PDA

View Full Version : Sox still working on a contract with Rowand...

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:11 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox22.html
Aaron Rowand was tendered a contract, but a deal for the projected starting center fielder has proved more difficult to reach than with other arbitration-eligible players such as Uribe, Jon Garland and Timo Perez.

The Sox are trying to lock up Rowand to a multiyear contract but might have to resort to a one-year deal.

Soxzilla
12-22-2004, 02:16 PM
I don't blame Rowand on this ... one more year of him hitting like he did last year and he'll get PAID.:tongue:

WS need to Git-R-Dun.

Mickster
12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I don't blame Rowand on this ... one more year of him hitting like he did last year and he'll get PAID.:tongue:
Great. When he does it, pay him. String along 2 or more years before getting all big-headed.....

Who's his Agent? Boras?

hold2dibber
12-22-2004, 03:49 PM
How many more years is Rowand the exclusive property of the Sox? As long as next year isn't his walk year, I don't have any problem with the Sox making sure last year wasn't a fluke before opening the coffers with a long term deal. If next year is his walk year, KW's job is a little tougher -- I guess I'd try to lock him up to a 2 or 3 year deal, but you can't break the bank for a guy with just one solid year under his belt.

Jurr
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
If his price tag goes way up, we ship him off for some talent and bring up one of our 'stud' farm outfielders. It's a good situation to have.

CecilCooper
12-22-2004, 04:57 PM
The question to me is, how much is he worth?

He's had one good year and parts of 3 so-so ones.

He's young and as long as he doesn't drive a motorcycle over a cliff, will probably improve.

He has us over a barrel because of our shortage of OF power.

I say 3 years 10 mil, similar to Juan Uribe, with incentives that can push it up to 3/12-13.

BRDSR
12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
The question to me is, how much is he worth?

He's had one good year and parts of 3 so-so ones.

He's young and as long as he doesn't drive a motorcycle over a cliff, will probably improve.

He has us over a barrel because of our shortage of OF power.

I say 3 years 10 mil, similar to Juan Uribe, with incentives that can push it up to 3/12-13.
Not that i don't think he deserves 3 years 10 million(or that it would be a good move in the long run for the Sox), but if we commit 3 million to him next year I'm pretty sure we'd be out of luck with Eckstein. What do you think?

CecilCooper
12-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Not that i don't think he deserves 3 years 10 million(or that it would be a good move in the long run for the Sox), but if we commit 3 million to him next year I'm pretty sure we'd be out of luck with Eckstein. What do you think?
You're right, Rowand getting a raise probably will eat up whatever leftover money exists. El Duque takes about 4 mil of it, so we have 2 mil left to play with (plus a possible minor payroll increase).

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Sign Rowand NOW, or regret it later. It will be a BIG regret to let this guy go

cbrownson13
12-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Rowand is going to be a stud. And he's got great intangibles, hard working, hard playing, "grinder". He can hit, field decently, and run. I don't blame him for wanting a bigger contract than Uribe. I would love to lock him up (3-4 years, 4-5 mil per)

veeter
12-23-2004, 08:30 AM
The Sox are a prime example of familiarty breeding contempt. They jag around players from their own system ex.: Buehrle, now Rowand but roll out the red carpet for Uribe. I don't get it.

SoxFan76
12-23-2004, 10:38 AM
The Sox are a prime example of familiarty breeding contempt. They jag around players from their own system ex.: Buehrle, now Rowand but roll out the red carpet for Uribe. I don't get it.
Possibly because the Sox have alternate outfield plans waiting in the minors, while we have NO middle infield depth in the minors.

SoxxoS
12-23-2004, 10:40 AM
You think there is going to be a "no dirt-bike clause" ?:unsure: