PDA

View Full Version : Official! El Duque to the Sox!!!

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
El Duque signs!

It's official per Ofman on the Score.:supernana:

anewman35
Well, I think the Tribune is wrong. All the other reports I'm reading say it's a 2-year, $8 million deal with incentives up to $12 million...

I think people are just reading the Tribune's (admittedly misleading) line wrong. "Sources said the Sox had offered a guaranteed two-year contract heavily laden with incentives, believed to be worth as much as $4 million," could, and (based on other reports), probably does, mean INCENTIVES of as much as $4 million.

Over By There
Just found this on ESPN.com. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1927030)

Rather than summon up our usual supply of useless minutiae, this week we're ranking this year's free agents, in all sorts of fun categories:

STARTERS' ERA (MIN: 15 STARTS): Clemens 2.98, Pavano 3.00, Al Leiter 3.21, Odalis Perez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6088) 3.25, Wright 3.28, Orlando Hernandez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6019) 3.30, Glendon Rusch (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5764) 3.47.
The dude is definitely worth a shot, especially if the 2 yrs/4MM total figures are true. I just can't see how people object to this when you think of the other players we have rolled out as the 5th starter the last few years.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
For what reason did they trade for Esteban last year?Good point. :tongue:

John Barrett
12-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Time for another Mydol, John. The only person making an ass of himself with the gloom and doom negativity on this matter is Wealz. Instead you tar the whole lot of us, including people like myself who support the acquisition.

Grow up. You don't like what someone wrote? Quote them and back up why you think they're wrong. You're heading for the Roadhouse if you can't do any better than what you wrote here.
:cool:
drugs taken... my apologies to the lot.... except Wealz:whistle:

Lip Man 1
12-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Part of me is grateful that the Sox signed someone who is an upgrade over the cast of clowns they have trotted out for the 5th starter spot the past three years...

But I also can't help wondering why they couldn't or wouldn't go after someone who was younger and arguable better then Hernandez.

If they use the remaining money from the Lee deal (perhaps as much as two or three million?) and get an Eckstein or another bench player / catcher then perhaps it will be worth the risk.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
12-22-2004, 01:37 PM
We need somebody to post a *mainstream* news link to confirm this deal before we start a new thread about what it means for the Sox.

Thank you for your cooperation.
:cool:

santo=dorf
12-22-2004, 01:40 PM
What makes you categorize Hernandez as a 5th starter? He's pitched 347 innings over the last three years. Guaranteeing him $8M over 2 years wouldn't be very smart.
Have you seen the market for pitchers this year? :?:

zach074
12-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Is it official? I dont want to have to high of hopes again.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:42 PM
We need somebody to post a *mainstream* news link to confirm this deal before we start a new thread about what it means for the Sox.

Thank you for your cooperation.
:cool:The Score 670 just reported at 12:40 P.M. that it's a done deal pending a physical and that they are also interested in David Eckstein.

MLB.com also has a link to it on their main page...

Report: El Duque to sign with White Sox (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925074&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)

D. TODD
12-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Give KW some credit here, he did not panic and overpay for Clement type free agents. He has parlayed C.Lee (who will be missed) into three players so far. I am sure a middle infeilder or A.J. at catcher will follow making the total 4 quality players to offset the loss of C.Lee. It is a solid if not spactacular job of dealing within his budget.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Give KW some credit here, he did not panic and overpay for Clement type free agents. He has parlayed C.Lee (who will be missed) into three players so far. I am sure a middle infeilder or A.J. at catcher will follow making the total 4 quality players to offset the loss of C.Lee. It is a solid if not spactacular job of dealing within his budget.It's 4 players so far. Don't forget about the PTBNL minor league pitching prospect from the Brewers (Mitchel Stetter, I think). It could be 5 players if we sign Eckstein. :wink:

BRDSR
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
The Score 670 just reported at 12:40 P.M. that it's a done deal pending a physical
Is anyone else a little worried about this pending physical? I guess he was pitching at the end of the season so everything should look okay in that shoulder. But if he's healthy as of right now, I think this is a great move for the Sox.

DaveIsHere
12-22-2004, 02:03 PM
I thought the Score had said the physical was this morning, so it sounds like it is done

Foulke You
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I have to give a lot of credit to KW here. So far, he has gotten us a leadoff man who led the bigs in stolen bases (Pods), a solid veteran bullpen arm (Vizcaino), and a veteran playoff savvy starting pitcher (El Duque), and possibly another infielder (Cora or Eckstein) all for Carlos Lee. That is what I call getting quality return for a player.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:05 PM
I thought the Score had said the physical was this morning, so it sounds like it is doneYep, George Offman just reported that El Duque is now a member of the White Sox on the latest Score Update at 1:00 P.M.

DaveIsHere
12-22-2004, 02:05 PM
I have to give a lot of credit to KW here. So far, he has gotten us a leadoff man who led the bigs in stolen bases (Pods), a solid veteran bullpen arm (Vizcaino), and a veteran playoff savvy starting pitcher (El Duque), and possibly another infielder (Cora or Eckstein) all for Carlos Lee. That is what I call getting quality return for a player.You better watch what you say, some people around here are very sensitive when it comes to positive remarks about KW, but I agree 100%

DaveIsHere
12-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Yep, George Offman just reported that El Duque is now a member of the White Sox on the latest Score Update at 1:00 P.M.
AWESOME!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
12-22-2004, 02:09 PM
I have to give a lot of credit to KW here. So far, he has gotten us a leadoff man who led the bigs in stolen bases (Pods), a solid veteran bullpen arm (Vizcaino), and a veteran playoff savvy starting pitcher (El Duque), and possibly another infielder (Cora or Eckstein) all for Carlos Lee. That is what I call getting quality return for a player.

Im with you! I love it! :gulp:

CellBlockInmate
12-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Welcome the Duck of Death!

Randar68
12-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Have you seen the market for pitchers this year? :?:
How about the market for #3/4/5 pitchers like Matt Clement?

I still would prefer Lowe to Garland or Contreras, though, if they sign him and spin Garland off, I wouldn't be too upset, LOL!

mdep524
12-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Give KW some credit here, he did not panic and overpay for Clement type free agents. He has parlayed C.Lee (who will be missed) into three players so far. I am sure a middle infeilder or A.J. at catcher will follow making the total 4 quality players to offset the loss of C.Lee. It is a solid if not spactacular job of dealing within his budget.Though I am wary of this Hernandez signing to fill out the rotation, if.. IF... KW signs Eckstein and Pierzynski, this could be a formidable lineup:

Podsednik LF
Eckstein 2B
Thomas DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Rowand CF
Pierzynski C
Uribe SS
Crede 3B

With a pitching staff of
Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Contreras
Hernandez

You put a real number 3 pitcher on that staff (Vazquez, maybe?), and this might be a playoff team.

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Though I am wary of this Hernandez signing to fill out the rotation, if.. IF... KW signs Eckstein and Pierzynski, this could be a formidable lineup:

Unfortunately, Kenny has already said that he will not be signing AJ. :(:

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 02:16 PM
We have 5 starters!!!
:cheers: :gulp:I can't believe it.
I didn't want to believe it.
But now...I believe!

5 starters!

IT'S A FESTIVUS MIRACLE! :bandance: :cheers: :yup:

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 02:18 PM
I can't believe it.
But now...I believe!

5 starters!

We need a Frank Costanza tag with that on it.

Paulwny
Is anyone else a little worried about this pending physical? I guess he was pitching at the end of the season so everything should look okay in that shoulder. But if he's healthy as of right now, I think this is a great move for the Sox.
I guess his health along with his age are the big questions, therefore an incentive laden contract. Along with the shoulder problem, he has problems with his feet, corns, bunions, etc. These foot problems had many yankee players and some of the brass thinking that he was > 40yrs old. There isn't a reliable source to validate his age since his birth certificate is in Cuba.
If healthy, this maybe a nice signing.

Jabroni
We need a Frank Costanza tag with that on it.Gonna make one, hehe.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
We need a Frank Costanza tag with that on it.It's like you read my mind. Anyone who creates one becomes a FOBF. :cool:

TornLabrum
12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I can't believe it.
But now...I believe!

5 starters!

Let's just hope KW doesn't screw things up now by trading Garland for a position player.

My concern about Hernandez is that he had rotator cuff surgery last year and only pitched a little over 80 innings. He really needs to be the #3-4 (delpending on Contreras) guy and we need a lot more innings out of him than that. Plus he's 39 going on 72.

Nick@Nite
12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I guess his health along with his age are the big questions, therefore an incentive laden contract. Along with the shoulder problem, he has problems with his feet, corns, bunions, etc. These foot problems had many yankee players and some of the brass thinking that he was > 40yrs old. There isn't a reliable source to validate his age since his birth certificate is in Cuba.
If healthy, this maybe a nice signing.Here's hoping the whirlpool doesn't go on the fritz. :gulp:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:32 PM
We need a Frank Costanza tag with that on it.http://img75.exs.cx/img75/2937/festivus3wf.jpg

:)

surfdudes
12-22-2004, 02:33 PM
El Duque was 7-2 after July 1 last year when healthy.I like this so much more than overpaying for Clement. This puts Hermanson and Vizcaino in the bullpen with Damaso and Shingo,and I can now tell people that we actually have a pitching staff.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 02:35 PM
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/2937/festivus3wf.jpg

Beauty. Now I hope to hell this is all true. :o:

tstrike2000
12-22-2004, 02:40 PM
This is a solid pickup. Hopefully, he can stay healthy enough to be an impact pitcher. I think this is a good move on KW's part. 2b next? Or is KW going to turn around and trade El Duque again for Vazquez?

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
This is a solid pickup. Hopefully, he can stay healthy enough to be an impact pitcher. I think this is a good move on KW's part. 2b next? Or is KW going to turn around and trade El Duque again for Vazquez?I think you meant Garland for Vazquez. The answer is that nobody knows.

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 02:43 PM
SOX just signed him. Hope this thread helps with the confusion :smile:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:45 PM
"Report: El Duque to sign with Sox"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925074&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

The Score 670 is reporting that it's a done deal.

owensmouth
12-22-2004, 02:46 PM
He oughta be good for about 10 starts.

JoseCanseco6969
12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
SOX just signed him. Hope this thread helps with the confusion :smile:
where does it say it is official???

NSSoxFan2
12-22-2004, 02:48 PM
I don't know how I feel about this one boys and girls.:dunno:

Chisox003
12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Whitesox.com is reporting that its a done deal pending a physical...

I think this should be a good signing for the Sox, as long as he stays healthy which is obviously the biggest risk...The rotation sure looks a lot better with him in there over Grilli or Diaz...

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 03:02 PM
For Crying out loud ........ Can a Mod Change the name of this thread??
I started a "SOX SIGN EL DUQUE" thread, but it was deleted, and
everyone has no idea hes signed (per am1000, am670 and whitesox.com)

soxfan26
12-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Whitesox.com is reporting that its a done deal pending a physical...

I think this should be a good signing for the Sox, as long as he stays healthy which is obviously the biggest risk...The rotation sure looks a lot better with him in there over Grilli or Diaz...
You should add AJ to your wishlist since he hasn't been signed yet. But then beware the wrath of the folks who think you may jinx the Sox chances at picking them up. :cool:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Here's the Miami Herald article...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/baseball/10472238.htm?1c
White Sox: Former Yankee Orlando ''El Duque'' Hernandez agreed to a two-year, $8 million deal, the pitcher's agent said, pending a physical scheduled for today. With incentives, the Cuban defector could earn as much as $12 million.

batmanZoSo
12-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Just found this on ESPN.com. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1927030)

The dude is definitely worth a shot, especially if the 2 yrs/4MM total figures are true. I just can't see how people object to this when you think of the other players we have rolled out as the 5th starter the last few years.
Right...the last few years in September, looking back we all said "man I'd kill to have just had one more starter that's just decent." Hernandez if healthy will be more than that. Probably 13-9 or something.

fquaye149
Beauty. Now I hope to hell this is all true. :o:
Oh it is - My cousin was talking to Kenny Williams in a chat room and KW said:

"A/S/L, btw we signed El Duque"

Baines2Raines
So are people finally happy the White Sox got their 5th starter? I hope not. We signed a 40 year old guy with a bad shoulder who won a lot of games because the Yankees scored so many runs for him. (If you think he's 35-36, then I would like to sell you some land) Not a good signing IMO.

OEO Magglio
12-22-2004, 03:21 PM
So are people finally happy the White Sox got their 5th starter? I hope not. We signed a 40 year old guy with a bad shoulder who won a lot of games because the Yankees scored so many runs for him. (If you think he's 35-36, then I would like to sell you some land) Not a good signing IMO.
:?: He had a 3.30 era last year, that's why he won the majority of his starts not because of the offense.

Mickster
12-22-2004, 03:22 PM
I love how the Yankees scoring runs for him magically lowers his ERA to just over 3. Ahhhh.....the magic of Yankee Stadium.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 03:23 PM
So are people finally happy the White Sox got their 5th starter? I hope not. We signed a 40 year old guy with a bad shoulder who won a lot of games because the Yankees scored so many runs for him. (If you think he's 35-36, then I would like to sell you some land) Not a good signing IMO.Ummm... WRONG!!!

El Duque's career ERA is 3.96 (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=133340&statType=2) and he has pitched all of his games in the A.L. That is excellent. :rolleyes:

Jurr
12-22-2004, 03:34 PM
The contract is four million per, which could get up to 8 mil, if he hits his incentives. If he does hit those incentives, then we'll be VERY happy with 8 million for a great pitcher.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 03:36 PM
The contract is four million per, which could get up to 8 mil, if he hits his incentives. If he does hit those incentives, then we'll be VERY happy with 8 million for a great pitcher.No. It's a 2-year, $8 million contract that can reach up to $12 million with incentives. :wink:

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 03:41 PM
I love how the Yankees scoring runs for him magically lowers his ERA to just over 3. Ahhhh.....the magic of Yankee Stadium.

It must be the aura of Monument Park!

soltrain21
12-22-2004, 03:43 PM
This is a great signig.

I jsiut got back form having my stomach scoped, and the meds haven't warn off. Im glad for teh good news.

Go Sox :bandance:

MRKARNO
12-22-2004, 03:48 PM
No. It's a 2-year, $8 million contract that can reach up to $12 million with incentives. :wink:
I dont think this has been made clear yet. I've seen both reported

Risk
12-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Finally, we have a 5 man starting rotation.:gulp:

Best. Christmas. Ever.

Risk

MisterB
12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/2937/festivus3wf.jpg

Although I think the airing of greivances will wait until SoxFest...

Brian26
12-22-2004, 03:58 PM

Haha. Love it. That's sabermatics!!!

MUsoxfan
12-22-2004, 03:59 PM

This is the same guy that would complain if we had M. Ramirez, Beltran, Ichiro, A.Rod, Michael Young, Soriano, Todd Helton, and Ivan Rodriguez as our position players with Santana, Schilling, Garcia, Clemens, and Pavano as our starting 5 and Gagne closing.

Who would YOU have signed B2R?

SoxxoS
12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Worst post in thread award. :dtroll:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Worst post in thread award. :dtroll:I'm pretty sure that Mariotti is posting here and his user name is Baines2Raines. :tongue:

veeter
12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Picking up a veteran, especially one with post-season experiance is huge. Yes he was hurt in the past but he must pass the physical. If he passes, it's a great addition. I'll go out on a limb and say if he stays healthy he'll win as many games as Clement.

twsoxfan5
12-22-2004, 04:34 PM
This is my first post and I am glad I was patient. I think Kenny is doing a great job with the budget that he has to work. We lost one great player for 4 good players, so far, and I have to say I'm pleased.

CecilCooper
12-22-2004, 04:36 PM
I like the signing because it does not create another hole in the lineup or rotation.

I second the emotion as far as trying to sign Eckstein (like him better than Cora.)

Oh yes, also, welcome me and be gentle. :smile:

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 04:37 PM
This is my first post and I am glad I was patient. I think Kenny is doing a great job with the budget that he has to work. We lost one great player for 4 good players, so far, and I have to say I'm pleased. :welcome: Welcome aboard! Most of us are pleased too (barring the usual doomsday prophets).

Baby Fisk
12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I like the signing because it does not create another hole in the lineup or rotation.

I second the emotion as far as trying to sign Eckstein (like him better than Cora.)

Oh yes, also, welcome me and be gentle. :smile::welcome: Wow. A mini-avalanche of newcomers. Maybe Kenny's doing something right after all? :o:

Nick@Nite
12-22-2004, 04:39 PM

Oh yes, also, welcome me and be gentle. :smile:
:welcome:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
This is my first post and I am glad I was patient. I think Kenny is doing a great job with the budget that he has to work. We lost one great player for 4 good players, so far, and I have to say I'm pleased.It may turn out to be 5 good players if KW signs David Eckstein! :bandance:

Corlose 15
12-22-2004, 05:24 PM
I think this is a pretty good signing, if he can stay healthy it'll be great. Thats the key(everyone else has already said this, but I like to make myself sound smart).

BTW, nobody ever put out those welcome aboard signs when I joined WSI.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Palehose13
12-22-2004, 05:55 PM
This is awesome! I can't believe that there are people not happy with the signing...oh wait, yes I can.

http://www.dvdreleaselist.com/images/capture_goldmember04.jpg

"Well, there is no pleasing you then..."

Anyway, Hernandez is much, much better than Grilli/Schoe/Diaz. A rotation of Burly-mon, Garcia, El Duque, Contreras, and Garland is very, very good.

And for those that thoguth KW wasn't going to use the money saved from trading CLee: :neener:

By trading CLee, the Sox have gotten Pods, Vizcaino, PTBNL, El Duque and possibly another player. I like the direction that KW is taking this team.

fquaye149
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
This is awesome! I can't believe that there are people not happy with the signing...oh wait, yes I can.

http://www.dvdreleaselist.com/images/capture_goldmember04.jpg

"Well, there is no pleasing you then..."

Anyway, Hernandez is much, much better than Grilli/Schoe/Diaz. A rotation of Burly-mon, Garcia, El Duque, Contreras, and Garland is very, very good.

And for those that thoguth KW wasn't going to use the money saved from trading CLee: :neener:

By trading CLee, the Sox have gotten Pods, Vizcaino, PTBNL, El Duque and possibly another player. I like the direction that KW is taking this team.

don't you understand - we should have got wade miller, and I will tell you about that in great deal in october assuming el duque had gotten hurt, and miller managed to stay healthy. Or failing that, I will find the one pitcher this offseason who didn't fizz out (hint: it won't be pavano or wright) and tell you how we should have signed them.

And I will be immutably right, because I am a sox fan blessed with the awesome power of secondguessing and operating theoretically with no regard for making a profit in a sport where few teams are profitable.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 06:03 PM
don't you understand - we should have got wade miller, and I will tell you about that in great deal in october assuming el duque had gotten hurt, and miller managed to stay healthy. Or failing that, I will find the one pitcher this offseason who didn't fizz out (hint: it won't be pavano or wright) and tell you how we should have signed them.

And I will be immutably right, because I am a sox fan blessed with the awesome power of secondguessing and operating theoretically with no regard for making a profit in a sport where few teams are profitable.:)

Palehose13
12-22-2004, 06:07 PM

And I will be immutably right, because I am a sox fan blessed with the awesome power of secondguessing and operating theoretically with no regard for making a profit in a sport where few teams are profitable.
Did you forget the teal?

fquaye149
12-22-2004, 06:26 PM
^^nah i meant it all:redneck

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 06:29 PM
It's finally official...

"El Duque joins White Sox with two-year deal"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925247&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a two-year, $8-million contract plus incentives with right-handed pitcher Orlando Hernandez. Under terms of the contract, Hernandez will receive $3.5 million in 2005 and $4.5 million in 2006."Orlando is a great addition to our starting rotation," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "He is a proven winner with a history of pitching well in big games, especially when you look at his postseason record. With Hernandez, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia and Jon Garland in the rotation, we believe we have five quality starters who can match up with any team in the league."So we are paying him a little bit less this year. That should free up a little more money for Eckstein! :thumbsup:

soxwon
12-22-2004, 06:36 PM
feel the latino "heat"

EL DUQUE-FREDDY GARCIA-JOSE CONTRERAS
"THE CUBEZUELEAN CONNECTION"
VIVA LAS WHITE SOX!!!

Baines2Raines
12-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Worst post in thread award. :dtroll:
No only your posts are up for that award. Here are his stats. Notice the more innnings he pitches the higher his ERA is? Umm duh. Don't jump on the THis was a bad signing in July when El Do nothing is either on the DL or has an era over 5.

1998 32 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1998.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1998.shtml) 12 4 21 21 3 1 0 0 141.0 113 53 49 11 52 131 6 5 574 3.13 4.47 143
1999 33 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1999.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1999.shtml) 17 9 33 33 2 1 0 0 214.3 187 108 98 24 87 157 8 4 910 4.12 4.48 109
2000 34 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2000.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2000.shtml) 12 13 29 29 3 0 0 0 195.7 186 104 98 34 51 141 6 1 820 4.51 5.07 112
2001 35 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2001.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2001.shtml) 4 7 17 16 0 0 0 0 94.7 90 51 51 19 42 77 5 0 414 4.85 4.48 92
2002 36 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2002.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2002.shtml) 8 5 24 22 0 0 1 1 146.0 131 63 59 17 36 113 8 8 606 3.64 4.38 120
2004 38 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2004.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2004.shtml) 8 2 15 15 0 0 0 0 84.7 73 31 31 9 36 84 5 3 359 3.30 4.50 136
+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+

BRDSR
12-22-2004, 06:38 PM
He also has pitched in 17 postseason games (14 starts), going 9-3 with a 2.65 ERA (30 ER/102.0 IP) and 101 strikeouts. Hernandez is the only pitcher in Major League history to win his first eight postseason decisions.

Although not worth a whole heck of a lot, that is really impressive.

soxwon
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
No only your posts are up for that award. Here are his stats. Notice the more innnings he pitches the higher his ERA is? Umm duh. Don't jump on the THis was a bad signing in July when El Do nothing is either on the DL or has an era over 5.

1998 32 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1998.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1998.shtml) 12 4 21 21 3 1 0 0 141.0 113 53 49 11 52 131 6 5 574 3.13 4.47 143
1999 33 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1999.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1999.shtml) 17 9 33 33 2 1 0 0 214.3 187 108 98 24 87 157 8 4 910 4.12 4.48 109
2000 34 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2000.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2000.shtml) 12 13 29 29 3 0 0 0 195.7 186 104 98 34 51 141 6 1 820 4.51 5.07 112
2001 35 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2001.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2001.shtml) 4 7 17 16 0 0 0 0 94.7 90 51 51 19 42 77 5 0 414 4.85 4.48 92
2002 36 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2002.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2002.shtml) 8 5 24 22 0 0 1 1 146.0 131 63 59 17 36 113 8 8 606 3.64 4.38 120
2004 38 NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2004.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2004.shtml) 8 2 15 15 0 0 0 0 84.7 73 31 31 9 36 84 5 3 359 3.30 4.50 136
+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+

BAINES- BE QUIET!!!
THIS WAS A GREAT MOVE, SOX HAVE 5 OF BASEBALLS TOP PITCHERS NOW.
A PENNANT CLINCHER
THANK YOU KW.

johnny_mostil
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
You put a real number 3 pitcher on that staff (Vazquez, maybe?), and this might be a playoff team.
In the AL Central it probably is anyway...

fquaye149
12-22-2004, 06:42 PM

What about the fact that he has never posted an ERA above 5 suggest that he will post an ERA above 5?... I can see DL perhaps...

A. Cavatica
12-22-2004, 06:47 PM
THIS WAS A GREAT MOVE, SOX HAVE 5 OF BASEBALLS TOP PITCHERS NOW.
A PENNANT CLINCHER
Look, I like the signing, but you must be on crack if you this is a pennant clinching move.

5 of baseball's top pitchers? Maybe 5 of baseball's top 100 pitchers. We only have 2 top pitchers in my book, and they're low in the top 25.

Pennant clinching move? The pitching staff looks respectable again, but we still have no legitimate regular at C, 2B, or 3B, and we can't exactly count on stellar years from Podsednik, Uribe, or Thomas (given his injury).

SoupAppling
12-22-2004, 06:50 PM
What about the fact that he has never posted an ERA above 5 suggest that he will post an ERA above 5?... I can see DL perhaps...Long time listener, first time caller.

I like the signing, not convinced he'll go through the year injury free but he's fun to watch pitch.

I can't wait to see El Duque with Shingo coming in to close. There will be a lot of slow junk thrown that day.

voodoochile
12-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Very solid pickup. I love the incentive laden contract - if he earns the extra $4M everyone will be really happy with his performance.

Good job KW. Now get us one more decent bat for any of the potential holes...

idseer
12-22-2004, 06:58 PM
i'm not a doomsayer, but i'm also not convinced. he's averaged slightly over 100 innings the past 3 seasons and he just keeps getting older.
it's probably a given that if he stays healthy he's a great addition. if he's out 2/3's of the year then it's not money well spent. anyone can get injured, but some are way more prone and that describes hernandez.

i still see 2 solid starters on this team and 3 question marks. at least they spent some money trying and i'd say kw is doing all he can.

on another note. isn't it amazing how fast the face of this team has changed? it should be a very interesting year.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Very solid pickup. I love the incentive laden contract - if he earns the extra $4M everyone will be really happy with his performance.

Good job KW. Now get us one more decent bat for any of the potential holes...Holes: Utility Infielder, Catcher
Available Solutions: David Eckstein, Alex Cora, and A.J. Pierzynski

KW said he wasn't going to sign Pierzynski so that leaves us the option to get another infielder. Hopefully, it's Eckstein. I don't think Cora is that much of an improvement over Willie, if at all.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
i'm not a doomsayer, but i'm also not convinced. he's averaged slightly over 100 innings the past 3 seasons and he just keeps getting older.
it's probably a given that if he stays healthy he's a great addition. if he's out 2/3's of the year then it's not money well spent. anyone can get injured, but some are way more prone and that describes hernandez.

i still see 2 solid starters on this team and 3 question marks. at least they spent some money trying and i'd say kw is doing all he can.

on another note. isn't it amazing how fast the face of this team has changed? it should be a very interesting year.Who should KW have signed instead, in your opinion? Just curious.

Palehose13
12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Quick little story...so, I'm walking aroung the house being obnoxious and annoying (as usual) saying "El Duquuueeee" in a gruff voice and my girlfriend looks at me and says "dookie"?

:?:

"No, honey." :cool:

idseer
12-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Who should KW have signed instead? Just curious.
i don't know that he could have signed anyone else. i'm sure he tried to tho.
i come down on the side that's happy with this signing ... i'm just not convinced it'll work. we shall see.

batmanZoSo
12-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Quick little story...so, I'm walking aroung the house being obnoxious and annoying (as usual) saying "El Duquuueeee" in a gruff voice and my girlfriend looks at me and says "dookie"?

:?:

"No, honey." :cool:
I smell a sitcom! :cool:

NardiWasHere
12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Lets say we trade away Garland in a package for Javier Vasquez now.... how much better is our rotation?

I can't wait to see that big exagerated leg kick this summer in the Cell!

Palehose13
12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I smell a sitcom! :cool:
With my family and girlfriend it is a distinct possibility. Those who were at the Xmas gathering saw a small glimpse of it.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 07:09 PM
i come down on the side that's happy with this signing ... i'm just not convinced it'll work. we shall see.Let's just hope he can stay healthy. If he's healthy, he's a #3 starting pitcher.

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Its now official per whitesox.com

Anyone know what number el duque plans on being here?

idseer
12-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Lets say we trade away Garland in a package for Javier Vasquez now.... how much better is our rotation?

I can't wait to see that big exagerated leg kick this summer in the Cell!
let's say we don't. unless it's an even trade, we'd have to give up something else and in case you haven't noticed we have precious little to give.

garland is as fine a 5th starter as there is in the game.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 07:31 PM
let's say we don't. unless it's an even trade, we'd have to give up something else and in case you haven't noticed we have precious little to give.

garland is as fine a 5th starter as there is in the game.Agreed. It would have to be Garland + prospect(s) for Vazquez to help them get RJ. Unless we got alot of cash from the Yankees in the deal, it wouldn't be worth it.

santo=dorf
12-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Its now official per whitesox.com

Anyone know what number el duque plans on being here?My number. :cool:

He'll have to pry it from Ross Gload, and it would become even more interested if we were to sign AJ too.

(26) in case you haven't figured it out yet.

NardiWasHere
12-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Just throwing the idea out there. I don't mind Big Jon in the 5 hole... or you could put El Duque in the 5 spot to conserve his innings... Regardless, you still have 5 quality guys starting games day in-day out:bandance:

Foulke You
12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Don't know if someone posted this or not, but in the Kenny Williams conference call when asked where KW envisions "El Duque" in the Sox rotation, he said that he felt that he should be a solid #3 guy in our rotation. He also went on to say that Herm Schneider and the team's doctors gave him the best glowing report he has ever gotten from a free agent to be. KW said that El Duque was next on their list after Clement and that it many ways he feels more comfortable about bringing in a guy who has had success in the AL than a guy who is unproven in this league. He then made a light hearted comment about the last time he tried to bring in an NL guy (Todd Ritchie) it didn't work out too well. You can listen to the whole conference call at www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Don't know if someone posted this or not, but in the Kenny Williams conference call when asked where KW envisions "El Duque" in the Sox rotation, he said that he felt that he should be a solid #3 guy in our rotation. He also went on to say that Herm Schneider and the team's doctors gave him the best glowing report he has ever gotten from a free agent to be. KW said that El Duque was next on their list after Clement and that it many ways he feels more comfortable about bringing in a guy who has had success in the AL than a guy who is unproven in this league. He then made a light hearted comment about the last time he tried to bring in an NL guy (Todd Ritchie) it didn't work out too well. You can listen to the whole conference call at www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 07:48 PM
My number. :cool:

He'll have to pry it from Ross Gload, and it would become even more interested if we were to sign AJ too.

(26) in case you haven't figured it out yet.

26 is my number as well. I think el duque is far more deserving of it than Gload.

He's no Nossek, but I'll take it.

hosieryofthegods
12-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Welcome El Duckwee. I am really happy about this signing. He made 15 starts at the end of the year, and went 8-2 right after his surgery and rehab. I think he'll do ok:D: .

Soxzilla
12-22-2004, 07:56 PM
El Duque has the best leg kick of any major league pitcher.:cool: I totally just remembered that.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 08:08 PM
El Duque has the best leg kick of any major league pitcher.:cool: I totally just remembered that.He also uses all sorts of arm angles on his pitches to confuse batters. :wink:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 08:24 PM
According to the conference call with KW, El Duque's incentives include making the All-Star Game and winning the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

whitesoxfan444
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has pics of viscanio dye and hermanson in whitesox uniform. If you can get me this thank you.

MeanFish
12-22-2004, 08:28 PM
According to the conference call with KW, El Duque's incentives include making the All-Star Game and winning the Comeback Player of the Year Award.
Now watch him get snubbed for an all-star appearance because he's no longer in the AL East. If that happened, would you give him the incentive pay anyway?

MeanFish
12-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh yeah, btw...

:tomatoaward

A. Cavatica
12-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Now watch him get snubbed for an all-star appearance because he's no longer in the AL East.
The All-Star team this year will have one Yankee and a whole lot of Red Sox.

whitesoxfan444
12-22-2004, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone them in whitesox uniform and could you post them thank you.

flo-B-flo
12-22-2004, 08:42 PM
i come down on the side that's happy with this signing ... i'm just not convinced it'll work. we shall see. I too am not convinced. However, your right spring training is gonna be VERY interesting. As of forever, no one has won a WS in December. Gotta see it before Any of us can make a call either way. It was time for a big time change.

California Sox
12-22-2004, 09:15 PM
He oughta be good for about 10 starts.
That's approximately ten starts where we don't half to watch Jason Grilli "pitch". I'd say that's worth 8 million right there.

EvilJester99
12-22-2004, 09:19 PM
KW on the physical of El Duque...looks to be good news!!

"I got the best report on a physical that I've ever received since I've been sitting in this chair," said Williams of Hernandez. "(Trainer) Herm (Schneider) and our doctors feel this guy has a great upside, with strength in his elbow and shoulder.
"The wear and tear is not indicative of a Major League pitcher. The MRI and X-rays are as solid as we have had in a long time. It's just more reason for optimism."
"This is definitely part of our overall plan and thinking," added Williams of following up the Lee trade with the Hernandez signing. "There was never any intention of stopping with the first part of it.
"We could have been shut out in our efforts to go after a starting pitcher we were comfortable with as the second part of the plan. But it doesn't mean the plan was faulty. It would have evolved as the season went on."
"For us, it was going to begin and end with pitching," Williams said of the re-making of the White Sox. "We entertained some other things along the way, bigger names out there, for lack of a better word. But we feel really good from where we sit from 1 to 12, and if we have to dig deeper, from 1 to 13, 14 or 15.

batmanZoSo
12-22-2004, 09:34 PM
26 is my number as well. I think el duque is far more deserving of it than Gload.

He's no Nossek, but I'll take it.
http://www.wwlp.com/news/segments/sybersy/thefan.jpg
Wha...who is this Gload guy, is he givin' you problems? Twenty-six is yours, it's your birthright. You want me to get you that number? Just say the words...

MHOUSE
12-22-2004, 09:37 PM
I am thrilled that we grabbed El Duque and are giving him a shot. Theoretically he only has to win a couple of games to be better than our fifth starters the past few years, but I think if he can stay healthy then he could get double-digit wins like 12-7 or 13-9. That would be awesome. IMO our rotation stacks up against any in the American league. Pavano and Clement are unproven in the AL and I never wanted to overpay for them. We're much better off signing a hit-or-miss guy to a reasonable contract and hoping for the best.

Kudos to KW for spinning off CLee to fill the holes in our team. I was never too high on trading the farm to get RJ or doing anything that created more holes in the team like we have in the past. This was a very Beane-esque move by using one trade to fix a lot and working within the budget. Maybe KW is learning something. Keep it up and sign Eckstein. Go SOX!

mikef1331
12-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen we now have a soild pitching staff! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Chisox003
12-22-2004, 10:03 PM
2004 Opening Day Rotation- Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Schoe, WRIGHT.....

2005-Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, El Duque, Garland + A SOLID Pen

I like the signing, and it makes the rotation look a whole lot better, and possibly the best in the AL....If Hernandez stays healthy and IF Garland and Contreras pitch to their potential...What a rotation

Go get Eckstein!!

Clarkowski
12-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Agreed.....just put things into perspective: We would have been pretty damn happy to have someone go 6-10 with a 5.50 ERA last year as our fifth starter. I'm gonna guess Hernandez can handle that.

P.S. Happy 22 and 5/6 birthday to me!

soxwon
12-22-2004, 10:55 PM
viva los cubenzuela connection!!!

Corlose 15
12-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Just a couple of notes on the trade IMO.

1. I tend to trust Herm Schneider, and if this is the best physical of a FA in KW's tenure then I think El Duque should be ok.

2. It also says in the conference call that El Duque was the one who insisted on the incentives in the contract like "comeback poty" and the All-Star Game. It makes me think that he's ready to go and really wants to prove some things.

I say good job by KW and I'm a whole lot more optimistic now for '05 than I was at the end of '04.

:gulp:

nodiggity59
12-23-2004, 12:25 AM
KW has focused on personality/gamerness lately:

Takatsu
Dye
Pods
Duque
Jurassic Carl

beckett21
12-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I love it.

:thumbsup:

Nellie_Fox
12-23-2004, 01:38 AM

Oh yes, also, welcome me and be gentle. :smile:You can't come on here with the screen name CecilCooper and ask people to be gentle. Wasn't he the one who claimed his necklace was made out of second basemen's teeth?

gosox3072
12-23-2004, 02:01 AM
Hernadez >grilli

I like it.....now lets sign eckstien!!!!

MUsoxfan
12-23-2004, 03:45 AM
Agreed. And I love it when they prove my point for me. Back to the topic at hand.

I like the acquisition. The main reason I like it is b/c I am in White Sox mindset, meaning we don't have the money to make a play for the sure thing. Is it possible that Orlando could get hurt in April and be a bust? Yep. Is it possible he pitches only 125 innings this year? Yup. But in order to win, we need to take risks. I think this risk is definitely worth taking. In fact, I am happy he was shut down last year b/c it essentially gave him more time to rest. He showed that he could be nasty for, I think it was 8 starts, in a row. I really think he could give us a solid year.

I also like the way the pitching staff is looking. Yea it'd be nice to havr RJ, FG, and MB. But again, we need to be realistic. We've got 5 guys that on any given night can shut a team down. Obviously it's less likely JG does that, but he has done it before. I also like how the staff is diverse. We don't have 4 guys who all throw heat. We have gusy who work the plate, guys who go for strikeouts, and guys who let the opposing team put the ball in play. Not to mention a bullpen that should be quite effective. I'm happy with the team as is. If we make another addition (middle infield), that could be a good move. I am not sure about Eck. One minute I like him, the next I am so-so on him. But in the end, him being a gamer and the type of guy we want our whole team to be, I think it'd be a good move.
I agree completely

OurBitchinMinny
12-23-2004, 03:45 AM
Hernadez >grilli

I like it.....now lets sign eckstien!!!!

my grandma > grilli...not a bad move...now lets not ruin it by trading PK and garland for vazquez. Way too much. Garland and a prospect at most. PK should not be traded. Who the hell will hit?

OurBitchinMinny
12-23-2004, 03:46 AM
lets keep in mind that garland is still young. And he has all the tools and he is relatively cheap. Give him another year. Same with crede

ilsox7
12-23-2004, 03:50 AM
lets keep in mind that garland is still young. And he has all the tools and he is relatively cheap. Give him another year. Same with crede
Yea, JG was in my garden the other day. He had the backhoe out, the rake, AND the shovel. Man, talk about having all the tools!

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 03:56 AM
lets keep in mind that garland is still young. And he has all the tools and he is relatively cheap. Give him another year. Same with credeAre you sure you didn't mean to say that Garland IS a tool?

Those "tools" you say that Garland has definately don't include having a head for the game.

Kilroy
12-23-2004, 12:36 PM
El Duque signs!

It's official per Ofman on the Score.

Does this mean I have to stop calling him EL Puque??

Dadawg_77
12-23-2004, 07:27 PM
This may come as shock to some, but I like this deal. I think that there is a high probability El Duque will be the best pitcher on the Sox next year. This could go down as Kenny's best move if El Duque stays healthy.

beckett21
12-23-2004, 07:29 PM
This may come as shock to some, but I like this deal. :thud:

chisox77
12-26-2004, 09:44 PM
The rotation is a lot better, no doubt. Hernandez, Contreras, and Garland are solid #5's - which may be enough for Sox to squeeze a few more wins with the added pitching, as opposed to "slugging over" mistakes for bad pitching and winning about 84 games a year.

Though the power in the lineup is down, the Sox should at least win as many games with the pitching, and the improved defense, even without getting Eckstein (because Uribe at SS is solid defensive upgrade over Valentin). So let's see, Chisox lineup is this as of now:

Projected Stats For 05

CF - Pods: 12(HR), 55 (RBI), .270
2B - Harris: 4, 45, .272
SS - Uribe: 25, 85, .288
1B - Konerko: 37, 115, .292
DH - Everett (until Frank returns): 11, 47, .266
Thomas: (four months stats): 25, 80, .271
RF - Dye: 30, 104, .276
LF - Rowand: 24, 70, .287
3B - Crede: 21, 77, .250
C - Davis: 13, 40, .229

Many of these are "conservative" estimates. In others words, the Sox offense could be better than most people think. It could be an interesting season, though an offensive upgrade at catcher would be welcome. KW may be able to pull something off.

"There's No Better Place To Watch A Baseball Game Than The Cell"