PDA

View Full Version : Spring Surprises?

LASOXFAN
12-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Just got my spring training ticket info in the mail today and what do you know? The first hint of optimism appeared through the fog of cynicism.

That said, I have to believe there's going to be a surprise this spring from the minor leagues. With the new emphasis on speed I have to put Brian Anderson at the top of the list to make a splash. He looked fantastic last year in Tucson - a spark in the lineup any time he got a chance to play.

Some others to consider...
Josh Fields
Kris Honel
Bobby Smith
Wilson Valdez
Rudy Yan
Ryan Sweeney

Anyone I'm forgetting? Would be nice to see some impact from the minors...not the Borchard kind either.

MRKARNO
12-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Brandon McCarthy could post some nice ST numbers, but I dont want to see him make the team unless he's really ready. He needs some time at Charlotte. We've seen too many pitching prospects rushed to the rotation and only one has really worked out in a very good way in the past few years (Buehrle).

Man Soo Lee
12-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Brandon McCarthy could post some nice ST numbers, but I dont want to see him make the team unless he's really ready. He needs some time at Charlotte.
McCarthy only had 8 starts in high A and 4 in AA. Some more time in Birmingham might not be a bad idea.

California Sox
12-22-2004, 12:47 AM
I have a good feeling about Rogo. In that light air, i think the big man will have himself a nice ST.

NonetheLoaiza
12-22-2004, 03:38 AM
I have a good feeling about Rogo. In that light air, i think the big man will have himself a nice ST.
I was gonna say, I am looking forward to seeing what he can do this spring. Hopefully he puts up some good numbers and we get him into AAA.

Kogs35
12-22-2004, 09:14 AM
dont forget about pedro lopez

SoxxoS
12-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Someone has to back me up, but I don't think Ruddy Yan is on the team anymore...

SoxxoS
12-22-2004, 10:12 AM
McCarthy only had 8 starts in high A and 4 in AA. Some more time in Birmingham might not be a bad idea.
Why? Rushing pitchers has done nothing but good for us. Matter of fact, why doesn't Gio Gonzalez get the green light to spring training?

RKMeibalane
12-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Someone has to back me up, but I don't think Ruddy Yan is on the team anymore...
Yan is listed on the Barons' roster. As far as I know, he will still be around once ST starts.

Kogs35
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
hes not on the 40 man.

Fungo
12-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Someone has to back me up, but I don't think Ruddy Yan is on the team anymore...Texas picked him up off waivers back in November

benjamin
12-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Just got my spring training ticket info in the mail today and what do you know? The first hint of optimism appeared through the fog of cynicism.

That said, I have to believe there's going to be a surprise this spring from the minor leagues. With the new emphasis on speed I have to put Brian Anderson at the top of the list to make a splash. He looked fantastic last year in Tucson - a spark in the lineup any time he got a chance to play.

Some others to consider...
Josh Fields
Kris Honel
Bobby Smith
Wilson Valdez
Rudy Yan
Ryan Sweeney

Anyone I'm forgetting? Would be nice to see some impact from the minors...not the Borchard kind either.Yan is with Texas.
Bobby Smith was a sixth-year free agent, and the chances of him being back are slim and none. Not that it is any loss. He's Triple-A fodder.

The players who could break out and be a longshot to help at the Major league levels could come from this group:
Brandon McCarthy
Felix Diaz
Arnie Munoz
Brian Anderson
Casey Rogowski
Mike Spidale

So many people have written off Munoz and Diaz, with good reason, but this is when some young players find it within themselves to sack up and play balls out. More than likely McCarthy and Rogo will start out at Double-A with the others giving it a go at Charlotte to start the season. McCarthy will finally be the guy that everyone hoped the last 25 or so 'Top Pitching Prospects' would turn out to be.

Younger guys with far better upside than all but McCarthy and Anderson:
Ryan Sweeney
Josh Fields
Thomas Brice
Antoin Gray
Gio Gonzalez
Tyler Lumsden
Wes Whisler
Sean Tracey

High A or Double-A for these guys, but definitely some talent that could surely turn a few heads during the spring. Lumsden didn't throw much after being drafted last year, but he was used often in college and after finally getting a chance to rest and restrengthen would not surprise me with a dominant year.

Kogs35
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Yan is with Texas.
Bobby Smith was a sixth-year free agent, and the chances of him being back are slim and none. Not that it is any loss. He's Triple-A fodder.

The players who could break out and be a longshot to help at the Major league levels could come from this group:
Brandon McCarthy
Felix Diaz
Arnie Munoz
Brian Anderson
Casey Rogowski
Mike Spidale

So many people have written off Munoz and Diaz, with good reason, but this is when some young players find it within themselves to sack up and play balls out. More than likely McCarthy and Rogo will start out at Double-A with the others giving it a go at Charlotte to start the season. McCarthy will finally be the guy that everyone hoped the last 25 or so 'Top Pitching Prospects' would turn out to be.

Younger guys with far better upside than all but McCarthy and Anderson:
Ryan Sweeney
Josh Fields
Thomas Brice
Antoin Gray
Gio Gonzalez
Tyler Lumsden
Wes Whisler
Sean Tracey

High A or Double-A for these guys, but definitely some talent that could surely turn a few heads during the spring. Lumsden didn't throw much after being drafted last year, but he was used often in college and after finally getting a chance to rest and restrengthen would not surprise me with a dominant year.
how could you forget about donald lucy, the catcher of the future?