PDA

View Full Version : Who's 5th and Who's 4th in this rotation?

Whitesox029
12-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Should El Duque really be the 5th starter? I think, as the one with more experience, he should be the 4th starter. Garland I think will flourish in the 5th spot with little to no pressure. Orlando can handle pressure a little better. (not that there is a whole lot in the 4th spot, but you know what I'm saying don't you?)
Feel free to post our entire rotation in the order you like best (This should be fun, considering we don't have to put any blanks or question marks or pink text in there for the first time in who knows when:
1. Buehrls
2. Freddy G
3. Contreras
4. El Duque
5. Garland

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Stick Garland in at 5th. Piss him off. Give him something to prove. If he starts racking up the wins, then it worked. If he withers away, then he's an incurable headcase. Ship him to Tampa where he'll have noooo pressure.

johnnyg83
12-22-2004, 05:00 PM
But if El Duque's stamina is an issue, the 5 spot protects him a little more.

SomebodyToldMe
12-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Stick Garland in at 5th. Piss him off. Give him something to prove. If he starts racking up the wins, then it worked. If he withers away, then he's an incurable headcase. Ship him to Tampa where he'll have noooo pressure.
Totally agree.

You hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

Dolanski
12-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Does this really matter? 4 or 5, 5 or 4, we have a solid rotation. Both guys will probably pitch the same number of starts because of minor injuries to any one of the starters anyways. Let's just hope that we don't have to see any of the "Not Ready For the Major Leagues" players during the season...

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
But if El Duque's stamina is an issue, the 5 spot protects him a little more.Exactly what I was going to say. El Duque has the ability to be a #3 but he should be kept at #5 with Garland at #3 to keep El Duque healthy.

A.T. Money
12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
I think if you're smart, you do the rotation like this:

Burly
Contreras
Garcia
El Duque
Garland

This will wrap two of our weaker starters in Garland and Contreras around Burly.

That's what I would do.

CecilCooper
12-22-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm worried about El Duque's injury potential - why not make him like a "Super 5" - have a five man rotation but give him half of the "normal" days off that a 5 would normally get? That way, you rest the other 4 a bit more, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Does this really matter? 4 or 5, 5 or 4, we have a solid rotation. Both guys will probably pitch the same number of starts because of minor injuries to any one of the starters anyways. Let's just hope that we don't have to see any of the "Not Ready For the Major Leagues" players during the season... Exact-o-mundo!

I guarantee the pitchers that get the most innings and the most starts will be the ones who PITCH THE BEST. That means Buehrle and Garcia are almost a cinch to be 1 and 2; the other three are up for grabs.

One thing is sure, that rockhead Garland is going to have to PROVE he is worthy of not getting skipped in the rotation. He's a ****ing head case who is finally going to have to PRODUCE because for the first time in his career, he'll only get what his own performance says he deserves.

Personally I think rockhead is talented enough to be a #3, but he could just as easily prove himself nothing but a long reliever and spot starter. That's how ****ed up he is. I wouldn't count on him to do jack ****. Hawk Harrelson has egg all over his face for telling us how Garland was going to step up in 2004.

:hawk
"Mercy... I have egg all over my face endorsing that rockhead!"

Rockhead ------------> :jon

A. Cavatica
12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Contreras is 5th. He's proved the least.

DickAllen72
12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. El Duque has the ability to be a #3 but he should be kept at #5 with Garland at #3 to keep El Duque healthy.

Ditto for me!

JRIG
12-22-2004, 06:44 PM
About the only time it makes a shread of difference if Pitcher A is the #2 starter and Pitcher B is the #4 starter is making out your rotations for the playoffs. And we've got a long way to go before that happens.

Having 5 starting pitchers who belong in the big leagues is quite a change from recent years. Like PHG said, the pitchers who perform the best will get the most innings and be the "#1," "#2," and "#3" starters. Those who don't will be replaced or will get skipped.

StillMissOzzie
12-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Exact-o-mundo!

One thing is sure, that rockhead Garland is going to have to PROVE he is worthy of not getting skipped in the rotation. He's a ****ing head case who is finally going to have to PRODUCE because for the first time in his career, he'll only get what his own performance says he deserves.

Personally I think rockhead is talented enough to be a #3, but he could just as easily prove himself nothing but a long reliever and spot starter. That's how ****ed up he is. I wouldn't count on him to do jack ****. Hawk Harrelson has egg all over his face for telling us how Garland was going to step up in 2004.

Couldn't agree more, PHG. Time to light a fire under Judy's ass, as I think that 2005 will be a make-or-break year for him. Now that he's eligible for arbitration, I don't think he'll get off so lucky as to get another contract without going through the arb process, unless he shows a marked improvement. And Hawk, how about this year you just ****?

SMO
:gulp:

BigEdWalsh
12-22-2004, 09:55 PM
I think El Duque will begin as 3rd starter until he's injured (knock on wood). Contreras 4th and Garland 5th.

dcb33
12-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Rest assured if our 5 starters were on the Cubs we'd be told they would all be number 1 starters!

In all seriousness, what does it matter at this point? It will all work itself out in Spring Training. I'm just glad we have five major league calibur starters for a change.

Whitesox029
12-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Ken Williams in his conference call on MLB.com says that he thinks El Duque is a number 3 guy.

Daver
12-22-2004, 10:24 PM
I have never liked slotting rotations.

Take your best pitcher out of ST, he is your opening day starter, same goes for two and three, the rest works itself out along the way.

The only time you need to slot your pitchers is in the post season.

Foulke You
12-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I have never liked slotting rotations.

Take your best pitcher out of ST, he is your opening day starter, same goes for two and three, the rest works itself out along the way.

The only time you need to slot your pitchers is in the post season.
Daver, what's your opinion on slotting starters based on type of stuff as some managers do? Like slotting a slower junkball thrower after a fireballer, etc? Sometimes I think it has merit in a shorter series. You get a guy used to seeing fastballs and then the junk the next day can throw off an opposing team's timing. Obviously, it ultimately depends on how well a pitcher is throwing but I think it has some effect.

Daver
12-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Daver, what's your opinion on slotting starters based on type of stuff as some managers do? Like slotting a slower junkball thrower after a fireballer, etc? Sometimes I think it has merit in a shorter series. You get a guy used to seeing fastballs and then the junk the next day can throw off an opposing team's timing. Obviously, it ultimately depends on how well a pitcher is throwing but I think it has some effect.
It works in the post-season, but in the regular season let your pitchers stick to their regimen, use your pen to offset the batters. That philosphy works a lot better when you have a manager that has a clue how to use a pen though, Ozzie does not.

This is also a reason to have a decent signal caller behind the plate, as good catchers will study the opposing hitters tendencies as much as the pitching coach will, and will use that to get the most out of whoever is on the mound.

The ability to direct a pitcher is slowly becoming a lost art though, the way that calling a game is almost non existant from a catcher nowadays.