PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben Davis practicing his Spanish this offseason?

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Freddy Garcia
Jose Contreras
Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez

3 of our 5 starting pitchers speak Spanish as their first language. Good thing Ben Davis is fluent in Spanish. :thumbsup:

MeanFish
12-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Hopefully he's also working on catching a splitfinger fastball.

Foulke You
12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Hopefully he's also working on catching a splitfinger fastball.
and hitting a regular fastball! :D:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 10:40 PM
and hitting a regular fastball! :D:Ben needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball. :(:

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 10:43 PM
He won't impress me until he's fluent in English, Spanish and Japanese like Timo.

mikef1331
12-22-2004, 10:52 PM
He won't impress me until he's fluent in English, Spanish and Japanese like Timo.

The only way anyone MIGHT impress you is if they parted the Red Sea.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 10:54 PM
He won't impress me until he's fluent in English, Spanish and Japanese like Timo.The only guy on the team who can talk to 3 of our starting pitchers AND our closer. :thumbsup:

Viva Medias B's
12-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Freddy Garcia
Jose Contreras

3 of our 5 starting pitchers speak Spanish as their first language. Good thing Ben Davis is fluent in Spanish. :thumbsup:
Make that 4 of 5 if we get Vaz.

Whitesox029
12-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Freddy Garcia
Jose Contreras

3 of our 5 starting pitchers speak Spanish as their first language. Good thing Ben Davis is fluent in Spanish. :thumbsup:Garcia speaks fluent English I'm pretty sure. I don't know about El Duque but Contreras will definitely have trouble...How does he talk to Shingo is the question. I guess by now he must know enough English to survive in the Majors...curveball, fastball, frisbee, etc.

SoxFan76
12-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Garcia speaks fluent English I'm pretty sure. I don't know about El Duque but Contreras will definitely have trouble...How does he talk to Shingo is the question. I guess by now he must know enough English to survive in the Majors...curveball, fastball, frisbee, etc.
Garcia speaks English, but it sure as hell aint fluent. He is very hard to understand.

Kogs35
12-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Garcia speaks English, but it sure as hell aint fluent. He is very hard to understand.
garica's english is funny to listen to.

GAsoxfan
12-22-2004, 11:22 PM
If Contreras knows as little English as people think he does, then it took a lot of effort on his part to learn that little English in the time he's been here. I spent three months in Italy, and by the end I could get around fine. He would have had to make a concerted effort to not learn English.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Garcia speaks English, but it sure as hell aint fluent. He is very hard to understand.Yep, he speaks pretty broken English.

TheArmyOfNeems
12-22-2004, 11:35 PM
ozzie is hard to understand

NWSox
12-23-2004, 01:20 AM
But of the four catchers the Sox used last season—Davis, Burke, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Miguel Olivo—the staff ERA was highest with Davis behind the plate.

Davis caught a team-high 397 innings, and the Sox had a staff ERA of 5.15.

The catcher with the best ERA was Olivo, who was sent to Seattle in that trade amid rumblings that he didn't call a good game. The Sox's ERA was 4.69 in 366 innings with Olivo catching.

Burke had the second-best ERA among Sox catchers at 4.78 in 292 innings.
Did anyone see this in the Cubune today? Unless this is one of those statisitics that has no value because of too many other variables, this doesn't bode well.

BRDSR
12-23-2004, 02:45 AM
The only way anyone MIGHT impress you is if they parted the Red Sea.
Make that 4 of 5 if we get Vaz.
I pray to the Holy Being that parted the Red Sea that we don't give up the money and talent it would take to make Vaz a White Sox. Consistency is the second greatest pitching stat after ERA, and even with Garland's blame game and problems with the "big inning" he's been very consistently average over the past 3-4 seasons. I'm happy with him as a 4th or 5th starter. Don't risk the money on Vazquez, he will be too expensive.