PDA

View Full Version : Joey's Little Brother Alex?

Viva Medias B's
12-21-2004, 09:32 PM
The Score reported in its 9:20 p.m. update that the Sox are interested in Alex Cora.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:38 PM
ESPN 1000 reported this earlier today...

"White Sox interested in Alex Cora; Ben Davis may be re-signed..."
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43157

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 09:44 PM
If we give him utlity infielder money then I'm fine with it because we probably need one more bench player (or Harris could be relegated to the bench), but to spend more than 1 mil or so would be foolish.

DickAllen72
12-21-2004, 09:48 PM
If we give him utlity infielder money then I'm fine with it because we probably need one more bench player (or Harris could be relegated to the bench), but to spend more than 1 mil or so would be foolish.

We don't really need Cora. He's just an older, less speedy version of Willie Harris with not as much potential. I'd rather have Eckstein.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:54 PM
We don't really need Cora. He's just an older, less speedy version of Willie Harris with not as much potential. I'd rather have Eckstein.Agreed. I'd rather see Willie play than waste money on Cora. On the other hand, Eckstein can hit, get on base, steal bases, and plays SS. He would be a perfect fit. Plus, the guy would be great in the media. He writes children's books and donates his earnings to charities. I still think he will end up with the Cardinals though. :whiner: They need a SS badly unless they plan on starting Hector Luna. :tongue:

zach074
12-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Havent we had enough problems with brothers on our team?

DaleJRFan
12-21-2004, 11:41 PM
The Score reported in its 9:20 p.m. update that the Sox are interested in Alex Cora.
God, I hope not. He SUCKS.

LASOXFAN
12-21-2004, 11:43 PM
God, I hope not. He SUCKS.
He sucks? Wow. He and Izturus were considered the best double play combo in the league last season, how can you say he sucks?

DaleJRFan
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
He sucks? Wow. He and Izturus were considered the best double play combo in the league last season, how can you say he sucks?.314 career OBP and .666 OPS = SUCKS.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/coraal01.shtml

He will be NO better than Harris at second. Spend the cash elsewhere. We have a decent 2B and a valid backup in Valdez. Pick up Eckstein instead.

Win1ForMe
12-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I would so much rather have Eckstein simply because he's a righty and you can platoon him with Willie. Cora, on the other hand, is basically a Willie clone in that he plays only against RHP.

I'm just afraid that with Willie/Cora, Podsednik, and Everett (playing for Frank early in the year) we'll again struggle against LHP like we did last year.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:58 PM
.314 career OBP and .666 OPS = SUCKS.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/coraal01.shtml

He will be NO better than Harris at second. Spend the cash elsewhere. We have a decent 2B and a valid backup in Valdez. Pick up Eckstein instead.Agreed. Unless we get Eckstein, I'd rather just see Willie at 2B over Cora. He's not much of an upgrade over Willie, if at all.

MRKARNO
12-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Agreed. I'd rather see Willie play than waste money on Cora. On the other hand, Eckstein can hit, get on base, steal bases, and plays SS. He would be a perfect fit. Plus, the guy would be great in the media. He writes children's books and donates his earnings to charities. I still think he will end up with the Cardinals though. :whiner: They need a SS badly unless they plan on starting Hector Luna. :tongue: Eckstein can hit? (.252 AVG 3 HR 2003, .272 AVG .339 OBP 2004) Get on base? (.325 OBP 2003 .339 OBP) Stealing bases (only 16 in each of last 2 years, nothing spectacular) and play SS (Cora can too) granted. He might be a good person, but he's not really a good player as he can't hit or get on base. I guess he probably would have been more valuable to us than Jose Valentin last year, but that isn't saying much. I'd prefer Harris-Uribe over any combo of Eckstein and one of the two. Cora isnt that great either, but I think he wouldnt make a bad utility IFer.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Eckstein can hit? (.252 AVG 3 HR 2003, .272 AVG .339 OBP 2004) Get on base? (.325 OBP 2003 .339 OBP) Stealing bases (only 16 in each of last 2 years, nothing spectacular) and play SS (Cora can too) granted. He might be a good person, but he's not really a good player as he can't hit or get on base. I guess he probably would have been more valuable to us than Jose Valentin last year, but that isn't saying much. I'd prefer Harris-Uribe over any combo of Eckstein and one of the two.Did you only look at his last year's numbers? He has declined a bit but that could've been due to injury.

LASOXFAN
12-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Agreed. Unless we get Eckstein, I'd rather just see Willie at 2B over Cora. He's not much of an upgrade over Willie, if at all.
But he "sucks"?

get a clue

MRKARNO
12-22-2004, 12:05 AM
I'd just as well see Mark Grudzielanek as the backup 2B or platoon man with willie than Cora or Eckstein with Valdez for shortstop and Uribe confined to 3B and SS

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 12:18 AM
But he "sucks"?

get a clue:?:

popilius
12-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Willie Harris has got one more shot to prove he should be out there everyday at 2nd base. I think he's proved it with the glove, but let's see what he can do in a lineup with Podsednik. Cora's a good contact hitter, but his AVG and OBP is really comparable to Willie's. Plus, Cora only has 7 stolen bases the last 2 years combined! I'd take Eckstein first, but the Uribe-Harris combo should get a chance to prove itself, and I think it will.

If Willie can improve his hitting a bit, get on base more and starting taking off on the base paths (hopefully with the help of Raines and Pod), he'll be an exciting player to have.

Still, we should probably have another middle infielder you could trust, unless you think Wilson Valdez is the answer. Probably not.

I hear Mickey Morandini's planing a comeback!

:gulp:

Man Soo Lee
12-22-2004, 01:05 AM
I'd just as well see Mark Grudzielanek as the backup 2B or platoon man with willie than Cora or Eckstein with Valdez for shortstop and Uribe confined to 3B and SS That would be tough with the current make-up of the team. If they carry 11 pitchers (and it's often been 12), there are 5 bench spots available. When Frank is healthy, you've got Burke, Everett, Gload, Timo, plus one infielder. So if Willie gets a platoon partner, he has to be able to play SS also.

Three left-handed hitting corner guys might not be the best use of the bench spots.

FightingBillini
12-22-2004, 02:51 AM
I hear Mickey Morandini's planing a comeback!

:gulp:
:tealpolice:
I hear you dont know what teal looks like

DaleJRFan
12-22-2004, 02:56 AM
But he "sucks"?

get a clue
glad to see you back up your argument(s).

He's bad, and is cheap so the Sox will sign him. Then you'll be happy. He'll hit 220 and I'll be right.

Baines2Raines
12-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Did you only look at his last year's numbers? He has declined a bit but that could've been due to injury.
So why would you want a guy who's numbers are decreasing and could be injury prone?

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 03:18 AM
So why would you want a guy who's numbers are decreasing and could be injury prone?Yes, any injury a baseball player has instantly makes him injury-prone. :rolleyes:

Eckstein is a career .278 AVG / .347 OBP hitter. Do you just want to pray that Willie can do better than that? By the way, Willie is a career .240 AVG / .305 OBP hitter.

Baines2Raines
12-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Yes, any injury a baseball player has instantly makes him injury-prone. :rolleyes:

Eckstein is a career .278 AVG / .347 OBP hitter. Do you just want to pray that Willie can do better than that? By the way, Willie is a career .240 AVG / .305 OBP hitter.
Eckstien has is terrible wiht the glove, even at 2nd. He's overrated because the media and public love a story about an overacheiver. Look at the talent he's been surrounded by.

OEO Magglio
12-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Either Cora or Eck are perfect fits for this club. Both fit the "grinder" description kenny is looking at, both would be perfect number 2 hitters to bat behind spod and move rowand down to the 3 spot(or maybe 6), Cora is a great defender and while eck isn't the best shortstop, I think he'd be a fine second baseman because his weak arm wouldn't be overexposed at 2b. I'd love to have either guy and I really do believe the sox will have cora signed very, very soon, jmo.

hold2dibber
12-22-2004, 08:14 AM
As someone else pointed out, Cora isn't a good fit for this team, because he's basically in the same mold as Harris. The Sox would be much better off, IMHO, with a right handed hitting utility infielder who can play 2B, SS & 3B. Eckstein might be a decent fit, but there's no way in all hell he'll end up here - someone will give him a starting job and the Sox won't (or certainly shouldn't) do that. I still say Miguel Cairo is the perfect pick-up. He hits lefties really well (whereas Harris is terrible against lefties) and can play all the infield positions. He'll be dirt cheap and he's a hard nosed ball player. If the Sox sign him for about $1 million or $1.5 million, they still may have money (even after signing El Duque) to pick up another bullpen arm, like Chris Hammond.

wdelaney72
12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Order of preference.

1. Eckstein
2. Grudzielanek
3. Cairo
4. Cora

I would put Grudz over Eckstein in that he's a bit more of a consistent hitter, but Grudz may have health issues. Cairo I like, but I think he's going to command a bit more money than the others. I agree that Cora is not much of an upgrade over Willie. If anything, maybe it would be a kick in the ass to Willie to perform consistently, otherwise he can ride the pine.

infohawk
12-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Yes, any injury a baseball player has instantly makes him injury-prone. :rolleyes:

Eckstein is a career .278 AVG / .347 OBP hitter. Do you just want to pray that Willie can do better than that? By the way, Willie is a career .240 AVG / .305 OBP hitter.True, but Willie has only spent one continuous season in the majors. Lets compare the first full-season performances of two second basemen:

Player A
125 Games .257 AVG. .309 .OBP

Player B
129 Games .262 AVG. .334 .OBP

Player B, Willie Harris, had the better offensive inaugural season. Player A is Ray Durham. Its difficult to know if Willie will go on to have as good a career as Ray, but clearly there is no reason to conclude that Willie isn't a good player. Give him some time to develop. The only justification for replacing him is if his replacement is an established, proven veteran with solid numbers. Neither Eckstein nor Cora are significantly better than Willie. I still think that the best move would be to get Willie a platoon partner who can hit left-handed pitching.