PDA

View Full Version : Would the Angels unload Washburn?

Mohoney
12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
If the Angels sign Odalis Perez or Eric Milton, would they deal Jarrod Washburn to make room in their rotation? Would they deal John Lackey?

batmanZoSo
12-22-2004, 11:17 AM
If the Angels sign Odalis Perez or Eric Milton, would they deal Jarrod Washburn to make room in their rotation? Would they deal John Lackey?
Washburn is like Buehrle, even throws like him and wears the same number, only he's much much crappier. He was outstanding in 2002, but now he seems like a guy that could only win on a really good offensive team. We may have some firepower, but I think it's safe to say we've proven to be unable to get "just enough" to win on a consistent basis.

Maybe he's a last resort guy that we can pin our hopes on. One of those "maybe he'll turn it around with us" kind of guys. But for now I hope we can do a lot better.

Mohoney
12-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Washburn is like Buehrle, even throws like him and wears the same number, only he's much much crappier. He was outstanding in 2002, but now he seems like a guy that could only win on a really good offensive team. We may have some firepower, but I think it's safe to say we've proven to be unable to get "just enough" to win on a consistent basis.

Maybe he's a last resort guy that we can pin our hopes on. One of those "maybe he'll turn it around with us" kind of guys. But for now I hope we can do a lot better.
I'm just looking at him as a fallback option If we can't get Eckstein or Cora.

We can probably get Baltimore, who needs pitching in the worst way and has a surplus at 2B, to give us Brian Roberts and a throw-in in exchange for Garland to fill that need in the middle infield, and we can probably get Washburn for a package of lesser prospects, considering that the Angels were willing to give up Ramon Ortiz and not get any Major Leaguers in return.

I would MUCH rather sign Eckstein or Cora and trade Garland and prospects for Javier Vazquez, but if that doesn't materialize, I'm willing to go this route, too.

Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Washburn
El Duque

Brian Roberts in the #2 hole

MRKARNO
12-22-2004, 12:29 PM
I think they spent that money already on Orlando Cabrera.

MisterB
12-22-2004, 01:52 PM
We can probably get Baltimore, who needs pitching in the worst way and has a surplus at 2B, to give us Brian Roberts and a throw-in in exchange for Garland to fill that need in the middle infield, and we can probably get Washburn for a package of lesser prospects, considering that the Angels were willing to give up Ramon Ortiz and not get any Major Leaguers in return.
The O's aren't going to move Roberts. They'd move Hairston first because Roberts is younger, cheaper, less of an injury risk, and only a couple of steps behind Hairston offensively.