PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Wishes...

ukigdog
12-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Now that we got that fifth starter for not too much money, if we can sign AJ and Eckstein we would be awesome. Can you imagine this lineup:

Podsednik
Eckstein
Rowand
Thomas
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

As opposed to the lineup at the end of last season:

Rowand
Valentin
CLee
Konerko
Everett
Gload
Crede
Davis
Uribe

or something like that. My Gosh our offense i think is better than last year, and our pitching rotation is studly now!!! With our revamped bullpen i think we would have a more consistent team than last year and a division winner.

Then we can trade as we usually do for a front line starter and move garland to pen.

Wed be set!!

Go sox!

kittle42
12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I believe the re-signing of Ben Davis will preclude the adding of another catcher.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 06:24 PM
I believe the re-signing of Ben Davis will preclude the adding of another catcher.Agreed. I think it's Eckstein or Cora and we're done. Hopefully, it will be Eckstein. :wink:

Troupis
12-22-2004, 07:00 PM
KW already said "no thanks - no way" to AJ (with his Twins roots and jerk-self).

It's down to Eckstein or good ol' Cora nepotism - or at leat we assume.

soltrain21
12-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah, KW didn't even offer AJ a contract.

I hope we bring in Eckstein or Cairo, myself. However I think Ecky is going to end up here.

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Eckstein to the White Sox would require St. Louis to make a very stupid decision in terms of what SS they go after.

The smart money right now is on Cora.

soltrain21
12-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Eckstein to the White Sox would require St. Louis to make a very stupid decision in terms of what SS they go after.

We just have to beat them to it.

Jurr
12-22-2004, 08:06 PM
We just have to beat them to it.
They are rumored to be targeting Lugo.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 08:08 PM

The smart money right now is on Cora.Not really. The Cardinals are supposedly interested in SS Julio Lugo as well.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 08:10 PM
They are rumored to be targeting Lugo.:wink:

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Not really. The Cardinals are supposedly interested in SS Julio Lugo as well.

I presume that, despite their ownership's main product, the Cardinals front office is sober enough to realize that Eckstein is the better of the two.

I hope not, though.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I presume that, despite their ownership's main product, the Cardinals front office is sober enough to realize that Eckstein is the better of the two.

I hope not, though.Julio Lugo may be a wife-beater but he can still hit a bit. I agree though, I'd much rather have Eckstein.

doctor30th
12-22-2004, 09:46 PM
I was reading the article about El Duque Signing when I read this:

Although Williams declined to comment when directly asked during Wednesday's conference call, the White Sox have been in contact with David Eckstein's agent after he was non-tendered Monday night by the Angels. Eckstein was a favorite of manager Ozzie Guillen's last season, when the Angels and White Sox faced off, because of his grittiness and the manner in which he set up the offense at the top of the order. The diminutive shortstop also made just six errors in the field during the 2004 season and could factor into the White Sox's plans as a starter or a utility infielder Could they be planing to sign both, perhaps one being in more of a utility fielder role? I wouldn't mind having both Cora and Eckstein

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Nah, we just need one -- Eckstein. Then, either Willie or Crede could be a sub on the bench since Uribe can play SS, 2B, and 3B and Eckstein can play SS and 2B.

SS Uribe
2B Eckstein
3B Crede
OR
SS Eckstein
2B Willie
3B Uribe

doctor30th
12-22-2004, 09:53 PM
though I would be happy with one, I don't think it would hurt to have both. We do have room to play on our roster.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 09:56 PM
though I would be happy with one, I don't think it would hurt to have both. We do have room to play on our roster.Well, you've gotta assume that the Cardinals will sign at least one of them. They have holes at SS AND 2B. :o:

CallMeNuts
12-22-2004, 09:57 PM
If we signed Eckstein & Cora, I'm afraid they'd come up short. :rolleyes:

A. Cavatica
12-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I really hope they don't sign Cora, and signing Eckstein wouldn't thrill me either. Why drop $2 million on a player whose OBP has fallen from good to mediocre, when you already have a much younger, cheaper player whose OBP has risen from bad to mediocre? Based on their ages, I expect Willie to improve further and Eckstein to decline further.

I'll grant that Eckstein seems to have better "intangibles". At worst, he would be a nice utility infielder, and a spring training battle between Eckstein and Harris couldn't hurt. But $2 million is a lot to spend without demonstrably improving your team.

OEO Magglio
12-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Nah, we just need one -- Eckstein. Then, either Willie or Crede could be a sub on the bench since Uribe can play SS, 2B, and 3B and Eckstein can play SS and 2B.

SS Uribe
2B Eckstein
3B Crede
OR
SS Eckstein
2B Willie
3B Uribe
If Eck is signed he definitely plays 2nd.

doctor30th
12-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Well from what I've read they (ST. Louis) are looking for more pop in their short stop's bat so they are going for Lugo, As for Second, I thought they were going to Use Bo hart again.

kaufsox
12-22-2004, 11:13 PM
While Eckstein would be the best pickup, I do think Cora would be an improvement over Willie and would make the Sox pretty strong up the middle. (a better catcher would be nice too, but there is only so much speculation before it becomes fantasy.)

NonetheLoaiza
12-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I am an Eckstein fan, but I would be alright with either direction we go, assuming we go either. Can't wait for Spring Training...

Rocklive99
12-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Don't forget Varitek

SouthSideHitman
12-23-2004, 12:32 AM
While Eckstein would be the best pickup, I do think Cora would be an improvement over Willie and would make the Sox pretty strong up the middle. (a better catcher would be nice too, but there is only so much speculation before it becomes fantasy.)
Welcome aboard!

KW said that he didn't want Pierzynski because he didn't fit the clubhouse and I would guess that the same could be said of Lugo. Kenny is trying to put together a team with chemsitry both in terms of approach (speed and pitching-centered) and in terms of being good guys in the clubhouse (which is, I believe one reason that we got rid of CLee and not Paulie). And I'm kinda glad. I don't know how successful it'll be but I'd kinda like to think that they're good guys who act like a team. I've always been proud that the Sox were the ones who were gonna force league-wide steroid testing until the Players Association forced them not to. So let's cross our fingers and hope for Eckstein, that would be a pretty good facelift of an offseason, three good pitchers and a new-look offense.

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Don't forget Varitek:reinsy
"Lay off the wacky tobaccy, Rocklive99!"

Fire Kenny
12-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Its dumb not to get Pierzynski, people gotta stop being so damn subjective and be objective. Pierzynski is one of the best offensive catchers in the game and 100 times better than Ben Davis.

SluggersAway
12-23-2004, 11:36 PM
It looks like we are almost all set for the start of the season:

Podsednik
Uribe
Thomas (Everett until the Big Hurt is ready)
Konerko
Rowand
Dye
Harris (maybe Eckstein)
Crede
Davis

I like this line-up and think we may be able to go pretty far with it. Cheer up. Merry Christmas!

Even brighter is the pitching staff. "If you will it, it is no dream"

OEO Magglio
12-23-2004, 11:47 PM
It looks like we are almost all set for the start of the season:

Podsednik
Uribe
Thomas (Everett until the Big Hurt is ready)
Konerko
Rowand
Dye
Harris (maybe Eckstein)
Crede
Davis

I like this line-up and think we may be able to go pretty far with it. Cheer up. Merry Christmas!

Even brighter is the pitching staff. "If you will it, it is no dream"

That's close but I really do believe we sign Cora and see something like this:
spod
cora
arow
frank
pk
dye
uribe
crede
davis

Chisox003
12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Its dumb not to get Pierzynski, people gotta stop being so damn subjective and be objective. Pierzynski is one of the best offensive catchers in the game and 100 times better than Ben Davis.
I agree 100%...

I love his additude and I think hed be spark to the lineup...but if KW and the Sox know something that we dont and think thatd hurt the team/chemistry, obviously its not a good signing....I say go for it