PDA

View Full Version : Wade Miller to Red Sox?!

soltrain21
12-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I am getting sick of Boston and the way they are buying players now.

I hope Miller fails, and Clement has a terrible year.

Media will probably make it sound like this is a great move. Any other team would of signed him and they would say it was risky.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 04:39 PM
"Miller can make up to $4.5 million"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1951927
The Boston Red Sox have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with former Houston Astros pitcher Wade Miller.

Miller, who was 7-7 with a 3.35 ERA in 15 starts before going on the disabled list June 29 with a season-ending rotator cuff injury, passed a physical exam Wednesday in Boston and agreed to a contract with a $1.5 million base salary and $3 million in incentives. Agent Bob Garber said the deal will be finalized on Thursday.Wow, they got him cheap. I guess they are worried that his arm may fall off.

bobj4400
12-22-2004, 04:48 PM
We paid 4 mil guaranteed for the 40 yr old El Duque and they got Miller for 1.5 mil base??? This just makes no sense...I dont get it.

JUribe1989
12-22-2004, 04:56 PM
We paid 4 mil guaranteed for the 40 yr old El Duque and they got Miller for 1.5 mil base??? This just makes no sense...I dont get it.
*35 Year Old El Duque

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 04:57 PM
We paid 4 mil guaranteed for the 40 yr old El Duque and they got Miller for 1.5 mil base??? This just makes no sense...I dont get it.Did you ever think that maybe Miller accepted less money to pitch for the World Series champs? Afterall, there are many other teams than the White Sox that didn't sign him at that price.

The Wimperoo
12-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Media will probably make it sound like this is a great move. Any other team would of signed him and they would say it was risky.
How is it anything but a great move. 1.5 million for a possible 15-17 game winner, 4.5 million at the most. It's not like 1.5 million breaks the bank for anyone except Uncle Jerry. Of course it is risky, but I would say the reward definitely outweighs the risk in this situation.

soltrain21
12-22-2004, 05:03 PM
How is it anything but a great move. 1.5 million for a possible 15-17 game winner, 4.5 million at the most. It's not like 1.5 million breaks the bank for anyone except Uncle Jerry. Of course it is risky, but I would say the reward definitely outweighs the risk in this situation.

I didn't know how much they paid for him at the time. I was more bashing the media's love for the Red Sox more than anything.

NonetheLoaiza
12-22-2004, 05:34 PM
:boston

well this is just a great move by the Red Sox. the red sox have all but sealed up another world series title.

santo=dorf
12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
We paid 4 mil guaranteed for the 40 yr old El Duque and they got Miller for 1.5 mil base??? This just makes no sense...I dont get it.Or it really says something about Miller's health.

The Red Sox are becoming more and more ridiculous each year. I'm surprised nobody has mention how they bought John Halama (starting pitcher) for the bullpen earlier this offseason. They are also paying Kim $6 million to pitch for the Pawtuckett Red Sox and have 3 first basemen under contract. :mad:

:boston
"It's so great to be a Red Sox fan I tell ya'!"

Fenway
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Boston is in the same division as the Yankees...what do you expect them to do???

playoffs a short money team can win, but not over 162

California Sox
12-22-2004, 08:34 PM
1.5 mil is a very small risk for a guy who, if healthy, could win 15 games. If he's a bust, they can go out and get someone in June (thanks NESN).

Probably wouldn't have signed with us for the same money.

StockdaleForVeep
12-22-2004, 10:20 PM

But this is the loveable red sox, you cant complain about them, i mean, theyre not the talent gobbling yankees right?

::vomits::

Tragg
12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
plus incentives that could reach $4 mill. couldn't we have done that? Take a chance on Wade Miller at a price less than Shoenweiss? We didn't spend all of the Lee savings - the sore shouldered El Duque only cost Kenny Williams $4 mill guaranteed

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-23-2004, 01:42 PM
the red sox are also defending world series champions, there were a ton of teams interested in him and i'm sure quite a few teams offered more than that.

Iwritecode
12-23-2004, 01:53 PM
plus incentives that could reach $4 mill. couldn't we have done that? Take a chance on Wade Miller at a price less than Shoenweiss? We didn't spend all of the Lee savings - the sore shouldered El Duque only cost Kenny Williams $4 mill guaranteed

It's not always money that makes the difference.

See Clement, Matt.

Hangar18
12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
The SOX SHOULDVE offered him that much .......... but Jerrys Broke, remember?

anewman35
12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Um, what? We just gave El Duque that much, so if we had wanted to offer Wade Miller that much, why wouldn't we? How can you say Jerry is broke when he just signed somebody to that contract you want Wade Miller at? Are you saying we should sign El Duque AND Wade Miller?

Iwritecode
12-23-2004, 02:12 PM

I don't remember reading that they didn't...