 year stopgap, if we're able to add Eckstein and upgrade from Garland to Vazquez.

Nick@Nite
12-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Exactly why I suggested John Olerud as a fallback option.For some reason, I thought Olerud was 40 years young, though he's kinda close at 36 (37 come August). His line from last year isn't bad and would improve a little at the Cell;

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
127 425 45 110 20 1 9 48 159 61 61 0 0 .359 .374 .259

I'd prefer Hillenbrand (<--probably should be deep pink). Having two lefties at 1B (Gload & Olerud) doesn't make sense... KW would then have to move Gload.

Mohoney
12-23-2004, 04:58 PM
For some reason, I thought Olerud was 40 years young, though he's kinda close at 36 (37 come August). His line from last year isn't bad and would improve a little at the Cell;

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
127 425 45 110 20 1 9 48 159 61 61 0 0 .359 .374 .259

I'd prefer Hillenbrand (<--probably should be deep pink). Having two lefties at 1B (Gload & Olerud) doesn't make sense... KW would then have to move Gload.
I really don't see a RH hitting 1B as a necessity on this team. I could live with both being lefty. Just like I could live with Eckstein as a righty.

I say, make any upgrades that you can to the pitching staff, get as many guys as possible that have proven that they can get on base, and not worry so much about lefty-righty matchups or lost power.

We were next-to-last (13th out of 14) in the AL in ERA and in the bottom half (8th out of 14) in OBP. Any upgrade to these two areas could be a godsend.